Recommendations Rational Self-Aware MC with Common Sense

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by Cosmic_, Dec 8, 2019.

1. Cosmic_

Cosmic_ [Novel Addict] [Lazy Writer] [Meh Editor]

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm looking for any novel (including originals and fanfic) where the protagonist has critical thinking skills and view things realistically and intelligently.

For example, if they are summoned as a hero, he/she knows how to play along, accesses the political situation including if demons are actually bad or if they are just people, plans for escape, watches out for slave magic, can talk his/her way into getting resources, make alliances, etc.

If they are in a superhero world, they go the smart route of doing more/different things than just dressing in spandex and beating up thugs. Like start-up an organization, improve police resources, etc. Just maximizing their influence and the good they can as well as not taking the route that leads to death.

I especially want an MC who supports gender-equality and doesn't get swayed by any female. A protagonist who knows how to do think effectively and wisely. Not the rational, but doesn't understand human emotions type. I want them to have a maturity and wisdom for people.

I want the novel to not kid itself with reality. Let's say the MC rescues a kidnapped princess. The princess then tries to kiss him/sleep with him, etc. The MC declines and stops her and is able to maturely deal with the issue because he knows its likely that her emotions are due to him saving her, shock from her kidnapping, and the effects of hormones, etc. She's not in a good state of mind.

Second, is that the MC isn't the type to take advantage of someone or get into a relationship or fling just cause the other party offers. He might not like her in that way, doesn't see her as a possible partner due to something like age/status, not ready or looking for a relationship, or wants a relationship that grows and based on trust and getting to know the person, etc. He also understands that such a relationship would have a weak foundation or that the unequal dynamic would be bad or unhealthy. He might also see it as the girl finding someone to anchor herself to and to provide for her. Etc.

2. vannn

vannn Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I would recommend Okami Wa Nemuranai , Dungeon Defense as well. You might like The Death Mage too if you're alright with RPG elements.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
    Cosmic_ likes this.
  3. perspherspley

perspherspley IZ*ONE

Reading List:
    Link
    As far as I know the MCs from these novels have common sense and know the basic concept of thinking for themselves.
    Lord of the Mysteries
    Mother of Learning
    My House of Horrors
    The Zombie Knight Saga

Cosmic_ likes this.
  4. Invisalats

Invisalats The Bearded One

Reading List:
    Link
    You ask for a lot...too much really but as someone has already recommended Lord of Mysteries or what ever is as close as I can find...

Kansuou likes this.
  5. Kansuou

Kansuou Song of Lone Indifference.

Reading List:
    Link
  6. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe try He Who Fights With Monsters over on Scribble Hub. The MC has a habit of saying.. too much. He has a lot of very modern opinions that don't mesh with the more feudal society he finds himself in, and he has absolutely no problem saying that to people in power, among a whole lot of other things that surprisingly don't get him killed. This seems like the opposite of common sense, but as the story goes it's showed that he is in full control of himself and well aware of how various people will react to the things he says, and that he says them with intentions. It's quite interesting.

Otherwise, lessee....

There's a lot of critical, philosophical and downright paranoid thinking going on in Worth the Candle. It's also hosted on Royal Road if you don't like AO3 for some reason. ... Worth the Candle is billed as rational fiction, meaning the story is supposed to, above all else, make sense. That means the plot, character actions and interactions, everything. It's not supposed to be dumb. I think it largely succeeds in that, with some extremely complex characters.

You may enjoy other rational fiction, come to think of it.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/rational/wiki/index
    Scroll down to 'defining works', or don't scroll down and read what rational fiction is supposed to be, first.

7. Raneday

Raneday Not Rane

Reading List:
    Link
  8. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Youkoso Jitsuryoku Shijou Shugi no Kyoushitsu e

9. Robbini

Robbini Logical? Illogical? Random? Or Just Unique?

Reading List:
    Link
    First reaction upon reading all those necessary traits to have 'Who the hell is this superhuman ? They seem more like someone who has a walkthrough of the future rather than someone who actually lives a life and makes decisions as they come along, he must also be in his dream relationship already, or be a monk until he finds it'

I mean, rational & common sense in all respect, but how many people in this world do you think would actually do everything you just asked for ? More would realize afterwards and probably try to adjust according to this, but do everything like that at first opportunity?

It's less of rationality & common sense, but extreme rationality preceding everything else. Rationality & common sense aren't necessarily the same thing after all.

But let's see...
    World of Cultivation was mentioned
    That one where the MC is summoned as a hero and is made the king pretty quickly, what's the name...
    Death Mage was mentioned

10. AcasualPawn__

AcasualPawn__ Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
  11. PercherTM

PercherTM Go go power ranger!

Reading List:
    Link
    I forgot most of the novelupdates once since its been ages but here
    the current one i read
    Soul mage in the apocalypse - not the best english but. its still wayyy better than a lot of the translations and originals you probably have no problem reading
    The Dao of magic
    and let me insert my own original since it does have a rational mc, albeit he does messes up like once but hey teenagers learn right?
    Immortal Apocalypse Marketplace

12. S4TY4

S4TY4 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  13. jacobpaige

jacobpaige Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Farming for Gold on royalroad. Its basically exactly what you're asking for. It's slice of life with occasional action though.

Cultivation Chat Group +1

King's Avatar. Rational, mature MC, but quite OP. Not sure if that would be a problem.

Top Management. I think. I'm way behind on this one, but from what I can remember, he fits the bill.

Coder Lee Yongho. Also been a while since I read this one, but pretty sure it matches.

Data Dragon Danika on royalroad. The MC is female and the series is a character driven slice of life with romance and some action elements, but otherwise, its exactly what you're asking for.

He Who Fights with Monsters on royalroad +1

Mother of Learning on royalroad +1

The Mech Touch, maybe. Its on webnovel, so I dropped it a while back, but from what I recall, it matches what you want.

Bright_Lucky_Star likes this.
  14. Silverasterisk

Silverasterisk [Wallflower] [Drive by poster]

Reading List:
    Link
    Realist hero but you've probably already read it.

15. Damsell in Distress

Damsell in Distress Waiting for dashing MC to save me from myself

Reading List:
    Link
    Tsuki ga Michibiku Isekai Douchuu
    The mc can be called half rational and half typical beta jp mc, but he got slave ehem, I mean subordinate that can advice and look out for him, like asses the hero and demon king, whether they are "evil" or nah, who to support and if he can help them achieve peace while developing his bussiness and fend off the "bug"

16. Darius Drake

Darius Drake A poster of verbose posts

Reading List:
    Link
    I can only add one, and it's a published in English Novel, so you'll have to accept that. The Arcane Ascension Series by Andrew Rowe, link is to the first book. MC lives in a Mystical World where people have to undergo a trial to get special marks that allow them to utilize magical powers. The first book starts just before the MC starts his, and you can try the free sample to check if the MC fulfills your "logical acts" criteria (I'm fairly certain that he would). The MC is also socially awkward in numerous ways, so I do feel this series will fulfill every part of your request.

Bright_Lucky_Star likes this.
  17. SlimIcee

SlimIcee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    After reading your requirements, I think that Re: Survival basically hits everything you wanted in a novel. The MC thinks about everything in a critical fashion and makes sure to do whatever he has to so that he can survive. He isn't some blockhead who has no empathy and who doesn't understand basic emotions, but he simply doesn't care about what other people want when he knows it can lead to dangerous situations for both him and those he's trying to help/protect. He also fits the bill when it comes to your whole gender equality point. He isn't randomly swayed by the opposite gender and treats everyone equally based on how useful they are.

MissZer0q likes this.
  18. kuroba

kuroba Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Isekai mahou wa okureteru?

19. sungjinwoo

sungjinwoo Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    are you looking for romance and drama tags?.......lol

20. mushy