Discussion Why is it always the same description for ML in chinese novels?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Mount Tai Unleashed, Dec 13, 2019.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BurgerKong

BurgerKong Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    They have different ideas of what men and women should be than the west. They highly value stoic, calculating men who always get what they want because--not to sound racist--they place success above morals as long as you can keep your face up; they would consider Nestle to be ingenious businessmen.

2. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    A really good writer can make great stories out of any archetype and any kind of character. The problem is that these characters tend to be written by people who don't have very good writing instincts so they don't have a good feel on what makes and breaks a character and their storied end up suffering. Often this isn't even about the writer being bad; a lot of these books actually start off strong with a lot of decent characterization and plots. The problem is that they then insert the icecube love interest and end up ruining the dynamic that had been built up.

Nah, this is popular in Western Romance novels as well. It has nothing to do with East vs. West.

3. Fuyuneko

Fuyuneko winter cat

Reading List:
    Link
    Sometimes I wonder if these authors have actually been in a relationship before or if their knowledge is based solely on other romance novels

Lurking and Nancy2303 like this.
  4. ToastedRossi

Reading List:
    Link
    It's supposed to be a fantasy so I don't think that it'd make much of a difference. I know that in the West, the majority of women reading Romance novels are older, and characters like this and rape fantasies are extremely popular. Hell, stuff like 50 Shades of Grey combines both of these and its primary readership were women over 40.

Fuyuneko likes this.
  5. Fluffy Jellyfish

Fluffy Jellyfish 『Number 1 Lolicon under Heaven』

Reading List:
    Link
    This is the fucking reason why I can't fuckin enjoy female MC

It is already enough exposure to cold character in male MC, why tf I still need to expose myself to another cold character

Not to mention that they are overly protective, jealous, abusive and borderline yandere

Heck ! even cold female is still hundred times more enjoyable than them

6. Datdobazan

Datdobazan New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i don't like chinese :D

7. Shio

Shio Moderator Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, the female lead in chinese novel aren't better either.
    With female novel it's either the cold icy or playboy teasing type. With male novel it's cool beauty or tsundere type

Lurking and Nancy2303 like this.
  8. ToastedRossi

Reading List:
    Link
    Two caveats: the first is that the lack of variation wouldn't really be a problem if the character was well written so that he's interesting to read. The second is that the latter tends to have a lot more variability within their given archetypes than you'd see with the male love interest syndrome. At the very least they won't diminish the protagonist and take over the story.

From my personal experience I'd say that you're outright wrong and that female love interests fall into a ton of different archetypes. Hell, that's pretty much the main reason that harem novels even exist: so that a large number of different types of female characters can serve as the love interest.

Lurking likes this.
  9. novaes

novaes Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    To be lenient, I'd say it's because it can be fun to indulge in fantasy, even if you aren't interested in it in real life;
    But, to be honest it's probably because it stimulates anger/love hormones with a big dose of creative bankruptcy. Typical copycat syndrome, just copy what's popular and people will read it because they are used to it. I think it hijacks the same mental tricks the music industry use where the same song is blasted over and over again all over the place, eventually you get used to it and the brain starts to like it because it's familiar. Most of this stuff is total garbage, but it's a comfortable, predictable pile of garbage. You can predict how it tastes with every rotten bite.

Even in the most awful stories, if I get to the point where I'm obsessing over "if that were me I'd do this and that! These stupid characters should blah blah blah" I've already been engaged into the story, and it's too late for me, I'm already a fool and a hypocrite. I really don't think there's some cultural conspiracy at fault that is brainwashing us, I think humans are more awful than we admit. And we like it

Lurking and Fuyuneko like this.
  10. Solus

Solus 自分のことお嫌いです

Reading List:
    Link
    Because they don't exist in reality so authors wrote down their ideal. It's not their fault that everyone's ideal is tall, mysterious and handsome. My MLs will be like that too if I can write.

11. LittleBigSnowFlower

LittleBigSnowFlower 悪くないよねぇ 〜

Reading List:
    Link
    Well if there are "wish fulfilling" part on isekai tropes, there's the "i'm too special i have the male god swoon and only look for me" for females ~

CEO types that overbearing but only looks at our dear FMC to Yanderes that can't live without FMC and maybe the Mature loving type who is already soaked in vinegar flavoring since time immemorial with how the FMC is "too highspec" to obtain...

Everyone has their fantasies and this is quite prevalent on CH romance novels

12. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    Isn't it obvious? Cause what do most fear in a relationship? Cheating. If they are cold and indifferent, they won't care about other women other than the MC. That is the whole point, to have the perfect male who cares about no one other than the MC.

So why not just go for ones without romance?

Lurking likes this.
  13. Lurking

Lurking Do the dead suffer, or is it a sweet release?

Reading List:
    Link
    It's just you...

the writers are men, primarily. and even if there was a women writer there would be a male editor. this might need to be rephrased...

is there a tv trope page?

ah, good luck. and your right about women not wanting that in reality...

im almost tempted but i just dont usually read romance tbh so pass.

yeah, but in the west they arent usually abusive? um. dont quote me i dont read romance frequently

...as part of everyone I would like to state my ideal is not tall mysterious and handsome. that might be your ideal tho :cookie:

14. joey183

joey183 The Mysterious Entity

Reading List:
    Link
    Now that you mentioned it, i recalled seeing those descriptions a lot in wattpad on those western genre romance books a lot back in those days before CNs popup. The ML is it is always tall, dark hair and handsome which is described as sexy and husky look to the FL.

Yeah. Actually, I don't mind them cold and indifferent, but why make them extremely possessive that they become stalker-like and borderline yandere when they start showing interest to FL especially in bed scenes?

The more the ML likes FL, the more ML abuse the FL in bed scenes that FL end up getting sore all over after the act. Then at first the FL is described to be becoming almost phobia to making love because of this (FL is almost all the time virgin so its first time) and would try to avoid any skin touch with the ML after that which honestly makes sense to me. I mean after such painful 'love making', you wouldn't want to go through it again, right?

But ML would take it as they are not 'macho' enough or not showing enough 'love' and would become even more aggressive in bed scenes after each rejection, making poor FL suffer even more. But then this time, somehow FL is okay with it and have hearts all over ML and I would be like WTF!! :blob_catflip:

This makes me feel like the romance between ML and FL are just based on stockholm syndrome effect and not real love. :blobcry:

Lurking likes this.
  15. Lurking

Lurking Do the dead suffer, or is it a sweet release?

Reading List:
    Link
    yuuup. so wierd.
    those exact steoreotypes in romance drove me away from that genre.

i experienced it in reading twilight. read twilight expecting fantasy adventure of vampires and werewolves. got... stephanie meyers stockholm fetish

Wujigege likes this.
  16. Gin_Hindew

Gin_Hindew Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Wujigege and Lurking like this.
  17. ToastedRossi

Reading List:
    Link
    Abusive romances don't seem particularly unusual in the English-language Romance novels.

I think this is supposed to cater to the fantasy of playing during sex. The woman is supposed to be demure so the man has to make all the aggressive moves. Can't say that I really understand why this is so popular though. Honestly, the best scenes of this nature that I've come across aren't even written by women.

Lurking likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.