Question The man picked up by the gods reboot

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Akaeye, Dec 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Akaeye

Akaeye Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    From what I heard, the reboot is almost identical to the original until volume 3, but the reboot has 180 chapters in v3, so can I assume the story as branched off from the original in v3? And should I read or continue waiting?

2. vancenick

vancenick Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    More details were add and added character development and I think a few new characters but I can’t remember

Akaeye likes this.
  3. eulerman

eulerman Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    At this point in the translation the novel changed enough to read it. The main parts in the plot are the same but the last two trips/arcs are new in the reboot.

Unlike the original there is no demon king/god plot for now, which I think was the part that made the author reboot it (aside from showing off ryouma grow too fast)

Akaeye likes this.
  4. Lynxfury

Lynxfury Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I like the reboot and i'm having fun reading it. It's a bit slower paced, in a good way, and Ryouma is becoming much more connected to the world and its people in it. By the current chapter it has truly branched off in a new direction I believe.

I don't actually know why they rebooted as I've never looked into it, but based on my opinions and the reboot itself I think the old story got caught in the traps of power creep and enemy cycling. I think they set out to write an OP slice-of -life and ended up with a battle manga.

Power creep is where the protagonist gets stronger so the next enemy gets stronger so the protagonist gets stronger and the cycle continues forever. Aka, dragonball.
    Enemy cycling is the writing style where there is ALWAYS a next enemy. For the protagonist its like whack-a-mole, and for the writer it means a story where the plot is driven by the foes. Conversely for such stories, when there is no foe there is often no progress in the plot.

Some of the first changes you'll notice reading the reboot are various hostile characters NOT showing up and/or new ones who he is already strong enough to beat. And the differences this makes is huge.

kenar and Akaeye like this.
  5. rosyprimrose

rosyprimrose Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Reboot basically fleshes out alot of things that were mentioned after the fact in the first one. It has better character development as it shows how he got where he did as opposed to showing all his achievements without knowing how it happened in detail.

kenar and Akaeye like this.
  6. Akaeye

Akaeye Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks for the reply ya'll, im going to go on a 20 hour road trip soon so I'll be reading it then.

kenar likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.