Nastriumden/Joell55 - Number One Zombie Wife

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by LaDyViL, Jun 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
  2. Joell55

Joell55 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Uum hello... this is the socalled mtl and google translator... man you need to stop on hating... I never say to anyone that hey upload my crappy translation on NU ... and on the issue of NOWZ... the other translator used plenty of threatning language... that was a no no... they said that i should post my translation but not link them on NU and the one who put up links did stop putting them on NU... only they then stopped and said we are stopping because nastriumden is doing it... So even after I aggreed to their request even with the threats i did the work up to ch 199 they still remained at chapter 66... so my fault is exactly where?... about the issue of mtl... this is the most funny one... chinese words sometimes have more than one meaning like the word Hao it could mean okay as in yes and sometimes it could mean yeah... good depend on how it is used... I use mtl as a standing verb proofreader... but i have stopped doing that because my graps on chinese has actually improved.... and for all the other badly translated works they are all slotted for a retranslation

3. Joell55

Joell55 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    and I would like to add something among all this complaints ... I use microsoft word and I always check the readerbility and my translations are always ranging from 79%- 80% with the reading grade 4.0-5.0 which mean s my translation can be read by a 5th grader.... I f you cant read something that can be read my a 5th grader... i'm pretty sure there is problem in your end.... all the works i have done before are slotted for a retranslation ooh by the way im getting ready to poach True Star and SCI and Death Notice.... Im going to say sorry but we all know its too late to apologize

4. Nijuurasen

Nijuurasen Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    5th grader could read your gangrene sh1t sure, but can they UNDERSTAND it? Bcs i am an actual a 5th grader here and i cant understand sh1t

auraizen, Liyus, sleepchaser and 2 others like this.
  5. Joell55

Joell55 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think that speaks more about you than me... So far most of the people have been able to understand it albeit with some difficult but I did say my english is not the best and what I mean by that is the writing composition... You cant understand sh1t... Well ask yourself what is the reason why everyone gets A+ and you get 0+ Dont always blame the teacher.... Or maybe your eyes exist in the fourth dimension so what us poor three dimension translators creature's writing looks like gorgon-ape twatters... ooh I will use your word for it... Sh1t

6. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    eh it still going?
    fight yuru.png

AMissingLinguist likes this.
  7. RoseColouredSin

RoseColouredSin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My question is just why you translate from Chinese to English when you aren’t proficient in either? (You say that in a disclaimer on your site) Why don’t you translate from Chinese to your native language?

8. Joell55

Joell55 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You are funny... Why would I translate into a language spoken by less than 200 million people who are as homophobes as they come... Plus since when have I said I wasnt proficient in english, I said I wasnt good in chinese and english as a insuarance... even then why do I have to adhere to anyone standards? Or those set by your kind who think everyone should be the next jk rowling... You people are threatning and just plain awful and that is the reason why i didnt reply that person because she or he or they said stop translating... i was like excuse you! are you the BL popo? then they said they will snitch on me to novelupdate, I was like meeh go ahead. then when those threats failed they came with we will report you to the first translator and that when I lost it...

First of all my hands my eyes my phone my laptop my internet bundle and you think you can bring your hoity toity on my face talking and making threats?.... and on top of that telling me what to do?... MMh girl I need to give you a mirror and call you snow white... cause youre either a princess and think me a butler or youre living in neverland...

My translation used to be awful but no one is born knowing how to screw a nut we all learn through trials and fails ... my past translation were crap and I said I was going to re do them... but you people with your he is doing an mtl he is google translate... that was in the past and I used to use it as a guiding tool since chinese verbs sometimes has more than one meaning .... but no apparently you people look at past mistakes and bring them to the future, maybe i should remind you all pooped in your pants when you were little, but is someone calling you out for it now and constant reminding you that you used to pee in your pants... or is it because you can swish your hairs you think its all forgotten...

My past mistakes I admitted them and promised to do better... But if yall keep this insulting up i will use my crappy english to insult back.... sincerely

Now tell me does this look like an english from a moron who is not proficient in english... Its the written one that giving me a problem but i'm improving ... or wait do you not want me to improve... I have never stopped anyone from doing what they want... as long as they dont put their nose in my face...

9. Szara

Szara Your average American Psycho

Reading List:
    Link
  10. baka8roukanako

baka8roukanako Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You're only digging your grave deeper by offending other users. :blobamused:

Dummy and Jaspaaar like this.
  11. RoseColouredSin

Reading List:
    Link
    Woah woah, I would argue that you're the one being rude. I simply asked why translate to English because it genuinely didn't make sense to me. But let me respond to a few of your points.

"Why would I translate into a language spoken by less than 200 million people who are as homophobes as they come..."

I'm not sure what language you speak as your native tongue, but within all cultures and peoples there exist homophobes. Likewise, there exist people who support LGBT+ causes. Perhaps the people in support are of a less percentage in your culture, but I would argue that making media such as novels with LGBT+ relationships accessible to such communities is a way to introduce these type of ideas and overall promote acceptance.

"Plus since when have I said I wasnt proficient in english, I said I wasnt good in chinese and english as a insuarance..."

It was on your website which I noted in my previous comment.

"even then why do I have to adhere to anyone standards? Or those set by your kind who think everyone should be the next jk rowling..."

It's true that you don't have to adhere to anyone's standards; most of us in the thread are just expressing our mutual discontent for low quality MTL dump sites. I'm not sure what you're referring to by "my kind", but I don't think any translators need to be the next J.K. Rowling. J.K Rowling is an author, someone who writes stories of their own. Translators are people who interpret content from one language to another. If you are trying to rewrite stories when attempting to translate, I would say that is another concern.

"You people are threatning and just plain awful and that is the reason why i didnt reply that person because she or he or they said stop translating... i was like excuse you! are you the BL popo? then they said they will snitch on me to novelupdate, I was like meeh go ahead. then when those threats failed they came with we will report you to the first translator and that when I lost it..."

I believe you are referring the Number One Zombie Wife incident. Here is the issue, to clarify things as I think you are misconstruing it quite a bit. The very first translator for NOZW personally asked the author for permission to translate that novel, which was why it was so special. I assume the author wanted to confirm a certain quality so that their work was not mistranslated. Thus, when the first translator decided to stop translating, they requested that any translators who wanted to pick it up pass a test or directly contact the author for permission first. [Edit: I know this because I wanted to pick up NOZW as well. I contacted the previous translator but unfortunately did not pass the test, so I did not pick it up.] The Dummytranslations Team passed the test and successfully picked it up. Another individual translator started translating NOZW at around the same time and later merged with that team to work on NOZW. This was also when you began to mass release. I personally side with the Dummytranslations Team because they have always provided quality reading and because I would like to respect authors' wishes as much as possible. There is a lot of gray area in terms of translation permission on NU, but since the author was actually involved, I feel like it's different this time.

(cont. in another post)

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
  12. RoseColouredSin

Reading List:
    Link
    "First of all my hands my eyes my phone my laptop my internet bundle and you think you can bring your hoity toity on my face talking and making threats?.... and on top of that telling me what to do?"

I'm sure what threats you are referring to? I have not instructed you to do anything you do not wish to. Likewise, various other commentors and I can rant about our frustrations with MTL on this post.

"MMh girl I need to give you a mirror and call you snow white... cause youre either a princess and think me a butler or youre living in neverland..."

I assume you think this is a "sick roast" but this is just an unwarranted comment.

"My translation used to be awful but no one is born knowing how to screw a nut we all learn through trials and fails ... my past translation were crap and I said I was going to re do them... but you people with your he is doing an mtl he is google translate... that was in the past and I used to use it as a guiding tool since chinese verbs sometimes has more than one meaning .... but no apparently you people look at past mistakes and bring them to the future, maybe i should remind you all pooped in your pants when you were little, but is someone calling you out for it now and constant reminding you that you used to pee in your pants... or is it because you can swish your hairs you think its all forgotten..."

Apologies, but this is where I think things get a bit intelligible. I agree that people learn through failing a lot at the beginning. Actually, looking through your translations from way back on Wattpad to now on your website, I do see improvement, so good on that. Onto MTL and Google Translate: MTL stands for Machine Translation. If you are using Google Translate, you are mtling, or Machine Translating. That doesn't necessarily mean it's bad. I point to you Rainbow Turtle and Snowy Notes who use MTL wonderfully. But onto this thing about using Google Translate as a "guide". If you are concerned about Chinese verbs having more than one meaning, try using a dictionary. Two of my favorites are Pleco and MDBG. As for the rest of that paragraph, thank you for reminding me as children we don't know how to use the bathroom? I'm not quite sure what additional point you were attempting to make.

"My past mistakes I admitted them and promised to do better... But if yall keep this insulting up i will use my crappy english to insult back.... sincerely

Now tell me does this look like an english from a moron who is not proficient in english... Its the written one that giving me a problem but i'm improving ... or wait do you not want me to improve... I have never stopped anyone from doing what they want... as long as they dont put their nose in my face..."

Great! I would love if you were able to improve and provide quality MTL to novel community. I don't recall insulting you the way you tried to insult me on your post, but sure. Your English was relatively coherent so kudos to that. I would suggest making use of proper capitalization and punctuation as well as removing the excessive ellipses and random bold font for improvement next time :) As for "sticking our noses into your face", this was literally rant thread about NovelTom, MTL etc. You were mentioned, but you didn't have to jump in if you wanted to stay out of it.

You've mentioned re-translating the novels you didn't do justice in the past, and I fully support that. If you could do that before picking up new novels, I feel like that would be even better since stats show once a novel has been picked up by a mass-MTL release site, other translators are less inclined to pick it up for re-translation.

Jadecherries, auraizen, Liyus and 5 others like this.
  13. Joell55

Joell55 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So let me get this first right you asked why do I need to translate it in english... Well most of the people who read my crappy translation are english speakers and I mean 60-70% user who visited the wattapd account and the blog are from USA and english majority speaking countries... So why would I translate something people can't read isnt that stupid... ooh forgive... and say if i were to traslate it into xhosa... how many americans speak it yet alone read it? would you read a BL translation in xhosa if itranslated it... ps i'm not South African im just making a point...

Hahahah ... youre funny share this within my community to spread LGBT+ and create awareness... At the first mention of so called gay world i would be set on fire... mmh I want to live so excuse me!

You say youre expressing you views on MTL dumpsite? I dont care if you are discussing your views or whatever... but why mention me? you could just express yourself without naming names... You could say I hate MTL sites I wouldnt give it a second thought but you had to mention me in the mix. my Blog is an MTL dumpiste to you?... Do you people even care about how your words affect others? Someone who worked hard... so yeah his workd is not perfect but to call it an outright MTL dumpsite... f it was a dumpsite why would I take months to finsih a story why not copy and paste that takes about few hours to post an entire story in its complete form. MTL dumpsite... Just becasue someone translation is subpar that is still someone work, someone worked hard for it, and here you come and go uugh MTL dumpsite... Jesus the sheer arrogance of it all is stifling... I dare you go and compare my translation if they come back 100% MTL I will stop. If you dont want to read then dont read... is that soo hard you even have to go online to bash someone too? many stories are getting abandoned and people ask me to pick them cause that bad translation you call its equal to MTL its enough for some if its not good enough for you then move on...

A translation is basically an attempt to rewrite of the author meant to potray because no one other than the original thought person can actually capture the essense of the work... Me Im just doing my best turning language a into language b.... call whatever you want to call it i just call it translation....

This is what I dont understand no translations of the same thing will be the same... since we are no the same people even then traslation will vary even if a person does it for a second time or a thrid time... So I really dont have to translate a copy of your translation for mine to be passed as okay....

Did I tell the Dummy translations to stop translating... So they just stopped their quality translation because this crappy translator was translating it... thats should matter to you because no one will go eat bugs if there is meat... You go do your stuff but dont say ooh I stopped translating because a person is translating something that just show you care about how you feel and not how your readers feel when you just call it quits... oky you have called it quits then what? what about those people who are waiting for your work to read... of course now thay have to go to the crappy translation which you screamed that it was crappy... to read instead of your good and clean translation...

One I will tell all everyone because there are plenty of translators who thinks theyre god gift on this earth.... I will never ask for your permission to translate something... So dont come to me and say you didnt ask for a permission.... because when you give someone the okay to say no chances are they will and then you will be caught in a bind becasue you asked you have to abide...

The issue about mass release... let me explain this to you... some translators spend what 3 to 10 hours a week to work ona translation.... Im addicted to this stuff... I use probably 10 hrs daily because I read as I work on a chapter... i'm a fast typer... basck then i was having a hard time becasue I was typing on a phone and on a phone you cant have a quality spell checker so when I moved to using s laptop inshallah my work has improved tremendeously and this is the reason why I decide to do a complete retraslation.... just few hours a go i did a test on new chapter on Emperor Stop Bothering Me the MTL to my translation comparison came back 3% andother one gave a 6% so imagine that and then someone comes adn say an MTL dumpsite... really a 3% to a 6% its called a dumpsite.... what will you call it when its at 100%

I have the emails that were sent to me... and the wattapad PMS... so sont tell me im confusing people heck one your people went to my wordpress site and called the readers that person asked why my readers were reading my translation? I mean really who does that these days?

This is what they posted on their website
    Translators notes:

Dummy: Hey yall, some of you might have already seen this coming, but we're sad to announce that we will be dropping this novel here. Many things have happened since we decided to pick up this novel but, a big thank you to readers who have been with us through it all. We really enjoyed translating it as much as you guys enjoyed reading it. Do continue supporting the translators of NOZW in their next project and feel free to reach out to them in the chatbox or through the comment section. And now, on to them...

THISBRO and death: And that's it for Number One Zombie Wife! Thank you for sticking to us for the duration of this journey and for enjoying/loving this wonderful novel. Unfortunately, this will be where we stop as the author, 金元宝, has specifically requested we not translate after her free chapters. Let us mourn together....

But not to fear, for we are here with another pit novel for y'all to jump into, "Fake Demon Lord" has captured THISBRO’s soul and has conned the [not so] innocent deathbutlowkey into its vicious claws, so you can look forward to seeing that translated next ^^

As per highlighted lines they decided to stop at chapter 66 becuase the author said so... so what happens to the people who wait for them... nothing which mean you drive on the freeway and all of a suddenly you see a no road ahead.... so everyone will have to turn back and wait for another translator to pick it up... so the author stopped them... in the works they planned to stop at ch66 ... Me I didnt stop if the author sends me a stop order I will tell everyone... Guys we had a good ride but the person who owns the novel said we park here and everyone can go back to wherever they came from.... so where is my fault for picking a novel that was always meant to be dropped?

When the author gives a stop order I will post something like this too... but till then... im currenlty working on chapter 211 and mmh Mu Yi Fan is being attcked by Zhan Nan Tian and Zhan Bei Tian is coming to save him... I mean this novel is soo good... sorry for the other million people out there who are dying to read it even if its crappy.... yall come to the blog after 10 hours and go check the new chapters and compare them to an MTL ... you will actually be surprised.... forget about the past translation those will be reworked.... Im getting better and for all other translators out there who work hard... god bless yall keep making the BL commmunity happy.... PS we are not all jk rowling

14. Joell55

Joell55 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i could focus on the retranslation but why... people want the new ones.. i keep my retranslation in check and I do it but i also want to read new things ... and again with the quality MTL its not MTL... but if you think it is .... I wont fault you... would you believe that there are is a community of people who believe that the earth is flat... phew they ran a segment on al jazeera some few months ago... soevn I know that I can convice everyone... all I can do I translate and translate.... they ranted about them .... but i was mentioned and I always believe in making a point heard.... I dont do MTL and I'm improving and Im happy .... thats what matters

15. Dummy

Dummy Need nyans

Reading List:
    Link
    Hi, if only you could read, you would be able to see that I already said you were not the main reason why my group dropped it. However, prior to that, we dropped you a couple of emails while we were in the midst of translating it(several times to which you did not bother to respond to at all). My translators have been extremely courteous to you, but you have chosen to ignore our polite attempts to reach out to you and communicate directly which is a blatant disregard for any of our feelings and efforts, yet you want to talk about feelings (I quote: "Do you people even care about how your words affect others?")

Secondly, we did not tell you to stop translating, but merely to remove it from Novelupdates so that it wouldn't interfere with the numbering order since we were actively translating it then. This is because many of our readers have reached out to us to express their concern and confusion which we were hoping to address alongside with you. Unfortunately, you once again, felt above yourself to bother with us. You are not the first, and certainly not the last. Other groups had also picked up NOZW around the same time with us (Flyinglines - thank you for your understanding), which we had promptly resolved with good feelings.

Also, if you had some common courtesy to bother and check the author's website, you would be able to see that she did not explicitly tell US to stop translating, but only mentioned that the free chapters are available for translation which we chose to respect. So your words of 'if the author gives the order to stop, i will post something like that too.' is completely laughable because it's clear to see you do not care about the readers, the translators and the author at all. You only care about yourself.

(Quote: Guys we had a good ride but the person who owns the novel said we park here and everyone can go back to wherever they came from.... so where is my fault for picking a novel that was always meant to be dropped?) You started it before we even dropped it. In fact, it was into the first ten chapters when we started so it wasn't even closed to being dropped. Your point?

Last but not least, translation is supposed to be an enjoyable event for both translators and readers, unfortunately you took it upon yourself to stir up unhappiness and anger among all of us here. And for that, I hope you do feel proud of yourself :)

Dragon_Reader, Liyus, Japorea and 4 others like this.
  16. RoseColouredSin

Reading List:
    Link
    "So let me get this first right you asked why do I need to translate it in english... Well most of the people who read my crappy translation are english speakers and I mean 60-70% user who visited the wattapd account and the blog are from USA and english majority speaking countries... So why would I translate something people can't read isnt that stupid... ooh forgive... and say if i were to traslate it into xhosa... how many americans speak it yet alone read it? would you read a BL translation in xhosa if itranslated it... ps i'm not South African im just making a point..."

Clarification because I don't think you understood what I meant: I wasn't saying that English readers would go read a translation in another language--that doesn't make any sense--I was saying that if you have better command over a different language, why not translate CN novels to that language? I'm not sure what level your CN is, but if you know a language better, the translation is likely to be better. Yes most Wattpad users read English, but you see other languages like Portuguese, Indonesian etc. on there as well. Fandoms start small anyway.

You then reply with this:

"Hahahah ... youre funny share this within my community to spread LGBT+ and create awareness... At the first mention of so called gay world i would be set on fire... mmh I want to live so excuse me!"

The internet is largely anonymous. Unless you're in North Korea or under a totalitarian regime that literally controls everything, I would say for the most part you're safe. Furthermore, these are just webnovels that a very small percentage of people even view in the first place. I don't think mobs would come to your door to burn you at the stake. Just because as a whole your culture doesn't accept something, there are still other people like you who do out there. I mean, CN doesn't even legally allow LGBT stuff but that's where all the danmei is coming from. If you don't want to put yourself out there, that's fine--it was just a suggestion.

"You say youre expressing you views on MTL dumpsite? I dont care if you are discussing your views or whatever... but why mention me? you could just express yourself without naming names... You could say I hate MTL sites I wouldnt give it a second thought but you had to mention me in the mix. my Blog is an MTL dumpiste to you?... Do you people even care about how your words affect others? Someone who worked hard... so yeah his workd is not perfect but to call it an outright MTL dumpsite... f it was a dumpsite why would I take months to finsih a story why not copy and paste that takes about few hours to post an entire story in its complete form. MTL dumpsite... Just becasue someone translation is subpar that is still someone work, someone worked hard for it, and here you come and go uugh MTL dumpsite... Jesus the sheer arrogance of it all is stifling... I dare you go and compare my translation if they come back 100% MTL I will stop. If you dont want to read then dont read... is that soo hard you even have to go online to bash someone too? many stories are getting abandoned and people ask me to pick them cause that bad translation you call its equal to MTL its enough for some if its not good enough for you then move on..."

Clearly, calling out NovelTom by name got them taken down, so identifying things by name is helpful. If someone started a thread that just vaguely said "I hate MTL sites" names would still start flying around as people speculate. I never said that I hated MTL sites, I even linked 2 that I think are wonderful. They could also be called MTL dump sites, so it's not inherently bad. I think most of us are just irked on quality. If you think we are just haters, then ignore us. If we want to state our opinions, we will. I don't read your translations, maybe some people do, and that's great for them.

"A translation is basically an attempt to rewrite of the author meant to potray because no one other than the original thought person can actually capture the essense of the work... Me Im just doing my best turning language a into language b.... call whatever you want to call it i just call it translation....

This is what I dont understand no translations of the same thing will be the same... since we are no the same people even then traslation will vary even if a person does it for a second time or a thrid time... So I really dont have to translate a copy of your translation for mine to be passed as okay...."

I think this is referring to the test from the very first translator. It's not that your translation needed to be 100% the same to pass it, but I sure they were looking to see that certain details were captured, which may be hard to catch for someone with a lower level of CN.

Onto Dummy Translations:

I forgot that they later announced they would be dropping it, but here are a few issues.

1) I think the quality of Dummy Translations is higher than yours. Not an attack--my opinion. However, you were releasing at a faster pace, so the hours of time and energy it took them to give the best translation they could were wasted by you releasing before them. This is inherently discouraging because the stats show less views, less comments.

2) You say that you don't ask for permission because it gives people the chance to say no. That's fine, but it's a common courtesy to ask in the community. With you talking about people being rude, I would say that the least you could do is ask as well.

3) Dummy Translations dropped the novel because the author wanted them to stop after finishing the last free chapter. This is important because you can inference that the reason the author asked for them to stop was because they want to rightfully make money from their work, which usually is through the purchase of locked chapters (after Chapter 66). You then say that the author didn't ask you specifically to stop, so you won't. The problem: the author didn't ask DT specifically to stop translating because they didn't like the translation. It was because they don't want people to access their novel for free when others pay for it. DT dropped because they respect the author's request, and the right of the author to make money.

Quality is a very gray area because quality can be subjective--do you try to be as literal as possible or localize the syntax and word usage? I'm not sure but here's what I have to say:

I do not read your translations, but I've looked at Feng Mang from your Wattpad. Maybe your quality has improved since then, so this analysis might not be accurate, but it seems like the amount of time spent on mtling you do translates to quantity over quality. 3% similarity with MTL doesn't necessarily mean it's good, all that tells us is that it's different. I just personally think that there needs to be a degree of accuracy to the original text or it's rather disrespectful to the original work and author. Based on Feng Mang, there are many details that were missed/mistranslated which misconstrued or convoluted many scenes and overall decreased the level of enjoyment from the story. I think it is better for your more recent work now, so that's improvement. The issue is that when fast MTLers pick up works from translators translating by hand, the quality of translating usually decreases, and the motivation of the other translator also decreases as a result, preventing novels from getting picked up again, or the translator to pick up translating again.

Last thing: I am not against MTL! I will say that you are not even half as bad as NovelTom whose goal was to profit off of MTL. I know that there are more novels than will there ever be enough translators, so having MTL = more novels yay! But some really beautiful and complex novels can get utterly destroyed by Google Translate--and that's the stuff that pains me.

katiethairu33, Lineren and Dummy like this.
  17. GettingACold

GettingACold Member

Reading List:
    Link
    (BTW i only started this account after reading this thread, i admit this is an alt)
    I personally don't see why Nastriumden was dragged into this mess and receiving so much hate (outside of the fact of their replies towards particular posts), although he/she/they are pumping out 20+ chapters (i think alone), they aren't pure MTL. I was previously following NOZW so when I saw Dummytranslations (+the translator that merged with them) picking it up I was happy. I think the confusion between DT and Nastrium was that DT was hoping to translate to chapter 66 as per the author's request and that anything after that was fair game for anyone seeking to pick it up (so maybe, they were just asking for further tls to hold off until then). Now, I don't know about whatever threatening messages that were sent between the groups??? (or were they the readers?), but after finishing chapter 66 on DT, I jumped onto Nastrium for the rest.

At the beginning, yea, I instantly noticed a quality disparity, as a normal person growing up in a native english speaking country, it just made my brain hurt sometimes when I see grammar and pronouns not being used right, not to mention the differing sentence structure between chinese and english (although it may have been better for me because I actually speak chinese [due to my heritage] and therefore made slightly more sense to me)

SO, I decided to put NOZW on hold (hoping another tl would pick it up), before finally deciding to give Nastrium another try and I see that it had actually been thru an editor or looked over again (not perfect or anything close to DT quality but acceptable). So, Nastriumden is actually doing something, not like novelbear (which mind everyone, is the actual subject of this discussion).

Also, from what I'm getting from the latest posts, Vivi and DT have tried reaching out civilly? but Nastrium ignored them (unlike the other two translators: Flyinglines and THIS_BRO?), of which, one stopped and the other merged.

As a reader and translator, I think the main problem I have is the fact that there is a developing 'translation farming' culture (similar to what's happening on Youtube). I see the point regarding rudeness in picking up something that is already being translated. By having another group (especially a mass release straight MTL one or of worse quality) pulling readers away despite all the effort that goes into translating a 3000+ word chapter, is extremely discouraging. What I can say is for fellow translators to make sure something has actually been dropped before just up and poaching/adopting a novel (it might just be the tl having IRL problems or like Snowy Codex - not deleting the raws)

18. RoseColouredSin

Reading List:
    Link
    I totally agree with this ^^^

katiethairu33 and Fuyuneko like this.
  19. MimiShijie

MimiShijie Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm more an editor than a translator, since I have basically zero grasp of Chinese, so my main issue with MTLing is less the things that get lost in translation (since I wouldn't notice anyways), but the fact that English and Chinese are syntactically incompatible. It's something a machine can't really overcome. Things like Chinese not having much of a fixed tense, which translated to English means that the tense varies from sentence to sentence, or that Chinese can be very idiomatic, and idioms don't generally make sense out of their linguistic context. The sites that are posting 50 MTLed chapters a day don't take the time to fix these problems like a dedicated translation group that works by hand.

I've seen a lot of people who MTL into English claim that they don't really know English all that well either, and that's what confuses me. Why bother translating into a language you don't understand well enough to make clarifying changes to? MTL into a language you're more comfortable with. Especially if it's 'for your own personal enjoyment', as some have said before. I can't imagine it's terribly enjoyable to give yourself and others a headache struggling with confusing wording and poor grammar.

20. Fuyuneko

Fuyuneko winter cat

Reading List:
    Link
    I assume it's because nastrumdien is incentivise to churn out chapters to get more ad revenue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.