Question [JP] Help with a phrase

Discussion in 'Translator's Corner' started by Hasr11, Dec 28, 2019.

1. Hasr11

Hasr11 [Cat] [Fujoshi] [JP TL in Hiding]

Reading List:
    Link
    So this is like the description of a novel, but I don’t get how to word a certain sentence
    神奈川県警みなとみらい臨港署の警務課に勤務する駒井健人は、ある夜、公園で襲われていたオメガの男を助ける。その男は一輪の花を残して姿を消した。数日後、オメガでキャリアの署長がみなとみらい臨港署に赴任してくる。前代未聞の人事に湧き立つ所轄署だったが、その署長が助けたオメガの男で――!?
    What’s the part in bold supposed to be worded as in English? I get the meaning, just can’t find the words for it...
    My best attempt is “The Police station was caught up in unprecedented personnel affairs”

Also the story’s Omegaverse just so ya know

2. chencking

chencking [Daolord Grammar Nazi]

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not sure you get the meaning. The gist is the man the MC saved turns out to be the chief who was being transferred into the department. I have no idea why the MC should care. He saved the chief. Brownie points for him. But the summary makes it sound shocking----!?

3. Hasr11

Hasr11 [Cat] [Fujoshi] [JP TL in Hiding]

Reading List:
    Link
    Coz he’s the love interest I guess. It’s BL haha....
    Also I got the rest of the summary alright, I just can’t put the part in bold in English, as seen by my awful attempt

4. nachte

nachte Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I might suggest something like this: Not only is the station hit with this unprecedented HR move, but the new police chief happens to be the omega who he saved--!?

Hasr11 likes this.
  5. sparantan

sparantan Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    "前代未聞の人事に湧き立つ所轄署だったが、その署長が助けたオメガの男で――!?"

A word for word translation is...
    "While there arose a commotion in the police office (with / because of / caused by) the unprecedented personnel affairs, the (new) chief is the (very) man of Omega, whom 健人 saved (the other day) --- !?"

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
    Hasr11 likes this.
  6. Kiriko

Kiriko Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I believe what they're trying to roughly say is:
    "Though it was an unprecedented appointment (in personnel) in the precinct, that new chief is the very Omega that he had saved----!?"
    Switched up the words and went a bit liberal, but I think that should be the general gist of it. It'll probably make more sense after putting it all together.