[Poll] Would you spy on people?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by lychee, Dec 21, 2019.

Tags:
?

Would you ever use your spying superpower?

1. I'm male - Yes! I'd use it all the time!

20 vote(s)
    38.5%
  2. I'm male - I'd use it fairly often

7 vote(s)
    13.5%
  3. I'm male - I'd use it regularly

5 vote(s)
    9.6%
  4. I'm male - I'd use it occasionally

4 vote(s)
    7.7%
  5. I'm male - I'd use it very rarely

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  6. I'm male - I'd use it only in extreme circumstances

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. I'm male - I would never use this superpower

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. I'm male - I'm unsure

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. I'm female - Yes! I'd use it all the time!

3 vote(s)
    5.8%
  10. I'm female - I'd use it fairly often

4 vote(s)
    7.7%
  11. I'm female - I'd use it regularly

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. I'm female - I'd use it occasionally

2 vote(s)
    3.8%
  13. I'm female - I'd use it very rarely

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  14. I'm female - I'd use it only in extreme circumstances

2 vote(s)
    3.8%
  15. I'm female - I would never use this superpower

2 vote(s)
    3.8%
  16. I'm female - I'm unsure

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  17. I do not wish to respond

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  1. lychee

lychee [- slightly morbid fruit -] ❀[ 恋爱? ]❀

Reading List:
    Link
    This is another short one, kind of related to the last poll.

You gain the superpower that enables you to see and hear any person on demand, regardless of where they might be.

When you use your superpower, the target will appear inside your head and you can watch/hear what they are doing. You will be able to observe them as if you are a ghost in the same room as them, but you cannot interact with anything.

You can use this superpower on virtually anybody.

There are no requirements to using the power. You do not need to know somebody's name or their face, and you are able to spy on any uniquely identifiable person. This means you could spy on a masked criminal, an amusement park worker in a cartoon character suit, or even someone you met online.

Creepy? Yes! Definitely! :blobdizzy::blobdizzy::blobdizzy:

But would you do it?

1. Would you use this superpower at all? Why? Are there certain circumstances you would or wouldn't use it?

2. Have you ever snooped around for a person's information? Or facebook-stalked somebody? Or use some other indirect method of acquiring information? Is there a boundary that you think shouldn't be crossed?

3. Are people entitled to their privacy? Are there situations where they're not?

4. Would you ever use this power to spy on a spouse, lover, or family member (e.g. your child)? What if it was late at night and they hadn't come home yet? Or if they weren't answering their phone?

5. How would you feel if you found out that someone was spying on you?

6. Occasionally, I hear the argument that "if you had nothing to hide", then you shouldn't be concerned if the government is watching you. What are your thoughts about this?

NamGi and Lurking like this.
  2. MonkeDanana

MonkeDanana Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Spying is a great power. You can use it to know the movement of your enemies and competitors. You can also use it to gain any information. Imagine spying on the president and the top of organization, and using the information you get to gain an advantage. You can also use information as blackmail or to control someone.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2019
  3. slightofhand

slightofhand Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I would use it all the time because I am bored...

felidormit likes this.
  4. ru5ty

ru5ty Citizen of MILF Kingdom

Reading List:
    Link
    definitely use it all the time

5. Yunchii

Yunchii Best Waifu - Tamamo-no-Mae

Reading List:
    Link
    privacy? what's that?

6. Underload

Underload <I need someone to scratch my back!>

Reading List:
    Link
    It's true that i care about privacy, but let's face it, we are all perverts inside.

7. BigBadBoi

BigBadBoi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Why is my mind always thinking about how to use this for my "research"?
    I might use this to expose corrupt rich people that uses those pedo sex dungeons etc(I probably can't expose them for lack of evidence and I'll surely commit suicide by shooting myself three times in the back of the head so nah I love my life)

Deleted member 89812 likes this.
  8. Snowbun

Snowbun

Reading List:
    Link
    I would be tempted to use it a lot but at the same time terrified of seeing crimes or horrible things happening without being able to do anything. And also it would give me an extra mental burden of being able to keep it all to myself.

I would probably like to try to make a living out of it somehow too since it looks like a useful ability but at the same time I dunno if I could do it unless I had some partner to help me up.

Sabruness likes this.
  9. Neku

Neku Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1. Why not? the only appropriate target is your lover right? Otherwise, you'll push the boundary of people's privacy.

2. not really? Sensitive information should be treated with care. but... do you count job, as some job like credit score analyst or consumer research necessitate some kind of data gathering (totally voluntary, I swear!)

3. Of course we are. if you don't want to be spied by those big data companies such as google, facebook, etc. you are free to not use a service with them, not having relation with people who used them, never comment at the internet, don't use javascript, use tor, etc. I believe it is a tradeoff between privacy and security vs convenience, and if people want to choose convenience by ignoring the privacy implication, it is up to them to do it.

4. I'm not a worrier?

10. Neku

Neku Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
  11. SenjiQ

SenjiQ [Wise, for a Bird]

Reading List:
    Link
    Lychee voyeur fetish confirmed

12. Sea Dog

Sea Dog 『Rabid』『Mad Dog』

Reading List:
    Link
    i'd do things to try and make people react when i'm not there. That or i'd just steal a bunch of classified information. This'd also be really useful for cheating on tests, so long as your body doesn't have any weird reacts when you're off being all ghosty.

13. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Are you developing an interest in super powers @lychee ? if so, let me recommend you two superheroes that you might want to know them and their powers (assuming you don't), they are from DC
    Rorschach and Doctor Manhattan

14. Effugium

Effugium [Investigator], Praise Shigure-sama

Reading List:
    Link
    1. I would certainly be tempted to use it and possibly use it
    2. I have, but they posted there knowing other people can see them so it's still ok for me. But accessing private thing like their chat messages is crossing the boundary I'd say
    3. Maybe? Dunno
    4. I would use it when i am worried about them or maybe when i miss them
    5. Hmmm i am not sure... Depends on who i guess?
    6. I don't think that's true... That's like saying we should be okay to not wear clothes because we aren't hiding our gender, but we do want to hide our private parts cause it's private... (this answer is very bad :sweating_profusely:)

15. ReadOrDie

ReadOrDie already dead

Reading List:
    Link
    This?

No need for superpower for that.

16. TypeFantasyHeart

TypeFantasyHeart Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i will use it like my life depends on it and fuk up all criminals activies and corrupt politicians and other people like that, i would make them taste hell by using the thing i find against them and to make money out of it... You can "recover" stolen goods from them by getting their bank info... Its not stealing if you get the bad guys

17. The Hamster Overlord

The Hamster Overlord Mad scientist/Revered wizard/Alleged antichrist

Reading List:
    Link
    Probably I would. I mean, why wouldn't I?

18. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1. Sure, probably.

2. Yeah, and have had people do the same to me. I didn't mind.

3. Sure, privacy. Great stuff.

4. Yeah?

5. Flattered.

6. Oh, that's bullshit. People care about privacy laws because of potential abuse. I won't get into that because it would be political, and you really shouldn't have asked the question in the first place. Suffice to say, people aren't willing to blindly trust their gov't, that's all. It's an increasingly moot point, though, as technology continues to advance.

lychee likes this.
  19. Kadmos1

Kadmos1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I wouldn't mind spying on my eventual wife while she changes provided I give her the head's up and she is fine with it!

20. Diametric

Diametric Waifu Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    1) I'd use it all the time. I don't have enough self control not to, considering how much I would want to see these things and how little effort is required to do it. Especially since the chances of ever being found out seem so low that I'll never be found out, so there will be no consequences for me and seemingly no harm done.

2) I've looked at people's social media a bit before, but I generally don't care enough to go deep into it.

I think that it's probably weird to go snooping in lots of detail, but it's not like a line that shouldn't be crossed. It's more like a line could be crossed when you were so obsessed with someone that you would want to put in the effort or time to get what's probably not much information in the first place.

Obviously stalking someone to the point where they feel at risk is definitely a bad thing.

3) I think that people are entitled to a certain level of privacy, with things like personal beliefs that they haven't told people, or how they act or look when they are alone in their own home/room.

I know that this is makes me hypocritical when you look at my first answer, but that's because of the reasons why I think you are entitled to privacy. I think that if your privacy is breached, two bad things could happen:
    - The information could be used against you
    -You will find out your privacy was breached and feel exposed

I'm not using anyone's information against them and there's no chance of them finding out, so I feel more justified in doing so. Of course, it could also just be that I am a hypocrite instead and am coming up with this rationality post hoc.

4) Yep

5) Pretty damn bad. They'd know all my secrets and I'd be in fear of the fact that they could expose me at any moment. Not to mention that I'd feel incredibly embarrassed and self conscious at the fact that they know such secrets.

I'd feel betrayed if I found out it was someone close to me, but I think I'd resent them more for the fact that they let me know they were spying on me. Or if they weren't doing it in this no-effort, fantastical way then I'd be annoyed that they put such effort into something they knew could hurt me.

6) I think that this kinda works in isolation, but leads to bad things when implemented on a large scale. If the government gathers data about everyone, who knows how they're going to implement it? Not to mention, having a comprehensive database of everyone makes it a lot easier for malicious hackers to target people they want.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2019
    lychee likes this.