[Poll] How do you negate the effects of a love potion?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by lychee, Dec 19, 2019.

Tags:
?

How long does it take for you to get over your romantic feelings for someone?

1. I'm male - I would never get over my old feelings

2 vote(s)
    3.8%
  2. I'm male - It takes me decades to get over my old feelings

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I'm male - It takes me years to get over my old feelings

4 vote(s)
    7.5%
  4. I'm male - It takes me months to get over my old feelings

3 vote(s)
    5.7%
  5. I'm male - It takes me weeks to get over my old feelings

3 vote(s)
    5.7%
  6. I'm male - It takes me days to get over my old feelings

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  7. I'm male - I would get over my feelings within a day

5 vote(s)
    9.4%
  8. I'm male - I have no idea

14 vote(s)
    26.4%
  9. I'm female - I would never get over my old feelings

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. I'm female - It takes me decades to get over my old feelings

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. I'm female - It takes me years to get over my old feelings

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  12. I'm female - It takes me months to get over my old feelings

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. I'm female - It takes me weeks to get over my old feelings

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. I'm female - It takes me days to get over my old feelings

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. I'm female - I would get over my feelings within a day

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  16. I'm female - I have no idea

13 vote(s)
    24.5%
  17. I would never love anybody

5 vote(s)
    9.4%
  18. I do not wish to respond

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  1. lychee

lychee [- slightly morbid fruit -] ❀[ 恋爱? ]❀

Reading List:
    Link
    This is just a conceptual poll to get a sense of people's thoughts on this subject.

You are the son/daughter of a middle-ranked aristocrat and you are approaching marriageable age. Your parents are quite wealthy, have nice assets (estate/business), and a coveted title bestowed by the King. Consequently, there are many people who are interested in seeking your hand in marriage.

Your parents are fairly soft-hearted individuals are they encourage you to marry whoever you love.

Consequently, you've spent a good amount of time attending marriage interviews (which are kind of like blind dates with aristocrats who sent a letter saying they wanted to marry). So far, you've attended around marriage interviews with 20 different people ⁠— and you are running out of time since in this culture your gender is effectively unable to marry after age XXXX (too old to marry).

Although your parents wish for you to marry someone who you love... If you're unable to find someone, they will force you to marry one of the 20 candidates because having children is essential to continuing the prestigious family bloodline.

Unfortunately, none of the 20 candidates so far really caught your eye. They aren't bad ⁠— and you wouldn't mind getting together with them ⁠— but you didn't really feel like you fell in love with any. A lot of them seemed to have cookie-cutter personalities along the stereotypical gender ideals of your culture. From an economic, social, and practical perspective, the 20 candidates are roughly interchangeable and equivalent; each one would advance your family business in some area, but not in a drastic way that would compel you to pick one over another.

+ + +

One day, you attend your 21st marriage interview, and you unexpectedly meet someone who completely blows your heart away. You instantly feel a connection with this person and you like them a lot, almost immediately. You're able to talk with them nonstop and you discover that you share a lot of interests. Additionally, they feel unique and aren't cookie-cutter like the other marriage candidates.

Within a few hours, you immediately know this person is the one that you want to marry.

However, just to be sure, you continue the marriage interview for three more months and go on 12-15 more dates with them. During this time together, you feelings for this person only grow stronger and you like them even more than you did in the beginning. You can list at least 20 reasons why you like them, and you can't stop thinking about them. You are sure that you are totally in love.

You and your partner decide to get engaged.

+ + +

However, one day, you are visiting your fiance(e)'s family home. Your fiance(e) is eager to give you a tour of their home, and both of you have fun exploring their family mansion.

Both of you stumble into a locked office (your fiance(e) mischievously decided to pick the lock), and surprisingly it turns out to be a secret laboratory.

There are many bottles of potions inside this secret laboratory, and a notebook is open on the desk. The two of you read the notebook and discover that the current project is titled: "SYNTHESIS OF LOVE POTION."

You flip through the notebook and you're shocked when you see your name.

There are observations of your behavior after being fed the love potion... and the records date back to as early as your first marriage interview with your fiance(e). The notebook describes in detail about how your fiance(e)'s household planted a servant (spy) in your household, and that servant (spy) managed to apply the love potion to your toothbrush so you were inadvertently feeding yourself a love potion twice a day morning and night.

Apparently, the love potion was extremely successful, and you promptly fell in love with your fiance(e).

The notebook is signed by your fiance's mom.

Your fiance(e) is as horrified as you are to read this. They were completely unaware that this was happening, and they are shocked that their parents would do such a thing.

...Basically, you've been drugged with a love potion, and this is why you love your fiance(e)???

+ + +

The effects of the love potion are semi-permanent. There is no antidote, there is an entire chapter dedicated to why an antidote is theoretically impossible under the Laws of Alchemy. It is unclear if the effects will last forever, but the notebook states that subjects were monitored up to 15 years and the feelings in the tested subjects were retained, even when the subjects were aware of the fact that they took a potion.

This is problematic because you cannot wait 15 years for the effects of this love potion to wear off. 15 years from now, you will be far beyond the marriage age. You will have to choose someone to marry while under the influence of this potion.

Your choice is to either marry your fiance(e) as planned, or to marry someone else while still retaining feelings for your current fiance(e).

1. What will you do?

2. Suppose you decided to temporarily break up with your fiance(e), and you try to attend another marriage interview. However, the entire time you cannot stop thinking about your former fiance(e). Could you date or marry someone else despite still having feelings for your former fiance(e)?

3. What would you do if you were in the fiance(e)'s position?

4. Suppose that you get dumped by a significant other that you loved a lot. How long does it take for you to get over your feelings?

5. Do you have any strategies to make yourself stop liking someone? How would you attempt to negate the love potion?

Lurking, NamGi, false and 1 other person like this.
  2. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Is it me or did this scenario happen before? :hmm:

GDLiZy, Arash1, Gin_Hindew and 2 others like this.
  3. TypeFantasyHeart

TypeFantasyHeart Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well... get over romantic feelings DEPENDS a lot on the situation... if i find she cheats on me, its over that instant, if she does something that realllyyyyy bothers me... some time... if she does something that on my opinion is unforgivable, then it can be over in less than a day...
    But given the situation... its quite hard to say, both of them are innocent... The question would be if the potion effects magnifies something that its already there or makes something out of nothing... If its the first... well things can work out, if its the latter where if feed that potion you can love a frog... then shit will happen

4. arashi-chan12

arashi-chan12 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1. What will you do?
    Marry my fiance obviously. Our love may have initially been because of the potion but we have things in common and I've gotten to know him. Plus he genuinely(?) seems to like me as well and is not just aiming for my family. Plus with this bit, I have leverage just in case anything bad happens hehehe. Also, if I can marry in I have a way of infiltrating the laboratory affairs and truly figure out if there isn't a way to reverse it, or if the effects really originate from nothing or if there has to be a smidgen of interest there first etc. It's in my best interest to research/understand the love potion just in case there are any serious draw backs (like suddenly hating him or death or smth).

2. Suppose you decided to temporarily break up with your fiance(e), and you try to attend another marriage interview. However, the entire time you cannot stop thinking about your former fiance(e). Could you date or marry someone else despite still having feelings for your former fiance(e)?
    No? I wouldn't break up, but if HE was the one breaking up with me then... What the hell! Your mom put me up to this, take responsibility! Lol

If I were to date/marry another man I can guess I'd regret it the rest of my life.

Confront my mom, first. Then try to research a cure and assure my fiance that my feelings are true and that I'd respect the decisions they make.

4. Suppose that you get dumped by a significant other that you loved a lot. How long does it take for you to get over your feelings?
    Forever. I've come to realize over the years that I'm the type that takes everything at face value. If someone badmouths me I take it very personally and can brood over it for years and years. Even moreso if it's someone I really cared about.

5. Do you have any strategies to make yourself stop liking someone? How would you attempt to negate the love potion?
    I don't have any strategies since I've never been put in a position where I absolutely have to hate someone? But I imagine, they just have to do one thing that really goes against my internal beliefs and it'll all go downhill from there.

To negate the potion, research research research! How is the potion made? How does it influence the mind? Since it was used on my toothbrush, is there a time delay? Or are there requirements? Do I already need to be attracted and it just amplifies the effects? Are the effects really long lasting or did the test subjects just really fall in love with the others over time?

There's a lot of questions to be answered, I'd like to take my time solving them. I do kinda mind that I was mentally influenced to like him better, but honestly don't feel like it's that big of a deal. If he was a real asshat or if we were on extremely bad terms beforehand then I wouldn't be able to accept it, but he is a stranger that I got to know and found I got along with. He'd eventually have to marry someone he might not love too, so it just happens our interests line up. He's stuck with me now, whether he likes it or not hehe :blobowoevil_horns:

dio, false, lychee and 1 other person like this.
  5. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    No wonder this scenario seemed familiar especially that part about being tricked to drink a love potion
    https://forum.novelupdates.com/threads/poll-youve-been-fed-a-love-potion.95511/
    Well, anyway

1. What will you do?
    No idea, I will be probably a bit shocked to react? :blobunsure:

No, probably not :hmm:

I... don't know :hmm:

I don't know, depends on how potent that love potion was, I guess :blobunsure:
    Drink a hate potion :blobpeek:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2019
    MelancholyCorner, lychee and Zomula like this.
  6. Olives

Olives [Former] Professional Basement Dweller

Reading List:
    Link
    You brush twice a day? :blobpopcorn_cool:

Deleted member 125960 likes this.
  7. Chiiiiiiiii

Chiiiiiiiii >Daoist Thirteen Bears< >Hero Astral Saber<

Reading List:
    Link
    ......... hum............. why the soundtrack on my mind suddenly changed to sofrência (sad songs about relationships/breakups)?

I guess, I would still marry my fiance? But I would want him to put his mother on a spot and also tell my parents about that......

Deleted member 125960 likes this.
  8. CrimsonPhoenix

CrimsonPhoenix Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I answered that I'm male and that I have no idea because to me the time needed to get over romantic feelings with someone is dependent on that person. Personally, for me, it has varied from weeks to years but not to the point where I'll never get over them.

1. What will you do?

I would probably still marry that person even with the effects of the love potion because although it's artificial I still have feelings for them and I do not have any other options that could make me happy in the end. However, I would make sure to inform my family and discuss appropriate countermeasures with my fiancee to prevent problems further down the road like getting a prenuptial agreement.

I could probably still date but definitely not marry someone in that condition. Although I could date, I doubt it would last longer than a few weeks/months since I wouldn't be committed to the relationship as I'm still thinking of the fiancee.

If I were in that position, I would try to take some form of responsibility for it by apologizing, confronting my mother, and trying to reach an agreement that would be best for my partner no matter what they wish for.

It really depends on the person but probably between a few weeks and a few years depending on the depth of my feelings and the reasons for the separation.

Personally, I prefer to let my feelings take their course and don't try to influence them. However, I would try things like finding differences that are too large for me to tolerate or learning the bad aspects of the person.

9. Capsize

Capsize Would you like to be isekai’d? ψ(`∇´)ψ

Reading List:
    Link
    I wonder how a love potion would effect a narcissist. :hmm:

Deleted member 155674 likes this.
  10. LittleBigSnowFlower

LittleBigSnowFlower 悪くないよねぇ 〜

Reading List:
    Link
    1. What will you do?

- Of course i would be angry, and have to confront the my fiancé(e)'s parent for their side. Then my action will depend on how they will explain this. I also would get trust issues on my fiancé(e) if that person really doesn't know anything... Time will tell if the person is innocent.

- I would have trust issues with how my feelings works so no, i won't pursue anyone at that moment of time if my doubts aren't clarified... Also love could be fickle and i might just push through(?) on the marriage regardless.

- I have to give space to my fiancé(e) first, and not freak out. And try to explain my innocence (guilty or not) when the other has cooled down.

- It takes very long lol... If i ever have someone i actually love it would hurt me to the core to the point i'd have doubts to myself and to everyone... It will make me paranoid and scared to myself and others and might not open up again for a long time.

- You need a stronger emotion that would negate the love potion's effect and override it... Possibly anger or stronger love.

lychee likes this.
  11. Cascadian Rex

Cascadian Rex Villain with a thousand faces | Lychee's rival

Reading List:
    Link
    obviously, they would murder the fiancee posthaste. not a choice really more like a reflex reaction.

12. lychee

lychee [- slightly morbid fruit -] ❀[ 恋爱? ]❀

Reading List:
    Link
    They’re very similar. The poll question is different though

Deleted member 155674 likes this.
  13. pass1478

pass1478 I'm in Despair!

Reading List:
    Link
    I'd probably just find ways to forget about her. But my course of action is pretty much dependant on how much I love her.

14. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    1. What will you do?
    I'd ask her how she feels, knowing that I've been drugged into feeling love for her. Since I didn't particularly have anyone I was interested in before, and I would probably feel great if I just continued down the path of marrying her, I would just give a quick investigation over everything, keep the evidence, marry her, and then probably confront my mother in law about it so I can get some goodies from her.
    I don't know? If it's me personally, I actually have an easy time giving up on someone once their out of my grasp, so when it comes down to it I think I'd probably be able to develop feelings for someone else. Again, I don't really see a purpose in leaving my fiancé unless she knew about the whole thing and was being really creepy and possessive (since one of the things I value most in a relationship is the other party not being a psycho who will hurt me or my kids). I would probably have to simply not see the girl again, since I find I no longer think people exist once they leave my sight (on a subconscious level)
    Apologize profusely, confront my mother, try and not get sued. I'd also try to invest in alternative ways of fixing the effects of the position, since even though it's alchemically impossible to make an antidote, it still should be possible to use other methods of treatment.
    No idea. I've never had my feelings go that far for a person.
    Yeah, the easiest way would be to convince myself I like someone else as I know that's worked quite well before. As for how I'd try to negate the potion, I've heard that deep brain stimulation research has come a long way recently, and a small electrical shock to a certain part of the brain has been known to cure addictions to alcohol, so I bet you'd be able to use that technique to detach the effects of the potion, even if it's impossible to remove them.

15. VBS

VBS Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1. What will you do?
    I cannot allow the prestige of my bloodline to pass on to a family that tried to scam their way into it.
    This situation demands an instant and permanent breakup regardless of my feelings. That, and a couple arrests.

Taking my newfound resentment and distrust and applying logic: If feelings of love still exist after this, they are can only be fake - a result of mind control. I would distrust these feelings as an extension of my distrust for fiance(e)'s entire family.

Even if it is hard, I would suppress feelings and thoughts that infringe on my free will and choose another path. I will find happiness with someone else who won't betray me and doesn't come from a shitty family - even if they're not my now-warped idea of perfect.

Seppuku. Atone with my life.
    Die an honorable death rather than passing on the bloodline of a shitty scammer.

I can't say. Each hypothetical situation is different. I wouldn't know unless and until it happens.

In a situation where they betray my trust, it would be instant. I would consciously remind myself that the feelings are fake and not worth consideration.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2019
  16. The Hamster Overlord

The Hamster Overlord Mad scientist/Revered wizard/Alleged antichrist

Reading List:
    Link
    Depending on the circumstances. If the fiancé's family had malicious intentions towards me or my household I would break the engagement else I would marry

17. slightofhand

slightofhand Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If your erection lasts longer than 4 hours, seek help from a medical professional.

18. Robbini

Robbini Logical? Illogical? Random? Or Just Unique?

Reading List:
    Link
    Depends on how the love potion is described to be working, there are multiple methods for them to allegedly work with different results, but there has to be something that made it work only towards her.
    But she seemed to fit me, so either we're both good matches otherwise, and the potion sped it up, she was also potioned somehow or the potion was made to change me to like her better. The answer to how it works, why it worked and if she's affected also matters.
    Unknown
    Read answer #1 , depending on how the potion works.
    Varies depending on each scenario and what happens afterwards
    Also depends on how the potion works. Does it just raise my affection / affinity for her, alter me to like what she said more than I had before, was it made specifically to make me react to her etc.

But it also depends on how she'll react to it, and whether she would be willing to do some things as apologies for the potions being used on me or not.

There would probably be some methods of altering the affection I hold for her somewhat, but it's hard to gauge success without more details

19. Zomula

Zomula Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1) With the potion being semi permanent I would talk with my fiance, but I would want nothing to do with her parents. Depending on the legality I would want them arrested.
    2) No, it isn't fair to the ones involved so I feel I would either marry the current fiance or just stay unmarried.
    3) I'd break things off with my family. They may have had my best intentions at heart, but manipulating a person using drugs is detestable.
    4) No idea. I've stayed away from any meaningful relationships for a number of reasons including having abandonment issues.
    5) Can't really control your heart. All you can really do is allow things to take their course; besides trying to force things may have things ending up worse.

20. Gin_Hindew

Gin_Hindew Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Dude, your scenarios are so overly convoluted they destroy any depth on the answers, is like you want to write a story but dont want to go through the effort of actually writing it, and the answers are the answers a story would get