Is it sexist? My story

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Lucresia, Dec 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    Where did I lie? Show me where I lied. Please show me where I lied. This is very easy. You just need to show me where I lied. Unless you can't even do that?

AMissingLinguist likes this.
  2. Kutaifa

Kutaifa Pokémon trainer

Reading List:
    Link
    The books themselves are physical proofs of your lies. How do you prove a fact, that is obvious to anyone that has read lotr. You do that by telling them to read the books.

3. Ai chan

Reading List:
    Link
    I've already given YOU why I think there are racism in LotR. All you had to do was dispute it. You can't even do that, huh. Instead, you resort to direct attack by calling me a liar, when you have no evidence at all? How lazy can you be, man?

4. Kutaifa

Kutaifa Pokémon trainer

Reading List:
    Link
    You started by proclaiming that Tolkien used racial slurs in his works, without providing necessary proof. I refuted that, because I HAVE READ THEM. I asked for proof of that which you are so adamant exists. But instead, you are are telling me to find it?
    Wow, you must be a genius

5. Ai chan

Reading List:
    Link
    I already GAVE you the proof! Do you have selective memory? Go back to the previous page, read that and come back to discuss like a civilized man.

What defines a slur?
    A pejorative (also called a derogatory term, a slur, a term of disparagement) is a word or grammatical form expressing a negative connotation or a low opinion of someone or something, showing a lack of respect for someone or something. It is also used to express criticism, hostility, or disregard.
    Pejorative - Wikipedia

You refuted it by saying, "You're wrong". Where is your evidence?

6. Kutaifa

Kutaifa Pokémon trainer

Reading List:
    Link
    Lol "Proof"? Where?
    You just said "I've already given YOU why I think there are racism". I THINK theres racial slurs duh huh, theres my proof. Thats you

I'm not gonne engage with a liar anymore, see ya.

7. Ai chan

Reading List:
    Link
    Can't even do that, huh? Can't be bothered to get out of your ass and work for once? Yet you feel like you are justified in attacking someone else for their opinion?

In my country, we call people like you 'breastfeeders' because you don't want to eat by yourself, but you want someone else to feed you. And when you're not breastfed, you go out of your way to make noise. But you yourself do not bother to look for a solution.

I've said my piece and I'm done. No matter what I say, you will always say I'm wrong, without giving evidence of why I'm wrong. If you want to be part of the discussion, then be a part of the discussion instead of being the attacker.

'Slant-eyed monsters' ring any bell? Of course not, you didn't read it.

8. Kutaifa

Kutaifa Pokémon trainer

Reading List:
    Link
    Being part of the discussion? I was pointing out how everyone is overreacting, i guess that's what we as constitutes personal attacks now.

9. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    Not really interested in adding to the discussion of racism here, but as far as I remember the elves are portrayed more often as antagonists than the dwarves, and even the "white humans" isn't always portrayed as good in his stories.

10. BoredNovelFinder

BoredNovelFinder Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Just wanted to pop-in and just say...the OP clearly asked

Is it sexist? My story

Would be great not to be derailed from the subject matter.

11. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    You and your teacher, both need to read more CN novels and KR romance novels too:blobamused:

12. Bloodysin28

Bloodysin28 The victim of true evil that is reality

Reading List:
    Link
    Someone lock the thread get got a triggered snowflake over here

13. Mahiro9

Mahiro9 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Most probably the generation gap. I don't know how old your instructor is, but the seme-uke thing in the conversations might be interpreted differently by some people.

In her eyes, those two guys doing that, while others converse in the background, and the way how the conversation comes out like they're joking around, might be interpreted as "sexist" or "disrespectful", more so for those people who don't normally see (or read) those kinds of conversations around often, cause you know, you wouldn't normally joke around and talk about that stuff like that in reality.

asriu and Chrono Vlad like this.
  14. lychee

lychee [- slightly morbid fruit -] ❀[ 恋爱? ]❀

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh, one additional comment I want to make is that it's really hard for me to get a sense of whether a story is "sexist" (never mind the hypercharged word :blob_coughblood: -- I mean it in a purely intellectual sense) based on a short excerpt or even a single line.

IMO, a single line is almost never the factor that makes a story "sexist".

Rather, there are larger thematic and bigger things at work that subtly push a negative narrative about women. It's not always easy to pinpoint a single "line" that makes something seem or appear a certain way.

I would recommend you to try to find a couple trusted female friends or individuals from a different background from yourself ("diversity" lol) to read your entire story and get what they think. Listen to the feedback from people that you trust.

I think many of the "racist" and "sexist" (I hate these trigger words! They always cause people to get heated! :blobtriumph: But I don't mean them in a derogatory fashion) things I see/read come from authors who have poor understanding of the opposite gender or another ethnicity.

They write something they think is true (based on their imagination), but it missed mark very badly...

To give an example, I think Sword Art Online is a pretty sexist anime.

I love Sword Art Online, mind you -- and it was the anime that pulled me into light novels and light novel translations -- and I was obsessed with it back then. However, from an intellectual standpoint I would say that it's a bit sexist.

Why?

Ask like 20 different women about whether any of the girls in Kirito's harem are "realistic" to any degree and most of them will flatly tell you no. Rather, the female characters in Reki Kawahara's writing is a pure figment of his own imagination. Consequently, when the entirety of the second arc of the first season is dedicated towards Asuna because stuck in a cage being fawned over my a creepo... I mean yeah, it elicits pretty negative reactions from the female readership. It kind of reduces her character to being a trophy that basically plays no significant role for the rest of the entire series.

Of course, you can state that different works have different target audiences, and I don't really complain about media targeted towards a specific audience. I don't really have a problem with the thousands of ecchi harem manga out there (and in fact I enjoy reading them -- like To Love Ru Darkness).

However, I think it's relevant thing to point out because most girls and women consume the same media as men do. I grew up watching Star Wars with Princess Leia being a giant slug's captive slave princess and playing Mario rescuing Princess Peach from Bowser. These aren't "male-only" media, and guys aren't the only people who watch these things.

I think every young child likes to find characters they can relate to and self-insert with, and it's a little disappointing to read something and kind of feel it be so flat when the female (or male) characters are basically just pieces of cardboard. I mean, I understand it when guys say that it is the "classic" "good old days", but not all women feel the same way.

Of course, I'm not arguing things or content be banned. That's absolutely extreme.

Rather I'm saying that you can make an even stronger story or game when multiple demographics can relate to the story.

50% of the world is female, and close to 50% of the most markets are female as well. When 50% of Pokemon players are female, if "sexist" content appears that makes the female demographic of players feel shitty about themselves... well yes, people remark on it and they respond with their wallets.

15. Cascadian Rex

Cascadian Rex Villain with a thousand faces | Lychee's rival

Reading List:
    Link
    That is not the whole story, tho....

Except does not portray the entirety of the context.

no sound assessment of can be made of your story.

like wise I could say, I wrote a 1000 page novel, I was told it was incredibly racist, read this short bit of it and tell me if it's true.

excerpt;
    "joy ate an apple"

there is no way of assessing the validity of the claim. and there is currently no way of disproving what your tutor have said.

16. AMissingLinguist

AMissingLinguist [Not Here][Blank Sect][Nuffian #N]

Reading List:
    Link
    Nah, your story doesn't sound sexist.

Loni4ever and otaku31 like this.
  17. chencking

chencking [Daolord Grammar Nazi]

Reading List:
    Link
    I am neutral about whether LotR is racist, but you are clearly in the wrong here. You claimed Tolkien's writing is racist. He asked for textual evidence to support your (unsupported) claim. You lashed back demanding proof God exists. This is both completely unrelated to the topic in question, and a reversal from affirming something to denying its potential existence.

tl;dr to put it simply, it is on you to provide evidence backing your claim that LotR is racist. It is not @Kutaifa 's responsibility to prove Tolkien could not have written anything racist. It is his responsibilty to refute your claims, and he has done so by pointing out you have given no factual evidence. The ball is in your court.

PS: OP, as others have mentioned, if you only gave an excerpt then there is no way we can give quality feedback. But if there is already hints of sexism in this excerpt, there is a reasonable chance there are hints throughout your story. I would recommend asking your teacher/professor for more details. Have them explain why it seemed sexist to them, and respond with why you think otherwise.

Go have a meaningful conversation, instead of reading internet peoples' rants.

18. Loni4ever

Loni4ever The Fluffy White Wolf

Reading List:
    Link
    @Lucresia do you still have that class or is it already over? I'm quite curious now what she actually meant.

In case you ask her about the specifics, please do tell us her response xD

19. Diametric

Diametric Waifu Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    IMO it depends how often you do such things and how you portray it.

If you have various characters constantly making gay jokes or telling women that they shouldn't be sexual even though it's unlikely for so many people to actually hold such beliefs then it seems like it's actually reflecting your own view and it's kinda homophobic or sexist.

If you have some characters with personalities that would make them likely to act like this doing these things without it being glorified then that's just characters not being perfect people and it's perfectly fine.

Loni4ever and AMissingLinguist like this.
  20. Lucresia

Lucresia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I have added link to my story if anyone is still interested other wise thank you for commenting.

Loni4ever and lychee like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.