Discussion Do u get better at life?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by leo.d., Jan 6, 2020.

1. leo.d.

leo.d. Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I know it’s dumb but I use to believe that as I grow older, I’ll get my shit together. I’ll figure out what do with my major. I’ll be able to balance school, clubs, friends and family. I’ll find that person. But as my life gets busier and busier, it seems like I’m just stretching myself thin and being worst as more things. I look up to my upperclassmen because they seem to have their shit together; friends, clubs, internship, projects and research. Of course I know everyone is putting on facade but I really want the dream to be true. So what do you guys believe? Are you getting your shit together? Is it all a lie? Am I dumb for asking this here? I know this might not be the best place but whatever.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
    orematcha, Aquaa, imK and 10 others like this.
  2. Kurotsubaki

Kurotsubaki Reincarnation of the Seven Deadly Sins

Reading List:
    Link
    There's no such thing as getting better at life.
    You just got more experienced in handling all those shit

orematcha, Aquaa, asriu and 11 others like this.
  3. VeraH

VeraH eternally lazy

Reading List:
    Link
    I like to believe that the people who "got their shit together" are all 60 and above and have done most of what life has demanded them to do.

That, and babies.

orematcha, Aquaa, imK and 7 others like this.
  4. Heimdallr

Heimdallr [I-don't-know-what-to-write-here]

Reading List:
    Link
    I am 20 and i don't have my shit together, never had had probably never will. I don't mind as i never met a person who has. Your problems will dissapear but new ones will come in their stead. I guess you just kinda learn to live with it.

Aquaa, Blankdom, blues86 and 2 others like this.
  5. SenjiQ

SenjiQ [Wise, for a Bird]

Reading List:
    Link
    You get better at life as you go along... but the difficulty curve kicks in at the same time so it feels like you're going backwards

Aquaa, blues86, Diametric and 6 others like this.
  6. DesuDiem

DesuDiem Surviving College

Reading List:
    Link
    It doesnt matter. At the end everything you do is meaningless(My opinion). Just find a way to survive throught it.

kyoshijiro likes this.
  7. leo.d.

leo.d. Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I mean in terms of absolute everything, everything you do is meaningless but we don’t live in the absolute. Maybe it doesn’t having meaning but I have at the very least a purpose and a change I must make for myself and my family. If there was no meaning or no purpose, I will find myself back in a situation where I wonder why try so hard to survive.

Blankdom and kyoshijiro like this.
  8. Juju48

Juju48 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I believe the sign of a good adult is one that knows their limitations and accepts them most of the time. And on very rare occasions when it’s very important, they implement workarounds to handle a bit more. But only for a little bit, then they return to their usual limits.

blues86, Loni4ever, kenar and 3 others like this.
  9. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Appearances can be deceiving.
    I doubt that your upperclassmen have their shit together. It just looks that way.

Contentment is key. Don't be greedy.
    You say you are stretching yourself thin, then reduce the amount of relationships and commitments that you have.

You are like a dude dating 7 girls from 7 continents who flies to meet them every week.

Happy New Year.
    Cheers!

10. draw2much

draw2much Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My husband is nearing 40. He's had younger coworkers ask him how he's so... chill about everything. We both laughed. My husband isn't chill. But you know what he is? Experienced. The things that freak out the younger guys have happened to him so often they don't bother him at all anymore.

Most adults are like that. They've just been through so much that what bothers them is a totally different set of things than what bother younger people.

Personally, I think people who "life" better have mastered two skills:

1) Time management. It's not that they don't "waste time", they just know WHEN to waste it.
    2) Viewing failure and disappointment as moments to learn from rather than define them.

Not that either of those are easy or anything. They also aren't bound by age either. I've just noticed that as a trend among people who just... Got things together.

Aquaa, asriu, blues86 and 12 others like this.
  11. Meloonseed

Meloonseed sobble

Reading List:
    Link
    May not be best to ask from people who read web novels. We’re pretty much all here to escape from real life lol.

As draw2much says, yeah. Time management is huge. Kinda hard when you’re reading a really exciting adventure novel hehe. I’m only reading because it’s currently winter break for me, if I were to read on school days... just gonna let you know, these days I’m staying up until 4 binging on novels. Not good at all, but I on most days I can wake up at 12 so whatever.

Oh, and I’ve noticed that you handle things better with quality sleep. When I was in middle school, I thought I’d be fine with 2-5 hours of sleep a day. Yeah no. I spent every free hour sleeping. English class was just me conking out. Grades dropped, friends lost. Not a good time. Sleep at least 7 hours a day in a chunk. Preferably 8.

imK, blues86, Wujigege and 1 other person like this.
  12. Diametric

Diametric Waifu Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    I like this video

imK, mir and 25th bamm like this.
  13. aegis062

aegis062 Chaotic Demon Emperor

Reading List:
    Link
    Life has no short cuts and many pitfalls there is no getting good at life there is only good decision, bad decisions and situations that come from random occurrences.

things that are important to a kid are silly to a teen and things that are important to a teen are silly to an adult. while there are no easy paths there are things that one needs to be aware of like making decision and planning can easily help make life easier just know that plans don't actually always work out, but serve as a goal point.

imK, blues86 and Loni4ever like this.
  14. Vilidious

Vilidious Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think in the long run one can be competent in only things he/she does.

Everything else, not so much... especially after enough time has passed from last time they were done.

If one wants to be also good/better at what they do, they have to go the extra mile to improve.

As such, as has been mentioned in earlier posts, how you priorise your time and on what becomes key.

If you're like me and mostly consume entertainment on your free time, then of course correspondingly your life skills will be negligible.

blues86, mir, Loni4ever and 3 others like this.
  15. Bad Storm

Bad Storm no thought, head empty

Reading List:
    Link
    Life is more of a slippery slope really...

16. Lazriser

Lazriser Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Oi! Young blood! Why go better when you can instead go worse?

felidormit, imK and Loni4ever like this.
  17. Loni4ever

Loni4ever The Fluffy White Wolf

Reading List:
    Link
    :blobalert::blobalert::blobalert::blobalert::blobalert::blobalert::blobalert::blobalert::blobalert:

lmao this just :blobjoy::blobjoy:

imK likes this.
  18. Diametric

Diametric Waifu Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    This is why I think gap years are a good idea if you have the chance. The difficulty curve gets put on pause while you catch up a bit in skill.

imK, blues86 and Loni4ever like this.
  19. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    You certainly learn more as you grow older. Unfortunately, the interest on your debts also grow as you grow older. Every mistake that you did in your youth don't just disappear, they add up with other mistakes you make. Therefore, the difficulty scales up as you learned.

If you get 20xp a day from working your ass off, you can consider that the difficulty level also increases by a certain factor, denying you a breezy walkthrough on life. People say it makes life challenging, but Ai-chan prefers if the easy mode remains an easy mode as Ai-chan's xp increases. Why must Ai-chan's difficulty increase when Ai-chan's attributes decrease? This is totally unfair.

God is a terrible game designer. Ai-chan wants a refund. Unfortunately, God is like EA.

kenar, felidormit, Snowbun and 2 others like this.
  20. Femme Fatale

Femme Fatale | Sublime Goddess Of Chance |

Reading List:
    Link
    It's a lie. I'm an older female, career, family, children, traveled, etc...I'm always playing catch up. My life is nuts, and yet, it tends to work out...but it's stressful and wonderful at the same time. To be honest, I'm always full of wonder that I don't wear my underwear over my clothes most days. ^.^

My advice, do what is best for your happiness. Learn to accept you aren't perfect. Learn from your mistakes. Be humble. Be Gracious. Try to be content with your lot while accepting that good things can still come to you and that if you decide on a course of action, you are unstoppable. I tell myself that in the mirror every morning and my reflection seldom laughs back at me. :blob_grin::blob_grin::blob_grin:

kenar, Loni4ever, imK and 2 others like this.