Discussion Career Choices

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Daisydacrazy, Dec 14, 2019.

1. SquadCammander354

SquadCammander354 『Early Life Crisis』〖Stormy's Bro〗『Lord of Storms』

Reading List:
    Link
    ÒAÓ)/ No, you have a good night's sleep first!

2. Daisydacrazy

Daisydacrazy !!

Reading List:
    Link
    I will when i get sleepy

SquadCammander354 likes this.
  3. Gandire Alea

Gandire Alea [Wicked Awesome Translator]

Reading List:
    Link
    Truthfully, you don’t need to know that much about the language of the country you go to in order to teach. That said, they mostly just look for a college degree. Knowing the basics of English and the langague of the country you go to can be helpful though.

Daisydacrazy likes this.
  4. yuzuki

yuzuki [sweet night] [plum blossoms]

Reading List:
    Link
    *puts on the @yuzuki hat*

I went to medical school in the US and I'm doing a bunch of research in the health sciences! If you have any questions about health care, research, or biotech in the US, you can ask me~

I really like this advice from @Cosmic_

I think in high school, it's still rather early, so it's good enough to have a sense of the rough direction you want to more towards. Don't worry if you don't have a specific idea in mind. If you're thinking about it already, it's good enough! If you have time, ask some people in the fields you're considering questions about what their work is like. Think about if you like what they do, if you like their lifestyle, or if you like the kind of people who work in that field.

Are you the kind of person who loves writing? Or hates math? Or loves puzzles? Do you like talking to people? Are you competitive?

It's helpful to think about your likes and dislikes, because this will help you get a better sense if you like certain jobs or not.

5. sgrey

sgrey Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Daisy-tan, it is really up to you. The best thing you can do is to try things out. Go to some fairs, workshops, seminars, maybe volunteer at some places. You need to find out what you are comfortable with.
    Whatever tests you do now, they are non-binding, you are free to choose anything you want later. Every job has benefits and drawbacks, so you need to find one where you feel the best.

Also, you tend to be interested in what you are good at, and you can get trained on things. Also, many people are not happy with the so-called high-paying jobs because they are very stressful and they don't have any lives except for the job. You can make a decent living doing almost anything.

What I think you should do is get a list of professions and read up on what they do. See if there is anything interesting. In addition, if you start learning something new, you might unexpectedly discover new interests and passions.

6. Fossil

Fossil 「Spooky」「Scary」「Skeleton」

Reading List:
    Link
    What are you good at? And have you taken any tests to see viable career options?

SquadCammander354 likes this.
  7. SquadCammander354

SquadCammander354 『Early Life Crisis』〖Stormy's Bro〗『Lord of Storms』

Reading List:
    Link
    *cries internally*

Fossil and Daisydacrazy like this.
  8. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Daisy did you never imagine yourself doing any sort of job in the future before?
    Money will come later but you got to think about what sort of job you see yourself comfortable doing, for some it is a law related job, for others it is education related job, for others, they prefer being their own boss (so they opt for opening their own company or business), etc...
    Think it thoroughly, take your time (you still got it)

9. Daisydacrazy

Daisydacrazy !!

Reading List:
    Link
    Im not sure. And nope
    i imagined myself as a lawyer once before, but i took the stress and my bad memory into consideration and decided against it. And i considered being a teacher once, but then i started disliking little kids...

10. Lurking

Lurking Do the dead suffer, or is it a sweet release?

Reading List:
    Link
    nothing medical.

try researching the hospitality industry and hotel abroad stuff

11. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    This is one part of this community that pisses me off: naivety on how businesses work.
    For business 101, we were thought that everything is a business. Even parents funding their children's education and expecting a successful career out of it.
    But the elephant in the room, seems to have been missed in this thread. The economy of the world has a whole is a mess because too many people are focusing on getting a job instead of creating jobs. Too many graduates with not enough jobs, this has lead to underemployment.
    It would do you a lot of good if your career is more about creating jobs than looking for a job.
    I have gotten a lot of stick about my website but I employ close to 10 people and its growing.
    I am pretty proud of my "crappy" website.
    Cheers!

Lurking and Daisydacrazy like this.
  12. BB_Tensei

BB_Tensei [Crystal Operator][Jack of all Trades]

Reading List:
    Link
    Can't say you're wrong about underemployment. Problem is, who would take a risk at such a low success rate? Currently nobody has enough money to pay a satisfactory salary to anybody, as a startup. Meanwhile nobody wants to work for barely nothing, because people have rent, people paid for education, people want goods. They are right to want that, because somebody out there has to consume your product for you to earn money. The entire chain of supply and demand is dissolving into a pile of shit, and you know why? 'Cause there's nothing essential most people can produce and consume at such large rates. We can afford food easily. We got electricity, we got water, we got internet. Once we have that, employers think we have everything, and then wonder why nobody buys their shit. Well, we don't have the extra income for it, sorry. I myself bought software and unity assets for my team. Go beg Elon Musk to pay for asian novels, bet he'd be interested. xD

Lurking, Daisydacrazy and Wujigege like this.
  13. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Hahaha people praise billionaires who are exploiting the system and paying zero taxes in some situations because deep down they want to be like them.
    But public services cost money, like everything good when big companies legally avoid paying taxes average people suffer. The excuse of them getting tax benefits in exchange for job creation is crap especially when they pay so poorly or offer horrible working conditions.
    I proudly say that I pay my translators on average better than even webnovel.com but it is very hard. It is mainly for ethical reasons as I am not interested in running a sweatshop. There is competition with MTL crap which makes it even more difficult but it is not impossible. I found ways to generate revenue without paying for extra chapters by using interactive polls and quizzes which pay money
    That certainly helped. Given how MTL and Webnovel release 5000 chapters a day, it is impossible to compete with them unless you run a sweatshop.
    I recalled someone who attacked me on comments for not releasing as fast as Webnovel.com.. well I dont have a company worth about half a trillion dollars behind me like they do in Tencent haha
    There is hope though in newer technologies by companies like Apester and Insticator. I always wanted a Rewarded Video Ad solution but that is too expensive to implement and might not work as well as I imagined since Webnovel.com use to have it before( Ad walled chapters) but they stopped.
    But dont worry..

14. BB_Tensei

Reading List:
    Link
    Indeed, those bastards are damn stingy and we're footing the bill, aren't we? xD But can you really offer a better product than Webnovel? I think you can, just gotta actually mine out the better novels out there. Who picks what to translate again?

15. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Better novels? I think that is a fantasy. It is better to pick novels with loyal readers who will read on my website instead of on pirate websites. Which is why for Chinese novels, I translate mostly BL.
    No matter how good an action novel is, as long as I dont match 2 chapters per day release rate of Webnovel, Wuxiaworld and other companies, it is pointless.
    Instead of targetting general readers, I am targetting a niche

Last edited: Dec 15, 2019
    Lurking and BB_Tensei like this.
  16. BB_Tensei

Reading List:
    Link
    Oof, admittedly realistic. It's not as niche as it used to be, though. If anything, translated BL content is increasing, as opposed to action, even isekai, as trends. Again, ultimately it's about the quality of the products. Consumers actually experience fatigue after eating the same grub for years. xD You might want to diversify soon enough.

Lurking and Wujigege like this.
  17. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    You underestimate how powerful books are.
    Books are like drugs, people don't diversify from drugs.
    Also, no two story are the same even if the first one was plagiarized.
    The first one can be set in modern day and the other one an historical drama.
    Books diversity by default.
    Variety is a necessity for books.

18. Chilli_Chiia

Chilli_Chiia Trying to survive my courses

Reading List:
    Link
    Be the opposite of me. Away from the medical industry. If you like being in a inside job maybe try an office job. If you’re a persuasive person try to be a salesperson. If you’re working as a saleswoman try to work for a rich place cause my sister works part time at a watch place and gets paid around the same as my older brother who’s a full time accountant.

19. Blitz

Blitz ⛈️ awakened from the reverie❄️

Reading List:
    Link
    I always knew I wanted to do a degree related to the science field since highschool. I listed out potential jobs and slowly narrowed it down from there. You aren't starting uni yet so it should be fine to have quite the few choices. Take a look and explore

Daisydacrazy likes this.
  20. SnowdropLily

SnowdropLily 100% Procrastinator

Reading List:
    Link
    Try accounting