Recommendations racist is trash

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by Hirai Momo, Dec 12, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Hirai Momo

Hirai Momo Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i'll try all of your suggestions later :) thank you!

2. Lazriser

Lazriser Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    A little racism is acceptable in stories involving conflict, especially if it involves plot progression between countries or ruling class.

Perhaps you don't know, but ultra nationalism is a requirement in Chinese novels. Remember what system of government those Chinese authors live in. Remember what consequences have previous authors who somehow ticked off that party. You'll get used to it, as not all Chinese novels are ultra nationalistic, just nationalistic.

Japanese novels have their own generalizations about other races, particularly Americans and Chinese. Korean novels too, but theirs is subtle compared to Chinese novels if you look hard enough on the world building.

My point saying, racism is a human quality deeply ingrained in humans. Discrimination is acceptable, but it should be controlled. We live under society, and society dictates you have to be racist to fit in. Either you're with them or not, and fortunately, not all societies are overruled by mega racists. Indeed, everyone has the potential to be racist, or as other proven, ignorance itself is also considered racism towards another's culture, tradition, and social norms.

Welcome to the world of discrimination where luckily, everyone is too busy with discriminating against each other. Just hope they're won't be another superpower fighting for their country's ethnic supremacy like in the previous world war. That didn't end well for many, but the byproduct of such an atrocious war was the advancement of civilization in certain medical and scientific fields, be it theoretical or application. It even gave us anime and manga, and a lot of other amazing stuff. Great, I got sidetracked now.

My recommendation to you is to hold off from reading any novel that has one race involved with the main race, the protagonist's race in the story.

3. Capsize

Capsize Would you like to be isekai’d? ψ(`∇´)ψ

Reading List:
    Link
    Keep in mind that those authors had written them for their intended readers; CN novels for Chinese readers, KR for Koreans, etc.

What they perceive as normal could be discriminatory when viewed by another and vice versa.

Humans thrive on conflict

Littleton94, Hirai Momo and otaku31 like this.
  4. lucjanssens

lucjanssens a very ¨rabbit¨ bunny

Reading List:
    Link
    i'm a bit curious
    does the hate between humans and demon who change in human form count as racism

Hirai Momo likes this.
  5. Hirai Momo

Reading List:
    Link
    well i get your point, but some novel that i read has come to the point that it focuses on racism insted of the plot. example like traxending vision its good on the start then about 300or500-1000+ its racism is all over the novel, its just kinda sucks that another good novel went bad.
    haaay :( nevermind bro.
    thanks for your recommendation i'll try that!

6. Lazriser

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, it's racism as demons are considered a race in most fantasy worlds.

There's even some isekais that seriously tackle this human vs demon war. It's a good read.

Wait, do you mean demon transforming into a human and real humans hate the transformed demon or something? Still racist, because if the root cause of hatred is the demon's origin, their race, then it's racism. There's even this cliche of having elves lower than commoners in human supremacy isekais.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
  7. Hirai Momo

Reading List:
    Link
    i dunno haha frankly speaking for me they're different species even if they can transform haha

wha
    what novel is that?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2019
  8. Lazriser

Reading List:
    Link
    I already forgot the titles, but there's a lot of those novel you can find here. Just search and filter accurately enough or ask for recommendations. These stories tend to have nation building elements, agriculture and quite carefree chapters most of the time, but when shit hits the fan, then it's gravely serious with consequences both in the surface and background. You can try reading old web novels, like the popular JP web novels during when isekais were still a new thing. Those stories were better compared to most generic isekais today.

Hirai Momo likes this.
  9. Hirai Momo

Reading List:
    Link
    ok ok thank you! imma search it now

10. orig27

orig27 Everlasting Monarch

Reading List:
    Link
    It's lazy but we can't do anything about it :)
    You ever play a game that involves factions wars? :X3:

11. Sabruness

Sabruness Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    nope because usually writing's how they make their money so they need to cram in the racism and "china best stronk" stuff every chance they get so they can avoid having their novels yanked and purged from publication

12. Simon

Simon [The Pure One's Chief Steward][Demon Beast]

Reading List:
    Link
    You should see how they treat Chinese people from other provinces, if you don't speak the right dialect you're treated as trash.

13. neogamer

neogamer Cute is justice!「Maxwell 」

Reading List:
    Link
    Because I’m a Weapon Shop Uncle?

14. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    It does. But it is a necessary part of the story that explains the world. It is part of the conflict that makes up the plot.

Ai-chan thinks the OP only meant the overt racist undertones in Chinese novels where Japanese people are all rapists and evil stuff and white people are always greedy people who do evil stuff to them. While one can argue that this is part of the novel's worldbuilding, in most cases, it just comes out of nowhere and so arbitrary without any explanation other than "It just is". That is generally the problem with racism in Chinese novels.

Westeller likes this.
  15. MrBugaw

MrBugaw Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm always amused and baffled by some people's reaction to casual racism in chinese novels. Like, it's not actually affecting their life at all, it's fiction. And yet they get triggered. I just don't understand it myself. Why do they seem to have such a visceral reaction that they have to complain about the chinese doing it. It's almost like they are being...
    stereotyped. The chinese, that is. The chinese are being stereotyped as racist.

(Bet you thought I was going to say the complainers are being racist)

GDLiZy likes this.
  16. Dragon Devourer

Dragon Devourer Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You still did, you just used a synonym to pretend like you didn't.

17. Littleton94

Littleton94 Lord of the Shadow trolls*shadow stalker*F5 sect

Reading List:
    Link
    It should considering that's actual race problems instead of different nationalities

18. chucke

chucke Going towards the glorious future

Reading List:
    Link
    It is not about racism per se but mostly because it is usually used to justify asspulls in the stories. Basically lazy writing that ruins the enjoyable stories.

19. MrBugaw

MrBugaw Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you want to pretend that's what I did...then it's exactly what I did.
    So...what's your point?
    Are you for or against my little amusement?

20. GDLiZy

GDLiZy Wise Deepsea Mermaid

Reading List:
    Link
    Prejudice will always exist, so don't get your hope up. It's either so subtle you wouldn't even notice it or big enough for you to notice.