Discussion Japans author's obsessions with hot springs and japanese food make me violently ill

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Mount Tai Unleashed, Jan 1, 2020.

1. MagneticMagnet

MagneticMagnet Well-Known Magnet

Reading List:
    Link
    I've been wanting to write a story about a hero summon who is called to clean up the mess caused by previous, cliched JP heroes and have fun poking the templates. The heroes did their jobs nicely, but praised Japanese cooking, clothes, weapons and so forth to heavens and the world, being the backward place it is, adapted those without questioning anything.

Rice is the best! Too bad the climate and inexperience in farming rice lead to a famine when every field was converted to rice. Everyone is wearing kimonos because that's what the best clothes are! Even knights that are used to metal armor protecting them, using one million times folded katanas meant for cutting instead of their trusty lances and thrusting swords better suited for tougher skins of monsters. The heroes went to power level and got rid of basilisks near a city, hooray! Unfortunately the basilisks kept the harpy population in check and now there's swarms of harpies harassing the countryside.

Too bad I can't focus long enough to keep my attention on one story. Or write anywhere remotely decent level.

2. Anra7777

Anra7777 All powerful magic grammar hamster queen pirate.

Reading List:
    Link
    That actually sounds pretty interesting.

mir likes this.
  3. canaria23

canaria23 『  』

Reading List:
    Link
    Soy sauce is a must

4. ReadOrDie

ReadOrDie already dead

Reading List:
    Link
    Why not complain on the loli obsession though. Both cn and jpn authors.

mir and Wujigege like this.
  5. Lazriser

Lazriser Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So its not a light or web novel, but a H manga or game?

Ya mind sharing the title, O friend of mine?

6. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Fellow daoist, you should be an author yourself, correct?
    Dont you have your own go-tos/settings that you abuse?

7. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    That is why I watch the live action drama adaptations and skip the novels
    It will be illegal to put in a 13 year old actress as a love interest
    Although Liu Yifei was pretty young in Chinese Paladin even Joanne Tseng was like 15 in that too
    Born 1987 an 1988 respectively and the drama aired in 2005

8. Mount Tai Unleashed

Mount Tai Unleashed This one has tai but can't see mount eyes

Reading List:
    Link
    Not really. I'm a novice as I've only written two stories, I'm still feeling thing out.

Wujigege likes this.
  9. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    I am pretty sure such a story exists well without the Japanese bashing that you added

10. Vilidious

Vilidious Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, for comparison, what little western fantasy novels I've read, I don't remember them talking about food or hot springs in any considerable length... they focus on plot progression, action and human relations... which in turn tend to be the last priority in too many JP novels.

But that's just cultural differences for ya, I guess... maybe it's human tendency to project values of own culture on those of another one's works, and when they don't match often enough, get disappointed.

Maybe I've also read too many JP novels, and now that much of the novelty has worn off, I should just read novels that follow western quality standards instead of the JP ones with their sometimes frustrating and annoying tropes that trample on all creativity and improvement.

It's still sad, though, since I feel there's more potential in JP works, just if the authors were able to tap it.

11. MagneticMagnet

MagneticMagnet Well-Known Magnet

Reading List:
    Link
    I would love to read such a story if it does actually exist. Any ideas?

How is it bashing Japanese when the people in the wrong are the isekai folks for taking everything at face value? You know, the JP heroes being the usual obsessing about the usual things and the isekai deciding they have to do the same to become as awesome. I just don't see that being bashing.

12. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Bashing does not necessarily mean a negative.
    I am not calling you a racist
    I an meant that the novel didn't have any criticism of Japanese culture.
    Dragoon has a plot of the protagonist being different from the isekai hero that is present in the story
    Maybe under Dragoon recommendations you can find what you are looking for.
    Demon Lord stories or returning hero stories are also a good shout

13. MasterCuddler

MasterCuddler Handsome Chicken

Reading List:
    Link
    I want to see an English novel describing how delicious their buttery and creamy and salty food are, in the same way Japan does it. Going to another world, conquer the place, find ingredients, make the food, everyone magically likes it.

Miserys_End, Llamadragon, imK and 2 others like this.
  14. Kadmos1

Kadmos1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    A light novel scene where the lead guy is asked by the lead girl, a childhood, to join him and he accepts then they get it on (Shinmai-level graphic but he bangs only one girl at a time) would be something! She is the first girl of the harem to meet him, kiss him, confess to him, bang him, and to get pregnant by him (all of those). In addition, she is the bustiest of the harem girls and has the most fan service moments, including being the girl with the most chest-fondles by him but through consent each time.

15. Shadowhawkstar

Shadowhawkstar Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Wrong thread ?

Wujigege likes this.
  16. moto

moto Spam Bot

Reading List:
    Link
    It's a trend right now to gush about their culture. Food, bath houses, and their common sense.

Its popular for them and a easy way out to write about their self insert isekai trope stories.

17. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I mostly read Chinese novels nowadays and what really stands out is that Chinese novels are intensely social - everything about them is about evaluating how the different parties in a scene interact with one another. The conversations are filled with subtle dialogue and nonverbal communication and other social cues. Japanese novels on the other hand don't do this in the slightest. It might be because I just read trash isekai and fantasy novels, but these books aren't social at all. Generally speaking they just about try to bypass any social interaction in favor of what they really care about. I don't think it has anything to do with cultural differences as I suspect that this only happens with otaku novels.

Vilidious, Wujigege and mir like this.
  18. Kadmos1

Kadmos1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Also, hot springs or beach arcs are almost a requirement for a lot of harem series.

Sabruness likes this.
  19. Sabruness

Sabruness Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    I can understand hot springs because any sort of hot bath is just so relaxing.

The food thing... yeah, the whole "must haz da japanese foods is ba best in existence" can be horribly annoying at times. I think i've only read a very few isekai/reincarnation/transmigration novels where the protag wasnt anal about japanese food.

Anra7777 likes this.
  20. GotDied

GotDied Just a friendly rotten hermit~

Reading List:
    Link
    There's that cliche too, MC trying to recreate modern food, condiments or spices, even some objects. But I know there's some people that check the main ingredients of those but how many of those people know how to actually make those condiments, right? It's like if you are using sugar to season food, do you check how to make it? Most people do not, right?

GDLiZy and 0000000 like this.