[Poll] Would you time travel on the New Year?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by lychee, Dec 31, 2019.

Tags:
?

When would you time travel to?

1. 3000’s and above

6 vote(s)
    17.1%
  2. 2500 - 2999

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  3. 2100 - 2499

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 2020 - 2099

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  5. 2010 - 2019

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  6. 2000s

4 vote(s)
    11.4%
  7. 1990s

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  8. 1980s

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 1970s

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  10. 1960s

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. 1950s

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. 1940s

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. 1930s

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. 1920s

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  15. 1910s

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  16. 1900s

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  17. 1800 - 1899

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  18. 1700 - 1799

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  19. 1600 - 1699

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  20. 1500 - 1599

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  21. 1000 - 1499

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  22. 500 - 999

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  23. 0 - 499

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  24. 1000 BCE - 0

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  25. 5000 BCE - 1000 BCE

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  26. 10000 BCE - 5000 BCE

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  27. Before 10000 BCE

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  28. I wouldn’t time travel

12 vote(s)
    34.3%
  29. I do not wish to respond

3 vote(s)
    8.6%
  1. lychee

lychee [- slightly morbid fruit -] ❀[ 恋爱? ]❀

Reading List:
    Link
    :cookie:

At exactly midnight on New Year’s Eve, the Magical Girl of Time and Space appears in front of you with a time machine.

The magical girl tells you that the time machine can bring you to New Year’s Eve on any date, exactly at the location you are standing.

There will be no time paradoxes because time traveling produces an alternate timeline/world. If you time travel to the near past, there could be two “you’s” existing at once.

Time traveling is a one-way trip and there is no way to return to your original timeline.

1. Would you agree to time travel? Why or why not?

2. If yes, when you would time travel to?

3. How do you plan to reestablish your life in the absence of an identity/government documents/job/etc?

4. Would you confront the past you if you time traveled to the near past?

5. Is there anything you would want to say or discuss with someone in the past? Would you reveal your identity as a time traveler?

6. Suppose the time machine is about the size of a car. What would you bring with you?

NamGi, Arash1 and Cutter Masterson like this.
  2. Ddraig

Ddraig Frostfire Dragon|Retired lurker|FFF|Loved by RNG

Reading List:
    Link
    Just before the heatdeath of the universe.

Okay maybe that is a bit too far and kinda insta-death situation.

Loni4ever likes this.
  3. VeraH

VeraH eternally lazy

Reading List:
    Link
    I'd time travel to the near future to see if I'm rich. Then kill the future me and replace her :blobmelt:

Probably not too far into the future though or else I'd probably get caught and made into a test subject by curious scientists trying to figure out the secret to time travel. Or else I'd have difficulty getting an identity:hmm:

Loni4ever likes this.
  4. Anra7777

Anra7777 All powerful magic grammar hamster queen pirate.

Reading List:
    Link
    I’ll pass. :blob_grin:

Loni4ever likes this.
  5. Melodious Nocturne

Melodious Nocturne [Dance, water, dance!] [My name is Demyx!]

Reading List:
    Link
    Do I get displaced in space as well as time? If I go back a year, will I be back in my home world and can just take over my life once past me gets isekai-ed? :cookie: Or will I still be here on Earth? :blobsad:

*rereads and sees his question was answered* No point then... :blobsob:

6. Underload

Underload <I need someone to scratch my back!>

Reading List:
    Link
    2008 to work to buy the best PC's (plural) of the time (or take one from now) and mine the coins starting next year.

7. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    I'd time travel to Adam and Eve and watch the OG wincest. :blobpeek:

Loni4ever and hmod like this.
  8. Sordahon

Sordahon 『One Person Virtue Is Another One Sin』

Reading List:
    Link
    2500-2999 We will certainly have multiple well established colonies across a few star systems, regardless if it's impossible united government or fragmented shit dystopia, it wouldn't be that impossible to get by even without identity papers so I would try to see what marvels advanced technology could bring, whether the future is good or bad, it's still worth the risk.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2020
    Lurking likes this.
  9. VesperNyan

VesperNyan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I would go to 1999 to Morioh to meet David Bowie with a hand fetsh. Hopefully gain a stand and not be murdered.

10. oblueknighto

oblueknighto Blue Person

Reading List:
    Link

Work a bit to get some capital and start investing.

I'll have plenty of time to prepare for the GFC and since I know it's coming I can short the heck out of the market. Massive profits.
    I can also purchase big stakes in Microsoft, Google, Apple etc. It probably won't be hard to become a multi-millionaire, maybe even a billionaire if I place good enough bets. I'll also try my hand at some easy app development and start patenting all the shit I can remember. Photo, Social media, Music, Dating, Food, Delivery, Health, Maps... there are tons of digital patents I can claim before they even start to emerge into the world. I guess I'll just develop what I can and easily make some money off of all the other companies.

20 years of knowledge and work will be easy enough to set me up for the rest of my life. I'll leave my past life alone until he leaves so when it's 2020 again I'll be in an ideal position to take care of my family, friends and others that I left behind before the time-leap.

I'll probably try to hide the unique (if it is even that) advantage that I have over everyone else in the alternate universe. Maybe I'll try to talk to some aliens like Elon Musk. He seems crazy enough that nobody would believe him if he said someone from the future talked to him.

If the time machine was the size of a car then I'd definitely take a ton of SSD with data of the current research, data and stock market history. Seriously, it'll be like a literal gold mine. Take a few computers, laptops, phones with me so I can access the data and also my passport, birth certificate etc. I might look a bit old for my age at the time but I'm sure nobody is going to look too closely unless I do something stupid. There are tons of immigrants (both legal and illegal) in my country at that time so it won't be that hard to blend in with them.
    Actually now that I think about it I could approach my family for help and pretend to be my uncle and claim his identity since he lives overseas.

There are honestly so many things you can do if you go to the near-past. Just 10 years is already enough to set you up for life.
    E.g. you can start mining and collecting bitcoin when it first came out in 2009 and you'll be a millionaire/billionaire by now.

Happy New Year everyone! Hope everyone has a wonderful year!

Last edited: Dec 31, 2019
    Lurking, Loni4ever and hmod like this.
  11. Cutter Masterson

Cutter Masterson Well-Known Super-Soldier

Reading List:
    Link
    I choose the 1920s. Most of the best stock options we’re around that time. I would buy in early on Amazon, Walmart, IBM, Coca Cola, Apple and a bunch of oil stock. Than give me now, most of it.

Sure, grab hold of any opportunity when given a chance.

1920s as stated. Also it gives me a lot of time to build up capital until I’m born.

3. How do you plan to reestablish your life in the absence of an identity/government documents/job/etc?
    Probably a green card or a workers visa

No, I would just say I was a distant relative and he was my chosen heir.

5. Is there anything you would want to say or discuss with someone in the past? Would you reveal your identity as a time traveler?
    No, but the people I would like to talk to. Maybe Tesla or Da Vinci. As to places I would like to visit I’d say Atlantis. To see if it truly exists.

12. Zeusomega

Zeusomega M.D of Olympus Pvt Ltd. Seeking [Boltzmann brain]

Reading List:
    Link
    To the start of space and time

If there's anything like that.

Anything else would be a waste of lifetime.

We all read novels with 60's, dinosaurs and primordial monsters, turning into a hero solving conflicts, winning hearts.

If in real life I seriously get a chance to travel back indefinitely, id choose to see the beginning, even if it meant I'd die the very next second, cause I would have seen the truth that no living being on earth ever had or has a chance to witness.

Ps- psst this is what I feel I should choose, but probably I'd just grab some centinial sport magazine and go back to 90's to crunch.

Lurking and Loni4ever like this.
  13. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe, only if I get many chances to travel :hmm:

Everywhere, it does make a parallel realities after all :blobowoevil_horns:
    [​IMG]
    Who cares if I can keep meddling in time business :blobhero:

Maybe, but probably give my past self some slaps for some stupid things that happened :hmm:

Maybe but I want to prank some past and future people, perhaps some cosplay and do something like this
    [​IMG]
    6. Suppose the time machine is about the size of a car. What would you bring with you?
    Now this is a hard question :hmm: I don't know :blobawkward:, maybe if it actually happens I will decide on what to bring :blobunsure:

14. KurouDaijuji

KurouDaijuji Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1. No, I would not want to relive the past that I'vee already lived, & the bits before I was born would be even worse, nor would I want to go forwards, as a jump short enough for me to be reasonably certain of the shape of the future isn't worth making, & a jump far enough to anticipate significant change is too far to anticipate what the changes would be.

2-5. Not applicable, unless I could jump one planck second forward without duplicating myself (& even then, I'd only do it if I had to).

Loni4ever likes this.
  15. ludagad

ludagad Addicted to escapist novels

Reading List:
    Link
    Fuck yes. Anything to get me out of here right now. You do know sending me at any time to the exact place I am right now would mean I end up in space and suffocate and die tho, right? For the smartypants out there, you'll need to specify 'at the exact geographical location on the planet you are right now'. Imagine going to the past and ending up in some old house's wall. Or going to the future and it's a small hill now. or flooded. Lol.

16. girisuherman

girisuherman ∆ Hiki Bear ∆

Reading List:
    Link
    Sure, can I travel to 934000? Sure human probably can extinct but, I was really curious of Future

17. Blankdom

Blankdom Unknown

Reading List:
    Link
    Yup, to get rich.

Back to the past, maybe a year or so

This is the hard part; would probably try to talk to my 'past self', so I can use my old identity.

Probably, as it's the easiest way to reestablish myself; and can probably convince them to help us get rich.

Probably only to my other self, about what stocks to invest in, and when.

Generator, laptop along with some hard drives, some notebooks containing written notes, my identifications, and cold, hard cash; maybe some food & water, along with cloths.

18. Ruyue

Ruyue Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, so I could become independent and rich
    Probably mid 1980's
    Probably find a stable job and invest a shit ton into rising companies
    I didn't even exist.
    No
    A shit ton of money and guns.

19. VBS

VBS Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Same. This is the deal-breaker.

The whole appeal of time-travel is being able to go back-and-forth. Bringing knowledge from the future into the past, or lost knowledge or artifacts of the past into the future.

If all I'll ever do is live out my life in another time without being able to witness the long-term effect of my actions, I'd rather just continue living out my life in this time.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2019
    Loni4ever and Anra7777 like this.
  20. Loni4ever

Loni4ever The Fluffy White Wolf

Reading List:
    Link
    I wouldn't. I got my family in this time and basically all the things I'm interested in are happening right now. Why would I time travel :blob_grin: also, I wouldn't know how to survive in any time very different from this one

Now to answer the other questions.... *reads them and sees they're all in case you answered yes for the first* oof I think that's it for me then. Loni out for this poll o/ XD

Lurking likes this.