Discussion Career Choices

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Daisydacrazy, Dec 14, 2019.

1. Daisydacrazy

Daisydacrazy !!

Reading List:
    Link
    I honestly wouldnt mind that. But i really hope i could do something i would enjoy or have fun with.
    That would depend on where the store is and the popularity of it.

SquadCammander354 likes this.
  2. Star2185

Star2185 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Take a look at this link if you are in the US: bls(dot)gov/ooh/
    (not able to post a link. Replace (dot) with .
    It is a directory of jobs containing education/skill reqs, median pay/salary, and future job outlook.

Think about your current skills and hobbies and choose a job that you think you may enjoy. Use the link above a look up more about your job. You will want to choose a profession that has a job outlook of growing or relatively stable.

It is also normal for people to change majors multiple times while in college. Don't think you are stuck with it for the rest of your life if you found out that you don't like whichever major you have chosen. Many people also do not end up working on their area of study right out of college. For example, an engineering person might end up working in a business position or vice versa. The important thing is that you are constantly learning and picking up new skills that will support your goals and dreams.

Also, my professor once said, by the time we graduate from college, we are considered obsolete. The next batch of college graduates will be better equipped in skills and knowledge as they enter the workforce. This is to emphasize that we need to be continuously learning in order to stay ahead of the curve.

Blitz, Little Potato, lychee and 4 others like this.
  3. Daisydacrazy

Daisydacrazy !!

Reading List:
    Link
    *looks at grades* yep! They’re fine

4. aegis062

aegis062 Chaotic Demon Emperor

Reading List:
    Link
    I learned this the hard way and it better to learn it early than wait till your 30. picking a career isn't about picking something you like it's about picking something you hate the least. what ever career it is make sure it doesn't make you miserable and give you enough free time. Work is just that work. once work is done it's free time to do what you love. most people don't get to do what they love because the market for fun jobs is taken by 1% meaning the rich and those with connection and anyone they deem marketable.

luckily the internet exist so if your an artist you can make your own web page and youtube channel and if you're deemed talented enough by the masses you might be able to sell your art.

If you like coding then you can practice with other online and have them talk and even teach you if you already have some knowledge. you can make your own app, game, web page etc.

don't wait to get hired try every facet and if your able to start your own business even better. a DEGREE DOES NOT MEAN AUTOMATIC JOB!!!

careers more often than not are not as great as people try to build them up to trying to find a career you love is possible, but not realistic for most. if it was then everyone would be working from home 30 min or 1hr a day and earning 200k a year.

imK, lychee, Wujigege and 2 others like this.
  5. Daisydacrazy

Daisydacrazy !!

Reading List:
    Link
    *hugs* thanks! It seems good. Will take a look tmw
    thanks o7

6. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Rare how? You don't have to like what makes you money.
    You just need to keep an open mind

7. samzee

samzee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I've finished college a few years back and I'm in a good place in my field right now. The only advice I can give is find internships during college. Starting maybe year 2 or so, hopefully you'll have a good idea of what you want to do so find the internship for the related career choice. It's a lot easier to find internships while in college with decent grade to 'puff' up your resume. A lot of jobs has something of the like of "+3 years experience in this field, etc" as a beginner job which is crap when you just graduated college. Well, in my opinion, most people put that as a criteria to weed out the inexperience and insecure. But as long as you're closed to it, they should overlook experience especially if you got internship experience in related field even if its +6 months, or etc.

Plus, internships can turned into full time offer in some work place which is what happen to me. A lot of my company's hired were initially from internship. And in my field, internships are always paid so if you were offer a internship in a related field, I would take that over any part-time jobs that isn't in your field.

Grade is not a bad indicator of when you're doing internships so keep it up to at least +3.0GPA on your resume but after 1-2 internships, it matters less and less and by the time you graduate, I don't even put it in there anymore.

The degree that you choose often open the doors to your field of choice, but its up to you and your internship/work to get the offer.

Best of luck, the initial starting point of getting internships/job is difficult but if you can do it, it's a breeze onward as long as your interview skill aren't bad, and you got decent experience.

Daisydacrazy likes this.
  8. Daisydacrazy

Daisydacrazy !!

Reading List:
    Link
    thats the thing. I want to enjoy what i do. But i also wouldnt mind a job thats not as enjoyable, but i woukd prefer one that i enjoy

9. Cosmic_

Cosmic_ [Novel Addict] [Lazy Writer] [Meh Editor]

Reading List:
    Link
    College/Uni student here. Computer Science major.

Have you've gotten your college choices down? Do that first.

There's a lot in deciding a career. Do note though that many don't go into the expected career of their major. It's still useful just not as much as you'd think. A degree is more just a certification of your competence. It's saying that you are at least someone who can work and are probably better than someone without a degree. It's often about GPA and grades to give you a label of value.

I'd start by determining which field you want to be in. Focus on if you want it to be an Arts and Science or Engineering, etc. Then just narrow it down. I'd especially do research into the reality of the career/field. For example, science is great, but it's not as wonderous as it seems. Especially things in research. A lot of writing and math. CS is a lot of debugging and reading code. It's a pretty unexciting career. Do research on the market, work hours, etc.

Look at the Roadmap if your college has one on its website. It's a huge help in determining how far or specialized you'd want to go. Does your field need a Masters, Is the degree in Art or Science of that field? What is the required class load? Learn your required courses and how you'd progress through each semester.

If you really are unsure, you should look into if they have Exploratory, where you can go for a couple or three semesters without picking a major. This lets you explore and you can just focus on the required-for-everyone/core classes.

10. Daisydacrazy

Daisydacrazy !!

Reading List:
    Link
    thanks >.<

11. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    If you make enjoyment your priority then you are most likely going to fail
    I recommend paying close attention to what @aegis062 said. I couldn't have said it any better.
    I will add this : Anything that you enjoy will be expensive.
    You need to be rich before you can dream.
    Cheers!

Daisydacrazy likes this.
  12. Anra7777

Anra7777 All powerful magic grammar hamster queen pirate.

Reading List:
    Link
    I’m not the greatest choice to ask. I graduated college during the recession, was able to find only two part time jobs during the next 5-6 years afterward. One was a contract job that lasted only the year. The other was a server job which I would not recommend our Daisy doing. I was able to get some better part time jobs once I started law school, but those jobs were related to the law and not something Daisy could get without going to law school, but right now I’m a NEET and a hikikomori.

13. Daisydacrazy

Daisydacrazy !!

Reading List:
    Link
    guess ill save up, wait till im retired, and then travel all of the world :3

14. Miserys_End

Miserys_End 「Lv1 Pretend Person」I'm the preson i pretend to be

Reading List:
    Link
    With good grades you could do actually quite a bit. Governmental working in the post office(bad rep, but decent pay) or dumb. Social workers for the different branches of DHS should be in heavy demand as well. If you're not wanting to work with the public, there is always secretary work, filing records of all sorts, and many similar position. In most case they are straight 40h/week positions with little to no overtime(unless you're slow, in which case you get fired)

If you're not wanting to be stuck behind a desk there are all sorts of either delivery companies like FedEx and UPS that need couriers/drivers. Long haul drivers for the big trucks is also another option. LoL you could also go the seasonal tractor operator, though that does have long hours, albeit for only a few short months

That's about all I have to offer
    Frankly job hopping like that is an extremely bad idea. If it ever gets found out by potential employers they wont bother with your CV/resume. I mean who wants to hire/start training someone who will likely quit in less then a week

Daisydacrazy likes this.
  15. Little Potato

Little Potato Sexiest Potato Alive [SpaceBar's Master]

Reading List:
    Link
    You do realize that I'm technically not telling OP to try out all types of jobs for a week ...right? :facepalm: It's an example of my main message that she should first find what she's passionate about....

Daisydacrazy likes this.
  16. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Pretty cool link
    Supposedly I should be teaching the Kwame something group thereo

Daisydacrazy likes this.
  17. Gandire Alea

Gandire Alea [Wicked Awesome Translator]

Reading List:
    Link
    Teach English aborad~
    That's more a place holder though...

18. Daisydacrazy

Daisydacrazy !!

Reading List:
    Link
    that doesnt seem bad, though i might need to pay attention in english class and learn a bit about the language aboard

19. SquadCammander354

SquadCammander354 『Early Life Crisis』〖Stormy's Bro〗『Lord of Storms』

Reading List:
    Link
    Go to bed already, it's like 12:30 already. ("-_-)

20. Daisydacrazy

Daisydacrazy !!

Reading List:
    Link
    *smack you in the head* you first