Discussion [Poll] What is your ideal house like?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by lychee, Jan 2, 2020.

Tags:
?

How big of a house is your ideal home?

1. 10,000 square meters (107,600 square feet) or above

12 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. 5,000 square meters (53,800 square feet)

1 vote(s)
    1.7%
  3. 2,000 square meters (21,500 square feet)

2 vote(s)
    3.3%
  4. 1,500 square meters (16,100 square feet)

1 vote(s)
    1.7%
  5. 1,000 square meters (10,800 square feet)

6 vote(s)
    10.0%
  6. 750 square meters (8,100 square feet)

2 vote(s)
    3.3%
  7. 500 square meters (5,400 square feet)

7 vote(s)
    11.7%
  8. 400 square meters (4,300 square feet)

2 vote(s)
    3.3%
  9. 300 square meters (3,200 square feet)

2 vote(s)
    3.3%
  10. 200 square meters (2,150 square feet)

5 vote(s)
    8.3%
  11. 150 square meters (1,610 square feet)

3 vote(s)
    5.0%
  12. 100 square meters (1,080 square feet)

4 vote(s)
    6.7%
  13. 75 square meters (800 square feet)

1 vote(s)
    1.7%
  14. 50 square meters (540 square feet)

2 vote(s)
    3.3%
  15. 25 square meters (270 square feet)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  16. 10 square meters (110 square feet) or less

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  17. I'm unsure

5 vote(s)
    8.3%
  18. I do not wish to respond

5 vote(s)
    8.3%
  1. lychee

lychee [- slightly morbid fruit -] ❀[ 恋爱? ]❀

Reading List:
    Link
    Relatively simple poll. :blobtaco: I'm more interested in the answers to the questions than the poll.

The Fairy of Fortune and Prosperity appears in front of you one day and offers to give you 1 billion USD. The only condition to receiving this money is that you must get a new house, and you must design that house according to your ideal desires.

Information you must provide includes:

• How big of a house?
    • How many rooms?
    • Where is it located?
    • And anything more you can think of...

If you fail to provide enough information about your dream house, the fairy may refuse to grant you the money. Consequently, you should answer in as much detail to satisfy the fairy (or @lychee 's) curiosity!

1. What is your ideal home like?

2. Do you favor practicality or do you favor style?

3. What is the meaning of "home" to you?

4. If you had enough money to buy a house, would you buy one? Or would you prefer to rent or have some other living arrangement?

5. How important is the neighborhood to you? What kind of neighborhood would you like?

6. If you were rich (e.g. tons of money), would you still try to be frugal? For instance, a single person living in a giant palace might be "excessive" (a waste of money). Or would you live in a castle with lots of maids/houseservants just because you can?

imK, NamGi and Cutter Masterson like this.
  2. A5G_Reaper

A5G_Reaper [DCLXVI, sohyee, and iampsyx's cute imouto]

Reading List:
    Link
    It got high-end internet and PC.

Practicality.
    The place I currently live in.
    That kinda depend on a lot of thing, no? Enough to buy =/= enough to afford.
    My current one is fine.
    I'll just calculate to spend just enough to make it last my whole life.

Loni4ever and lychee like this.
  3. VesperNyan

VesperNyan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I would build an exact replica of the Joestar mansion so a blond dickhead can burn it down because he had some daddy issues resulting him in burning the family dog and attempting to kill his new brother over the family fortune. Record that and ill make billions as a reality show.

Deleted member 155674 likes this.
  4. Land of The Fallen

Land of The Fallen Hax's | Immortal

Reading List:
    Link
    Time to open up The Sims 4 and start building it :blobhero:

Loni4ever, Capsize, Matsurika and 2 others like this.
  5. Amaruna Myu

Amaruna Myu ugly squid dokja (●´∀`●)

Reading List:
    Link
    300sqm
    4~5 bedrooms excluding living room, dining room, kitchen and toilets
    some high rise fancy apartment
    marble floors, ground to ceiling windows, balcony, nice plants, a study and bedroom for me:aww:, plenty of cupboards and closet space... nice shaggy carpet in the living room, large tv, etc.
    1 a place to live in that's not too lonely because I'm not good with anything spooky
    2 I go for whatever is my taste. it's a mix of both, usually
    3 somewhere to stay in for most of my time, not feel lonely or scared
    4 I would buy a house because where I'm leaving, most houses belong to a government and have a lease of 99 years. my house is luckily, private and my dad always say private/freehold property is better so I say the same.
    5 my neighbourhood is awesome, we've been living together before I was born, and we kinda leave our keys with our neighbours jic. they also by us snacks when the travel :cookie::aww::aww:
    6 I would not spend on a big house but maybe a nice car, clothes, gadgets...
    damn, cars are really expensive in my area tho

6. Lenux

Lenux Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I like small places where I can see everything soo... A small house sounds cool enough

3 or 4 rooms, 1 needs to be secret a secret room tho

In the woods or mountains, preferably away from the citys

The secret room mentionated above is for safety purposes alone, because of that, the room can't be in the blueprint of the house, so the cops can't find it

1. A place that I feel safe and preferably a place that i wish to stay on, beyond that it would be nice for a place far from the city, a place where no one can hear if I or anyone else screamed

2. Practicality

3. The place where I can feel safe

4. Buying a house sounds nice

5. A quiet one, one that no one hears my 'guests'

6. Im a pretty frugal person and I like small places, with at least enough space to my medieval tortur-, I mean, enough space for my furniture

Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
    Loni4ever likes this.
  7. Sawanara murasaki

Sawanara murasaki Sawa the HEro-sensei

Reading List:
    Link
    1. Can be both contemporary apartment or classical(Victorian mansion) or medieval mansion.
    2. DESIGN especially interior design is my no.1 priority!!
    3. Peaceful place to rest, decorate, and do whatever we wish for in it. A special place for family gathering.
    4. Buying house is a MUST in my country but I will force the government to give me land in order for me to be able to make my own house.
    5. Nah, not really needed in my case but if I'm rich, I wish to have a humble and poor neighborhood cause this family usually have a lot of children(minimum of 5).
    6. I still live as a single person in that house BUT I'll use the money to buy abandoned children and give $10k to the parent(s) if they wish to throw away their children and even if the guardian of the child is the kidnapper of the child, I still give them money. If the government insist to give an abandoned child, I'll force them to give the child to me no matter what. So my house is a luxurious orphanage. And of course, I will have a handsome and hotties butler and many beautiful and sexy maids...so if they maids make ruckus, I'll ask my butler to take them as a punishment..:p:p

8. VeraH

VeraH eternally lazy

Reading List:
    Link
    Will I get 1 billion USD to build my ideal house if I satisfy @lychee 's curiosity? :blobReach:

:hmm:It doesn't have to be big, I'd say minimum 3 rooms (2 bedrooms each with
    en-suite, 1 study), hopefully with a spiral staircase and some really cool selection of old books in the study. As for location, landed -> cliff by the sea, otherwise a penthouse in the middle of the city also works (I have difficulty deciding whether I want a landed property or not...)
    This sounds to me like @lychee is trying to get some ideas for her new house or something...
    And this.

Both since I'll get enough money to achieve it~ (IRL? Practicality)

A place where I can return to and feel safe there, and also has a bed I can lie comfortably in

Probably still buy a house in somewhere expensive so I can resell it for greater value in the future. But a caravan sounds nice too~ Or a yacht, or, if I'm really rich and have nowhere else to spend my money, I might try and build an underwater castle~

Not important? Idk I don't interact with my neighbors all that much...

I'd live in a penthouse, in the heart of the city cuz that's how I show I'm friggin rich. Not like I can bring my money with me when I'm dead so might as well spend it for my own comfort while I'm alive~

lychee likes this.
  9. Melodious Nocturne

Melodious Nocturne [Dance, water, dance!] [My name is Demyx!]

Reading List:
    Link
  10. Miserys_End

Miserys_End 「Lv1 Pretend Person」I'm the preson i pretend to be

Reading List:
    Link

Realistic version:
    Small, a few acres of land, a large wall that goes all around and a one story house with one bedroom, two bathrooms, a livingroom and a decent sized kitchen. It would need to be self-sufficient(eg solar power, greywater filtration, ect) so that the future costs to maintain the property would be close to zero and I would only need to cover the property taxes.

Less practical:
    LoL this would be way over budget. First find a lonely hill with a great view. Close enough to civilization that I can easily get utilities, but still far enough to not have a close neighbors. Next we flatten out the top of this hill and turn it into a plateau and so that its impossible to reach the top unless you either can climb a vertical wall, fly or have access to the garage.

The garage door resembles a castle gate and large enough to admit dump trucks and motor homes. The tunnel behind the door first leads to an underground parking garage and workshop to maintain the vehicles and would continue on up to the top of the plateau. There would be three buildings ontop of the plateau.

The biggest would be the main residence with a single floor in a ranch style layout. It would be situated on the backside of the hill with the best views, a wraparound deck and an infinity pool. The rooms inside would be a large kitchen, a large living room / dining room, a theater / game room, an office / computer room, two or three guest rooms and the master bedroom.

The rest of the property has a building with be a largish aquaponics farm, for fresh food year round. And the last building would be a blacksmithy, machine shop and wood shop combined. On the backside of the hill(below the main building), halfway down would be a shelf for solar panels to keep the lights on. There would also be underground storage for water and food stuffs. Desiel thanks, backup generators, the fuel cells to store the solar energy and all the other little things I've forgotten that would be needed to be self sufficient for months at a time if needed.

Depends, if I had unlimited funds and a steady income to maintain and staff such a building, I wouldnt really hesitate to build the second home. If it's the me today, I would want something that I could live comfortably in that doesnt take much maintenance or effort to take care of and clean.

Is where your loved ones are.

4. If you had enough money to buy a house, would you buy one? Or would you prefer to rent or have some other living arrangement?

Buy. Renting may be great for those that are starting out or that dont or cant maintain their own homes, but owning your own home can save you more money in the long run. You also only have you and those you bring into your home to answer to. Meaning that blank wall that has been obstructing you for one reason or other can be turned into a door outside, a hallway to other parts of the house, or a window to let more light in.

5. How important is the neighborhood to you? What kind of neighborhood would you like?

People are nice to have around, but wife and kids excluded, I prefer to live in a quiet enenvironment. So I would prefer a more secluded area to live in with fewer people around.

6. If you were rich (e.g. tons of money), would you still try to be frugal? For instance, a single person living in a giant palace might be "excessive" (a waste of money). Or would you live in a castle with lots of maids/houseservants just because you can?

Again if it was just myself, I would prefer a more self sufficient building that's easy to clean. If it was more then just me, then it would balloon into something that could hold a couple families while still trying to maintain a somewhat self sufficient environment.

Cutter Masterson, kkgoh and lychee like this.
  11. kkgoh

kkgoh Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The forest library from "The Ancient Magus' Bride". Something about libraries is always appealing.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A lot of really rich people don't necessary live like the Indian billionaire (400+k sqft, 27-storey skyscraper). But even the more "frugal" billionaires still need big houses for status, business and entertainment purposes. Warren Buffett still lives in his old house ... which is 6000+sqft.
    The rich do like to build their own private libraries though. It's a commonly featured room in kdrama architectural film locations too.
    [​IMG]

On a side note, in real estate, the word "home" is a BIG marketing gimmick.
    People sell houses and buy homes. That's the way to up the value.
    I've been in a lot of property transactions, and I've seen a lot of people gush with emotion and become very attached to what's basically a large chunk of concrete/wood/metal.
    I'd offer a different interpretation ... home is where your family/loved ones are.

Practically speaking though, your "perfect house" is always a reflection of your current needs and wants. So your preferences will almost certainly change over time.
    If you're single or married w/o kids, you'll usually want to live in a bigger city with access to amenities and larger social circles. When you have kids, you'll want to move out to areas with better schools (typically American suburbs). When you get older, the kids leave and you downsize as empty-nesters (unless you can afford the upkeep and clean the place easily). Some people move to warmer climates (Florida), some people move back into the city to be nearer to larger healthcare systems/more accessible amenities.
    And this varies by country. In the US, people stay in their homes for <15 yrs, and the number is trending lower. In expensive places like Singapore, you could be living in your home for >20 yrs.

If you're genuinely interested in architecture, check out Houzz.com for inspiration and trends around the world, curated/voted by other human beings.

12. Loni4ever

Loni4ever The Fluffy White Wolf

Reading List:
    Link
    Hm... It should have enough space for the people living in it, whether I'm living alone or with one or multiple others. It should be warm (cozy as well as automatic heating), with lighter colors and ideally have a balcony to the south. Not sure about other stuff :hmm:

If practicality's 0 and style is 100, then I'd be at 20. Practicality's much more important to me but in case I can't stand the style of sth, I won't want it no matter how practical it is.

Good question... I guess that's sth where I feel safe and welcome, where I belong. So I guess "home" could be another person, myself, a house, a community or a multitude of other things. For me personally, "home"... :hmm: I've been living in the same house for almost 20 years and I'm not sure if I feel like I belong here. Might be cause I spent the first two years or my life in another house in another country, but there doesn't feel like home either, so it's kinda those two but also nowhere? Haha.

There's this living arrangement I heard about where people live in the same house with each person in one unit (for personal space) but they have community rooms too, where you can socialize and stuff. That sounds kinda interesting :blob_grin:
    I'm not sure if I would wanna buy a house cause then it's kinda like you're stuck in one place but when you rent, you have to ask the landlord for renovations and stuff first and can't do what you want. I'd be more likely to rent first so I can check if I like living in an area.

Not sure... I'd like if it was safe, not too noisy and had a supermarket somewhere close. And generally, the neighbours shouldn't be too bothersome for whatever reason XD but that's basically it.

I think I'd be frugal. How to say... I think big places like a giant mansion or a castle have to be filled with people to make them worthwhile. For a bigger house, you either have to have more people use it or spend more effort using more of it yourself. Living alone in a huge house is imo like setting yourself up to feel empty and lonely xD.
    If there's a place that's not used, why is it even there? I don't need stuff I don't need (lolol), so I'd live in a normal sized house~

Edit: as for the poll... hard to say cause it depends on the amount of people. I think I'd like 50-60 square meters when living alone and 30 square meters for every additional person living with me.

13. chucke

chucke Going towards the glorious future

Reading List:
    Link
    Full of electronics

Loni4ever likes this.
  14. 0000000

0000000 I B SMILING!

Reading List:
    Link
    A 50 storey's tall condominium for rent, with me living at the invisible 51st floor.
    Practicality
    Where the wifi connects and sofa to slouch on.
    Buy
    Very, cuz I detest pesky neighbours
    No, what is the point of being rich if you cannot spend on whatever you like?

15. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    This :blobcat_hyper:

Magical style... well, to be realistic and a bit honest, I like something relaxing :hmm:

Where I live currently :blob_grin:

Well, considering the house I want (the one in the link), I doubt any amount of money can build it :blobsweat_2:, but I suppose having something that you own (bought) is better than something you rent :blobunsure:
    As long as it is not a noisy or bad neighborhood then I don't mind any sort of neighborhood :hmm:

It is not a matter of being frugal but a matter of discipline (there is no need for any unnecessary expenses), I saw in lots of online videos that alot of big places are now abandoned and are rumored to be haunted (I don't want my home to be haunted :notlikeblob:), something moderate and cozy should be good enough (unless it is the house in the link then by all means I do want it :blobcat_hyper:)

Cutter Masterson likes this.
  16. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    All I ask for is a personal library. One good room just wall to wall bookshelves. Is that too much to ask?

Loni4ever likes this.
  17. ludagad

ludagad Addicted to escapist novels

Reading List:
    Link
    I want a palace. Granted I have a bunch of people to take care of it. Give me opulence any day. I love the rich lifestyle.
    [​IMG]

Cutter Masterson likes this.
  18. Fuyuneko

Fuyuneko winter cat

Reading List:
    Link
    If the fairy's requirement is that the money can only be spent on a home, I would buy/build a large one in order to rent out rooms and earn rental income =).

1. Close proximity to public transportation, grocery store and other stores, friends, fun places, etc.

2. Practicality. I would like a small space to minimize cleaning.

3. Just a place where I sleep, shower, etc. No sentimental attachment.

4. Renting so I don't have to deal with hassles of house ownership.

5. Very important. Safe and walkable neighborhood

6. I think it would be fun to have a large place and invite friends to stay there as long as they want. It would be living in a dorm with college, but nicer facility.

19. LNreader

LNreader Courting Death

Reading List:
    Link
    My dirt house in minecraft.

20. Cutter Masterson

Cutter Masterson Well-Known Super-Soldier

Reading List:
    Link
    I choose:
    10,000 square meters (107,600 square feet) or above
    The reason for this is either go big or go home.

Land:
    A valley.
    A covered bay with a deep anchorage on one side.
    A mountain with iron deposits on another side.
    Forested hills leading to sheer cliffs on next side.
    Lastly a huge plains on that side.
    Near by:
    Big navigable river.
    Railroad tracks.
    Airport.
    House:
    Will be built into a Granite mountain. The house should be designed like a half Star fortification.
    upload_2020-1-2_15-35-38.jpeg
    Have a natural spring under the fort.
    With huge hangers/ warehouses.
    A movable wall as a front entrance.
    A liquid fluoride thorium reactor for power.
    A hydroelectric dam for backup power.
    A plasma gasification for trash and waste.
    Hospital wing.
    Main family rooms.
    Guest rooms.
    Training rooms.
    School rooms.
    Cafeteria.
    Entertainment room.
    Music room.
    Art room.
    Storage.
    Garage.
    Water room.
    HVACR room.
    IT room.
    Offices.
    Conference rooms.
    Ballroom.
    Restrooms.
    Pool.
    Sports room.
    Farms.
    Workshops.
    Stores.
    Weapons vault.
    Etc.

Practically. I would like a house that’s easy to repair things. Like maintenance halls for top, bottom and back. Leave the front for normal use.

Safe place to come to.

I would build my own if possible.

No neighbors within miles.

I would like a big house with all my family around.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
    kkgoh likes this.