[Poll] Would you be a hero?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by lychee, Dec 3, 2019.

Tags:
?

What is the lowest probability of success that you would consider being a hero?

1. 100% - I would only agree if my success is guaranteed

1 vote(s)
    1.6%
  2. 99%

1 vote(s)
    1.6%
  3. 95%

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 90% - 9 out of 10 chance of success

6 vote(s)
    9.7%
  5. 80%

1 vote(s)
    1.6%
  6. 75%

1 vote(s)
    1.6%
  7. 66%

2 vote(s)
    3.2%
  8. 50% - 1 out of 2 chance of success

6 vote(s)
    9.7%
  9. 33%

2 vote(s)
    3.2%
  10. 25%

2 vote(s)
    3.2%
  11. 20%

2 vote(s)
    3.2%
  12. 10% - 1 out of 10 chance of success

1 vote(s)
    1.6%
  13. 5%

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. 1%

2 vote(s)
    3.2%
  15. 0% - I would agree even if I was doomed to fail

11 vote(s)
    17.7%
  16. I wouldn’t agree - I don’t want to be a hero

6 vote(s)
    9.7%
  17. I wouldn’t agree - I prefer a quiet life

5 vote(s)
    8.1%
  18. I wouldn’t agree - I don’t like to take risks

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  19. I wouldn’t agree - I don’t like having a big responsibility

3 vote(s)
    4.8%
  20. I wouldn’t agree - I distrust the Celestial

4 vote(s)
    6.5%
  21. I wouldn’t agree - I think I would fail regardless of the odds

1 vote(s)
    1.6%
  22. I wouldn’t agree - Other reason

1 vote(s)
    1.6%
  23. I’m unsure

3 vote(s)
    4.8%
  24. I do not wish to respond

1 vote(s)
    1.6%
  1. lychee

lychee [- slightly morbid fruit -] ❀[ 恋爱? ]❀

Reading List:
    Link
    :blobhero::blobhero::blobhero: I often hear people on NUF saying “I’m not a hero” to explain their response to a poll, so here’s a poll to test this question!

You died, and before you re-entered the Circle of Life, the Celestial of You’re My Only Hope stopped you before you reincarnated like a regular person.

The Celestial tells a very complicated and compelling five-hour story about how her universe is in dire peril, and without any intervention, everyone will perish from the destruction of the world perpetrated by a Very Bad Evil Organization (VBEO).

The Celestial has been searching recently dead souls to reincarnate as her chosen hero, but she only has a limited amount of divine power and can only grant one person the special power necessary to save the world. Consequently, she has to make her choice very carefully.

For unspecified reasons, the Celestial believes that only an unusual hero with very specific features has the potential to the save the world.

Incidentally, you are a match!

You fulfill the criteria to be a hero!

If you agree to reincarnate as her hero, you will retain your memories from your past life and receive an unspecified special power.

+ + +

The Celestial has the power to see multiple branching futures, and she has the ability to predict the probability of your success by looking at the future.

Your probability of success is... not high.

However, it is better than anyone else that the Celestial has ever encountered.

She refuses to tell you the details about the predicted future(s), because she claims that your fate will change if she tells you anything — rendering the predictions useless. In fact, she says that knowing the future will reduce the probability of your success anyways.

She also refuses to tell you why you are the one most suitable for this role, as well as the details of the special power you will be receiving — citing that knowing both of these things in advance will reduce the probability of your success.

+ + +

She does tell you that if you succeed at saving the world, you will spend the rest of your days in happiness, wealth, luxury, comfort, and various other good things that you will be satisfied with.

She refuses to tell you what will happen if you fail — and says that it will simply be a horrible bad end.

If you refuse to be her hero, you will reincarnate elsewhere as an average ordinary person in a boring setting, and your memories of your life on Earth will be erased per the standard reincarnation rule.

1. What is the lowest probability of success that you would consider being a hero?

2. Do you need some kind of additional incentive/reward to be a “hero”?

3. If nobody else can save the Celestial’s world except for you, would that change your response?

4. Suppose that the Celestial says that she can tell you why you were chosen — as well as the details of your special power — but it will reduce your probability of success by 50%. Would you still insist on knowing?

5. Describe your ideal “good ending”. What features are part of your happy ending?

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
    EmpactWB, NamGi, Nusan and 3 others like this.
  2. chucke

chucke Going towards the glorious future

Reading List:
    Link
    I am the hero :blobhero:

3. Osamaru

Osamaru 『Shem's Best Pal ✧ Lexi's Ani ✧ Hamster's Keeper』

Reading List:
    Link
    1. What is the lowest probability of success that you would consider being a hero?
    20% Probability is weird like that. Nothing is absolute and anything can change, so why not?

Access to Earth's Internet and perfect Memory. If you're "Job" is to save the world. Best way to do so is Information.

3. If nobody else can save the Celestial’s world except for you, would that change your response?

Not really? If the only other option is letting a bunch of people die needlessly because of Inaction, then that's not really an option to start with.

4. Suppose that the Celestial says that she can tell you why you were chosen — as well as the details of your special power — but it will reduce your probability of success by 50%. Would you still insist on knowing?

Rather my Question would be WHY would it decrease the chance first. Information is Key in all things. And if you know the WHY of the matter, then its easier to Control and Counter.

5. Describe your ideal “good ending”. What features are part of your happy ending?

There is no such thing as a "True" happy ending, because Life goes on with or without you. Life is a Hotpot of not only your actions, but those around you. the "Best" Solution would be one were there is as minimal lost of Life as possible, and a situation that's been stabilize well enough that you no longer have to interfere in any major way.

lychee, Nusan and leegood like this.
  4. Goki-chan

Goki-chan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Why is “I do not wish to respond” an option.

Edit: there’s a vote on it... I’m not upset

AMissingLinguist, lychee and leegood like this.
  5. A5G_Reaper

A5G_Reaper [DCLXVI, sohyee, and iampsyx's cute imouto]

Reading List:
    Link
    [​IMG]

I wonder how many will get this

GDLiZy, Cascadian Rex, Arash1 and 4 others like this.
  6. leegood

leegood Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    (~^o^)/ Rawr~
    (*.*)/ *blasts magic*
    (~^o^) Rawr~
    (x.x)
    5. Describe your ideal “good ending”. What features are p)art of your happy ending?

(~^o^) *returns to earth w/ teleportation*
    (~*o*)/ *steals @Osamaru 's candy*

lychee and Osamaru like this.
  7. Si Kucing

Si Kucing Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1. Tbh, no idea.....
    2. A companion that wouldn't betray me, but not being a yes man and reprove me when i made a mistake
    3. Hm....... wouldn't say i will say yes, but it will make me lean to it more........
    4. I want to know...... but if my chances are originaly 50 then wouldn't that made my chance 0? Ugh......
    5. The world is saved, and i get to spend the rest of my life in a quiet and peaceful retirement..... wealth? Luxury? Nah...... if i can have enough money to live a modest yet peaceful life for the rest of my life, then that is my ideal ending......

Conclusion: good luck finding someone else with better chance..... hello average life in an average world with average setting and family.....

lychee likes this.
  8. Osamaru

Osamaru 『Shem's Best Pal ✧ Lexi's Ani ✧ Hamster's Keeper』

Reading List:
    Link
    orz...

9. Seigin

Seigin [Lolicon][GenderBender Banzai!]

Reading List:
    Link
    at the very least it'll be 90% and for me to surely agree it'll be 100% I'm not a heroic kind of person.

YES, the power to grow exponentially.

NO

Nope, I can do it on my own.

As long as I don't regret the actions I committed in my play-through I'm okay with anything really....

leegood and lychee like this.
  10. Kairil

Kairil Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    0% - I'm dead anyway so why not try my hand at being a hero?

11. Arcadia Blade

Arcadia Blade ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ You can do it!!

Reading List:
    Link
    20-30% Heroes are like figures that tend to be on the spotlight. Way too opposite to me since i live in the shadows. Heroes tend to carry weight which is why i don't like responsibilities. Finally, having me been chosen is already sketchy enough to warrant me suspition.

A peaceful death.

Wao. They must really be that desperate since they chosen someone like me. I may have a goody-two shoe personality but i'll probably make the evil organization turn to heroes instead to what i'm about to do the human race.

Yeah. Nothing's gonna chance even if i know the truth. Thats how i know i have the ability to survive. Wait, you mean surviving this world not saving this world?
    If it was the past me, i'll probably create the ending of a peaceful way. Now? The best ending is selling all the humans to the alien race.

lychee likes this.
  12. Flyingfrogslash

Flyingfrogslash Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I would absolutely agree. After all I know exactly what I must do to win. All I gotta do is burn the rope. The power she would give me is the power to burn anything, even the unburnable. Obviously.

AMissingLinguist likes this.
  13. ArianDruj

ArianDruj Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    While I am not opposed to saving people the title hero is a stigma, and I dislike the trappings that come with it. Also I would do morally grey or flat out bad things, and I'm selfish. There are a lot of unspecified variables in the scenario, sobif I end up having to do something I dont agree with just to save a lot of people I dont know it's going to haunt and annoy me to the point of insanity

lychee likes this.
  14. VesperNyan

VesperNyan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Damn those goddess they just need despicable acts done at a reasonable price. Well I guess its time to go to Florida with my gay priest.

15. Karumin

Karumin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1. 33%

2. A hero's party! Don't wanna go alone to risk my life, better risk it in group! Lol

3. I guess. But reluctanly so.

4. Hope is bc I can have an harem of villains ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) lol, but no, I would not insist on knowing.

5. A leisurely happy life with my harem of villains~ ( ‾́ ◡ ‾́ )

Woho0, Nusan and lychee like this.
  16. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    90% :blobunsure:

Not sure :hmm:

Probably not or I will at least consider it more maybe :blobunsure:
    90 - 50 = 40% much inferior to 90% so no I will probably not insist :blobunsure:

No bad or evil in the world maybe (it would be a disappointment if after saving the world, bad things keep happening so, no more bad things in the world is a good thing to aim for) :hmm:

lychee likes this.
  17. Nusan

Nusan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link

i think 10%

well companion that have at least common knowledge and won't betray me (i would be happy if this companion was pretty girl but can be a guy)

no

no but i would ask her what important information about world or differences of my and this world that knowing about could help me in the task or safe me trouble

slow life were i can read books all day maybe have harem or wife or life alone who knows? oh right i don't want to life close to big amount of people since i want peace and not "look it hero!!" it would tire me out very quickly

18. Pyoo

Pyoo ☀ Summer Melody ☀

Reading List:
    Link
    Im waiting for someone to explain

lychee likes this.
  19. acip80x3jfse

acip80x3jfse Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Denial of a moral narrative which goes on to expand to outright denial of objective/universal morality culminating in the claim of futility of life and of course - heroism. Kino

Edit:
    Reference to Spec Ops... :unsure:
    Some sort of perspective art on the protagonist's trauma of some sort of having killed innocents. Things like delusional stories to stay as the 'hero' and unpalateable truth that
    you wouldn't want to take responsibilities for.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
    Pyoo likes this.
  20. A5G_Reaper

A5G_Reaper [DCLXVI, sohyee, and iampsyx's cute imouto]

Reading List:
    Link
    Cascadian Rex likes this.