Recommendations Good romance novels that happen to be harem to I ended up ignoring them.

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by Walter vi Britannia, Dec 12, 2019.

1. Walter vi Britannia

Walter vi Britannia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Recommend me good romance novels that focus purely on one girl as a love interest but it has a harem tag since some other girls who are not love interests showed interest in the MC and I ended up avoiding that novel since I hate harem. (And by that I don't mean harem novels that end with the MC choosing one girl, I mean novels that defiantly stuck to one girl as the main heroine and doesn't include that generic cockblocking or the main character wavering from one character to another not showing any decisiveness in who to choose. I'm basically just asking for pure romance novels that just happen to have a harem tag even though it doesn't focus on the harem and instead focuses on the romance between two people.)

I have a bias against harem so whenever I see that tag I don't even probe any further into what sort of novel it is and just leave.

But I know there are some really good romantic plots in novels that have that harem tag...it just so happened that the author decided to make every girl the main character comes across fall in love with him so it got a harem tag, but in fact, other than that happening on the side, the main character tends to be largely devoted to a singular love interest and it's a pretty good love story that mainly focuses on those two characters' relationship.

I don't have many examples since, as I mentioned, I avoid all harem...but once upon a time I did not avoid them like this. It was when I wasn't biased against anything. At that time I started watching a lot of animes and mangas and novels with the harem genre tag since 90% of all popular animes tended to be harem and ecchi...and most of them were so bad and infuriating and the plain old same thing happening over and over again that I really got sick of them. But there were some good ones like The World God Only Knows and such.

A novel I've started back then that is tagged harem but I still like is Altina the Sword Princess...which, although not very big on the romance category, actually focuses mainly on one girl. You understand that although all the girls fall for the MC, they're not really being treated as love interests by the author. I would've completely missed this gem otherwise if I hadn't started reading it back in 2015 or whatever. Here the harem tag feels like it's for show and the main character doesn't actually keep wavering between multiple girls and his feelings being tossed around.

I don't want a story where the main character picks one girl at the end after tons of harem bullshit like Nisekoi. I want something that, from the beginning, is purely focused on the romance between two people like a normal romance novel...just that it has a misleading harem tag since a bunch more girls fell for the MC along the way and I ended up skipping it for the tag that it ended up earning for that. True harem fans will preach that that's not a true harem since the story focuses on one girl, and so will I. That is NOT a true harem novel. But it sure does have the tag, and that tag surely repelled me away from it even though I might have liked it if I gave it a shot.

2. OverlordPotato

OverlordPotato Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Douluo Dalu series. Especially DD3 among them.
    It's like a pseudo-harem, other girls end up falling for the MC but he sticks the the FL to the end. None of them is tagged harem though iirc.

3. Walter vi Britannia

Reading List:
    Link
    Since no one is replying to my thread, I'll reply to myself like the lonely man I am.

While having dinner after posting this, I just remembered two animes...not novels, but still, they suit my requirements.
    Kaze no Naka no Primrose
    Yamada-kun and the Seven Witches

AMissingLinguist likes this.
  4. Walter vi Britannia

Reading List:
    Link
    OOOH! Someone replied!!

Anyway, Douluo Dalu is a harem? I don't think it has the harem tag.
    I've read it already. I was asking for ones with the harem tag since those are the ones I usually skip without a second thought, I'm not asking for novels where that side harem thing happens but there is no harem tag...cause if it doesn't have a harem tag I've most likely read it or am planning on reading it. I'm talking purely about the surface view of the novel, the genre tag, that's all. I'm asking for ones that I might have missed because of that tag. The novels that I judged by the cover instead of its contents cause I can't be bothered to check every content.

5. OverlordPotato

OverlordPotato Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yep, edited it just before you posted. It doesn't have the tag. Idk if I've seen novels which have the tag and have only one MC-FL relation kind you're looking for.
    Lurking, that interests me.

6. tornberry

tornberry Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    koi choco? kaze no naka no primrose is the ending song name

anyway i've stopped reading it for quite a long time, but the last time i read mc still focuses on the main female lead : Still, Wait For Me

7. AMissingLinguist

AMissingLinguist [Not Here][Blank Sect][Nuffian #N]

Reading List:
    Link
    I recommend fixing the title. It might get more people to respond. I haven't read a harem story in a long time, so I don't have any recommendations for you that fit your criteria.

8. XlIl

XlIl Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There’s a good novel called still, wait for me with 500 chapters. It’s harem like with multiple female leads.

Walter vi Britannia likes this.
  9. Walter vi Britannia

Reading List:
    Link
    ...ahhh! Right!!!
    I forgot...lol.
    I watched it WAYYY back in 2013 so you can't blame me. I really liked playing the beginning part of that ending on my violin (since I was still a beginner and that part sounded really nice and was simple too) so I ended up associating that with this anime. Haha, I feel dumb.

Anyway, thanks.

10. Walter vi Britannia

Reading List:
    Link
    It's ok, I wasn't expecting much anyway. It was just a passing thought if there were some good romance novels among the countless harem ones, I don't really care that much.

AMissingLinguist likes this.