Scared of Japanese Ghost Stories?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Siostar, Dec 4, 2019.

?

Are you scared of ghost stories?

1. ...I don't dare to take a grimt.

2. Yeah...

3. I scared! But I kinda like them.

4. I fine! Well... if it's not cursed...

5. Not at all, I don't believe in this stuff.

6. HAHAHAHA! They can just come at me!

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. ludagad

ludagad Addicted to escapist novels

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't find them scary, but I find them interesting. I'm more concerned about finding the mystery behind it and the set up in which the characters get scared/haunted/killed. For example (though it's Thai) I loved Shutter(https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0440803/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_4) precisely because of the good backstory and the overall development and the ending. Haven't found a horror in this sub-genre to top it yet.

NekoMK2 likes this.
  2. NekoMK2

NekoMK2 Lazy cat, [self proclaimed GM_Rusaku Disciples]

Reading List:
    Link
    nah even the folklore one japan still can be tracked its origin mostly except some commons one like kappa or others commons youkai
    as for Indonesian one, the modern one still hard from where this even come only get popular because media like movie or TV example Suster ngesot or Ghost of Jeruk Purut(a graveyard) there hardly any backstory its just some how blown up because movie

3. Kadmos1

Kadmos1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If the Japanese ghost story involves @lychee, it is an absolute nightmare!

4. Siostar

Siostar Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well... Who knows? Some things are better left unknown... and it seems Indonesia think so too?
    @lychee is sooo delicious! How could a ghost's favorite fruit not be q lychee!?

AMissingLinguist likes this.
  5. NekoMK2

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe as you says, thought i kinda think its stupid. As much i belive something unseen is there (spirit,djin,devil, satan and friend) a human soul or wandering soul is a big NO since soul rest in other dimension from "living" and yeah i thought those unseen bunch also considered "living" being but different spectrum so we hardly able to interact

6. rosie94hrpr

rosie94hrpr Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Probs shouldn't read this while in an empty house late at night...too late.

AMissingLinguist, NekoMK2 and Siostar like this.
  7. wantek

wantek Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    remind me of fatal frame series i have on my desk. until today i never cleared the game cuz its too scary (lol)
    i can handle JP horror novel and story just fine, but i can't stand those in movie or video game format

8. Siostar

Reading List:
    Link
    I guess they can be quite lively...
    Well, the books depend on the readers imagination, while games and movies has both visual and audio part of the horror..

9. NekoMK2

Reading List:
    Link
    Its jump scare, that thing nothing but shit only to make people have heart attack

AMissingLinguist likes this.
  10. Lazriser

Lazriser Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Not unless you read a certain artist surprise bad ending 180 twist ghost story! Like what the fuck H artist!? Sex then suddenly the couple or guy gets killed by a ghost!
    It seems you are a follower of heretical arts as well.

11. Osamaru

Osamaru 『Shem's Best Pal ✧ Lexi's Ani ✧ Hamster's Keeper』

Reading List:
    Link
    wut?

12. Lazriser

Lazriser Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    ?

I'm typing on my phone so it's kinda hard to convey what I mean. But yeah, one is about a H artist ghost stories bad endings while the other is a reference.

13. Deleted member 213850

Deleted member 213850 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    I love Japanese urban legends! And a lot of creepy pastas and Saya In The Underworld to boot. But despite being skeptical most of the time, here will always be that small voice inside my head that whispers "...but what if it's real?"

Siostar likes this.
  14. Captain_Ironfoundersson

Captain_Ironfoundersson Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Also known as penanggal, which means detacher. She detached her head and her internal organs from her body during the night and recombined before dawn.

15. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    19656.png
    sure~
    people believe somehow make thing become better or worse
    sigh actually the correct way is go to "professional" to deal with such thing
    really~
    19637.png

16. Siostar

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh, jump scare? I remember one that was supposed to be one, but the one my class saw was a short japanese horror movie... Most of them laughed at it because the end just got an abrupt jump to death? Like, what the hack happened!? He die just like that!? LOL

Well... that was supposed to be an example on jump scare om the horror theme... which japanese horror was known for?

17. Nightow1

Nightow1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Jump scare is something suddenly jumping out at you and surprising you, like hiding in a box then popping out, not committing suicide lol.

And what do video games teach us about ghost stories? That a shotgun solves all problems lol. Or an RPG-7. :p

Siostar, AMissingLinguist and NekoMK2 like this.
  18. NekoMK2

Reading List:
    Link
    Like what nightow1 above me said, no jump scare about suicide but jump scare where ghost suddenly full appear in front bringing aspect suprise

19. AMissingLinguist

AMissingLinguist [Not Here][Blank Sect][Nuffian #N]

Reading List:
    Link
    Those damn ghosts and their pyramid schemes. I won't fall for your lies! :blobcat_rawr: Go steal legs from the morgue, you stupid ghosts. Dead bodies don't need their legs anymore. How did they even get into my house? Use the door for politeness' sake. Now I'm stuck in a rant because ghosts are not beings of logic.

How does an immaterial thing interact with material things? It would have to be a two way lane, because the laws of physics can't be overturned just for ghosts to be "special". Logic dictates that ghosts can't be seen or interacted with because there's no such thing as "ghostly essence". The argument for ghosts just devolves into arguments of philosophy, and philosophy is just how people believe in things that can't be proven to be false. "God exists". How do people know that? People have written dissertations and books on the Christian god, and the argument is still ongoing. "Ghosts exists". What's the proof? I'm no expert in philosophy or beliefs, but I do think Empiricism and Rationalism are the only valid ways to prove or disprove things.

Also, ghosts have been proven multiple times to not exist in most places of ghost sightings. The devices used to detect "ghost" signatures work the same in other places as well. The device is actually detecting the electromagnetic spectrum, and it's most likely the electromagnetic fields are affecting people's minds in negative ways.

NekoMK2 likes this.