Discussion [Poll] What is your ideal house like?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by lychee, Jan 2, 2020.

Tags:
?

How big of a house is your ideal home?

1. 10,000 square meters (107,600 square feet) or above

12 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. 5,000 square meters (53,800 square feet)

1 vote(s)
    1.7%
  3. 2,000 square meters (21,500 square feet)

2 vote(s)
    3.3%
  4. 1,500 square meters (16,100 square feet)

1 vote(s)
    1.7%
  5. 1,000 square meters (10,800 square feet)

6 vote(s)
    10.0%
  6. 750 square meters (8,100 square feet)

2 vote(s)
    3.3%
  7. 500 square meters (5,400 square feet)

7 vote(s)
    11.7%
  8. 400 square meters (4,300 square feet)

2 vote(s)
    3.3%
  9. 300 square meters (3,200 square feet)

2 vote(s)
    3.3%
  10. 200 square meters (2,150 square feet)

5 vote(s)
    8.3%
  11. 150 square meters (1,610 square feet)

3 vote(s)
    5.0%
  12. 100 square meters (1,080 square feet)

4 vote(s)
    6.7%
  13. 75 square meters (800 square feet)

1 vote(s)
    1.7%
  14. 50 square meters (540 square feet)

2 vote(s)
    3.3%
  15. 25 square meters (270 square feet)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  16. 10 square meters (110 square feet) or less

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  17. I'm unsure

5 vote(s)
    8.3%
  18. I do not wish to respond

5 vote(s)
    8.3%
  1. CathyNguyen377

CathyNguyen377 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1. What is your ideal home like?
    I’ve always dreamed of having a pool but a hot tub would be good enough. Lots of space to invite friends over too
    2. Do you favor practicality or do you favor style?
    Style
    3. What is the meaning of "home" to you?
    A place where I feel comfortable in with my family.
    4. If you had enough money to buy a house, would you buy one? Or would you prefer to rent or have some other living arrangement?
    Buying my own house would be good so I can decorate it however I want and I can keep it forever too.
    5. How important is the neighborhood to you? What kind of neighborhood would you like?
    A relatively safe neighbourhood with children for when I have children so they can play together.
    6. If you were rich (e.g. tons of money), would you still try to be frugal? For instance, a single person living in a giant palace might be "excessive" (a waste of money). Or would you live in a castle with lots of maids/houseservants just because you can?
    I think I’d just buy tools to make my life easier e.g dishwasher, roomba and hire a housekeeper every week or so to help me. If I have kids it isn’t good to spoil them too much so that they grow arrogant and lazy.

imK likes this.
  2. starwarscards

starwarscards Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I am 29 and have 3 other siblings that are around that as well as my parents and we all live together. Not because we have to but because we want to. As such I would want lots of bedrooms thinking about 10 so if my siblings (or me I guess too) start having kids they would not have to move out. would want each bedroom to either be separated a little or well soundproofed as we don't all work the same shifts at work (also some ppl are married...). Each bedroom would have a bathroom and additional elsewhere for when we have people over. A large kitchen for all our cooking exploration that we do regularly. Ample dinning area so we could have room for extra tables for when we throw parties. A spacious living room for all our computers we have and for when we watch movies together. A room for my mother's sewing hobby. Room outside for a garden to grow vegetables. Oh and here is some boring stuff... solar power and geothermal for cheaper upkeep.

I don't really care but I know that my family likes style so I would go that way for them.

Family

4. If you had enough money to buy a house, would you buy one? Or would you prefer to rent or have some other living arrangement?
    If I was going to live by myself would rather rent. As how we live now though if we moved out together... well we are currently talking about it as we want to be prepared for when my father retires so not sure.

5. How important is the neighborhood to you? What kind of neighborhood would you like?
    One that is not to in middle of nowhere and neighbors that are friendly but stay mostly to themselves.

6. If you were rich (e.g. tons of money), would you still try to be frugal? For instance, a single person living in a giant palace might be "excessive" (a waste of money). Or would you live in a castle with lots of maids/houseservants just because you can?
    Frugal but not too much. I would not change to much how I live now. The main thing I would do, as long as it was enough money, is quit my job and spend more time on things I enjoy like spending time with my family, reading, playing computer games and other stuff. The only person that I might pay for would be a maid as cleaning sucks but like I said would rather quit my job and have to clean before having to keep my job just so I don't have to clean.

3. simak

simak Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    A Hobbit hole with electronics and a libarary.

imK likes this.
  4. starwarscards

starwarscards Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hot tubs are annoying to do the chemicals for if you are not getting it for sitting in with friends a large bathtub with jets is much more enjoyable for 1~2 people as you can just drain it at the end.

5. ExcitableFoci

ExcitableFoci Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1. Small, homely and practical. So it would have to be in the smaller side. Around 100 to 150 square meters. Anything bigger than that would be hard to be kept clean.

2. Practicality but with style. A small house, but decorated with little but tasteful furniture/decoration.

3. The place my belonging are located. As someone who comes from a rather cold family I never really saw the fat point japanese MCs put to their homes to have someone to welcome them or the place their " companions " are located at.

4. Yes.

5. A quiet one

6. Nah.

imK likes this.
  6. lichdeath

lichdeath undead meatbun ^^

Reading List:
    Link
    well with that 1 billion id build myself a spacehouse (cuz it has to be a house duh) in a metal asteroid that id make fly in orbit around earth
    id obviously order it since i dunno how i could even build one
    well 10000 square meters isnt that much considering an asteroid is several km wide

1: first it needs to spin at the right speed so that it mimics earth gravity
    besides that i obviously want a nice view on earth
    water recycling and a space farm should be there too
    a space shuttle entry port with a space shuttle in it so i can leave whenever i want
    radiation shielding comfy living quarters
    ... and some other stuuff i havent tought about

2 practicality

3 my home is a place where i rule and co do anything i want in peace and tranquility

4 id buy a hydrogen truck and refurbish it into a nice movable house

5 neighbors? you mean those things you shoot at to get them of your lawn?

6 id definitly get a lot "maids" if you get what i mean *wink wink*

imK likes this.
  7. drealicious

drealicious Macho man's wifey

Reading List:
    Link
    My dream house needs 4 bedrooms, one office space, spacious kitchen, about 2 bathrooms and a backyard/garden. The living room should open to the backyard for more space. I have a big family and we always have something to celebrate.

Practicality. Everything should have its own place and can be used.

Same - Family

Yes, I would definitely buy one.

Safe and accessible.

I'd hate to be excessive. I would prefer for my home to be functional and its a no-no if its too large. Butler would be cool but I doubt I will get one haha. I would hire for maintenance though.

8. VBS

VBS Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    500 square meters (5,400 square feet)+ would be adequate.
    But bigger is still better - I'd live in a palace if I could.
    10,000 square meters (107,600 square feet) or above sounds nice.

---

Big, with plenty of room to do whatever the fuck I want and plenty of land to keep me the fuck away from my neighbors.

Practicality comes first. Then add as much style as possible without giving up practicality.

A place where I can chill out and do whatever the fuck I want.

Buy. Even if I don't have enough money, I'm buying one anyway - I'd rather pay a mortgage than rent. That way I'm paying off my own home, not someone else's.

HOA fucks things up. I want to be in NO neighborhood - on my own lot with a big enough buffer to keep the neighbors far away.

I'd live in a massive castle and hire enough staff to keep it clean. Then I'd have a bunch of smaller residences all over the world.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
    Cutter Masterson likes this.
  9. NamGi

NamGi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I wouldn't be frugal. I'd rather spend my money on things that are actually needed and for my entertainment. For example, daily necessities and expensive pc for gaming I guess.

10. Stormaggeddon

Stormaggeddon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Denali XL. 500ft or less.youtube it under tiny homes. it's a fifth-wheel trailer home. all i need. hitch it up and go.

imK and Cutter Masterson like this.
  11. Cutter Masterson

Cutter Masterson Well-Known Super-Soldier

Reading List:
    Link
    Don’t hold back your feelings. Lol.

12. SerialBeggar

SerialBeggar Hate your family? Got no friends? Gimme your stuff

Reading List:
    Link
    I already own 2 houses, kinda. I paid off my parent's house and I bought my own house (still paying its mortgage). That said, I'm not satisfied with these houses and the associated property. I settled for them based primarily because they were affordable and secondarily, because they were close to public transportation for commuting to work and to a supermarket that I could walk to.

As for my fantasy ideal home, it's complicated. While I would like multi-acreage of land and castle like features and rampart walls around the house, I also don't want to live out in the boonies and off the grid, ie I still want to be connected to commercial power and the public water and sewage system. I expect that I would put up solar (and perhaps wind turbines if the location had decent wind) anyway, but I still want the security of regular utilities. And of course, like A5G-Reaper said, access to good internet (like Verizon FIOS). Normally none of these things are possible if you're looking at an area with multi-acreage available for sale. Of course, if I had fantasy money, I could persuade the companies and the city to build out their system to reach the property. although, I would still probably need to wait a year or two before I could finally hook up.

My main issue with with living in a large house and with large property is that, there will inherently be a lot of maintenance work. More rooms means more rooms to be cleaned and I'm lazy, I've accepted that about myself. A large yard needs more mowing and large wooded areas needs to be regularly checked for trespassers/squatters or that someone hasn't been dumping their trash at the edge of my property. After actually living by myself for a while, I come to accept that I like the hermit life and I'd rather not have a bunch of (non-family) people coming and going in and around the house. So even if for fantasy-sake that I have a lot of money, I'd still hesitate to consider hiring a maintenance crew or security team, it'd be like living in a resort hotel.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
    imK and Cutter Masterson like this.
  13. Cutter Masterson

Cutter Masterson Well-Known Super-Soldier

Reading List:
    Link
    When I was reading you reply. I could not help but remember one of my favorite incomplete novels.
    Have you read:
    https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/3972/the-defective-hermit

14. SerialBeggar

SerialBeggar Hate your family? Got no friends? Gimme your stuff

Reading List:
    Link
    I'll read that next. Interestingly, I do own 40 acres of land, prime desert waste land, though. :blobpeek: I bought it off eBay back when I had disposable income to throw around.

imK likes this.
  15. imK

imK Artful Dodger

Reading List:
    Link
    Practical, reasonably defensible, self-sufficient, aesthetically harmonious with its surroundings. Must be fully functional with or without electricity and all mod-cons. Natural resources with fertile soil, private water sources, native bush and not further than a few kilometers walk from the ocean. So basically, my family's land.

Both. Practicality more so.

Where my loved ones are and my Tūrangawaewae.

At the moment I'm renting an apartment and it has everything I need. I'm currently in the process of helping my siblings to build homes for them and their children. I'm putting off building my own home for a while. I'll be going away next year and it can wait until I return. No rush.

The environment is important if that counts. I like to be able to live off the land.

6. If you were rich (e.g. tons of money), would you still try to be frugal? For instance, a single person living in a giant palace might be "excessive" (a waste of money). Or would you live in a castle with lots of maids/house servants just because you can?

I'm neither excessively frugal nor extravagant. I tend towards maximizing use and minimizing waste because it's the underpinning of my entire culture and how I was raised. Excess money not earmarked for investments goes towards the trusts to enable family members and close friends the ability to help themselves to improve their lives. Mostly through interest free education and apprenticeship loans.