Question What's the lowest rating for a novel you'll read?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Ophious, Oct 22, 2019.

?

What's the lowest rating for a novel you'll read?

1. 1 Star

2. 2 Star

3. 3 Star

4. 4 Star

5. 5 Star

6. Don't care about Ratings

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MasterCuddler

MasterCuddler Handsome Chicken

Reading List:
    Link
    I usually tell by the summary, title,and cover. After awhile you can tell if it’s trash, generic, or good base off that alone

2. kingkong53

kingkong53 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Like a lot of people have said I look at the story summary if it interest me I read about 5-10 chapters to decide whether I like it or not,I only look at reviews when im im split 50/50 on the summary or the story after reading it

3. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Novel ratings are nonsense to begin with so why should they play a part in deciding whether to read a book or not? All a numeric rating tells us is how good the reviewer thinks it is. Written reviews are better, but only because they tell us a lot more information. I'll check the latter from time to time, but usually only to find out what the story is about and whether it suffers from any bad pitfalls. Even then I think that a lot of the books that get gushing praise are nowhere as good as the reviewer tries to make them out to be. In particular books like "the Great Tang Idyll" and "the Grandmaster Strategist". These get good reviews because they cover subjects that rarely get translated, but they're not particularly good if you have access to better stuff.

4. TiggerBane

TiggerBane Always asleep yep yep yep| Canidae lover

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't have a lowest but I do have a highest. I won't read anything with a 5 star rating and more then 50 ratings!

kingkong53 likes this.
  5. Megatron

Megatron Decepticon

Reading List:
    Link
    Lowest i've read was Zhan Long at 3 lmao. I enjoyed it surprisingly

6. AMissingLinguist

AMissingLinguist [Not Here][Blank Sect][Nuffian #N]

Reading List:
    Link
    Lowest for me is 4.5, rounded to 5. I haven't been reading a lot of translated novels, but I am always thinking about trying to get back to reading some.

7. RAGA

RAGA Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Generally, I'll only go for as low as 4-stars because I no longer have the time to find "hidden gems" stories like I used to. But I also look at the plot and read reviews before I completely decide to not read something, especially for isekai-ish (my Achille's heel) and bl genres.

8. TheJudge

TheJudge Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    3/5 if the scoring is legit, however I have found that NU rating is not accurate as there is a lot of biased reviews/paid. Another issue is that not all readers here have English as their main language so their understanding of the novel may not be accurate.

9. tides

tides Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    rating score on nu means nothing sadly

i will however, read reviews and spoiler and decide if i want to read or not

10. LittleBigSnowFlower

LittleBigSnowFlower 悪くないよねぇ 〜

Reading List:
    Link
    When i read a novel, i first look at illustration first, some tend to make the cover so beautiful then i would get interested on it, after that i'll look at number of current chapters COO and translated, if it's ongoing/completed then pass the next step if dropped or indefinite hiatus then run away ~
    After that is the description if it piques my interest then i'll give it a go... Then read the first chapter to finallize if i will ever read it afterwards (i put 'Waiting','Waiting to be completed' reading list for these options).

Ratings are can be biased sometimes so if you yourself got your interest piqued then don't care about the ratings and read it yourself... Seeing is believing they say ~
    :cookie::cookie::cookie:

11. joey183

joey183 The Mysterious Entity

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah me too. The rating of the book doesn't really matters a lot to me because it's not rightfully represented most of the time. The book can be 3-4 star up but because review is bad, I will not read the novel.
    I look at the tag, synopsis and the written review to help me see if I want to start reading.

12. Nisaea

Nisaea Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    3.6~3.7 depending on the reviews. If the reviewer gives a low rating without a reasonable explanation, I'll just ignore that review.

13. Bachingchung

Bachingchung Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    When I just started reading Eastern WN and LNs, I never really checked on NU so I just read as they go. I already checked and they mostly float around 2-3 ☆.

14. tranquilmelodies

tranquilmelodies Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If it's in the 4+ range then I assume it's garnered an interest in enough people to be at least decent trash. The lowest I would go would likely be in the 3.0 range.

15. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    It is completely pointless to have a lowest rating that you read if you don't also consider the amount of raters as well, a 2* rating for example mean absolutely nothing if there is only like 10 people that has rated the story.
    Even for stories that have thousands of ratings I don't really trust pure numbers anyway, I'll rather read written reviews and see if there is any red flags in terms of actual content.

16. Home.b.ros

Home.b.ros Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Usually it's 4.0, but if the synopsis is interesting i usually give 3.0 - 3.5 a shot.

17. eseul

eseul [ blank ] |_・)

Reading List:
    Link
    when i see a lot of one stars i just don’t even try lol. that’s what i look for. when there are like... 100+ one stars

18. Alice In Novelland

Alice In Novelland Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    2.0, but only if the story looks really good.

19. Zolen_

Zolen_ New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    3, I actually tend to stick around that number, anything higher thens to be meh, often a over hyped story that is like 30 chapters of exposition for every one chapter of plot progression.

20. Ddraig

Ddraig Frostfire Dragon|Retired lurker|FFF|Loved by RNG

Reading List:
    Link
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.