Recommendations Necromancers Aren't Evil Novels - read request details

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by Darius Drake, Dec 9, 2019.

1. Darius Drake

Darius Drake A poster of verbose posts

Reading List:
    Link
    This is another of my "Does This Exist" Threads, so you will have to actually read the clarifications here.

I am looking for stories where Necromancers, and the arts of Necromancy, is not seen as inherently "evil" or possibly even "wrong" by the world. The easiest explanation would be inefficiency, aka, "Necromancy's kinda weak for the amount of effort you need to go through for", resulting in nobody taking up the art for combat purposes, unlike most magical disciplines (for example, for less magical power and effort than raising a single Zombie, someone could make a comparably more powerful and just as easy to control Golem). This simple explanation, in turn, could produce a world where Necromancers take up the job to ease the passing of a loved one, or to check a recently deceased's desired distribution of assets by summoning their spirit.

Basically, I'm looking for a world where those who take up Necromancy isn't some taboo or social stigma, but just something everyone able to use magic can learn, but few choose to.

Deleted member 125960 likes this.
  2. An Anime Addict

An Anime Addict (≧▽≦)/̵͇/'̿'̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ (▀̿̿Ĺ̯̿▀̿ ̿)

Reading List:
    Link
    Now i am definitely interested as well

3. kenar

kenar ヽ(`・ω・´)ゝ

Reading List:
    Link
    Feels like a deja vu. I've a thread about this but i don't exactly remember the title.

Deleted member 125960 likes this.
  4. morli

morli Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Try Experimental Log of Crazy Lich. It's not exactly the story you want, but the amazing thing is the protagonist popularize the art of necromancy to not be seen as taboo by the world. (Well the protagonist is lich so he need to make undead not seen as threat if he want to live openly lol)

5. DocB

DocB "I see you, little mouse! Run along"

Reading List:
    Link
    Great Demon King- necromacy is no taboo as it is more like summon undead from undead plane than recycle dead bodies

6. Robbini

Robbini Logical? Illogical? Random? Or Just Unique?

Reading List:
    Link
    3 things are commonly believed about necromancy

1 : It's immoral/ unwelcome / evil to do it to corpses whose beloveds now see their relatives being used for nefarious means / are even killed to be used
    2 : Most undead can only be used for combat or physical labour (if they're that intelligent, which is somewhat rare) . Thus, not as many 'positive viewpoints' of necromancy in general
    3 : There are generally two ways to actually get undead summons/minions 1) Summonings, they come from other realms, no real problems 2) Either finding corpses or killing beings to attain corpses to use, which means that you annoy most churches that believe in the afterlife, anyone who had family or friends who were in the areas you passed through while collecting minions and anyone who feels threatened by the horde of undead, as there usually isn't any space storage used for undead created this way, meaning they're effectively always out in plain sight

So... VR , MMO or other game novels that have the MC using necromancy, no real problem there in most cases, other than the MC using a different kind of necromancer than most people do.
    JP novels mostly don't really approve of it, unless said MCs have been mistreated due to it and then use it to achieve revenge
    CN novels are a bit more split on it, some having the light vs dark divisions with necromancy in the dark side, others have it as a socially acceptable magic, others have it as a totally abhorred magic etc.
    KR novels mostly about necromancy ingame or in situations where noone's powerful enough to interfere with the MC's necromancy

7. Darius Drake

Darius Drake A poster of verbose posts

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, while making this thread, I did remember that Supreme Magus fits this request, since only the "creating life from corpses" is considered illegal and immoral. The only social stigma about it is that it's disgusting and you need the corpses (which might be disrespectful to the dead).

Really? Bugger.

So part of the story is about the MC making the world I want to find. Interesting.

Reading the description makes me suspect that few things are taboo in that story, and you just need to have some power to enforce your will if you want to break those taboo's.

I'm looking for stories where your 1 isn't seen as an issue, where your 2 might be inferior to alternatives, and preferably, where necromancers work alongside if not inside the churches of your 3, meaning that it isn't an issue, either.

8. An Anime Addict

An Anime Addict (≧▽≦)/̵͇/'̿'̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ (▀̿̿Ĺ̯̿▀̿ ̿)

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah i already have seen supreme magus on webnovel and its already in my library but i would read it later.