[Poll] Would you carry out vigilante justice?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by lychee, Dec 21, 2019.

Tags:
?

How often would you use the scrying power to determine if someone did something bad?

1. 100% - I would use my scrying powers on everyone that I encounter

6 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. 99% - I would use my scrying powers on almost everyone

8 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. 95% - I would use my scrying powers on 19 out of 20 people

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 90% - I would use my scrying powers on 9 out of 10 people

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 80% - I would use my scrying powers on 4 out of 5 people

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 75% - I would use my scrying powers on 3 out of 4 people

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 66% - I would use my scrying powers on 2 out of 3 people

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 50% - I would use my scrying powers on 1 out of 2 people

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 33% - I would use my scrying powers on 1 out of 3 people

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 25% - I would use my scrying powers on 1 out of 4 people

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. 20% - I would use my scrying powers on 1 out of 5 people

1 vote(s)
    4.2%
  12. 10% - I would use my scrying powers on 1 out of 10 people

1 vote(s)
    4.2%
  13. 5% - I would use my scrying powers on 1 out of 20 people

1 vote(s)
    4.2%
  14. 1% - I would use my scrying powers on very few people

3 vote(s)
    12.5%
  15. 0% - I would never use the scrying power - The information is pointless

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  16. 0% - I would never use the scrying power - I respect other's privacy

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  17. 0% - I would never use the scrying power - I don't want to know

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  18. 0% - I would never use the scrying power - I'm skeptical about this power/twitter

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  19. 0% - I would never use the scrying power - Other reason

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  20. I'm unsure

2 vote(s)
    8.3%
  21. I do not wish to respond

2 vote(s)
    8.3%
  1. lychee

lychee [- slightly morbid fruit -] ❀[ 恋爱? ]❀

Reading List:
    Link
    :blob_thor::blob_thor::blob_thor:

The Magical Girl of Justice and Enmity floated by you one day and randomly decided to give you a superpower.

Your superpower comes in two parts.

+ + +

The first part is the ability to telepathically determine if someone has done something bad.

If you look at someone and think — "I wonder if this person has done anything bad" — the answer will instantly appear in your head. You will know exactly what kind of bad things that person has done. Since it is a divine superpower, your ability is never wrong or mistaken. The information that appears in your head is 100% accurate.

If the person has never done anything bad, you will receive no information in your brain.

"Bad" is defined by your personal moral values. Your superpower will automatically filter for actions that you would personally consider to be "bad". "Neutral" or "good" actions are not reported by your ability. You cannot manipulate the system to inquire about specific information (e.g. you can't find out if X had premarital sex unless you genuinely believe premarital sex is "bad") unless your entire moral values change.

+ + +

The second part of your ability is the power to carry out justice.

The Magical Girl gives you a username and password to a special twitter account. By typing out a tweet (maximum 280 characters), you can cause justice to happen. You must know the name (and think of their face) in order for the ability to work.

For example, you could write:

And sure enough, the thing that you write down will happen.

Only negative punishments can be administered using this Tweet Note. Anything remotely positive or neutral will have no effect. For instance, you cannot write that X will win the lottery, because the outcome explicitly benefits one of the mentioned individuals. You could, however, write that X will fall into $1 million dollars into debt.

The Tweet is registered into fate as soon as it is posted online. You can delete the Tweet immediately after it is posted, and your written fate will still occur. You cannot edit or revoke a Tweet after it is posted. They are irreversible as soon as they are made.

+ + +

One day after receiving this superpower, you were walking home...

...And you bumped into a creepy looking individual. Since they looked kind of creepy, you couldn't help but wonder if they had done anything bad.

However, you instantly regretted thinking this, because that person turned out to be a child molester and suddenly your brain was flooded with all sorts of bad things they've done.

The child molester is a very meticulous and cautious individual, and you can instantly tell from the information you obtain that there isn't any evidence that could prove or implicate the stranger as a child molester. Consequently, reporting the stranger to the police would do nothing, since you cannot prove your allegations.

Your thoughts immediately turn to your Tweet Note.

Should you use it when you get home to carry out justice? If yes, what would you write?

1. Would you use your powers for the purpose of justice? Why or why not? How often would you use your abilities? Would you feel comfortable with using your abilities? How would you decide what punishment to write with each crime?

2. Would you also use your powers for selfish purposes?

3. Is vigilante justice justifiable? Why or why not?

4. Suppose that you see a murder trial televised on the TV. The defendant is acquitted by the jury, but you can immediately tell with your superpower that the defendant is actually guilty. Would you do anything?

5. What about the reverse? Another murder trial is on TV, and the jury condemns the defendant as guilty. However, your powers tell you that the defendant is actually innocent of the accused crime. Will you do anything?

Last edited: Dec 21, 2019
    imK, NamGi, kkgoh and 1 other person like this.
  2. Osamaru

Osamaru 『Shem's Best Pal ✧ Lexi's Ani ✧ Hamster's Keeper』

Reading List:
    Link
    |.+) *Nosy Osa Activated*

3. Loni4ever

Loni4ever The Fluffy White Wolf

Reading List:
    Link
    Daang this is so interesting. Can't wait to answer these once I get up tomorrow :aww:

4. SenjiQ

SenjiQ [Wise, for a Bird]

Reading List:
    Link
    Considering twitter is already the home of vigilante 'justice' I doubt the power will make much of a difference

5. Snowbun

Snowbun

Reading List:
    Link
    *SHOOK* lmao I’ll send a dm.

6. Land of The Fallen

Land of The Fallen Hax's | Immortal

Reading List:
    Link
    Death note rip-off :blob_coughblood::blobsleepless:

But honestly, I wouldn't bother much about this power, at most I'll just write them to have supremely bad luck when they continue to do those "bad things".
    Like want to rape a child? Sure, if you don't end up falling into a puddle and getting drenched, only to have a random mugger mug you first.

Geor likes this.
  7. Zomula

Zomula Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1) Yes, scum that escapes the law is a danger to society. Besides the "tweet note" doesn't require you to dish out severe punishment, you could use it to force them to turn themselves in and deal punishments to themselves. If done properly you could right a great number of wrongs.
    2) Maybe some. Who am I kidding. Yes, I wouldn't abuse it, but there are a number of people that I would target.
    3) In some cases, yes. In cases where justice doesn't happen sometimes the only way to right the wrong is by taking it into your own hands. That doesn't mean that punishments should be more severe under vigilante justice though.
    4) Yes. To be honest if I had heard of the case, and knew during the trial, I would have made them confess, but if it was after I would have them have night terrors for the rest of their life and if they commits violence again have them feel all the pain they inflict themselves.
    5) What can I do? The power you are given only works one way. I can punish wrongdoing but I can't vindicate someone who is being wrongly accused.

imK, mir and Loni4ever like this.
  8. VesperNyan

VesperNyan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1. Would you use your powers for the purpose of justice? Why or why not? How often would you use your abilities? Would you feel comfortable with using your abilities? How would you decide what punishment to write with each crime?
    I mean you can help the police find evidence, but to enact your own justice would be wrong. I feel even though the rule of law might have its problems, its still better than the alternative like Light Yagami. If I went to use the power I would let the person's own conscience judge themselves and hopefully change for the better or get consumed by their darkness. They would be their own judges to their action.

Not going to lie, I would be very tempted to change the very fabric of reality to make a god damn sandwich.

Is dressing up in a giant bat costume to beating up disenfranchised and poor people justified?

4. Suppose that you see a murder trial televised on the TV. The defendant is acquitted by the jury, but you can immediately tell with your superpower that the defendant is actually guilty. Would you do anything?

Its all the matter of perspective, maybe they are justified in their actions. As itachi said people have their own sense of reality and sometimes their sense of reality might not match the actual reality. They would face the consequences of their action by their own conscience

5. What about the reverse? Another murder trial is on TV, and the jury condemns the defendant as guilty. However, your powers tell you that the defendant is actually innocent of the accused crime. Will you do anything?

Same, they would be judged by their conscience and if they succeed, they will be given the power to prove their innocence.

Loni4ever likes this.
  9. The Hamster Overlord

The Hamster Overlord Mad scientist/Revered wizard/Alleged antichrist

Reading List:
    Link
    I would 1)buy a bag of potato chips 2)write "assaults a child in public. Get caught and confesses crimes"

10. Geor

Geor Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I AM Batman! ... no wait ...

11. lychee

lychee [- slightly morbid fruit -] ❀[ 恋爱? ]❀

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe I should have specified that you can't directly control the target. :blobsweat_2:

Loni4ever likes this.
  12. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    This is one chunni scenario and I like it a lot blobmelt_thumbs:blobjoy:
    Now without further ado, let me start :blobamused:

That is a debatable topic, some say yes and some say no, as for me I don't know :hmm:
    4. Suppose that you see a murder trial be televised on the TV. The defendant is acquitted by the jury, but you can immediately tell with your superpower that the defendant is actually guilty. Would you do anything?

:blobrofl::blobrofl:

13. The Hamster Overlord

The Hamster Overlord Mad scientist/Revered wizard/Alleged antichrist

Reading List:
    Link
    Then I'd write "turned into every victim child regardless of timeline"

14. Amaruna Myu

Amaruna Myu ugly squid dokja (●´∀`●)

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, because of my own sense of justice
    Occasionally, yes, I would start with pranks and wear down their minds since theres no limit to the number of punishments per person.
    Perhaps, if there is someone I really hate.
    Yes, but to a certain extent. if you go too far, it's just murder.
    make the defendant confess with my powers! :>
    Nothing, probably.

15. Snowbun

Snowbun

Reading List:
    Link
    Btw, this means that I would be able to know if someone press the toothpaste tube in the middle *BAD ALERT* or if they roll it around properly from the end, right?

lychee likes this.
  16. TiggerBane

TiggerBane Always asleep yep yep yep| Canidae lover

Reading List:
    Link
    If I use it it may as well be for justice. It’s kind of silly to use it for anything else. Not very if I can help it. Well see the simple punishment is that police would find enough evidence to convict them for all their crimes that they have committed.
    Nah
    The punisher is not justifiable and neither is light Yagami but Superman or Batman probably are if you try hard enough to justify them.
    Yes the same thing that would be done for Le pedo.
    Depends if I can do anything or not.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2019
  17. Lurking

Lurking Do the dead suffer, or is it a sweet release?

Reading List:
    Link
    i dont know how to twitter but this pedo fucker should suffer

id think of something i really wouldnt like and have it done?

or something to match the crime.

like.. killing all sex drive of sex offender pedos for a start. acting on that kind of thing.... maybe they can also spontaneously find out possibly terminal illness plus impotency
    like blackmail? oooh. slowly write out tweets with bad fate and anonymously contact the criminal with gradually worsening fates determined and have them give me money for leniency... depending on how bad i think what they did was
    tbf, anything can be justified and is thus justifiable
    depends.
    is there anything i can do?
    these are strangers right? i wont care overy much about strangers without some personal benefit...

18. Konstantin

Konstantin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link

Well, first of all being a pedo isn't something that makes the person bad by default - it is a sexual deviation outside of a person's control, a kind of mental sickness. There are also studies that prove that this deviation have a very similar origin to being gay, which makes sense from biological point of view. So it depends on how bad the things he did and if it traumatized the kids. If there weren't any real harm done then the best thing you can do is to use your power to change him. It is strange that you never mentioned if this power can change the person if it only can "punish" them for something your personally consider wrong. Also, some people consider 16-20 years old "children" even in the states and countries in which they are completely legal, so will it allow this person to kill someone just because he dated 16 years old while being 21 years old himself? It would be sick.

The simplest way would be to make the punishment into something like "they got caught and then judged by law fairly". If not then the crime should be equal to what the person has done. For example, the rapist should be raped, the killer - killed, bully - bullied, torturer - tortured, etc.

Of course, why not? Petty revenge on the people you don't like is the whole purpose of such a power, right? You also can blackmail people and earn a lot (bad idea, lol).

It depends on a person. It is justifiable only if done in accordance with your own moral values. Some people have fcked up moral values and they would probably use this power to punish people by death for cheating, punish women for wearing wrong clothes, kill all LGBT and atheists, etc.

Murder can be justified as well. For example to protect your family, or to get your revenge against the very shitty person. So it completely depends on the circumstances of this murder.

Based on your description this power would be useless in this situation.

19. Loni4ever

Loni4ever The Fluffy White Wolf

Reading List:
    Link
    I'd probably use the scrying part a lot more often than the Twitter part. It's kinda weird though, as I'm not really sure about my morals, aka what I would consider bad. I think it'd be hard to draw a line there, and if it was it'd be a pity cause I'd be curious about the things close to the line on the other side. If (as far as I know) someone is doing far more bad than good, I'd use the Twitter part, though it's difficult to pick an appropriate punishment cause there's so much to consider. I'd have to make sure it doesn't negatively impact other people much. E.g. "__ gets run over by a car", what about the one who drove the car, will they have legal/other trouble now? I'd have to find stuff that doesn't have to purposely or accidentally be done by another human (or e.g. dog for that matter cause if a dog caused a human severe injuries, it may be put down). I'm not sure if I'd feel comfortable using it... I'd probably still do though. But well, the thing is: I live in a rural area where I don't get to see a whole lot of different people so it probably won't be of much use, since I have to look at them (or does looking at them on a screen count too?).
    I'd hesitate to issue punishments that aren't either minor (like they get soaked by sudden rainfall) or very major (death). Cause in the middle area, you have stuff that could seriously make them mad/miserable without taking away their ability to commit crimes. And I think a mad/miserable person is more likely to purposely do shit to other people. I mean, ever seen a healthy happy person bully or murder someone? So they might've done bad things but I might just make it worse by punishing them in a way that doesn't even let them see it's because of the things they did; there's no lesson to be learned and that sucks xD.

Like what? Do sth to someone that annoys me? Perhaps... see, there we go again. If my mental/emotional state wasn't good, I'd be more likely to do stuff to people. I hope I wouldn't use them that way. It's not like someone would find out and punish me for it but my conscience would really take a hit.

I'd say it is, in some cases. You may not have the legal authority to do so, or they might not be punishable legally (cause e.g. lack of material evidence). But the law was made by people, and can be changed by people; it's not sacred. It's kinda similar to language: there's a record of all the "correct" forms, but it also gets used otherwise all the time. Sometimes the record starts to include or exclude forms according to what has been used by the people for a while; it changes according to what people like and do irl. The record might be a rule but it kinda isn't at the same time. I'd say vigilante justice can be "justified". However, it can be dangerous and uncalled for too, since it might be impossible to look at things objectively from a single individual/group's point of view. You might just punish someone unnecessarily or too heavily if you either don't have the right info or are too invested in the issue.

Oh, so you can use it through screens. Nice~. See, that's where I start to wonder about how my power works cause dry facts aren't everything; context is in some way much more important. Sure they murdered someone but why? Is it cause that person murdered another person first, or did crappy stuff otherwise? And if that was indeed the case and the context made it very understandable for them to commit murder, maybe even justified to an extent, then would my power not show it anymore cause it's not "bad"? So many questions xD
    As for if I would do anything.... dunno. Can I use it like "in court, ___has to speak truthfully about the murder he committed from now on"? I may do that :blob_grin:

I'm even less sure what to do in this situation. Unfortunately, I can't think of anything rn.... poor defendant.

lychee likes this.
  20. kkgoh

kkgoh Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Not quite Death Note.
    Because @lychee added omniscience -- the power to know whether a person was naughty or nice-- which solved a fundamental problem Light Yagami had and removes the need for jury deliberations (i.e. guilty or not guilty verdict).

So the only real issue here is whether you are an adequate judge and can dispense the appropriate amount of punishment.
    As long as you're not a tough-on-crime Bill Clinton and send people in for marijuana, think you'll be fine dispensing justice.

Actually, the real star power is the omniscience-with-the-moral-indicator. I think they've proven that even psychopaths understand "good" and "bad" values, they just don't feel remorse/empathy for their actions. So I'm guessing that even if you think infidelity is/isn't a problem (@lychee's prev poll), it should still flag.

If you're not comfortable judging (handing down sentences), you can always choose to be an anonymous whistle-blower and leave it up to the legal system to make a judgement. If the system still fails, you can then step in and be the final judge.

I find it interesting the poll shows 99% scrying. Guess poll participants generally understand that there are some individuals in our lives that we should leave off-limits for privacy (close friends/family).

lychee and Lurking like this.