Discussion The time travel questions we shoud be asking.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by sal880612m, Dec 9, 2019.

1. sal880612m

sal880612m As I thought, love was a status effect! ~ICDS

Reading List:
    Link
    So I imagine most of us have heard the mains ones
    Would you go back and kill hitler?
    What would happen if you killed your grandfather before your father was conceived?
    That sort of thing.

but I was reading something today and all of a sudden I started thinking something a little different.

Abraham Lincoln
    Martin Luther King
    JFK

There are more I'm sure but there is basically this long list of inspirational figures advocating peace or equality that have been unceremoniously executed throughout history. So what if the time travel question we should be asking isn't Would you kill Hitler? but Why would you kill Abraham Lincoln?

2. Diametric

Diametric Waifu Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    I already did. You should be thankful, too, they did some pretty heinous shit before I went back and stopped them.

3. Katsurandom

Katsurandom [The One That Does Nothing][Villager C]

Reading List:
    Link
    Depending on wich side of the internet you visit, you will find that (At Least theories) Most USA Presidents had dealings with some cults or "Illuminaty" kind of stuff, like the theory that Abraham Lincon wanted to sell slaves or something...

I can see how not killing Martin Luther King could lead to some uprsing and a new civil war too (Not because he wanted to do it, but because like with the feminist that evolved into femi nazzi, his "Ideal" went out of control)

PaladinWolf and Gin_Hindew like this.
  4. Miserys_End

Miserys_End 「Lv1 Pretend Person」I'm the preson i pretend to be

Reading List:
    Link
    LoL, reminds me of this meme...
    h4rntqluid911.jpg

5. tak

tak ignorant but well-meant

Reading List:
    Link
    Edit: fudjfkgkg does this count as hijacking post?
    I'm more interested in "would you die" rather than "would you kill"
    You know, those people who are too advanced for their time and got persecuted for it. Would you risk your life to help those people? Are those people time travellers?
    Me? I'd die without modern medicine, so..

Lurking likes this.
  6. Underload

Underload <I need someone to scratch my back!>

Reading List:
    Link
    Why not become the uininventor and 'uninvent' smartphones? That will have a greater impact on humankind than anything else.

StuffedDuck and VBS like this.
  7. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Because when your ideals are a threat to someone in power's plans then you got to be eliminated (there is no OP MC with plot armor IRL), did you learn nothing from novels ? :blobunsure:

tsubaki7569 likes this.
  8. Mino Micha

Mino Micha Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I wouldn't, too dangerous, too unpredictable.
    My family also sorta met by surrounding conflicts so if any of you killed Hitler or some other figure that impacts history, the fragile balance my family is on will crumble and probably even my grandparents wouldn't be born.
    Also by killing those people won't guarantee a better future, we can prevent one guy we know, but what about after that?

Capsize and novaes like this.
  9. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Add Fred Hampton to your list, I guess, since everyone has been going on about him or something, lately.

Though I gotta say it's pretty cool to hear the FBI actually assassinated someone, and got caught.

Anyway, maybe they were killed to make them martyrs. For the Greater Good.™

10. kenar

kenar ヽ(`・ω・´)ゝ

Reading List:
    Link
    what if the world you visits to is another parallel world? No matter how hard you change the history, you can't undo the one that have happened in your original timeline.

11. Gin_Hindew

Gin_Hindew Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Killing hitler is impossible, the dude has developed ample experience killing time travelers, and if you kill your own grandfather you just have to fuck your grandmother, thats common sense

[​IMG]

12. BigBadBoi

BigBadBoi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    But what if I kill Jesus before he gets nailed on a cross. That is the true question that people must answer

13. novaes

novaes Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    As much as I'd perhaps like to see past-shenanigans happen, I'd never willingly bear the cost of all my friends and family's lives since a single breathe may likely ensure none of them exist in the future. Unless you go by the whole alternate reality multiverse thing, but even then...

Then you have the old moral problem. Would you kill thousands to save millions? I wouldn't, especially not people I know. You'd have the lay the burden for all those deaths on whoever actually did it.

14. Cutter Masterson

Cutter Masterson Well-Known Super-Soldier

Reading List:
    Link
    I can think back to several shows, movies and novels. That pose those questions. The reason most given is because war was needed for one reason or another. Aliens needed us better at war. A plague will happen if technology doesn’t continue to progress. Peace will increase birth rates. Or the opposite and the drive to reproduce will fall.
    Peace is a great thing over all. So wouldn’t you want to have it. Prophesy don’t make sense until after it happens. Just like Hitler. Kill one person. To save thousands, millions or billions. Maybe even the entire human race. If only we knew what would happen.

kenar likes this.
  15. ru5ty

ru5ty Citizen of MILF Kingdom

Reading List:
    Link
    what if Jesus is a time traveller???

16. Capsize

Capsize Would you like to be isekai’d? ψ(`∇´)ψ

Reading List:
    Link
    Undoing events to save one life? At the cost of what could possibly be the generations of descendants choosing different spouses, at the cost of your life, family, relatives, friends and everything you held dear? No thanks.
    Let sleeping dogs lie.

17. BigBadBoi

BigBadBoi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That explains his resurrection. He just trolled dumb peasants with advanced tech. Ancient Aliens was not lying to us

ru5ty likes this.
  18. djsosonut

djsosonut Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You don't have to kill them. They were already killed by their historic assassins. A better question would be if you could time travel why would you protect their assassins until they kill their victims? Best answer to that, for me at least, is that I came from a timeline where they successfully killed their targets. My timeline is built on those historic events. Unraveling that could risk everything I love, like and hate.

19. LNreader

LNreader Courting Death

Reading List:
    Link
    What if i go back in time and punch you in the face and say "I'm from the future, you'll post about it in a forum someday"

Cutter Masterson likes this.
  20. Alvastar

Alvastar Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Honestly, quite a number of people are pivots in the world. Certain people tend to intersect with others in obvious and not so obvious ways that them being there or not, doing an action or not, can skew the web of probabilities in noticible directions. There are fields in mathematics that tap into this. Actuaries are a common example.

The real question is given the internet and government databases, just what data to find intersections and trends are being found and people removed that we aren't paying attention to...

That was my first thought when I noticed him listing those deaths, lol.

AMissingLinguist likes this.