Question Lord of Mysteries: How much time is spent NOT on MC?

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by Karyehs, Jan 5, 2020.

1. Karyehs

Karyehs Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't particular like many PoV's outside of the MC. A little of them is necessary, but I simply almost never can't be bothered to read much of them...

But I read it until chapter 8 and I can already see that the cast will be huge... with long chapters from other PoV's...

But who knows... I hope one of you, that's why I am asking here:

How much of the novel is NOT from the MCs (Klein, Muzoshin or whatever his china-name was) perspective?

Like 5% of the novel? 10%? 20%? 50%?

Thank you in advance.

2. Elkon

Elkon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This is a little bit tricky as while like a solid 5-10% of the book is other characters POV, it doesn't feel like it. The author does a fantastic job with the POV's in that they all feel like they naturally link. It is also further complicated by the fact that 90% of the other POV chapters have Klein in it in some manner. I understand how you feel as I feel the same way, but let me tell you that apart from a couple you will barely notice as all of them move the plot and develops the characters.

3. Monsape

Monsape Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Probably around 10-15% of the novel.

And what Elkon said.

All the Pov's are in someway or the other related to story building and world building which make you anticipate how the plot proceeds.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
  4. Karyehs

Reading List:
    Link
  5. perspherspley

perspherspley IZ*ONE

Reading List:
    Link
    Don't believe some reviews about it from him, he posted his review back in February when the total chapters are not even 1000(750+ chapters were out during that time) and he said that he read a total of 1100 chapters.

Karyehs likes this.
  6. xchronicles

xchronicles Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Reading it at early chapters may seem fillers, I was annoyed at it at first too but you will come to love them. Very fleshed out side characters that they do not seem like 'side'

If you ever get bored remember to hold on until chapter 213 (End of Volume 1 but volume 2 in translations). If even after that you still have to drop it, must be not to your taste then.

Karyehs likes this.
  7. Karyehs

Reading List:
    Link
    Interesting. But his review still looks pretty indepth, even if he says at the end that he'd recommends to read it. Maybe he read the raws or MTL? :p

I can't imagine that I will love them, but maybe I get surprised. ;)
    Can you tell me when you stopped being annoyed?

Chapter 213 sounds like it will consume most of my free time for like 2 weeks, since I will be pretty busy again soon.

8. perspherspley

perspherspley IZ*ONE

Reading List:
    Link
    Translated Chapters back in February are in the 90s+ while the raws are in the 750s+ and I am talking about the raw by the way since I read raws back then.

Karyehs likes this.
  9. Ratatoskr

Ratatoskr [Aruruu's proud dad] [The False Gentleman]

Reading List:
    Link
    Like normal rpg, not much is going on in the beginners village. Untill you killed the first boss and journey to other town, thats when the adventure starts. For lord of mysteries, its the end of book 1. For death stranding, its chapter 4.

10. xchronicles

xchronicles Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    And I just read that man's review honestly I don't know how could he write those things after reading up to 1100.

Klein moretti is not a hypocrite as much as he wrote to be. Gosh I don't even know how he even made connections of being a hypocrite about him killing evils and his faith to Goddess (supposed to destroy a whole clan), well I'm absolutely worst at wording out a thought but if you read it will seem ridiculous.

Audrey Hall- She's not even a main character and yeah she's naive, rich, seem silly but she grows. Well why do you expect a character who grow up in a greenhouse and rich to be some expert? I don't even get why specifically target her when other side character (tarot members) also conveniently get what they want when in need. Heck she's not even a main character.

Stupid rule- seriously. Read up to 1100 and still said Villains are always Villains?

One thing I learned from NU is never trust a review no matter how much smart or convincing it seems and likes it gets. Never read negative thing about the book cuz it destroys my reading experience and all I think is the bad side as said in the reviews.

Judge it yourself.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2020
    1qu667 and Karyehs like this.
  11. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    LoTM is definitely one of the better novels you can find listed on Novel Updates. It may not be to everyone's taste - after all, we each enjoy different things. But no one can deny that it stands out in terms of quality. If you're on the fence about reading it, I'll throw in my recommendation as well. It's absolutely worth a shot.

Side PoVs are usually on the shorter side, and Klein's own PoV is in pretty much every chapter. I can't be completely certain, but I don't think I read a single chapter up to the current translation that was entirely side character PoV. If there are any, they're extremely rare, and shouldn't really cause you any frustration. I say this as someone who also dislikes having a novel move off the MC for awhile, no matter how good the other characters are.

1qu667 and Karyehs like this.
  12. oblueknighto

oblueknighto Blue Person

Reading List:
    Link
    Read up to 800. It's around 10%. A lot of that 10 % are chapters with mixed perspectives though so it's not bad. There are chapters which have up to 5 characters perspectives.

Klein is in most of the chapters even if it's not his perspective so the story never really strays from him. Honestly, I really like the other perspectives and I look forward to learning more about the other characters because Klein himself relies heavily on them for information and doing stuff.

Definitely worth the read. The translation is very good and the pace at which they release chapters is quite good too.

Monsape and Karyehs like this.
  13. SleepyFox

SleepyFox Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't do it very often, but I've reported that review. It's just nonsense. The spoilers are made up.

I can't believe there's someone actually so bored to write something like that. I mean, there are so many things we can do for entertainment, but this guy decided to write fanfic in a review :|

Lord of the Mysteries is an excellent novel. If I could recommend only 1 book, it would LotM.

Karyehs, 1qu667 and Monsape like this.
  14. Monsape

Monsape Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The first volume is mostly world building and fleshing of characters and frame work for the story although the author has included much story in it. The world building never stops throughout the story to be honest, it keeps the story interesting all the time.

This is one of the best novels ever made, a unique cultivation and a unique approach.

Karyehs likes this.
  15. Night Ghost

Night Ghost Well-Known Ghost Member

Reading List:
    Link
    dear @perspherspley, I always update my reviews and rating according to how far I read the novels. yes I made my reviews when chapter was still 700s, but I updated it after
    Klein planned to sabotage the king's plan to become dark emperor and ruined adam's plan.
    . you made it sound like I was a hypocrite and a liar which I dislike so much.

@Karyehs I rated it 5 stars before vol 5 : red priest. after vol.5, I just can't stand klein anymore and dropped it. but you have to know that my reviews are heavily influenced by my taste and preference so I highly recommend you to read it first. the storyline is one of the best you find here, no doubt about it.

Fulminata and Karyehs like this.
  16. Night Ghost

Night Ghost Well-Known Ghost Member

Reading List:
    Link
    is it that hard for you to accept that other people have different opinion about the novel that you like so much ? please stop antagonizing some people who have different opinion.
    I didn't write fanfic. but if that's how you see it, so be it.

17. burntpotato

burntpotato Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Look at those people above losing control~. OP’s question is already answered so I’ll just asked OP for his feedback and how far are you already...

18. perspherspley

perspherspley IZ*ONE

Reading List:
    Link
    You should have maybe add edited to your review so as to avoid misunderstanding.

19. Karyehs

Reading List:
    Link
    I am at chapter 72 now and it's different from what I expected after chapter 7-8. Way less PoV changes than I feared. It's pretty interesting, though at times there are the usual info dumps that CN novels have.

At times I am torn between being annoyed of very slow plot continuation and pleased by pretty realistic considerations most post-puberty modern day humans (keyboard warriors) would have when they encounter a weird situation.

It's kinda human to make pro & con lists and reflect your decisions, instead of stuff that other CN protagonists do... I can totally imagine that modern humans would create a spreadsheet on paper in such a situation. It's nice, but at times a little drawn out.

I just dislike the currency system. I know that it's based on a real system, but I am used to a linear and metric-currency system (1-100) and it feels stupid to actively calculate (and remember) in this currency... especially if stuff like "quarterpence" or "halfpence" stuff is being used.

20. SamStrike

SamStrike Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    For what reason did you drop it at that volume? I am around chp 600 but I don't know if I want to continue reading something that I will likely dislike later oin