Do you know some Japanese?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by UnGrave, Dec 10, 2019.

?

How much do you know

1. No japanese

4 vote(s)
    6.8%
  2. Just some phrases from memes and stuff

26 vote(s)
    44.1%
  3. ひらがな

24 vote(s)
    40.7%
  4. カタカナ

20 vote(s)
    33.9%
  5. 漢字

7 vote(s)
    11.9%
  6. Fluent

2 vote(s)
    3.4%
  7. More than you

1 vote(s)
    1.7%
  8. a decent amount of vocab

15 vote(s)
    25.4%
  9. OMAE WA MOU SHINDEIRU

22 vote(s)
    37.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    :blobsmilehappy: I always smile that they use polite form for most of the Japanese words they put in that.

Little Potato likes this.
  2. ludagad

ludagad Addicted to escapist novels

Reading List:
    Link
    Recognize some kanji and fluently read furigana lol. Taught myself hiragana and katakana by reading a Japanese children's book with very few kanji that had furigana next to them. Book on one side, kana tables on the other side and it was slow at the beginning, but the brain is a genius at pattern recognition. I've kinda given up on Japanese tho. The grammar is too difficult and my enthusiasm has disappeared over the years. Now I prefer learning Chinese.

ToastedRossi likes this.
  3. LK

LK Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I can recognize some/most hiragana but I don't know what most of it means when together (yay duolingo!)

UnGrave likes this.
  4. An Anime Addict

An Anime Addict (≧▽≦)/̵͇/'̿'̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ (▀̿̿Ĺ̯̿▀̿ ̿)

Reading List:
    Link
    I can form some simple sentences and speaking is not that big of a problem. I can recognize some kanji but definitely can't read them. After all, all the things i know about Japanese comes from anime, manga and novels so yeah:blobpeek:

UnGrave likes this.
  5. Ratatoskr

Ratatoskr [Aruruu's proud dad] [The False Gentleman]

Reading List:
    Link
    Nada. Nothing. Can't watch anime, hentai, JAV if there aren't any sub.

6. Lazriser

Lazriser Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The only reasons I don't seriously learn Japanese is that I'm an efficient workplace of idleness. I can't purchase JP light novels, and I can't hope to master the language in it's advanced levels to play Kajiri Kamui Kagura.

UnGrave likes this.
  7. wantek

wantek Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    how fluent are you in japanese if you know these 3 words^^ :
    ~motto...motto....
    ~ah...kimochii...
    ~ooki ...~ ♡

UnGrave likes this.
  8. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    ... Do the translators for ero content just like, not translate anything? Somehow it seems like all the ero readers naturally seem to know some Japanese :blobhyperthink:

9. Chrono Vlad

Chrono Vlad 『Banned From Drinking』

Reading List:
    Link
  10. felidormit

felidormit probably asleep.

Reading List:
    Link
    usually i can read hiragana and katakana—or spell the letters to make a word out of it to be exact. but i'll forget most of the letters if i try to write them.
    i can recognize a wee bit of kanji. seldom know how to pronounce; oftentimes (i think) i know the translation.
    but then again, vocabs are still tiny~

11. ongoingwhy

ongoingwhy Meat Pie Lover

Reading List:
    Link
    I am memorizing N4 grammar but I haven't taken any classes or the JLPT test. :blobpeek: I don't feel like spending money since it's just a hobby for me. :blobwoah: Then again, I am subscribed to Bunpro, so I'm technically spending money. :hmm:

12. Little Potato

Little Potato Sexiest Potato Alive [SpaceBar's Master]

Reading List:
    Link
    I've actually just downloaded bunpro the other day and i found the content to be quite comprehensive compared to other learning apps. At least, in terms of grammar, it's more or less similar to what i've learnt from Japanese classes and minna no nihongo textbook.

Which plan are you subscribed to and do you think it's worth the money? I'm interested in continuing self-studies and wouldn't mind investing a bit..

ongoingwhy likes this.
  13. ongoingwhy

ongoingwhy Meat Pie Lover

Reading List:
    Link
    Actually, if you're dedicated to learning, you should probably use other study materials along with Bunpro. I suggest that you continue to study your minna no nihongo textbook while using Bunpro to reinforce your memory.

I don't think Bunpro has different plans. You can only choose whether you would like to pay on a monthly or annually basis. There's also a lump sum payment for a lifetime subscription. I am currently paying for Bunpro on a yearly subscription. (There's a discount going on right now, so it's $30 per year.)

Little Potato likes this.
  14. Little Potato

Little Potato Sexiest Potato Alive [SpaceBar's Master]

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks for the tip as well as the heads up! My motivation's been stagnating so discovering this app kinda ignited a little fire again. The $30 year fee sounds like a steal blobmelt_thumbs

15. Donutmindme

Donutmindme [dounut][Zodiac:Golden snake][PROcrastinator]

Reading List:
    Link
    I was planning on taking on the second semester but then I realized I should have taken it during this semester..I know katakana, hiragana, some basic kanji’s. I know how read numbers~ I know my verb conjugations, and other grammar stuff. I can speak pretty decently too. I can introduce myself, ask basic questions to get around. But basically where I’m at is that I need to need memorize kanji. Then the rest would be smooth sailing from there.

I still remember a lot of what I’ve learned from high school. I went to J3 in HS. In order to not forget Japanese I’ve been translating different songs and what not. I’ve definitely been having fun translating different doujinshi titles as well as some Japanese Isekai titles.

I jus’ wish I have taken Japanese this semester instead of math...

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
  16. Diametric

Diametric Waifu Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    Somewhere between "just some phrases from memes and stuff" and "a decent amount of vocab".

I have no clue how to read anything, but I've just picked up general phrases, vocab, and grammar from watching anime. If someone was talking to me in Japanese I might have some semblance of what they're talking about, and I could probably get across some basic ideas across to a Japanese person with a lot of butchered grammar and hand gestures.

UnGrave likes this.
  17. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I know enough Japanese that I can get the gist out of dialogue and some narrative prose. It's not anywhere good enough to read books so I don't bother with it for those purposes.

Same here. I've found that learning more Japanese isn't all that rewarding - anything that's particularly good that I'd want to read is probably translated and the kind of stuff I want to read is pretty junk anyways. It's easier to just wait for translators to tackle what I want, and if they don't it's not a big loss. On the other hand, getting better at Chinese means that I get access to all sorts of material that I like and that might never get translated. It's even easier to do, and much of my learning is just reading more of the books I want to anyways! The difference in effort vs. reward is massive so I've pretty much given up on Japanese.

18. Fluffums

Fluffums 【R-18 Researcher】【Seeker of Moe】

Reading List:
    Link
    We just hear the same phrases a lot from VNs and videos, that's all. Plus, not all that many VNs and ero novels get translated, but they tend to have simpler language. So not only do we have more reason to pick up the language, but the bar for what we need to learn is lower.

19. OverlordPotato

OverlordPotato Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ikr! that's why I kept it as recognize/read. The whole word can change into a different word and/or pronunciation by adding/subtracting just a kanji. :notlikeblob:

20. mangoberry

mangoberry beatsaber is too addictive...

Reading List:
    Link
    i can catch a couple words in vocaloid music videos i listen to. i can catch a couple more if i watch the japanese subtitles. ngl i learned a couple words by staring down the japanese subtitles.

UnGrave likes this.