Discussion Why female lead novels rated higher than male lead?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by CovetousWolf, Dec 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CovetousWolf

CovetousWolf Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It is same stupid, repetative harem shit stories but if it is male lead then most people give it 2-3 stars and if it is female lead then it is 4+ stars.
    It is confusing!

2. imacutemotherfucker

imacutemotherfucker Puyo

Reading List:
    Link
    Because we respect wahman

3. slightofhand

slightofhand Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Less people voting ones for stupid reasons. "Is Harem, 1/5" and the like.

BurgerKong and runsing like this.
  4. DocB

DocB "I see you, little mouse! Run along"

Reading List:
    Link
    1 of 3 options
    1- they are better
    2- different reader base with a higher average for voting (normalize every rating by genre and see what you get)
    3- males mc readerw don't even open female mc novels or rate them, so female mc novels are only rated by female mc readers, while male mc novels are rated by both (with female mc readers giving lower rating) - For a example consider NTR

5. Ilisle

Ilisle Lord of the Northern Guards

Reading List:
    Link
    different targeted public

6. YoriMei

YoriMei (ㆁᴗㆁ✿)

Reading List:
    Link
    Female lead novels are mostly read by women, male lead novels are more often read by both.

7. Saitama.sensei

Saitama.sensei [[xiantian lifeform]]

Reading List:
    Link
    One of the many unfair things in this world.
    Live with it :cookie:

Fate81, VeraH and Sabruness like this.
  8. Walter vi Britannia

Walter vi Britannia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Because mostly men are generally reading the ones with male protagonists and women are reading ones with female protagonist. We are already sick of harem bullshit. It's more common than isekai novels (and that's already a troupe that's so common most people are sick of it already). While for women, reverse harem and other stuff are not as common. It's not overdone and filled with cliches so it's still somewhat fresher to them. (So I mean there are less people like me among women who just click away right after they see a harem tag on a novel before even giving the description a shot.)

Silangan and Mahou-nii-sama like this.
  9. tak

tak ignorant but well-meant

Reading List:
    Link
    I thought this is about webnovel voting system, which you know... I voted for female lead novels coz i'm too lazy to scroll down for the male lead novels

10. Aisha Ann

Aisha Ann I LOVE SELFISH VILLAINESS

Reading List:
    Link
    There is lot of one star or three star female mc novel, perhaps you haven’t see it, when ever I trying Look new novel with female mc, I see one rate or 2 rate.

Shio likes this.
  11. pass1478

pass1478 I'm in Despair!

Reading List:
    Link
    Viewership. It's like how BLs have high ratings because only fujoshis read them, and they love it. While those that hate it don't even bother reading it, much less read it.

Also cause since there's less novels with female MC, the cliches and generic tropes aren't really obvious yet.

12. bloodmage

bloodmage Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Because the romance is shit and most of the time the female leads are cardboards
    Furthermore male lead novels have many cliches that people are tired of .and the mc always gets a harem for no fucking reason (looking at you atg ,and the other females leads are always dumped)
    Honestly female novels are better Written
    Have actual character development and do romances better(there are good ml novels as well but they are a dime in a dozen)
    (I actually avoid reading them anymore because of all the garbage cliches they have)

Shio and VeraH like this.
  13. Shibb

Shibb Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Because female lead novels are dramatic enough they can be made into TV series. Male lead novels are so into the power jerking trope that there's not enough drama. Less jerking off to power trips and more into the soap opera, please.

14. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I wonder how true this is. The majority of the TV viewing audience in China are women so it only makes sense that more female-oriented books get adapted. Heck, even male-oriented books will sometimes see their adaptations changed to suit that audience. And so books that have harems will be made into regular romances and so on.

Personally I think that the main reason why is that Romances tend to start strong and only falter later on. A lot of review numbers are given early on, usually within the first 20 or so chapters, so they won't capture any problems that turn up later on. This happens to some of the most popular Romance novels out there, like "Rebirth of the Malicious Empress", "Transmigrator vs. Reincarnator"; I'd have rated them a lot more highly if I'd only read 2/3rds of the way. That, and ratings on NU are trash to begin with so the numbers don't matter.

15. Shibb

Shibb Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If we're specifically talking about novels on NU, then it's likely because of the translators we have. There are only so many translators in the community and good male-oriented novels tend to be long while the female-oriented ones are shorter. I'm talking 100-200 chapters vs 400-500+. Heck, the long female-oriented novels tend to be the equivalent of trashy Amazon romance ebooks.

There's also the whole issue of us all being fan translators. Fan translators will translate what they like. Good novels will be long. Good novels will be harder due to better writing styles and more sophisticated language. They'll be bound up by stricter copyright guardians.

Then, there's a big difference between what the Chinese like vs what the English audience likes. Have you seen the ratings on some of the novels on the Chinese sites? A 4+ star sometimes gets 2 stars over there, and vice versa. It doesn't help that NU doesn't have the high numbers of reviewers like over there.

16. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    To be fair, I don't think highly of any user-generated ratings, whether it's on NU or IMDB or Metacritic. The problem is that different users will evaluate things using wildly differing criteria, and the scores that get reflected aren't the ones that are best thought out but rather by the loudest voices. It's the 1s and 5s that end up mattering rather than any amount of examination and reflection.

NU is worse in this regard than most other review sites because there are a lot of young readers and so a lot of books get top ratings even though they don't deserve anything of the like. Being allowed to rate on the basis of a single chapter (or less!) only makes things worse.

Not only that but good writing is also a lot harder to translate than bad writing. If you were to translate a Yue Guan novel you'd have to do a ton of research to understand all of the historical terms and references, and many of these won't even be written in any English-language books! And because English-language readers don't care about history said translation probably won't be popular enough to secure an audience.

I'd say that the Chinese audiences are going to be better at ratings. What I've found is that, with one major exception, books that are popular on sites like qidian.com may not be perfect but they'll generally have content that's worth reading. On NU though? Not so much as I see tons of mediocre books get recommended and a lot of these get high ratings. I think that the difference is that NU doesn't really have a good perspective on what a good book is because the readership is only exposed to a narrow range of books. At least all the Chinese readers out there read Jin Yong so they have an idea about what good storytelling and characterization is supposed to look like. Having a more mature reader base can make a big difference as well.

17. Diametric

Diametric Waifu Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    because female lead novels are better than male lead ones. case closed. :blobowoevil:

Loni4ever and VeraH like this.
  18. addarash

addarash Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's not rocket science. Different types of novels interest different readers, and those different readers will have different standards for what they like. If you see a novel with say, a rating of 4.5, that means it was the average rating of people on NU who had enough interest to look into it and form an opinion (typically after reading some amount), rather than NU as a whole. Female novels (and BL especially) tend to interest people specifically looking for such novels in the first place, while being ignored by those who dislike them. Most of the more "mainstream" kind of novels have an audience that is broader and thus a larger proportion of people who dislike tropes involved in them would be involved in rating them.

As a rule, ratings of novels between different genres can't be compared (not that the ratings are especially useful in the first place, but you have to at the least normalise for this if you want to compare different books).

19. Asf

Asf 《《The aria of souls》》

Reading List:
    Link
    More readers more haters
    Less readers less haters
    Simple

20. aybabtu

aybabtu Member

Reading List:
    Link
    One korean author suggested, that readers who can tolerate female lead
    are also much more forgiving to other aspects of novel than the readers who can't

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.