[Poll] Are you an open-minded person?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by lychee, Dec 12, 2019.

Tags:
?

Can you empathize with the beliefs of people that you encounter?

1. 100% - I can empathize and understand the beliefs of all the people in the world

10 vote(s)
    13.0%
  2. 99% - I can empathize and understand the beliefs of nearly everybody

4 vote(s)
    5.2%
  3. 95% - I can empathize and understand the beliefs of 19 / 20 people I encounter

4 vote(s)
    5.2%
  4. 90% - I can empathize and understand the beliefs of 9 / 10 people I encounter

7 vote(s)
    9.1%
  5. 80% - I can empathize and understand the beliefs of 4 / 5 people I encounter

6 vote(s)
    7.8%
  6. 75% - I can empathize and understand the beliefs of 3 / 4 people I encounter

4 vote(s)
    5.2%
  7. 66% - I can empathize and understand the beliefs of 2 / 3 people I encounter

4 vote(s)
    5.2%
  8. 50% - I can empathize and understand the beliefs of half the people I encounter

5 vote(s)
    6.5%
  9. 33% - I can empathize and understand the beliefs of 1 / 3 people I encounter

2 vote(s)
    2.6%
  10. 25% - I can empathize and understand the beliefs of 1 / 4 people I encounter

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  11. 20% - I can empathize and understand the beliefs of 1 / 5 people I encounter

3 vote(s)
    3.9%
  12. 10% - I can empathize and understand the beliefs of 1 / 10 people I encounter

4 vote(s)
    5.2%
  13. 5% - I can empathize and understand the beliefs of 1 / 20 people I encounter

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. 1% - I can empathize and understand the beliefs of nearly nobody

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  15. 0% - I can't empathize or understand the beliefs of anybody

2 vote(s)
    2.6%
  16. I'm unsure

16 vote(s)
    20.8%
  17. I do not wish to respond

4 vote(s)
    5.2%
  1. chamchaworld

chamchaworld Lazy Chibi

Reading List:
    Link
    1. Do you consider yourself an open-minded or close-minded person? Depend on situation, I guess.

2. Do you ever have difficulty admitting that you were wrong? Do you ever question your own beliefs? Do you prefer talking or listening? No. No. Both.

3. Do you think it's better to be more open-minded or close-minded? Do you want to be more open/close-minded? I like the way I am now.

4. Is it possible to be too open-minded? What negative consequences can result from being too open-minded? What about too close-minded? Too much of anything is always bad.

5. Are there certain topics that you refuse to be open-minded about? Do you have any dogmatic beliefs that you refuse to change? My religion, obviously. I didn't like poking around people's religion, so I hate it when other do that to me.

otaku31, lychee and Loni4ever like this.
  2. Anra7777

Anra7777 All powerful magic grammar hamster queen pirate.

Reading List:
    Link
    Attempt 2! I started writing an answer and accidentally deleted it.

Welcome to my childhood! Some of my earliest memories include my parents yelling at each other. They’d always have different versions of what happened, would tell them to me, and expect me to take the side of the person telling me. Even when I was physically present, it was usually impossible to tell who was right and who was wrong. So, from an early age, I had to keep two conflicting narratives in my head and say that they were both right. It was awful.

1. Do you consider yourself an open-minded or close-minded person?
    It depends. I’m open-minded on some subjects, closed on others.
    2. Do you ever have difficulty admitting that you were wrong? Do you ever question your own beliefs? Do you prefer talking or listening?
    Having difficulty saying I was wrong... if I’m convinced I was, no. I say it right out. If I’m not, it’s very hard, but my mom was a person who wouldn’t often accept her being wrong and my being right. I was often made to say “I was wrong,” even when I was convinced in my heart I wasn’t.
    3. Do you think it's better to be more open-minded or close-minded? Do you want to be more open/close-minded?
    Open. Open.
    4. Is it possible to be too open-minded? What negative consequences can result from being too open-minded? What about too close-minded?
    Being too open-minded can lead to being taken advantage of. Being too closed-minded can lead to being hurtful.
    5. Are there certain topics that you refuse to be open-minded about? Do you have any dogmatic beliefs that you refuse to change?
    I refuse to change certain ideas: like that feminism is overall an important thing (even if there are some—very few!—bad actors), or that there’s nothing wrong with being LGBT+, or that domestic violence is bad, things like that.

lychee and Loni4ever like this.
  3. zhainan2157

zhainan2157 『Villager No.2157』『Kawaii Connoisseur』

Reading List:
    Link
    I consider myself a very open-minded person who loves having civil debates with people. Even though I'm an introvert, when we start debating, I just don't stop talking. Even if someone holds the same views as me, I would take the opposite view and debate from that side.
    However, I didn't choose 100% because there are just some people that isn't worth your time and effort to have a discussion with. If they don't give me respect, then I won't respect their beliefs (at least, I don't want to learn more about their belief through them).
    I also have a few ideologies that I consider unchangeable.

4. SpearOfLies

SpearOfLies [Lucky Dad][Has a lovely daughter]

Reading List:
    Link
    100% open mind. I want to live in a ideal world where people are discussing ideas than simply stating opinions and dodging confrontation. Of course the point is not changing the other party beliefs but exchanging experiences.
    2. Do you ever have difficulty admitting that you were wrong? Do you ever question your own beliefs? Do you prefer talking or listening?
    I don't mind admit I'm wrong when I'm unsure or someone give me a good argument. I often question myself. I'm not saying it's easy to change my beliefs but more like I try to improve my beliefs everyday that it's unlikely them to change unless someone can push a far better argument. I don't mind talking or listening.
    3. Do you think it's better to be more open-minded or close-minded? Do you want to be more open/close-minded?
    I think it's better to be more open minded but I do want to be a little bit more close-minded. Sometimes I just wish to go for it instead of overthinking.

4. Is it possible to be too open-minded? What negative consequences can result from being too open-minded? What about too close-minded?
    Slow in taking decision? Inability to give a proper opinion? Worry too much? It's hard to say one exact thing. It matter about what they are open minded about.

Close mindeds are pain in the ass to deal when they are wrong.

5. Are there certain topics that you refuse to be open-minded about? Do you have any dogmatic beliefs that you refuse to change?
    The only moment when I start to be close minded is when people start to say BS for a while. I don't really want to hear their crappy opinions about something they don't even understand. Half-assed knowledge is garbage.

lychee likes this.
  5. keitachan

keitachan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't think having empathy with everyone is possible That would not mean you are open-minded but rather make you mentally I'll and not in a good way.

lychee likes this.
  6. Loni4ever

Loni4ever The Fluffy White Wolf

Reading List:
    Link
    What are these ideologies, if you don't mind me asking? :blobpopcorn:

lychee likes this.
  7. Robbini

Robbini Logical? Illogical? Random? Or Just Unique?

Reading List:
    Link
    Close-minded in that I don't bother others unless they bother me usually, open-minded in that I can admit their arguments make sense if they do
    Depends on the subject. If it's something easily seen as wrong or not, then i'll admit they're more right, although i'm not necessarily totally wrong. Listening, i'm too lazy to talk all the time.
    Balance is necessary.
    Never having your own opinion, easily being swayed by others
    i would rarely actually start an argument with someone, but if I do it out of principles, then by god (or devil) i'll stick to my arguments about principles to the end unless I come up with better arguments. Their arguments might be common sense, but my arguments are principle common sense.

Astaroth and lychee like this.
  8. lychee

lychee [- slightly morbid fruit -] ❀[ 恋爱? ]❀

Reading List:
    Link
    Tell me more! :blobpopcorn: I'm curious about your thoughts!

Loni4ever likes this.
  9. SpearOfLies

SpearOfLies [Lucky Dad][Has a lovely daughter]

Reading List:
    Link
    Anyway I like some of pools as it's like sharing and confronting opinions. Is the main reason I follow @lychee

lychee likes this.
  10. MrSplashy

MrSplashy Grey Knight

Reading List:
    Link
    Basically sums up everything for me though I choose 90%.

lychee likes this.
  11. Rickymex

Rickymex Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes according to the list of things I have jerked off to.

12. zhainan2157

zhainan2157 『Villager No.2157』『Kawaii Connoisseur』

Reading List:
    Link
    Would talk about them, but I'm pretty sure these types of topics are banned on this forum, they include political ideologies and other such stuff. I even got in trouble once for saying a joke that contained the name of a political figure. It was a pretty funny joke imo that threw no shade at anyone, but just his name in there made my thread get deleted. You gotta be careful around these subjects, they're always watching you:blobcatcop:

13. Loni4ever

Reading List:
    Link
    [​IMG]
    xDD

lychee likes this.
  14. girisuherman

girisuherman ∆ Hiki Bear ∆

Reading List:
    Link
    Well I consider my self is a very open-minded person as I take another idea very well and question the logic behind it

Well murphy law says wrong can go wrong, so I admit wrong if there is truth behind it, I never a believer since 13-year-old (don't get offended) also I preferred to listen than talk except when they ask questions.

Probably the open one because they can accept change faster than close-minded. I hope more old people are open-minded because of its pain when trying to explain something but they don't accept the fact
    Well to open-minded can confuse someone when they accept the wrong idea, also too close-minded people become too inflexible and don't accept change too fast.
    Yes, I can't open-minded when the topic If religions (don't get offended) to me they, appear to force me to accept the idea without asking why except they commonly adopted...

lychee likes this.
  15. Kadmos1

Kadmos1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Depending on the topic being discussed, I might be open- or close-minded, so I think overall I put myself in whatever category you would call the in-betweeners.

16. Loni4ever

Reading List:
    Link
    @Lonelycity I'm curious about what you'd answer :blob_grin:

Btw @lychee after reading the first post again, I noticed that some of the things you quoted from that site were kinda... strange and/or amusing, possibly questionable too? XD like
    Is that "I'm not racist, but..." applied to this topic? :blobjoy::blobjoy: srsly though, I can't remember the last time I heard someone say "I might be wrong, but...". Do a lot of people even use that?
    That kinda sounds like the author is an anxious person... anyway. Maybe I'll go visit that site to get more context xD

otaku31 and lychee like this.
  17. lychee

lychee [- slightly morbid fruit -] ❀[ 恋爱? ]❀

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah I do think it’s pretty questionable too! The first couple ones I think I agree with, but the later ones get weirder and weirder

Loni4ever likes this.
  18. Woho0

Woho0 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I consider myself open-minded.

I don't have any difficulty admitting I was wrong emotionally, but I might refuse for practical reasons. I do question my believes and often adjust it based on research. I prefer to listen, and talk after having done the needed research.

I think it's better to be more open-minded and allow yourself to change for the better.

Being open minded means you take your time researching. The consumption of time can be seen as a negative consequence. Being too close-minded can lead to desisions you later regret.

I'm open-minded about literally everything, including even stuff like racism and pedofilie. Sadly I frequently get wrongly labeled with all kinds of labels by self proclaimed open-minded people because I allowed others to discuss 'extreme' views too freely.

19. 25th bamm

25th bamm A Self-proclaimed Normal Reader and Tea lover

Reading List:
    Link
    Disclaimer: I'll try to answer this honestly but a person can only be so objective about one's self. So take everything with a grain of salt. Also, this is just my opinion now. (y)
    Short answer: I think lean towards the open-minded side.
    Long answer: Out of the 7 characteristics I agreed with 5 of the open-minded but 2 of the characteristic I don't know because I see my self in both of them sometimes. Also, those traits were biased to open-minded side. :blobsweat_2: haha There are some times I don't take the time but the majority of the time I will listen. This seems like an obvious but I'm only talking about a person to person conversation with someone I know, i have time, and they actually want my opinion. I don't get into random disagreements with strangers at random time. The only time I can think of where I don't take the time is when I disagree with someone multiple times about the same subject. Unless the person says they have more reasons for their cause or whatever I will just say I disagree and leave it at that, no need to have the same argument with the same points and same person multiple times.
    Short answer: Its a bit embarrassing sometimes but generally no. Yes, I will pick them and once I finish I will either have an opinion or reject making one for the lack of knowledge. I prefer to listen first and talk later.
    Long answer: I usually don't have a problem being wrong. I actually appreciate finding out I'm wrong because it means I can fix my opinion or whatever. The only time I have a problem admitting I was wrong, is when I have to go back after the conversation ended and admit it. However, if I don't do that it will bother me for a bit. I do question my beliefs all the time. I will make counterarguments and arguments and whichever comes out on top is what I choose. However, if someone comes along and makes a argument better then mine then I will admit defeat. Sometimes I choose not to make an opion or belief because it would be baseless. I typically prefer to listen first, then talk. However, sometimes I have a hard time and jump in without listening to the whole thing. I usually do that when the person goes off-topic or repeats themselves. I believe every person should have a chance to talk or else that is not a conversation or argument, but a lecture.

Short answer
    : I think it's better to be an open-minded person. I think I would like to be more open-minded.
    Long answer: I think it better to be open-minded because if everyone tried to understand and listen, then wouldnt it be a bit better?
    Short answer
    : Yes, because you never will have that feeling of being completely sure. If your too closed-minded then you could wrong and a make mistake.
    Long answer: I have battled with feeling uneasy with my opinions. because what if I'm wrong and making a mistake? I have decided that you can't worry about that because you probably will never know for sure. All you can do is your best, right?
    Uh... none that I can think of right now.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
    Loni4ever and lychee like this.
  20. Simon

Simon [The Pure One's Chief Steward][Demon Beast]

Reading List:
    Link
    It like saying travel boardens the mind. When you see whats out there, the grass is never greener.

To be open minded is hear the other person out, its not agreeing with what they say.

The problem with society that's too open minded is that any tom, dick, or harry has an opinion and to many asses makes a lot of assumptions.

If the topic is mostly opinion based, I can be very closed minded.