I got this from a political article

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Wujigege, Dec 24, 2019.

1. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    I think we can all use these:

How to disagree better - eight tips
    • You don't have to agree - disagreeing itself isn't the problem, it's how we do it
    • Don't aim for the middle ground - splitting the difference isn't the answer when you fundamentally disagree
    • How you talk is more important than what you talk about - "What matters is the dynamic that exists between us," says couples counsellor Esther Perel
    • Speak truthfully - to form meaningful relationships what's needed is total honesty
    • Listen intently and aim for empathy - it's all about "a willingness to take in what the other person says," says Esther Perel
    • Dial down the rhetoric and rein in the insults - "No one in history has ever been insulted into agreement," says Harvard professor Arthur Brooks
    • Understand the difference between fact and opinion - opinions are perspectives to be tested against the evidence, not just weapons to be wielded against our opponents
    • Go looking for conflict - Then "listen compassionately, give your point of view and express love," says Arthur Brooks

Most importantly MERRY CHRISTMAS!! :blob_plusone:

2. raitei

raitei ⟪Procyon lotor paronomasiaabsentii⟫

Reading List:
    Link
    Unfortunately, most of the people who actually got heated on any debate on almost any social media tends to skip all of that and goes straight to ad hominem and any other fallacies in a heartbeat, sadly.

Loni4ever and MrSplashy like this.
  3. aegis062

aegis062 Chaotic Demon Emperor

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree with most of this except the last one. I don't think you need to express love you just need to respect the other persons views even when you don't agree. getting angry and twisting fact or disregarding someone view is the same as not accepting their existence and the world doesn't belong to anyone person so everyone's input sometimes makes the world a better place for co- existence.

MaliMi likes this.
  4. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    all above is useless when talking to block head
    troll
    narrow minded cat
    those who talking just for sake of talking
    mix of them

talking to a wall

5. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Context is important, the article was about dehumanizing people, so it makes sense

aegis062 likes this.
  6. natsume142

natsume142 だが、断る

Reading List:
    Link
    there a different in debating and arguing.. most people goes straight to arguing and then cancelling other people so there no purpose to start an argument

Wujigege likes this.
  7. oblueknighto

oblueknighto Blue Person

Reading List:
    Link
    Merry Christmas!

I first found it funny that you call yourself a comedian but then I realised that you were actually doing a good job because... I laughed.

You troll a bit too much but you do share some pretty interesting things once in a while.

On this particular topic I can’t agree with points 2, 6 or 8.

The middle ground is important, especially if you got this from a political article. Politics need less extremists and more people who can get more done even if some compromise me are taken. Otherwise when the ruling party changes (in democratic countries) they can just cancel or roll back the changes and try to go in the opposite direction.

People can totally be insulted into agreement. I’ve insulted people into agreement and I’ve been insulted into agreement. It works when it’s applied correctly, different situations need different solutions and sometimes insults just work better than trying to logically argue with someone.

Not all people should look for conflict. That’s only for a very small portion of people who enjoy it. It’s crazy to live your life by someone else’s words. Find what suits yourself.

Yea I know you didn’t write these points. I’m replying to them anyway because I find them interesting.

imK and Wujigege like this.
  8. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Some people just hate to see differing opinions.
    I started a post saying I have a different perspective and got accused of gaslighting and insulting others

https://forum.novelupdates.com/threads/a-thief-on-wattpad.97634/reply?quote=5362040

Last edited: Dec 24, 2019
  9. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    This is the title of the original article

How to disagree well: Two close friends who have reason to hate each other

Doubting my ability to make others laugh is preposterous.
    I am a graduate on the Jerry Seinfeld school.
    I read Seinlanguage after all :blob_sunglasses:

10. Zomula

Zomula Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah. . . This only works if both people in the disagreement are willing to be open to discussion and willing to entertain ideas that oppose their own. I always take these steps and, especially online, the other side usually devolves into a troll who's only argument is insults and threats.

Wujigege likes this.
  11. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Some people are looking for sounding boards or rather aren't used to adult conversation.
    They might even be kids.
    Having a differing opinion is some kind of sin
    Especially, when yours is not an opinion but fact :facepalm:

Zomula likes this.
  12. imK

imK Artful Dodger

Reading List:
    Link
    You could just be honest and @ me instead of being passive-aggressive about it. My original post was explaining to someone who asked why a fan translator could copy strike a re-uploader even though they don't own the original themselves.

I was clarifying the laws around fan translations, translation rights and copystriking. Laws aren't opinions, they're literal facts. You jumped on in with your impassioned speech the plight of the fan translator, supporting slavery and the street worker analogies. You also told me I didn't understand and made another speech about being open to dialogue. What are you on? Maybe you didn't understand me the first time so I'll make it crystal-clear now:

My post wasn't about you.
    My post was about the law.
    Laws are facts.

You need to take your own advice before you give it to others. Merry Christmas.

13. Kadmos1

Kadmos1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    SJWs could learn a thing or to from this OP thread! Problem with speaking truth is that truth can be subjective. With the issue of what you and how you say it, you might get the response of the following cards being used against you: "Racist", "Sexist", "Homophobic", "Anti-Semitic", "Rape apologist", "Islamophobic", "Uncle Tom", "Sell-out", etc.

Wujigege likes this.
  14. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link

You are calling me passive aggressive, my supposed speech is impassioned.
    With all the ad hominems, you claim I am insulting you.
    Sorry but you are just pathetic at this point.
    I started my post with I disagree and I have a different perspective.
    You forget that your post was not the only post in the thread.
    And if you got off your high horse and actually read what others wrote instead of trying to defend what you wrote, you would see my post and perspective was relevant to the discussion and I even mentioned @GDLiZy whom you replied to.
    Since he was saying fan translators had no say because they didn't have the copyright.
    You really need to fix your reading comprehension skills.
    Given how passive aggressive your post is. It's a laugh you call me passive aggressive.
    It's pretty pathetic how narrow minded people can be.
    I added you to my ignore list.
    Not seeing your username would be a very Merry Christmas for me.
    If you really meant your Christmas wishes, then leave me be.
    Cheers!

Last edited: Dec 25, 2019
  15. MrSplashy

MrSplashy Grey Knight

Reading List:
    Link
    True, actually did it on a Chinese exchange student. I showed him evidence, how wrong it is to us, and still protects the CCP.

Also, I fucking hate them Feminazis and that their predecessors would've rolled in their graves if they saw how they act. I also tend to agree on some points but I tend to be more of the impartial middle ground dude since I would always tend to see their differing viewpoints and how they would understand things with their ideologies, beliefs, faith, etc.

Merry Christmas ya'll!

Wujigege likes this.
  16. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    The problem is that most people are not looking to have an argument but are looking to either A) People to agree with their views to form their cognative bias. B) Take out their frustrations and blame on others.

Finding people actually willing to debate is rare.

Such a thing doesn't exist, all cats are omnipotent, omnipresent and omnifuzzy. They are also always right without exception. If a cat is narrow minded, it simply means the universe itself is narrow.

imK, asriu and Wujigege like this.
  17. Femme Fatale

Femme Fatale | Sublime Goddess Of Chance |

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes! This is very good.

The art of discourse has almost disappeared in today's fake news, millennium ride of irrationality that is engulfing everything these days. Always better to focus on understanding that making your point....or making your point the ONLY acceptable option.

In the future, people that have social skills will have amazing doors open for them.....it will be more important than technical skills I foresee.

Wujigege likes this.
  18. Sawanara murasaki

Sawanara murasaki Sawa the HEro-sensei

Reading List:
    Link
    Merry Christmas too

Wujigege likes this.
  19. imK

imK Artful Dodger

Reading List:
    Link
    You quoted me in that thread multiple times. Please keep me on your block list. I won't miss your rants.

20. ElefantVerd

ElefantVerd It's not me, and it's not you.

Reading List:
    Link
    Benjamin Franklin gives some advice in his autobiography. About how to discuss with people.