Are other Yaoi readers get annoyed by this?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by lighterxx, Dec 27, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlexPT

AlexPT Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You said that their choice was odd and you assumed that they thought it was common. What they translate may not reflect on their actual beliefs.

2. Effugium

Effugium [Investigator], Praise Shigure-sama

Reading List:
    Link
    I think she meant CN authors not the translators

3. AlexPT

AlexPT Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Did I?

4. IceLight303

IceLight303 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So I asked my LGBTQ friends if they had a problem. They said no and kinda laughed at me... They pointed out some other things, like how 'rotten women' will get excited about seeing a real couple, all the other women are evil and trying to break them up, the real lack of hair in the mouth((Asians to tend to have less hair) (not that much less)), most couples switch who takes and receive, and if anyone was that possessive in real life an undying restraining order is more common then undying love. Yeah, now there just making fun of me. They just pointed out that even most women get mad if their spouse just called them wife. Also they want to know if I think STDs aren't real.... Now they are just being mean....

5. Loni4ever

Loni4ever The Fluffy White Wolf

Reading List:
    Link
    that's not what I meant to say, although I guess I could've worded it better xD
    Of course you (ideally) treat your partner with respect no matter their gender, and a lot of the dynamics are the same regardless of gender. How you act around them still depends on their gender to a degree though. For people who are not a whole lot into gender roles, the bare minimum for that would be addressing them with the corresponding gender words. And for people who are into gender roles, they would treat their partner a bit or a whole lot more differently depending on their gender. Cliché example: if they think it's fine to not take men's feelings into account and that women are weak and can't cope on their own, then their behaviour would vary quite a bit when in a relationship with a man vs a woman. Of course it'd be better (imo) to have less pronounced gender stereotypes and treat everyone well, but in any case, it shows in the behaviour. That's what I meant by

lighterxx and Lurking like this.
  6. IceLight303

IceLight303 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Okay, I get what you mean now. I guess it doesn't bother me, people get my gender confused all the time. I never really cared, to much effort.

7. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    raccoon bread.jpg
    it's cute
    it is for da lul
    it is nickname
    bothersome? not for me

lighterxx likes this.
  8. Japorea

Japorea Resident BL Enthusiast

Reading List:
    Link
    It doesn't really bother me. I think it's just playful teasing. I mean, there are times when seme MLs are even called 'wife.' :blobrofl: All that matters for me is that they respect each other.

Loni4ever and lighterxx like this.
  9. Solus

Solus 自分のことお嫌いです

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't think there's anything wrong with the seme calling the uke wife (=w=)b
    But using the pronoun 'she', I think it's just MTL problem. If it was the author who used 她... are you sure this is danmei?

lighterxx likes this.
  10. lighterxx

lighterxx Hoshi stan before a human °^°)

Reading List:
    Link
    Insert a new paragraph after "their choices are weird"

Afterwards I was talking about Authors for Cnovels, not the translator team, they have superb translations and have great choices usually they do have some novels i question why they choose tho lol

11. lighterxx

Reading List:
    Link
    Yep lol but i did read some fcked uo novels so...

Also yes^^^^ i did mean like that
    Why would i insult a translation team when the issue lies with authors o.o

Lol they are adorable, tell them if they continue to be mean, i will send them to evil fujoshis (ㆁωㆁ)

thisworldofmine1 and Loni4ever like this.
  12. Hasr11

Hasr11 [Cat] [Fujoshi] [JP TL in Hiding]

Reading List:
    Link
    JP TL here, haven’t seen as many situations where the couple refer to each other as ‘husband’ and ‘wife’ on the JP raw side, usually it’s ‘koibito’, the gender neutral lover, or Kare(him) or kareshi(BF)...but then couples stop at the lovers stage...it’s been a long time since I’ve seen couples in jp novels get married outside of omegaverse...maybe my choices are wierd haha

As for my translations, I usually translate liberally and the ‘wife’ thingy bugs me too, so I go for the gender neutral term most of the time

thisworldofmine1 and lighterxx like this.
  13. lighterxx

Reading List:
    Link
    Tbh THANK YOU maybe its bit extreme to assume but i did read some jp novels, and i dont think i ever saw wife. I assume it is because well, for starters searching up "gay" is not banned in Japan lol, im grateful for not using wife too, i dont mind once a while but this novel i commented at that point had wife at least 3 times in every big paragraph...

Last edited: Dec 28, 2019
    thisworldofmine1 likes this.
  14. nachte

nachte Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hanayome (bride) is huge in JP novels, to the point where some of my searches yielded half the results with word Hanayome in title. I do sometimes see Kami-san (wife), never Nyoubou (wife), but Yome (bride) is fairly prevalent in certain BL subgenres.

lighterxx and Hasr11 like this.
  15. lighterxx

Reading List:
    Link
    Well if they are used once or twice it wouldnt bother me, it annoys me but im not that inflexible (if i was it would be impossible for me to read anything...) As long as it does not constantly repeat, im im good with it tbh

16. AlexPT

AlexPT Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You would do well to word it clearer. When you use “their” it looks like you’re referring to the translators.

lighterxx likes this.
  17. Raebit

Raebit Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think they called wife because he is being married off to the seme?
    The one being married off is the wife
    Because in china being married off is usually daughter role??
    Idk how to say it
    But taken away from the family, and stay at husband place, and taking care of the husband's family
    So...maybe the stem is from that

18. Raebit

Raebit Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If it is modern time it will make me wonder tho, I mean I can imagine it ancient time saying wife because of that system, and dowry and such.
    But I tend to skip and ignore it xD

thisworldofmine1 likes this.
  19. Zryuu

Zryuu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Just some food for thought:

The word ‘wife’ doesn’t appear nearly as often in Western or Japanese novels, right? Yet they appear rather frequently in Chinese webnovels? What could that imply? That it’s a result of horribly misogynistic tendencies?

But don’t such misogynistic tendencies dwell in Western and Jap literature as well? Or are the Chinese just that much more misogynistic than other cultures?

Or could it simply be because of a cultural difference?

In Chinese, calling someone a ‘wife’ is nowhere nearly as weird as saying it in English, which is why it may seem so weird to English speakers. It’s sort of a natural way of calling someone ‘dear’ or ‘darling’, just expressed in a different way.

Also, just because you can’t understand something doesn’t make it wrong. As an analogy: there are some people who don’t understand how people of the same sex can like each other, think it’s wrong, so they try to convince other people that it’s wrong too.

Hope what I’m trying to convey is clear

Japorea, saekicchi, lighterxx and 3 others like this.
  20. Loni4ever

Loni4ever The Fluffy White Wolf

Reading List:
    Link
    @Zryuu waah interesting :aww::blobpopcorn:

Thanks for the food, I'm digesting it now~

One thing though that I think you might have misunderstood (or maybe I did? lol):
    although someone in this thread said that even some western women find it weird to just be called "wife" by their spouse, this thread is mainly about the misgendering aspect of it. So it might be a term of endearment and I don't see a problem if in a CN novel a guy calls his girlfriend "wife". It's different if he calls his boyfriend "wife" though. That I really can't quite understand, and I think it's very weird. Why not just call him "hubby" or sth? :blobwoah:

I mean, oftentimes it's not that big a deal and all but sometimes..... when I read a novel like that, it just kinda irks me. Maybe it's a problem with my own thinking and perception of this topic - but maybe it's not, or only partially. I kinda wonder what people who grew up in Chinese culture think about this :hmm:

lighterxx and thisworldofmine1 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.