[Poll] Are you an ambitious person?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by lychee, Dec 17, 2019.

Tags:
?

What would you do in this situation?

1. I'm male - I would be content just being a servant/maid and keep working as usual

4 vote(s)
    8.2%
  2. I'm male - I want to be promoted so I'll work harder to be promoted as a servant

2 vote(s)
    4.1%
  3. I'm male - I will try my best to impress the Empress with my assigned work

4 vote(s)
    8.2%
  4. I'm male - I will try to extend my sparse conversations with the Empress

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I'm male - I will try to start random conversations with the Empress

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. I'm male - I will try to charm the Empress with my unique perks

3 vote(s)
    6.1%
  7. I'm male - I will directly talk to the Empress and offer them advice

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. I'm male - I will directly talk to the Empress and offer them a proposal

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  9. I'm male - I will try to manipulate the Empress

2 vote(s)
    4.1%
  10. I'm male - I will engage in some kind of plot/scheme

3 vote(s)
    6.1%
  11. I'm male - I would try to run away or escape

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  12. I'm male - I would rather kill myself

5 vote(s)
    10.2%
  13. I'm female - I would be content just being a servant/maid and keep working as usual

9 vote(s)
    18.4%
  14. I'm female - I want to be promoted so I'll work harder to be promoted as a servant

6 vote(s)
    12.2%
  15. I'm female - I will try my best to impress the Emperor with my assigned work

2 vote(s)
    4.1%
  16. I'm female - I will try to extend my sparse conversations with the Emperor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  17. I'm female - I will try to start random conversations with the Emperor

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  18. I'm female - I will try to charm the Emperor with my unique perks

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  19. I'm female - I will directly talk to the Emperor and offer them advice

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  20. I'm female - I will directly talk to the Emperor and offer them a proposal

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  21. I'm female - I will try to manipulate the Emperor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  22. I'm female - I will engage in some kind of plot/scheme

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  23. I'm female - I would try to run away or escape

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  24. I'm female - I would rather kill myself

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  25. I'm unsure

2 vote(s)
    4.1%
  26. I do not wish to respond

4 vote(s)
    8.2%
  1. Lurking

Lurking Do the dead suffer, or is it a sweet release?

Reading List:
    Link
    oh. without entertainment i would prolly start seizure dancing to some made up story in abandoned courtyards like an asylum escapee or maybe be bored and crazy enough to start random convo with the walking nuclear bomb.

prolly out of suicidal impulses. lack of internet n all

seabuckthorn and lychee like this.
  2. Cutter Masterson

Cutter Masterson Well-Known Super-Soldier

Reading List:
    Link
    I would have chosen “none of the above”. Frankly I’m happy we’re I'm at in my life. I’m like many MC who just want to live a peaceful life. Ambition is like money it’s a tool to achieve goals, but often times it doesn’t lead to happiness. At least that’s what I believe in.

lychee likes this.
  3. Phoenix Azrael

Phoenix Azrael Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1. Could you be satisfied being a servant/maid for the rest of your life?
    Sure, I have a hard time being in charge as someone who is a follower and not a leader.
    2. What would you do in this situation?
    Work hard, try not to get decapitated, and if it helps win some affection for myself.
    3. Are you ambitious in any way? Would you try to get closer to the Emperor/Empress to win further favor? Would you try to scheme or plot anything? What if you you hear from a servant/maid that the Emperor/Empress hates ambitious or arrogant self-serving people?
    No ambition, I would try to get closer but never push my luck. I'm too stupid to plot any scheme in the first place.
    4. Would you work hard at your job? Would you try to be the best servant ever? Or are you content being average? Would you ever slack off?
    Best of the average, doing something challenging with all your effort only to find out it turned out average.
    5. Do you think you are a trustworthy or loyal individual? Should the Emperor/Empress trust you to continue promoting you higher ranks in the personal servant ladder? Why or why not?
    I find it hard to move on from things, change it hard so once I'm following I won't stop until I get thrown away.
    6. Would you ever become someone's follower or swear loyalty to them? What are features of somebody that you would be willing to do this for? Is there any reason why you would swear loyalty to someone?
    Sure, capable leader, smart, keeps me fed, doesn't overwork me but still places my talents to best use.

Snowbun, Loni4ever and lychee like this.
  4. false

false Today is always the best day ever~

Reading List:
    Link
    Dedication and servitude is a source of happiness on its own. This is something I concluded after playing crappy mobile games for years where I play my characters to increase imaginary affection points and unlock some voice lines - while watching whales pay big bucks for some JPEG image.
    Basically, if this Empress is someone I like enough to dedicate myself, I might do it without any other motives - not even to see the Empress happy. If the Empress is someone I hate with my entire being, I'd try to get out of the castle no matter what it takes.

Loni4ever and lychee like this.
  5. Lenux

Lenux Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That's a cruel poll, but I will try my best to answer

1: Personally I wouldn't mind, I mean, as long as I live a comfortable life I wouldn't mind be a servant or a "slave"

2: Work my best to become a better servant and live an even more comfortable life

3: Nope, not even close to ambitious, and I would prefer to not take the chances of slipping my tongue and consequently getting my head chopped off, as long as I work hard I would probably live a better life, low risk low reward is my favorite in this scenario

4: Yep, I wouldn't try to be the best one but a well behaved and qualified one

5: I think so, imo it would be safer to go slowly but steady, and the servants ranks would be the best to this, as to the reason that I would be promoted maybe it would be because I would try my best to behave? Or because I would eventually start to make a great job?

6: as I've already stated before, as long as someone give me a comfortable life I would be fine even with a kidnapper, so I don't see any reason to be stubborn

Also, @lychee are you sure you aren't collecting data for a future alien invasion? Maybe you are someone's uncle who betrayed their nephew, brainwashed them and defeated his friend who took 50% of their power and now it's trying to invade Earth? Just confirming tho

6. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    Sure thing, I'm confident in my ability to get other things done and keep myself entertained in any job, and have a fair level of experience bowing my head and following orders.
    In my spare time, I would study the physics of that world, and learn how to read. I know a fair bit of Japanese now, so I'm confident I could learn another symbolic oriented language, especially if I already speak it. I'd also argue that regardless of the differences in physics, my knowledge would still carry over since It entirely revolves around math and logic in an abstract way, and that won't change. However, building some infrastructure for my skills to show would be a bit difficult. My end goal would be to create a computational device of some sort, and see how much I can make since I enjoy programming for the sake of programming. If someone takes note of my work and finds it interesting, I would share my ideas and hope that I don't get killed for it. I'd still aim for it regardless.
    3. Are you ambitious in any way? Would you try to get closer to the Emperor/Empress to win further favor? Would you try to scheme or plot anything? What if you hear from a servant/maid that the Emperor/Empress hates ambitious or arrogant self-serving people?
    I like to do things for myself, and would probably change my actions slightly to try benefiting others where I can, hopefully not getting myself killed.
    4. Would you work hard at your job? Would you try to be the best servant ever? Or are you content being average? Would you ever slack off?
    I'm content with being an average servant. I mostly would end up focusing on my interests.
    5. Do you think you are a trustworthy or loyal individual? Should the Emperor/Empress trust you to continue promoting you higher ranks in the personal servant ladder? Why or why not?
    Definitely a loyal and trustworthy person. I'd be a good person to put in those positions, but I still hope to get as much time to devote to my personal projects as I can.
    6. Would you ever become someone's follower or swear loyalty to them? What are features of somebody that you would be willing to do this for? Is there any reason why you would swear loyalty to someone?
    Sure, I'd probably do so for someone with absolute power over me. I also follow those who are competent and good people. I probably would get executed in this situation since I wouldn't ever like a person who acts like a CN MC.

7. Shio

Shio Moderator Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I doubt the emperor do play part in maid promotion. Like most business owner, they have managers that manage their business for them.

No point in getting the emperor's favour, it's better to lick the manager's butt instead

8. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Regardless of what you do. You are going to die.

Making friends with the Emperor makes you an enemy of one of his consorts or political rivals and you could be killed to send a message.
    If you survive that, the next ruler might kill you for being a friend of the previous ruler and having too much power.

For me, I would fake my death and escape after stealing some treasures

9. arashi-chan12

arashi-chan12 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No... I'm one of the laziest people I know lol. But I'm sure I can get used to it at least. But if I could escape the palace somehow (preferably legally) I would try to.

Die

But seriously, what am I supposed to do? Lol. I'll just keep my head down and try to blend in with the scenery. Even if the Emperor greets me I wouldn't dare to get a big head, I actually might try to find a way to escape the palace instead... Oooh, just imagining it is scary. Being killed by jealous wives just cuz the hubby said hello... Idk why the Emperor is promoting me but I'd continue acting the same as before.

3. Are you ambitious in any way? Would you try to get closer to the Emperor/Empress to win further favor? Would you try to scheme or plot anything? What if you you hear from a servant/maid that the Emperor/Empress hates ambitious or arrogant self-serving people?
    I'm not an ambitious person. I'd be fine as long as I could keep my life ;-;

I wouldn't try to get closer to the Emperor, that's crazy. First off, he has a ton of crazy wives who could kill me secretly before the day was over. Secondly, he is supposed to be a genius with lots of cheats, he should know I am super useless lol. And since he does, that brings up the question of WHY he is trying to get close to me. I can't trust anyone in this darn palace :sweating_profusely:

I wouldn't scheme or plot anything, I'd probably become someone's fall guy instead T_T

And if my scary boss hates it then heck no am I going to do it, I care about my continued existence... The maid/servant's intentions could be a little suspicious but it's better to be safe than sorry, ya?

I wouldn't be the best servant ever. I will just try and keep my head down and survive.

I think I MIGHT be trustworthy, and I try to be loyal to my close ones but I am apathetic towards things outside of my little bubble. I wouldn't be a good retainer for the Emperor because I have no interest in politics outside of literature lol

No they shouldn't keep promoting me. I have no talent in leadership and I hate it when people force expectations on me so I can spy that trainwreck from a thousand miles away OTL

If I ever follow anyone it's either because I genuinely like them, or I was somehow duped into it. OTL I'm quite a pushover if I say so myself. But I would prefer not to follow anyone, I like being impartial. I've read enough ancient china rebirth stories that I know the imperial harem is not fun, I wouldn't survive a second if I was pitted against those people TuT

lychee and Loni4ever like this.
  10. orematcha

orematcha Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think no, because at some point I might be fed up with the life inside the palace and my job, if I have to do that till I die...

I would try to do my job as best as I can, learn to read, study and make a good connection with people I'm working with..

Getting the Emperor's attention sounds like a dangerous quest. He looks like a good strict ruler.. would choose not to do that, even though I want a better life myself.

I would for getting promoted. Bigger chance I would've more privilege to do what I want. In that case, I'm not content for being average.

I'm loyal only if the other party isn't a bad guy and treat me well. I'm not that ambitious to join any scheme against royalty, since the risk of getting caught is bigger imo. At least I want a peaceful death...

I would if the person could move me and have a good leadership. Naturally, I like taking care of others and serving someone that I admire is more than enough. But the idea of swearing my loyalty to someone sounds weird.. >_>

lychee, Loni4ever and Cascadian Rex like this.
  11. Loni4ever

Loni4ever The Fluffy White Wolf

Reading List:
    Link
    That's very questionable... however, I'm also generally not super motivated so I might just find a way to be somewhat ok with my situation. At least I'll survive... it's kinda a shitty life though :blobneutral: the way you perceive a situation is in some ways much more important than the actual facts about said situation. Just mentally/emotionally manipulate yourself and you might just be fine :blobjoy:

Probably develop somewhat serious mental/emotional problems lmao xD. I really value freedom a lot, so this situation is on some ways particularly shitty for me. Survival's probably more important to me than Freedom though, and I'm also not too intent on interacting intimately with someone who might kill me if I just say one wrong word. I'm not sure though... maybe I'd find my life so undesirable to live that I'll just give seducing the Emperor a try, in case they show clear signs of interest first.

Not sure. The emperor would have to show interest in a clear and unmistakable way first cause .. well, I don't wanna die xD. I probably wouldn't try to scheme or plot anything cause I think I'd suck at it... probably amongst other reasons cause I'm not super interested in that kinda thing.
    If I heard that, I'd assume the emperor promoted me cause I just did my job without unnecessarily trying to get closer to him. So I'll just continue doing that. Once again, don't wanna die. And did I mention I don't wanna die? :blobwoah::blobjoy:

I guess I'd work normally. Not sure you'd even get promoted for being a hardworking little servant... maybe they'll just give you a pat on the shoulder and that's it xD. Probably wouldn't try to be the best servant ever cause although survival does motivate me, anything further needs motivation through me assigning value to the activity... and servant work doesn't seem super meaningful to me. I'd probably be content being average, or I'd manipulate myself into it cause that's the way my brain works xD (well hopefully. Otherwise I'd just have a miserable life XD). I'd slack off if there aren't noteworthy negative consequences to it. If there are though, I'll avoid trouble and just do my job.

I'd say somewhat trustworthy and loyal. I think they could trust me. As long as they don't make unnecessary trouble for me and generally act in a way that's within reasonable bounds for me, I'd act loyally. The latter meaning if they loved torturing people and did that to innocent people a lot, I might betray them if I get the opportunity. Killing lots for a good reason (like the random temper killings might have had a good reason in a way) is probably ok though. Ending their life isn't the worst thing you can do to a person, and it seems kinda normal looking at the position they have. And it's possible that if someone else became Emperor, they'd behave much worse. So yeah, as long as they're not maliciously causing me or a lot of others trouble/pain, I'd stay loyal to them. I remember goodwill and don't easily backstab someone, even if it's just sth like gossiping behind their back. I normally like to stay neutral but once a side is chosen, I'd stay with it unless there's a significant ethical reason not to.

In my current situation that's very unlikely but e.g. in the situation you just described, maybe. I don't have much against it in principle. I like freedom so in my situation, that'd be a total loss of freedom but in this case, it's might not be if I swear loyalty to someone who can be my guardian and help me do stuff. I'd only swear loyalty to someone I really respect and like as a person; someone who treats people in a way that's on average at least neutral or maybe even benefiting them. I'd have to really, like really be fond of them though. Becoming someone's follower or swearing loyalty to them sounds like you're possibly dedicating you're entire life to them. Is there even a way to be more attached than that? xD I usually don't attach myself to people very easily, that's why the threshold of required positive opinion of them is so high. On the other hand though, it makes life easier if you struggle to find meaning in life. You just attach yourself to someone who will provide the meaning for you and you'll never have to do any figuring out life's meaning for yourself xD. I think that might be the case if I lived in that world, so higher chances there, but not here.

lychee likes this.
  12. Averroes93

Averroes93 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sad life there. Not be able to read.
    1. No. I might die anytime.
    2. Nothing. Cannot escape, cannot read, hellish days ahead. I'll just try to keep my head I guess.
    3. Not sure.
    4. I'll work hard. But I don't think I'll be the best servant.
    5. As long as I can keep my head and have food on table. I'll be as loyal as I can be.
    6. Not sure. If they teach me to read and let me read in my free time. Sure I guess. Depends on the benefits that I get if I followed them.

lychee likes this.
  13. Lazriser

Lazriser Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I have a god complex. This pretty much answers how ambitious I am, but I'm still likely the most laziest human in this forum.

14. SilverCrow63

SilverCrow63 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Did I catch the eye of a consort in a bad way? I got sent from the easy job of sweeping to the behind the scenes laborious job of cleaning laundry.

If I get promoted I will be put into more danger because I would have a higher chance of catching the emperor's eye. If I don't get promoted I'm still stuck in the palace. The harem has nothing but poisonous flowers.

..... @lychee Is there a cheat code for this?

Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
    lychee likes this.
  15. lychee

lychee [- slightly morbid fruit -] ❀[ 恋爱? ]❀

Reading List:
    Link
    Part 2~! @girisuherman @Lurking @Land of The Fallen @Little Potato @tak @polarbot @lnv @Amaruna Myu @Rhydec @lichdeath @Cutter Masterson @Phoenix Azrael @false @Lenux @UnGrave @Shio @Wujigege @arashi-chan12 @orematcha @Loni4ever @Averroes93 @Zheya

Six more months pass and you continue to try being inconspicuous as possible. You become disliked by the other ladies/men of the harem, since your social skills (e.g. gossip ability) are not very good, and many people are unhappy with the fact you ended up close to the Emperor/Empress so quickly. In fact, many people are jealous and envious, so you are bullied in subtle ways.

For example, your clothes and belongings disappear without warning. You find random bugs in your food. People snicker at you when you pass by them in the hallway. A room that you just cleaned immediately becomes dirty again.

You can’t name anyone specific who is doing it, because you’re almost positive that it is 90% of everyone.

You really regret getting promoted to serve the Emperor/Empress. You attempted to submit a transfer application to work somewhere else, but it was denied in less than a few hours.

+ + +

To make things even worse, you received another promotion notice.

This time, you were promoted to be a personal cleaner for the Emperor/Empresses bedroom. This means that you make the Emperor/Empress’s bed every morning and you tidy up the room every day.

It’s actually a very scary promotion, because you now technically have access to the sensitive documents in the Emperor/Empress’s room. Since you are always nearby, you can overhear the conversations that happen in the Emperor/Empress’s room.

Since you’re not an idiot, you know that this promotion paints a huge target on your back. Not only do the harem ladies/men hate you, but now external and political enemies will probably target you.

You tried really really hard to refuse the promotion but you are rejected every time. You are explicitly told that “you cannot refuse this promotion.”

The only difference between now and before is that sometimes the Emperor/Empress says to you: “Good work.

You still do not have conversations with the Emperor/Empress, and they still appear to be 99% disinterested in you.

However, six months of working beside the Emperor/Empress has gotten you a decent grasp of their personality. They hate “noisy” or “talkative” or “troublesome” or “ambitious” people, and you suspect you were promoted because you never talk and don’t have friends, you always do your work while staying out of the Emperor/Empress’s way, and you never try to ask for favors.

1. What do you do in this position?

2. Is there anything you can do about the bullying?

3. You overhear some really dangerous information in the bedroom about X plotting to kill Y (who is entirely innocent) to kill Z. While walking around the imperial estate, you run into Person Y. Person Y says good evening. What is your reaction?

4. A servant stops you in the laundry room and hands you a letter. There’s *poof* of some magic being activated and you hear the letter being telepathically read to you (since you can’t read). The letter tells you that they’re (unspecified individual) aware of your financial situation and they can help you escape to another country to start a new life. All you have to do is carry a small bag from point A to point B. It’s a pretty mild request, and you think there’s a 90% chance you can get away with it. What do you do?

5. You were walking to the kitchen after midnight one evening, and you overhear somebody about planning to poison the Emperor/Empress’s cousin. You know that the cousin is a beloved family member of your employer. Do you say anything to anybody?

Snowbun likes this.
  16. tak

tak ignorant but well-meant

Reading List:
    Link
    FML i'll die

Loni4ever likes this.
  17. Snowbun

Snowbun

Reading List:
    Link
    I absolutely love this food centric answer +100000

Lurking, Loni4ever and lychee like this.
  18. Lazriser

Lazriser Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1. Continuing do my job while maintaining my guard. Remain silent and avoid currying favors in the presence of the emperor/empress.
    2. Gain favors with those close to the emperor/empress while being subtle about it. Do so to those I believe are aren't against me or the emperor/empress. It can be likely fixed with the help of a strong backer with #4 answer.
    3. Slight awkwardness but remain indifferent outwardly, because I'm no exception currently as I'm harassed and possibly targeted for accusation, then assassination or execution.
    4. Take the bag without opening the contents and give it to the emperor/empress royal adviser and the emperor/empress themselves. To avoid suspicions from either the emperor/empress or the royal adviser. You never know it's a test, a trap, or a hidden plot.
    5. Say nothing but secretly take note of the voice. Do nothing but remember my steps from the night until they the target dies.
    I will be a the royal cleaner who is also keeping information about most of the plots inside the royal palace. In times of trouble, I will use those information to my advantage to secretly foil my harassers. In times beyond my capabilities, I will keep my mouth shut. I believe the emperor/empress royal and shadow guards know I'm innocent. The emperor/empress have no reason to execute me as a scapegoat, because I remain the royal cleaner throughout my daily routine.

lychee likes this.
  19. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Probably not :hmm:

Work till an opportunity to escape comes :hmm:

I say first, must run away then for the sake of the drama maybe plan for a revolution :blobunsure:

Work normally, the things that happens in those palace dramas are nuts :sweating_profusely: I rather not attrat attention and silently run away :blob_thor:
    Yes they should trust me and hand me the throne :blobamused:

Too much drama and complicated things in that sort of world, I watched enough drama to know that the end won't be anything as I like that is why rather then following someone and swear loyality to anyone there, I would rather shape that world to be as I like, not like those drama and romance palace movies, I will make that world fall to ruin and then like an evil villain I will stand on the ruins and laugh like a maniac :blobowoevil_horns:

lychee likes this.
  20. Amaruna Myu

Amaruna Myu ugly squid dokja (●´∀`●)

Reading List:
    Link
    1. What do you do in this position?
    continue doing work that preserves my life.
    2. Is there anything you can do about the bullying?
    prank the people that I dislike, talk snarky towards them, eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth, place pins under their sheets, mud in their coffee, etc
    3. You overhear some really dangerous information in the bedroom about X plotting to kill Y (who is entirely innocent) to kill Z. While walking around the imperial estate, you run into Person Y. Person Y says good evening. What is your reaction?
    good bye-vening
    4. A servant stops you in the laundry room and hands you a letter. There’s *poof* of some magic being activated and you hear the letter being telepathically read to you (since you can’t read). The letter tells you that they’re (unspecified individual) aware of your financial situation and they can help you escape to another country to start a new life. All you have to do is carry a small bag from point A to point B. It’s a pretty mild request, and you think there’s a 90% chance you can get away with it. What do you do?
    if I've heard things I'm not supposed to hear, I'd stay obedient and not risk any dangers.
    5. You were walking to the kitchen after midnight one evening, and you overhear somebody about planning to poison the Emperor/Empress’s cousin. You know that the cousin is a beloved family member of your employer. Do you say anything to anybody?
    Send an anonymous note to the emperor so I don't get implicated

lychee likes this.