LCD The Second Coming of Gluttony

Discussion in 'Latest Chapter Discussion' started by Shield Loyalist, Sep 26, 2018.

?

Which is strongest?

1. banana

18 vote(s)
    11.8%
  2. ramen

104 vote(s)
    68.0%
  3. lilac

32 vote(s)
    20.9%
  4. naengmyeon

5 vote(s)
    3.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Shatteredsun

Shatteredsun Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Depends where the divinity went probably back to parasite queen so I’d say yes

Edit man so many people saying yuhui looks just like ex today when that was never said and all that was said was they have similar aura and gentleness

Last edited: Dec 23, 2019
  2. wantek

wantek Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    nah, i believe yuhui isnt his ex.
    the boobs size is way different XD.
    maybe his ex can disguise her face but i doubt she will change even that part (lol)

3. Shatteredsun

Reading List:
    Link
    Some people are quite annoying about who the ex is
    “Yuhui the ex even though they have different names, looks and voices”
    “Sacred empress can’t be the ex because they have different names, looks and voices

Sea Dog, sgrey and tkato like this.
  4. Ishmael

Ishmael 『Night Owl』『Butler』『Traveller』

Reading List:
    Link
    Never underestimate paddings~

5. Shatteredsun

Reading List:
    Link
    Seol head can tell the difference he’s got experience

Shield Loyalist likes this.
  6. wantek

wantek Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    lol very true
    its going to be funny if seol found her just by looking that part and cop a feel for a few second(s)

7. Shatteredsun

Reading List:
    Link
    Funny chapter

8. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    Final confirmation that Ian is dead, for the crime of being born Male.

Also confirmation that Seol can put titles on people all by himself.

9. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I really don't understand this concern over "Paradise addiction," especially from people like Maldong. It stinks of people thinking of Paradise as too much of a game, and not as its own, real, independent world. Paradise is facing existential threats that could end in the annihilation of humanity on the damn planet, and people are concerned when someone wants to throw themselves into that fight. to the point of making it sound like some kind of mental disorder???

Maldong, in particular, after his regrets, seeing his students and Earthlings in general do nothing but harm Paradise when they were brought to save it, should rejoice at having someone who takes Paradise seriously, fully accepts it as another world, and embraces that. Someone who treats life and death there as if they matter, even for Earthlings.

I mean, I would understand people just being concerned about his situation at home and wanting him to work things out on Earth for his own happiness. But this "addiction to Paradise" crap just feels too much like they're not taking Paradise seriously. Like they're treating it as a game, a day job, or at best a foreign battlefield away from home, and not as an entire world that has opened its doors to them and given them everything in return for their assistance.

As far as I'm concerned Seol could pack his bags and move there. Paradise is at least equal to Earth in every way. There's no particular reason he needs to anchor himself to the former, as far as I can tell.

That said, on a more personal note for him, I do think he's using Paradise to escape from problems he should resolve. I do think, that for his own health and happiness, he should reconcile with his family and live at least part of his life with them on Earth. I just think that, if he wants to also throw himself into Paradise, to even live in that world, then that's fine. There's nothing inherently wrong with even treating Paradise as home. He shouldn't use Paradise as an escape, and shouldn't fear returning to Earth. But it also shouldn't be considered a mental disorder to embrace Paradise.

And maybe they recognize that in him, too, and that's what they mean when they call him a Paradise junkie. Maybe I'm misjudging them. But the way they always say to remember that Earth is your home makes it seem less like they're focusing on his personal issues and more like they treat Paradise as a tourist destination.

Author's letter is great. Love seeing that kind of involvement and interaction with readers from across the world.

Sea Dog likes this.
  10. sgrey

sgrey Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You said it yourself. People go to paradise to escape their reality. In theory, they would have to go back to Earth at some point, either if they have won or when Paradise is destroyed.
    Remember that if you die in Paradise, you lose all memories. So, the more time you spend there, the worse it will get. There are a ton of psychological problems with this.

Lonelycity likes this.
  11. Westeller

Reading List:
    Link
    You'd lose your memories from the time you entered Paradise, presumably, and that includes those you made on Earth. I guess you'd just find yourself suddenly months or years in the future with no idea what you'd been doing that entire time, just a big blank. Maybe some new friends helping you out financially or a really nice new job you don't remember getting. Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that the memory thing is ultimately irrelevant, because you're going to lose 'em all anyway. At most you'll want to have a place prepared for you back on Earth just in case, but, yeah...

As for Paradise' ending... If the place is doomed, it doesn't matter. That means you're going back to Earth. But it doesn't mean you shouldn't treat Paradise as a real world and contribute all you can to it in the meantime. I mean, that's the reason you were brought there to begin with: these people are fighting desperately for their continued survival and you're there to help. Treating it as a day job is... disheartening to everyone involved, at best. If you treat Paradise as your home, do everything you can to fight for it, and ultimately fail... well, that's exactly what everyone else should have been doing, too. You did it right. Did your best. You can be proud of that.

And if Paradise wins, I don't think that means the Earthlings all get sent packing. To begin with, I'm not sure it'll be possible to send them all home one-sidedly. By that time, the Earthlings are going to be powerful, aware that Paradise and other worlds exist, and no longer bound by the constraints they had on Earth. They'll probably stick around and maintain trade, if not look towards expanding in Paradise or even moving on to other worlds.

... and while it'll be harder, it'd definitely be possible for them to grow their power back on Earth if they were somehow forcefully expelled, and either return or go somewhere else. Seol himself was unknowingly training his magic stat for years before he fucked up and ruined all of his progress. On Earth. I could see the gods somehow revoking power granted through stat points and stuff, but nothing that was earned with hard work, or by consuming things like Seol's recent dinners. That belongs to them, fundamentally.

Paradise' interference with Earth has ultimately changed things for the Earthlings. Period. There's no going back to the way things were before the first Earthlings were brought over, and life on Earth and in Paradise is going to feel that change forever - unless the Parasites consume them all.

Barring deus ex machina from the author, ofc. "Okay, war's over, everyone's back on earth and perfectly normal human beings, because I said so!" ... I could see that happening, but I doubt it'll go that way.

12. lunarshadow

lunarshadow Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm going to disagree and say the memory thing is huge. Also by inference I would say that you don't forget your time on Earth when interacting with people not in Paradise. Losing weeks here and there is natural for memory. You spend 6 weeks in Paradise then 2 weeks on Earth on a cyclical nature. You die in Paradise, but basically your brain will fill in the blank spots for the most part with normal activity. Let's say you're in Paradise solely for 5 years before you die. That's 20 months of Earth time that just vanishes if you die on Paradise. That's traumatic. Like really bleeding traumatic. Especially if you suddenly get benefits from people you don't know. That becomes scary.

Now the above was for your average well-adjusted individual. Now let's take Seol. Seol fucked up his life pretty severely before going to Paradise. In fact Paradise is probably the biggest reason he's turning his life around. His mental recovery pretty much requires his memories of Paradise to work. *THIS* is why everyone is worried about him spending too much time in Paradise. He needs to have memories back on Earth interacting with non-Paradisians so he has a solid mental base. That way if he dies in Paradise and forgets everything there, he doesn't completely go back to the darkest period of his life. He'll have some memories in which he knows he was recovering. At this point in time if Seol dies in Paradise, he's absolutely fucked back on Earth. This is why they all want him to spend a month on Earth.

Also understand that until this latest victory, no one had any hope of Paradise winning. They probably still don't, but even with hope, the chances of death are still insanely high. Smart people hope for the best, but plan for the worst. It's pure stupidity not to plan for the possibility of death in Paradise.

Lonelycity, sgrey and Westeller like this.
  13. sgrey

sgrey Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No, it was explicitly stated that you lose memories related to paradise. Meaning, the more time you spend on Earth, the less damage it will be.

I doubt that anyone treats it as a game. I mean from the moment Seol stepped in there, he faced rape, murder, monsters eating people. Only a complete psycho would think it's a game. Or someone who couldn't handle the mental stress from all of this and just went crazy and is in denial. I think when they say paradise addict, they refer to people who just want to fight. They enjoy having abilities and fighting. There are many reasons for that - some probably believe themselves to be heroes, while others, like Seol, feel like they atone for their previous shitty behavior.
    My point was that if you just go to paradise and spend all your time there, you won't be able to cope with Earth easily anymore. We don't know how the whole thing will be handled in the end, and if, supposedly, all earthlings will be forced to return at some point, it will cause people who spent years in paradise a crap ton of problems.
    Regardless of how powerful people have become, I think in case of victory, the gods can just send them away if they want. No one would be more powerful than gods, I think that's how they set it up.

Exactly. As we shall see, people who have died in paradise and come back to Earth do commit suicide from stress.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2019
    Lonelycity and Westeller like this.
  14. Westeller

Reading List:
    Link
    Okay, I see what ya'll are saying about mixed memory. I get that, and I see why it'd be important to make memories on Earth unrelated to Paradise. ... I'm not sure it'll work very well, really, since I feel like everything they do will be slightly tainted with Paradise somehow. Their thoughts and actions. I mean, imagine Seol giving money to his family. Where did he get it? What was he thinking when he handed it over? Where was he going afterwards? Who encouraged him to go there, where did he get to know her? .... His memory will have more holes than swiss cheese, even when it comes to things on Earth that aren't too intimately related to Paradise.

I guess what really puts me off is that, yes, some people treat Paradise as a game. Seol has commented on this in the past. Others treat it as a gold mine to be exploited, as a tourist destination, or any number of other things. Very few earthlings are treating it as a serious battlefield upon which the fate of an entire planet is decided. Maldong has regrets because his students have turned out to be people like this, people who just see Paradise as something to be exploited for their own gain, getting all they can out of it before ultimately retreating to Earth.

Seol is not a battle junkie. He doesn't want to fight. ... Err. That sounds wrong after his berserker style, but try to remember the discussion he had when he returned from saving Teresa. He's scared of battles, scared of danger. He doesn't want to just casually throw himself into one battlefield after another. He does what he does because Paradise is important to him, because the PEOPLE there are important to him. Because, in a future he can barely recall, he had REGRETS. Deep, deep regrets. And he doesn't want to see things turn out like that again. He doesn't want to see people he cares about die,

When they say he's a paradise junkie, it doesn't feel like they're saying he's a battle junkie.

It feels like they're saying he's addicted to Paradise itself, as if he should remain detached and treat Earth with more importance. Treat Earth as his primary home and his foundation. That he shouldn't invest himself too much in Paradise. Shouldn't risk himself there too much or spend too much time there.

And to me, that's ... Not a great attitude for the supposed saviors of the world to have. It's more in line with those who just want to exploit Paradise instead of fight for it. It's the attitude of people who don't treat Paradise with enough importance.

The chief god of Paradise was eaten by a bug. A divinity carrying army leader was just killed by Seol. The ultimate goal of the war is the death of the Parasite Queen, consumer of said chief god. ... Somehow I really don't see this ending with Earthlings being weak enough that the gods can just casually expel them, and even if they can be expelled, I don't think stripping them of power will be an option. It's just totally unrealistic. ... and they could, as I said, just return or go somewhere else. The Earth has been "exposed" to the wider world now, so to speak. People have power, know how to use it, know how to grow it, and know that there are more worlds out there than just Earth and Paradise. The frogs have jumped out of the well. They're not going back in.

Victory or defeat, the Earth will never be the same again.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2019
  15. sgrey

sgrey Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Isn't that why he was set up with an official job on Earth? Supposedly if dies on Paradise tomorrow, at least he will have a memory that he works at the pharmaceutical company and made money there.
    I don't know, I think we have very different definition of "game". Yes, many people see Paradise as something to be exploited for personal benefits. Is that what you mean by game? People also treat wars right now on Earth as a means to gain profits and benefits. Do they also see wars as a game? What do you mean when you say they treat it as a game? What I mean is they don't treat that world seriously and go there like it's fake and nothing happening there won't matter to them, or something along these lines.

I honestly have no problems with people going there to make money or sightseeing. It doesn't really mean they don't take the place seriously. But remember that almost everyone who got there was pitched a lie - go over to paradise where your dreams will be fulfilled. There are also a good example like the Yi Seol-Ah with her brother, who just did not comprehend what is the price that needs to be paid for all the fame and glory. But they are kids and it's kind of understandable that they just don't know enough to comprehend it fully. I bet she is changed quite a lot from the experience. Also, some people are just not cut out for fighting or don't want to fight and risk their lives, but they still want to go to paradise for one reason or another. I also have no problems with that. But I wouldn't really say they actually treat it as a game. Maybe some people do until they face the consequences, and then they stop. You really have to have a special kind of mentality to treat this as a game after participating in battle or seeing the results of battles.

yes, this. This is what they mean.

I think in the past life he got the title of a traitor or a deserter. I think he ran away from a battle or something like that. Most of this is probably just his excuse or a lie he tells himself. He treats these battles and wars as a means to redeem himself, so he throws himself into danger because he thinks that he makes up for his past this way. He might be doing it without realizing or comprehending fully that this is what is going on.

Lonelycity likes this.
  16. Westeller

Reading List:
    Link
    No, I straight up mean they treat it as a game.

The word "NPC" has been used on several occasions, and tells you everything you need to know about the mentality some Earthlings have towards Paradise.

Look, what prompted this most recent belief that Seol is a "Paradise junkie"? ... He asked Maldong if he felt sad Ian had died in Paradise. He felt confused. Dazed. Because Maldong wasn't quite showing the appropriate reaction to the passing of a long time friend. Maldong, on the other hand, sees a problem in Seol because he takes Ian's death hard. Tell me, honestly, which of the two is taking death in Paradise with an appropriate level of severity?

And, y'know, even if Ian retains some memories, he's going to be really screwed up by this "death". You've both just told me that, in multiple different ways. Death in Paradise is serious.

I'm with Seol here. All I see are people detached from Paradise. People that aren't taking the world or its problems seriously enough.

17. lunarshadow

lunarshadow Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Here's the thing. Earthers get their levels by doing a certain amount of achievements and having one of the gods increase their power. Assuming our 7 sins aren't lying (an assumption I don't believe mind you) they can't raise your level until you get a certain amount of achievements in Paradise. We also know the gods are more than happy to set up circumstances to kill off Earthers they feel are bad for Paradise (example: last round of the Banquet.) At the end of the day, if the Earthers rely solely on the Gods power, they will never ever defeat the Parasite Queen. The god the Parasite Queen ate is stronger than the 7 sins. And as this last battle has shown, mortals can't wield the full force of divinity. Even assuming we get 7 executors going at the maximum divinity they can handle, I doubt they'll be able handle the Parasite Queen. It's questionable if we got 7 executor at full power willing to fully burn their mortal bodies if they could handle the Parasite Queen. Either the Earthers or Paradisians need to discover a way to get non-divine power that rivals the Parasite Queen or steal the divinities of the 7 virtues to give to other people.

Regardless the 7 sins will have enough strength to kick out nearly all the Earthers. Anyone they deem worthy of being an executor I doubt they'd feel the need to try and kick out. I mean they're essentially their Avatars at that point. But honestly if they could defeat the Parasite Queen, I don't think they would even try to kick out the Earthers. The reason they even need the Earthers is because the 7 sins aren't from Paradise to begin with and they can only really grant power to the Earthers. Killing the Queen will most likely allow new divinities to crop up from the 7 virtues which are native to Paradise and will allow Paradisians to be on equal footing to Earthers again. Or at least that's my theory.

Westeller likes this.
  18. tkato

tkato Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    well the village head has definitely said earthlings treat is as a game and paradise natives get treated as npc's meant to give quests rather then real people a lot

Westeller likes this.
  19. Westeller

Reading List:
    Link
    The Seven Sins don't grant power quite as much as you made it sound there. I said earlier that I could see them revoking strength gained from points spent in their leveling system, but ultimately MOST of the power Earthlings gain is through hard work. Training their bodies, their mana, learning new abilities. Especially abilities they learn on their own, without having them directly granted to them. A god taking that away would be no different than taking away your ability to ride a bike. The god didn't magically grant you that skill. You learned it yourself. It's part of you, and not some outside gift that can just be taken away.

And levels are mostly just a number. Classes just a name. Apart from the points gained and skills you forcefully learn, anyway. They're not really granted power with each level up.

But, yeah. I don't know how this is all going to turn out. I like your idea of a new seven virtues and Paradisians standing even with Earthlings. ... But however it turns out, I don't think just totally expelling the Earthlings, revoking all of their power, and essentially putting Earth back the way it was before they touched it, are really possible. Whatever they do, the Earth is different now.

20. tkato

tkato Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i dont really get the big deal about him wanting to stay in paradise either. i mean i completely agree with him using it as an escape to run from his family issues but if he sorts them out i still think him wanting to stay there is fine. he finally found a place he feels he belongs and even if its not where hes from people move far away all the time. the only issue i could maybe see is that after the war the gods plan to close the connection between earth and paradise and thats why people dont want him to get attached cause its only temporary. but i mean no matter what this problem of him wanting to stay in paradise will get solved cause 2 harem members are paradise natives so i doubt it ends with him not at least having access to paradise. my guess is in the end he fully moves there but visits earth from time to time to visit his family who i also think will have forgiven him by the end of the novel

Westeller likes this.