How long? Until when?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Gadget, Aug 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LordCorwin

LordCorwin Supreme Book Lord; Leader of the Fiction Faction

Reading List:
    Link
    Seriously, I'm in my mid-30's. I still game, multiple MMOs as well as regular console and pc RPGs. I will admit I did pretty much stop watching anime, but that had nothing to do with my age and more with finding WN/LNs to read. And the day I stop reading is the day you pry a new release from my cold dead hands. At which point I will rise from the grave, beat you to death with my dismembered arm, and then go back to reading the book you just stole.

2. admira

admira Dino Pirate

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm in my twenties. I thought that I'd be part of this forever, but my tastes have changed drastically over my manga & LN/WN reading years.

I read manga from when I was in my tweens up until about two years ago (strangely, I stopped shortly before moving to Japan). That was mostly manga being replaced by light novel/web novels, though. Part of it was to practice my Japanese, part of it was because I felt they had more depth.

As for LNs/WNs, I expect that I'll continue reading them until my thirties or even longer. But I've found that I've gotten a lot pickier about them this past year, so my volume has gone down a lot. I've even started transitioning back to western novels recently (hooray for Horatio Hornblower!) since I get so sick of the fanservice. And the harems.

Female characters can suck really badly in western novels as well (case in point: The Wheel of Time) but a lot of asian LNs/WNs are incredibly insulting about it. I'll end there, before I start to rant :p

EDIT: Anime was never huge for me. And games...I'll play them until the end of time. Just not during the week, I have enough eye strain from staring at a screen 8 hours a day.

kainee likes this.
  3. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Mindless zombie? The TV? LOL

Maybe we're all mindless zombies, in that case, but I'm telling it as it is. You're always going to watch tv.

As much when you're 30 as you do when you're 20, as much when you're 40 as you do when you're 30. And so on.

This isn't my opinion. It's fact. It's history. It's what I see every day of my life.

4. polokoi

polokoi TVPropaganda

Reading List:
    Link
    As long as I want

5. Scarecrow

Scarecrow > dev/null

Reading List:
    Link
    Eh.. I already pretty much stopped playing games or watching anime. Still watch anime and movies once in a while. As for stop reading? Not in this life time.

6. sinyueliang

sinyueliang 『World Traveller』『Demon Slayer』『Hinokami』

Reading List:
    Link
    I'll probably not read/watch/whatever as much cuz I'll probably have a job and life and shit to deal with, but I don't think I'll ever stop. Maybe I'll only visit NUF once in a blue moon... but yeah, I'll be an otaku until death!

7. LateNightShit

LateNightShit Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Anime and tv aren't comparable, anime is basically equivalent to cartoons. In a few years I feel that some people will stop following anime, manga, and novels. It really depends on how you feel about them and what you want to do in life, not to say they are negative but they can be big distractions at times.

admira likes this.
  8. LivingCorpse

LivingCorpse Half-dead Neighborhood's Undead

Reading List:
    Link
    Umm... I guess until WW3 broke out and the world has turned into Nuclear Wasteland...

9. onehitnokill

onehitnokill [Greater Derp Assasin] [-1000 Kills]

Reading List:
    Link
    i mean there are sites like roysl road and fiction press

10. Kaizoku_kc

Kaizoku_kc Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    would u believe me if i said its been more than 5 years since i had a remote controller for a tv and as for movie the last one i watched was star war: force awakens and the one before that was third movie of hobbit

11. Sordahon

Sordahon 『One Person Virtue Is Another One Sin』

Reading List:
    Link
    Anime is mostly shit, aside from Itazura na Kiss and Code Geass, manga is mostly shit as well, I read two or three regularly only, novels are ... what a surprise! they are mostly shit harem or genocide, in between we find hope that guides us trough the eternity, aside from me, I'm dead.

12. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep The laziest and the King of Procrastination

Reading List:
    Link
    Beyond?

kainee likes this.
  13. monstermaaaaan

monstermaaaaan title tile

Reading List:
    Link
    until my novels end and i dont find anything on this site or it's successors

14. Westeller

Reading List:
    Link
    The problem with saying something like this is that you're inevitably comparing anime to western cartoons, when one is acceptable at all ages and the other is aimed at brats. So... I disagree?

It isn't true for anime aimed at younger audiences, but anime aimed at young adults and older - yes, older - is fully comparable to western tv. Superior to western tv shows sometimes. You gotta admit - a lot on tv just seems like crap.

Risus likes this.
  15. Kaizoku_kc

Reading List:
    Link
    if there is...

16. Westeller

Reading List:
    Link
    I'd believe you, completely. My faith in you doesn't change the fact that you're unusual, though.

The average U.S. citizen supposedly watches about 5 hours of tv per day.

That's not "some" people. That's essentially "everyone."

17. onehitnokill

onehitnokill [Greater Derp Assasin] [-1000 Kills]

Reading List:
    Link
    I dont see myself ever leaving the life, but I do see my taste changing and the anime our medium becomes mainstream

18. LateNightShit

LateNightShit Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This whole anime discussion about whether it's similar to cartoons and etc. isn't something that I feel like arguing, many people have already discussed it and I don't want to rampage over this thread. My main point is that anime and tv aren't comparable which could also cause more arguments but w/e.

19. Kaizoku_kc

Reading List:
    Link
    though i doze around a lot but hey thats a lot of wasted time. wow dont they have anything to do

20. Westeller

Reading List:
    Link
    They probably have lots to do. But why do today what you can put off for tomorrow, right?~

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.