What does it mean to be special?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Lurking, Dec 1, 2019.

1. Lazriser

Lazriser Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I see you're an adventurer of alignments as well.

Lurking likes this.
  2. Kadmos1

Kadmos1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It means you don't have to worry about some lame thread from me, @Ai chan, or @lychee.

3. Sakuratea

Sakuratea A Cup ot Tea

Reading List:
    Link
    Special is something that is not average. I will be someone special among genius because i will be the only retard there.

4. Chilli_Chiia

Chilli_Chiia Trying to survive my courses

Reading List:
    Link
    Everyone is special in the perspectives of different people. Person A may not think that Person B is special, just an average individual but to Person C, Person B means the world to them. This may be the reason because to Person A, B is a random stranger or an acquaintance or classmate. To person C, B might be their child, their father, their mother, close friend or lover.

Loni4ever and Lurking like this.
  5. TiggerBane

TiggerBane Always asleep yep yep yep| Canidae lover

Reading List:
    Link
    Special is something that doesn't exist due to the infinite multiverses with infinite possibilities that reoccur infinitely at all times!

Lurking likes this.
  6. Snowbun

Snowbun

Reading List:
    Link

Everything's alright~ From nobody to somebody~ :blobmelt::blobmelt::blobmelt:

Loni4ever likes this.
  7. Loni4ever

Loni4ever The Fluffy White Wolf

Reading List:
    Link
    What a nice thread~ I really like a lot of the answers :blobxd:

As for my answer, I'll quote lychee:
    Put simply, "special" = "unusual" imo. For me personally, it also conveys a sense of higher value.

To give a more detailed answer: For there to even be a term like that, you first need multiple things that can be perceived and at least one perceiver, who will set the criteria for what is unusual/special and valuable and categorize the perceived things accordingly. Without a perceiver, there's no such thing as normal or special, and I find it fascinating how much perception differs from person to person. E.g. concerning unusualness, some people pay attention to the color and size of an object, while others mostly pay attention to its shape. So A may notice the huge black boulder amongst a heap of stones, while B may notice the heart shaped rock.
    And e.g. concerning value, people find different traits valuable, like professional expertise and skill vs. emotional intelligence and social competence. So A may admire their boss, who's incredibly skilled and well-versed in his field, while B may admire their boss' secretary, who handles the workplace's atmosphere and deals with business partners remarkably well.
    It's in the eyes of the beholder. :blob_grin:

As for what makes sth special in my eyes specifically :hmm: ... I'm not sure what exactly I notice. I do know what I value → perceive as special though. Some examples would be exceptional skill/knowledge (in basically any area, be it business, art creation or appraisal, social, emotional control, awareness, etc.). Or stuff of comparatively enormous emotional "value", like awesome interactions with people I like and get along with well, or doing sth really exciting and fun. I'm sure there's more though :blob_grin:

For me, nu/nuf is special~ it's a great place to find novels and exchange with people who have at least some area of interest in common with you :blobuwu:

Snowbun and Lurking like this.
  8. acip80x3jfse

acip80x3jfse Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Other than the common class of Special being a synonym between Uncommon and Valuable
    I have seen its use as an insult: in that someone is mentally deficient.

Lurking likes this.
  9. Lurking

Lurking Do the dead suffer, or is it a sweet release?

Reading List:
    Link
    thats true

which usage do you prefer,
    special snowflake (insult) or special if only to me (compliment)

10. Oddwaffle

Oddwaffle Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If everyone are fish in a can then you are a cooked parasite pretending to be a fish.

You are different, not because you want to be different but because you don't really fit in anywhere including with yourself or the internet. You are a lurker who doesn't actually lurk. A leech that can't leech but can't give either.

Equally worthless but somehow useful.

11. Mnotia

Mnotia The Trash Man

Reading List:
    Link
    My meaning of a special person is just you being you. No one person is the same. We might think dumb shit like "oh s/he is just like the others" or other dumb shit. Every person to ever exist is a being of their own machination. You are you and I am me.

I is not we and it never will be.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
    Lurking likes this.