Discussion About Self-love and Love for Partner

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by GDLiZy, Jan 1, 2020.

1. GDLiZy

GDLiZy Wise Deepsea Mermaid

Reading List:
    Link
    The only soul with any realistic chance of ending up with the partner they deserved is those who had properly reconciled themselves to the prospect of never being with anyone at all.

I came across this quote by chance and got really interested in its philosophy, and I really wanted to see your opinion on it.

For me, I agreed with the quote. Although it seemed somewhat contradictory, I think that being able to accept the possibility of being alone helped ourself to look inside and be happy with ourself. If we are happy and satisfied with ourself, others would soon appreciate us for who we are, leading to "the partner we deserved".

2. zarvi

zarvi Ojisan

Reading List:
    Link
    loving yourself too much will make it more difficult to find a partner.

3. Loni4ever

Loni4ever The Fluffy White Wolf

Reading List:
    Link
    Is that from School of Life? :blob_grin:

I think I agree with this one. Maybe not for everyone but for a lot of people at least.
    If you reconcile with that, chances are you will find ways to actively make yourself happy instead of expecting a (potential future) partner to do so. If you're fine on your own, you will only want to be with someone because it's amazing with them instead of because you emotionally need them.

maybe once someone loves themselves enough, their wish to find a partner won't be as strong, so it doesn't matter if they can find a partner. If they do though, it'll be a great one~

GDLiZy and Sabruness like this.
  4. Lazriser

Lazriser Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm...

I'll be honest with you here. Reading this quote seems to be quite impossible for me, and by impossible, I know what I'm reading but my mind is having trouble understanding it. Perhaps, my sense of values concerning love is already beyond repair. I can pretty much give good and practical advise to others, thus, I'm somewhat a good listener and consultant. Though, when it comes to self-love or love, I subconsciously begin to reject understanding it. Love is a sickness, something better to avoid than to be cured from. Indeed, love makes the world go round. Love for living, dead, and things.

Quite a dilemma I'm in, as I can't enjoy this discussion my meager brain matter. What a pity, even after playing the recent game about love.

Sigh~

Lonelycity likes this.
  5. Sabruness

Sabruness Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    I can agree with it. If you accept that you might end up alone, the pressure of "must find someone" is released which might actually make it easier and less stressful to actually find a partner. Positive vibes over negative vibes

GDLiZy and Loni4ever like this.
  6. oblueknighto

oblueknighto Blue Person

Reading List:
    Link
    That's way too introspective and arbitrary.
    It doesn't mention the partner at all or even actually finding the partner. It's purely what you imagine yourself deserving and the fact that you've realised there is a non-zero chance of you not finding a partner at all.

If you thought you deserved a rock as a partner then you have a realistic chance of finding it... anywhere on the ground. The author has such a negative perspective.

Lonelycity likes this.
  7. Exitiumm

Exitiumm Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Idk, but you may enjoy the account of soulmates in Plato’s Symposium.