every isekai novel summary ever

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Sager, Dec 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sager

Sager Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I just wanted to share this with you all.
    https://www.novelupdates.com/series/can-i-become-an-adventurer-without-gift/

"While most of this world has a special power called gift (talent), Hal was not given a gift. Hal had a dream to become an adventurer, because he was saved by one when he was little. But because of that everyone laughed at him. Even so, Hal continued to hold his strong feelings without giving up, and participated in various parties as a Porter. But one day, he was betrayed by his party member and left in predicament. However, Hal’s situation changed drastically after that. Along with the gift “growth” he awakened."

1- character doesn't have the thing everyone else has.
    2- character is thought to be weak and betrayed because he doesn't have the thing.
    3- ooops!! turns out he has the best thing!!

I never read this novel, it might actually be good, but that summary man it's just too good.

2. Sager

Sager Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Post any other summary that just shows every cliche in the genre imaginable

3. jinxs2011

jinxs2011 [Rebel Against Normality][Writer of the Unusual]

Reading List:
    Link
    I think i’ve read another novel that could be described literally the exact same with different names.

4. Asf

Asf 《《The aria of souls》》

Reading List:
    Link
    Isnt that every xianxia ever too?

5. Sager

Sager Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    oh my god you're right!

6. frozenlimabeans

frozenlimabeans Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I literally both hate and love the cliche, but it entirely depends on how well written it is to be honest

7. Sager

Sager Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree, but it's just so funny to see the same summary written over and over again until it's done to it's bare bones.
    This light novel could be the greatest thing ever and I would never know

8. frozenlimabeans

frozenlimabeans Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That so true

9. sjmcc13

sjmcc13 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    How is that an isekai, it is missing EVERY CORE ASPECT of the Isekai genre. It is closer to a generic shounen adventure fantasy.

But to put is bluntly, isekai as a genre is only when the character(s) through some mechanism like hero summoning, reincarnation, wormhole, etc travel from world to another, so you have a MC from world X (usually modern(ish) earth) as the protagonist of a story in world Y. part of why it grew in use is because it massively simplifies several of the problems with fantasy worlds, the 2 major ones being making the MC more relatable immediately (it is almost always someone representative of the target audience in some way) and making explaining and growing the world easier as the MC is exploring the world and leaning about it with the audience. It even offers an out to some plot holes, with some things being explainable to the MC not having found out yet, or even being mislead.

Also, in Iekai the MC usually has some form of advantage or cheat from the start, varying from some area of modern knowledge to a special power, that enable them to live and even thrive in that world. being missing what others have is rare (there are some, like this one being translated by the same group but they are rare.in isekai since in most worlds a cheat or some other bonus would be needed to not die or be enslaved)

10. Sager

Sager Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    that's fair, I admit the title is a little click bitey, I probably should have called it "every fantasy light novel summary ever)
    but that's not my point, this storyline happens in isekai I'm just using this one as an example.
    I was talking about was this summary and how there's like 20 novels with almost the exact same summary, and how's it's so played out at this point that doesn't even give me any interest in this novel, I might really like it but I'll never know because the summary makes it seem like there's nothing new.

11. Kadmos1

Kadmos1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That is pretty much impossible seeing as how there a lot of clichés.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.