Discussion What can made you drope or avoid a novel ?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Lovina, Sep 29, 2019.

?

You have drop or avoid a novel because of :

1. Tragedie / bad ending

50 vote(s)
    27.3%
  2. Romance

10 vote(s)
    5.5%
  3. Yuri/yaoi

54 vote(s)
    29.5%
  4. Second lead syndrome

22 vote(s)
    12.0%
  5. The story (character ) have become boring or irritating

112 vote(s)
    61.2%
  6. Too much drama

43 vote(s)
    23.5%
  7. Harem/reverse harem/polyandry

35 vote(s)
    19.1%
  8. This became another stuff that what i read in the first place without advice, doesn't sign for that

16 vote(s)
    8.7%
  9. Sex /graphic violent /murder

3 vote(s)
    1.6%
  10. Asshole protagonist or character

32 vote(s)
    17.5%
  11. This became too WTF out of nowhere

40 vote(s)
    21.9%
  12. I read a spoiler and i hated it

12 vote(s)
    6.6%
  13. It perperate Rape culture

21 vote(s)
    11.5%
  14. Horror

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  15. Problem with the translation

12 vote(s)
    6.6%
  16. Racism/too much nationalism

3 vote(s)
    1.6%
  17. Misoginy

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  18. Double standard

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  19. Hypocrisy

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adorkablehiko

adorkablehiko Ryuunosuke Tsunashi’s Hoe

Reading List:
    Link
    Technical stuff like unreadable translation cause I need to know what happens, and I’m not going to risk my brain to try and understand what’s going on. I’m also not fond of TL comments in the middle of chapters because it just throws me off when I’m focusing on the story. Also sometimes they’ll have legit conversations...

As for novels themselves, if it’s boring to me. A lot of isekai are boring to me nowadays because they’re almost all the same (not all, in case I accidentally attract someone’s ire or something). Same with some villainess reincarnation/transmigration novels. Only a few bring anything new to the table, and a lot just feel like “Hey, I like this trend so I’ll write one as well” and it’s 99% the same as the other novels in its genre.

I can usually hang on for a bit longer if the MC isn’t always dumb, but if they are... I drop it like a hot potato. Another are those that have the typical abusive, and cold CEO MLs that treat the MC like shit but then again, I never drop them because I never pick them up in the first place.

Lovina likes this.
  2. Jojofann

Jojofann Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, many times I have wanted to drop these novels after the sad ending. But I have also finished @@

3. hua for flower

hua for flower Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't like it when authors insert a dumb character just for the sake of comedy, especially if it is the main character. Some of them are so dumb to the point of being braindead, I'd drop the novel without a second thought.

Also, harem. I don't have a specific reason for this, it just isn't my thing.

Lastly, reincarnation novels. I've got a lot of recommendations for this type of novels (esp the korean ones) and the plot is basically the same: mc had a horrible past, he/she somehow went back to their childhood after their death, then they plan for their escape/revenge in this new life. I'd avoid them if I find the story too generic from the summary.

4. traitorAIZEN

traitorAIZEN Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    When a story that has good potential at the beginning slowly disappoints me that i can make up a better story in my mind with the story's setting while reading it.

Lovina likes this.
  5. jintingmei

jintingmei Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I have quite a high tolerance, but when things start going crazy and everyone thinks it's normal it's just so confusing to read

6. Halicia

Halicia Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I hate when I get fairly committed to a novel and then the author starts throwing some pure/impure misogyny around, and then I remember... Oh yeah, chinese lightnovel.

Lovina and Sabruness like this.
  7. Raebit

Raebit Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Harem, especially in fantasy world, I mean in that world, is it common to have many wives there, there's no explaination, and I mean it looks natural !! like I mean...doesn't it look weird to have many wives in monogamy world?? If it's normal I will bear with it, proceed to read it. And MC only interact opposite gender, never with same gender, like in that world only exist single female and she will become his member harem.

Asshole MC , I want to make harem !!
    Too much overbearing nonsense
    Forcing too much
    Double standard
    I instantly dropped it when MC reborn and end up with the same asshole ML, like u died once because of this guy and u married him again?

'Too much fanservice', i mean it is better to get fans service like claymore than love hina or negima sensei...

Idk why I dislike romance I only love you when MC has kind family, but MC sacrafices their family for their love one. Like... I get it u love him but u sacrafice good family that kind and nuturing u until old ages???? idk maybe just me.

I avoid story like "hey im A and I want to fell in love" something like that.

I want more platonic story TT
    I'm picky but not at the same time
    I mean as long it is good or curious I'll read it. I read BL, Straight, GL.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
  8. wantek

wantek Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    there is some novel i read that changes so much, that makes me want to ask the author "why dont you just make it a different novel from xxx chapter" since from there it seems i'm not even reading the same novel anymore.
    the worst one is when the novel is close to ending and i dont like how author executes it (like manowa).

9. RAGA

RAGA Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I just don't like harem/reverse harem and I blame the multitudes in the harem-type genre being really poorly done in execution, particularly in regards to character development (both of the characters and of their relationships with one another), that tend to ruin an otherwise potentially decent story. Doubly so with stories where romance is not and should not be the major focus of the plot. So now, I just avoid them completely.

10. Merenwen

Merenwen Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So... i really despice harem... i accidently started reading one (i tent to avoid the tags because of spoilers) and it was actually pretty nice .... Then i read that it was actually a reverse harem... I dropped it. I always want to finish novels even if it almost pains me to finish them (i procratsinate so my reading list is long haha) even if it takes me forever... it was the first (and only) novel i dropped ever... my second vote went to second lead syndrome.., i didnt really encounter it in novels, but i know i dropped a lot of manga/anime/series because it frustrated the hell out of me the MC didn’t end up with my favorite character...

11. apsisodia

apsisodia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    When MC become annoying or when story doesn't make sense.

12. apsisodia

apsisodia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Have you read Release that Witch? I loved that novel!

13. CovetousWolf

CovetousWolf Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I hate 3 things in novels, which commonly found in japanese ln:
    1) Harem. If you cant justify why this female character appeared and why she is female(most times character is female to simply to be part of MC harem) then you are writing it wrong.
    2) Bad world building. I dont want to read novel where author tells us that magical beast are intelligent like humans but we dont see any proof of it. MC just keep killing this intelligent creatures like they are nothing and then we should sympathize when this beast do smth like killing humans in front of MC.
    3) MC who has no personality. Again this type of characters doesnt change because of plot. It is plot changing because of their needs.
    For example: Rising of shield hero. Plot changes to the needs of the hero. MC doesnt have equipment? Well, plot give him some random guy who give him it despite reader being told that all should despise him at least. MC cant fight? No problem! Plot give him some dude who will give him something that will help MC fight. This characters exist only because of needs of MC.

14. Fuwafuwakid

Fuwafuwakid [HIGH-CLASS POTATO] [BAMBOO MUNCHER]

Reading List:
    Link
    CN novels with chokefull of "ChinaNumbaWan" things
    (Im chinese descent and still doesnt like it :blobsalt:)

Sabruness likes this.
  15. xiashenghan

xiashenghan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Annoying MC. PERIOD.

16. Lovina

Lovina Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What is chinanumbawan ?

17. Sabruness

Sabruness Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    :blob_coffee::blobunsure::blobunsure::hmm::hmm::hmm::hmm::hmm: not sure if sarcasm or serious question? :hmm::hmm::hmm::blobunsure::blobunsure::blobunsure::blobunsure::blobunsure::blob_coffee:

18. Home.b.ros

Home.b.ros Member

Reading List:
    Link
    A harem tag, A CN novel (i really hate CN novels), Xuanhuan tag, Xianxia tag, Wuxia tag, and those industrial revolution novels that brings technology to a fantasy world. I mean I'm fine with guns just not those AK-47s and Rocket Launchers ffs there's so many pre-modern guns that fits the medieval fantasy theme like the Blunderbuss or the Hand Cannon.

19. Lovina

Lovina Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's a serious questions. I don't know much about china .

20. Lovina

Lovina Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.