Started as a new translator.

Discussion in 'Novel Updates Site Discussion' started by masakibluei, Dec 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. masakibluei

masakibluei Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hi, I am new here.
    I would like to try to become a translator. I have several questions:
    1. How do you start as a translator?
    2. When you pick up a novel, did you ask for the author's consent? I'm talking about the free web novel online.
    Any advice will be welcome!

nyamachi, Havisu and TokioftheBel like this.
  2. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
  3. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Authors are trying to get published. You are basically asking them to forego Publishing their work if they agree to your request.
    It is simply cruel to ask if you are not going to pay a licensing fee.
    You don't need to ask permission.
    If you need help setting up a website with ads etc.
    I will help with that

4. Barnnn

Barnnn Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So you learn the language you want to translate and the language you want to translate it into.
    Then you read the novel and then, well, translate it. I recommend writing it on paper or typing it out with a word processor software.

5. Yandere Devil

Yandere Devil QUEEN OF YURI- Love GL

Reading List:
    Link
    No need to ask author consent if novels wasn’t from qidian.

If you look for novel to translate
    Trying this gl novels, it’s short story with only chapter 9-10
    https://forum.novelupdates.com/threads/shortest-yuri-novel-picked-up-request.96534/

6. Maid Chan

Maid Chan [Professional]

Reading List:
    Link
    Yandere Devil likes this.
  7. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What great advice.

But how will they know what to do when you just say “well, translate it”? Isn’t that what they’re asking for instructions on? You need to be more specific! Tell them how to actually go about reading something in one language and writing it down in another.

kenar likes this.
  8. masakibluei

Reading List:
    Link
    Is that so? I have no idea about that. I'm interested in JP web novel since I know Japanese.
    Thank you. Once my website is set up, I will ask for your help then :)

Qidian is Chinese novel site rights? I not well verse in Chinese. Sorry i forgot to explain that I'm interested in JP webnovels

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2019
  9. Barnnn

Barnnn Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm, fair enough.

Simply put, you look at the text you want to translate and read it. Most of the time, you won't need to know how to pronounce it, just understanding the meaning of symbols and/or strings of symbols is enough. The keyword here is meaning -- if you know what the text means, it's only a matter of writing the text that has the same meaning as it in the language you wish to translate it into.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
    Westeller likes this.
  10. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    pick a novel then translate from language a to b
    if it is free then it ethical problem see what you think fit on such situation

translating for yourself and for other is different problem
    way easier translating for yourself cuz when you do thing for other sometime critique fly over~ just be prepare for that~

ah put on mind be clear with reason why you want to be a translator cuz it will help ya to hmm make decision toward few thing or problem that may appear such as
    annoying cat, annoying commenter, thief, drama, motivation lost and so on
    sometime people demand more than they deserve or vice versa

11. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes Qidian is Chinese but Qidian is not the only Asian company to have an English branch translating their novels into English.
    Qidian has webnovel.com, other Chinese websites are Zongheng's Tapread.com
    Japanese have J-novel club, Yen press etc
    Here is the deal, translating web novels is like picking fruits in a field
    No one really bothers you about it, it is still stealing but no one cares
    but if you go tell the security guard that you are trespassing and stealing and ask for permission then
    you are just dumb
    [​IMG]

Face-con likes this.
  12. Milanin

Milanin [Reader] [???] [Freeloader]

Reading List:
    Link
    Disclaimer: The following might not be factually correct as it is a recollection of past events and their partial outcomes (especially point 2).

1. You take a text in one language and change the wordings and grammar and language into another.
    1.a Use a translation assisting tool (program) or translation dictionaries (ex. German English German or such)
    1.b Learn the language either through self-study or courses and translate directly while helping yourself with the things in point 1.a
    1.c Gather up some funds, pay professional certified translators to translate a text for you and learn from the example or put it up (mention it in that case as you could end up in a plagiarism debacle, might get a partial refund if people still find errors with the text)

2. Asking for consent in translations can as others stated cause trouble for the Author if it is done publicly when they are trying to get something out of it, but it is still better to at least send them a D.M. or such.
    2.a If you do not have the consent of the Authors when translating, any and all take down notices from publishers who want to secure it for themselves in advance can and probably will be enacted, however if the Author personally allows it, it would take a bit more than just people requesting it on their own behalf and require a notice from an agency covering said requests.
    2.b Translating on your own volition is always a thing.

13. Westeller

Reading List:
    Link
    So in all seriousness, asking an author’s permission is easy. Just ask them straight, through whatever social media platform they use, and prepare your heart for rejection.

Like @Wujigege so callously put it, an author would much rather have their work licensed than translated and distributed for free by a fan — though god knows the idea that an existing fan translation makes licensing less likely is a myth. Every popular fan translation ends up licensed, ffs. ... Anyway, if this was about CN or KR novels, I would recommend you just apply to join an existing group. Especially if you want to translate legitimately, with proper authorization. For JP, though, I’m not sure how you’d go about doing that. Maybe apply for a job at Yen Press or J-Novel? There aren’t a lot of options.

Honestly, I’d say screw it and translate what you want. The significant majority of fan translations are unlicensed and done without informing the author at all. If that sounds bad, well, it is. But that’s the origin and foundation of fan translation: fans translating to share works they love with people who may never see them otherwise.

nyamachi, Tofu Cat and Wujigege like this.
  14. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Wont someone tell @asriu that all his pics have been taken down?
    Your signature is no longer cool dude haha :blobjoy:
    @Westeller Funny story, I offered to translate novels for Qidian's webnovel.com for free and they refused.
    Anyone who thinks getting permission or licenses is a piece of cake is very naive.

Maybe we can start the fan translator guild that I failed to start before. If a consortium of 100 translators ask for permission or set up a Kickstarter. It is more likely to succeed.
    Cheers!

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
  15. Westeller

Reading List:
    Link
    :hmm:

Seems I’m not the only one browsing NUF on my phone.

Suton and Wujigege like this.
  16. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    hmm only one pic tho cuz linked to tiny will fix later when other cat wake up

Wujigege likes this.
  17. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Hahaha, it should be "succeed". I was not paying attention at all haha

18. masakibluei

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks. All of you give me pretty good advice. I think it helps me a little bit to see what I am getting into.

19. namigi

namigi New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sorry, but can I hijack this thread?

I've also just recently started translating a novel and already have a chapter out. However, the novel I'm translating currently doesn't have a page in novel updates. How would I be able to create that page, and how to link the chapters?

Thanks for your help! :)

20. Solus

Solus 自分のことお嫌いです

Reading List:
    Link
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.