Question Mushoku Tensei

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by Lothbrok, Jan 2, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Lothbrok

Lothbrok Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hello people. I'm at the end of volume 3 of Mushoku Tensei and I'm having trouble continuing. Don't get me wrong, the story is fun, but I'm getting bored reading it. First of all, I'm not liking Rudeus very much, he doesn't trust himself very much and is a little cowardly. Of course, I can understand that by taking into account his personality in your previous life. It will have some character development, right? OK. My biggest problem is finding the progress of the story too boring, can anyone tell me what volume the story is getting good at?

2. Fahmfir

Fahmfir Beginner Town NPC

Reading List:
    Link
    Rudeus is always coward
    Maybe the story getting good at young man period

3. Kurotsubaki

Kurotsubaki Reincarnation of the Seven Deadly Sins

Reading List:
    Link
    What i like about Rudeus is his character development.

4. oblueknighto

oblueknighto Blue Person

Reading List:
    Link
    Yea he’ll always be a coward but he’ll start to do more courageous things as his family grows and he finally makes friends. He will have more to protect and he will actually want to do things. He actually suffers loss and gets depressed when he fails something unlike most protagonists who just power through or goes full on REVENGE mode. His powers will also grow but more in variety and skill than straight up power so it becomes more interesting to read the fights.

Honestly not much has happened up to volume 3 so I’m not surprised you’re bored.

kenar, ali3rd, Chiiiiiiiii and 4 others like this.
  5. Gin_Hindew

Gin_Hindew Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    when asking this kind of questions its important to specify what exactly are you looking for, because the term "Gets good" can have a very varied meaning

6. Pau

Pau Useless Hamster

Reading List:
    Link
    Dont worry, he'll get better in the later story. He will grow up.

Mushoku Tensei have good plot. I like the world building in this story.

Maybe you will find it more interesting in his juvenile period.

fati fleur, Tanskandoggi and anon like this.
  7. Lothbrok

Reading List:
    Link
    I think my problem is dialogs, which bother me for always using formal language, you know? It is as if the conversations were unnatural.
    But to make it better, for me it would be when there was more action and fighting, the story progressing a little faster.
    Or something happens that makes you yearn for the next chapter, things like that. For me, so far, Mushoku Tensei makes me laugh a little here and there, but that doesn't leave me with that exciting feeling of reading.

8. anon

anon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I forget vol. 3 Whats the summary so far?
    Edit: I just looked it up. yeah that volume wasnt my favorite. I'd say I got a little bored until he made it back to his homeland. Still good world building and character development, but yeah Rude stays cowardly for the entire story. He does show courage when defending others though. Personally I love his young adult arc. Unfortunately Rude never is an alpha. A similar story that does have an alpha main character is the beginning after the end. would definitely recommend that and mushoku tensei in the the same breath.

Pau and Lothbrok like this.
  9. Eldau

Eldau And now for something completely different

Reading List:
    Link
    Cover of volume 3 has Ruijerd, Eris, and Rudeus, so it's when they arrive at the Demon Continent and they travel through.

So I can certainly see why it comes across as boring, as at this stage I'd call Rudeus a perverted no good lolicon. He hasn't truly started to develop yet, it's coming, but not quite yet.

anon likes this.
  10. anon

anon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    right what i was thinking.

11. Lazriser

Lazriser Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Think of the novel as a biography of our protagonist from childhood to death. Its going to include every detail happening to his life, excluding those only readable in side stories. The whole web novel is another world slice of life with real consequences and little to no plot armor at all. The world building is well done in a sense as its a JP novel, and the characters aren't 1 dimensional stereotypes, except for some OP characters as it is a sword and magic fantasy setting.

12. MonkeDanana

MonkeDanana Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't think you will like if already read 3 volumes and still don't enjoy it. Either dropped it or continue reading it but I doubt it will be amazing for you if you didn't enjoy the first 3 volumes.

Lothbrok likes this.
  13. Lothbrok

Reading List:
    Link
    Rudeus is teleported to the magical continent with Eris, he meets the Human God in a dream, etc. Rudeus also encounters a Supard race and they become companions, so they start an adventure and join an Adventurer Guild.

14. kuroAnsatsu

kuroAnsatsu Realistically Stoic

Reading List:
    Link
    Well you can't expect much from Vol 3, it's only the start of the real plot.

Plus, maybe you had already read some generic isekai which make you fed up with those pattern. For some people (including me), it was one of the very first isekai novel to read so we could enjoy the progressions and characters development, so it gave us a special impression of this novel.
    Or maybe it's just not your cup of tea, I don't know, if you can bear with it, hang on, if you can't, don't force yourself. It's up to you buddy

anon likes this.
  15. anon

anon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    yeah that was one of my first isekai's too.

kuroAnsatsu likes this.
  16. Lothbrok

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks everyone for the answer, I think I will abandon this. Seems not to be my cup of tea ☺

17. MonkeDanana

MonkeDanana Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My experience is if you don't enjoy the beginning, you probably won't enjoy the rest of the story. Of course, there are rare cases where a story gets better in the middle. But if you don't enjoy the beginning, you will probably only feel okay if the story gets better in the middle. And it is a very rare case where novel gets better in the middle. Most of them stayed the same or got worse.

Lothbrok likes this.
  18. anon

anon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    what about the upcoming anime?

19. Lothbrok

Reading List:
    Link
    I
    don't know about the anime.

20. Kurotsubaki

Kurotsubaki Reincarnation of the Seven Deadly Sins

Reading List:
    Link
    Dude, you don't read mushoku tensei for battle excitement as it is more like a slice of life in different world. It have quite some battle here and there as it is a different world with monsters, dungeon and such but don't expect it to be the main part

kenar, Pau and anon like this.