What would you do in an isekai? (Your knowledge/skills)

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Zoena, Aug 13, 2019.

1. Catbook

Catbook Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well in fort place agriculture is a thing, ways of cultivation would probably safe my life if I have to star from zero.
    How to plow a land and make it livable is not easy . You have to have a irrigation system and water wells are very helpful but it would be more probable to make it like ancient Egypt and create a system of channels to regulate water levels.
    My basic math is not so good for construction but normalk i have enough . For example candles can be sold , and food too...
    A water plumping system would be nice too...

imK likes this.
  2. MrSplashy

MrSplashy Grey Knight

Reading List:
    Link
    All I know is that Glass is made from Sand, making a bicycle, and if I can have magic I guess I can improve my magic using chemistry and physics. Also, Agriculture considering the fact that my family used to own a Farm and I used to go out and help the Farmers that rent it.

3. Kadmos1

Kadmos1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Assuming it was the busty childhood friend who came with me, I would have my way with her (consensual kissing, banging, and confessing) before doing the same to the other girls.

imK and Gin_Hindew like this.
  4. JuuHachi

JuuHachi Be My Glucose Guardian

Reading List:
    Link
    I want to live in a secluded forest, be the resident witch (rumored) and cryptid (less rumored) do light farming and not deal with society that's it. That's the ideal world

5. lychee

lychee [- slightly morbid fruit -] ❀[ 恋爱? ]❀

Reading List:
    Link
    I don’t really think I have much skills that are particularly noteworthy. Just a hodgepodge of lots of random things.

I’m in medical school and I could tell you a lot about physiology, but modern internal medicine training is geared heavily towards modern diagnostic methods, medications, and treatments — the absence of these in an isekai setting would make most Western physicians feel quite powerless. Many qualitative subjective physical exams skills have deteriorated in the past decades in favor of objective laboratory data — meaning that physicians in third world countries that are more poorly resourced often have better physical exam skills (e.g. “look at the discoloration of the tongue!”) than doctors in the top Western hospital. Additionally, most Western clinical practice has moved away from traditional/cheaper/simpler drugs (e.g. ether or halothane for anesthesia) in favor of newer medications that are much safer to administer.

I like to read about primitive technology as a hobby but it’s not anything that is particularly remarkable. I’m aware of many pitfalls that many casual isekai authors aren’t familiar with — such as the shrinkage/warping of wood as it dries, that smelting ore takes a lot more charcoal than you might imagine and is generally horribly inefficient with large amounts of slag, as well as basic principles of economics including opportunity cost.

I made a bow once — which was functional in the sense that it worked and could shoot fairly far — but the draw weight on it was probably no greater than 15-20 pounds, which probably isn’t enough to penetrate the hide of large game. I would seriously doubt the ability of casual hobbyists to craft a hunting bow with backyard materials capable of taking down large game with little/no experience in this area.

There’s a lot of random things like this...

imK and kkgoh like this.
  6. Kadmos1

Kadmos1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    They should make an isekai whose Eng. title is something along the lines of "Is This Guy in An Isekai?"

missycin likes this.
  7. Alice In Novelland

Alice In Novelland Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'd be pretty useless in all those taking revenge stories. My intelligence is a solid 3/100 and I feel so bad lying to people I get stomach aches...

imK and Gin_Hindew like this.
  8. satoshi1

satoshi1 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You can do a lot with chemistry. Make drugs, make bombs, make plastics.

9. Mnotia

Mnotia The Trash Man

Reading List:
    Link
    I know how to make cocaine, met, penicillin, bread, a knife, glass, and Im a registered pharmacy tech.

I can also pee really far.

imK likes this.
  10. Fuwafuwakid

Fuwafuwakid [HIGH-CLASS POTATO] [BAMBOO MUNCHER]

Reading List:
    Link
    Start a great war and watch ot from the sidelines

imK likes this.
  11. kkgoh

kkgoh Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    One of these guys is you, isn't it?

[​IMG]

imK and Deleted member 155674 like this.
  12. Fire Tiger

Fire Tiger Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I know enough microbiology that I could produce some basic antibiotics. Harvesting penicillin from fungi isn't that hard. Outside of that I don't think I could do much other than some basic guidance to develop scientific research. I know about a lot of things, but not to the point that I could be an expert in any of them. But I could guide others to start on the right path so that they could get the rest of the way on their own.

imK likes this.
  13. ItchyBookWorm

ItchyBookWorm Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm a licensed psychometrician but statistics probably can't do (even though I don't know much). Probably a life counselor. Haha.

14. ryosuke08

ryosuke08 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Probably use my knowledge somehow and train in blacksmithing to build modern tools to gain some money contract adventurers to get me rare materials.

15. eklok14

eklok14 Lvl 20 Corporate Slave

Reading List:
    Link
    I'd dire, really fast. I know graphic and web design but I highly doubt those would be relevant skills in an Isekai world. I DO know the ingredients to make soap and black powder thanks to a bunch of novels I read, but having no experience in making them would mean that I would need a long time of experimentation before I could use them for my benefit. There is also the risk that soap or a similar product already exists in that world, and maybe magic beats primitive guns, severely limiting the use of black powder.

I also know how to farm (mainly rice and corn), thanks to being from a rural farming province, so I guess I can survive as long as the environment isn't dangerous, I have a plot of land and seeds to plant

16. LK

LK Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I would die

17. Fossil

Fossil 「Spooky」「Scary」「Skeleton」

Reading List:
    Link
    Commit suicide so I can come back to earth.

Gin_Hindew likes this.
  18. Gin_Hindew

Gin_Hindew Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Wood turning

With a waterwheel and a single cutting tool it would be possible to carve bowls of all shapes with wood turning, it would take like twenty times more time and be actually tiring but it would be possible, and the best part is that most required materials are wood with only a little metal for the clamps, tied with rope, obviously

Lots of families would carve their own wooden utensils, sure, but on a city or big town there would be enough demand for cheap wooden containers

Also, i can farm and process animals into jerky but that would only be new in prehistoric societies, same with making coal from wood

Smelting? its possible to transform pig iron into steel by blowing air into it, the impurities burn and only the most bonded carbon remains, making steel

Its also possible to purify crude oil by boiling it, making more effective fuels for attack

Without the basic infrastructure a steam machine would be nightmarish

STEALING

Steal cattle, give them a haircut and paint them, no one would suspect a thing while you move them outside the area for processing

If there is no magic you can fake a religion, an evil religion, kill people and pretend its from an evil cult who sacrifices people, then take all their valuables while people think its about the sacrifices

Drug people in public so they think they are the evil religion, a kite and a lamp make for nice "spirits"

Poison people with non lethal substances and stop poisoning them once they join your cult

Crop circles to signal the end

Damn, evil becomes so easy in a world of ignorance

imK and Deleted member 89812 like this.
  19. TheF00rgotenMel0n

TheF00rgotenMel0n Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    simple make the first ever airplane. damm cave people dont know how to fly after all, besides most of us know what an old airplane looks like so thats 90% of the work done. no engine tho, but a glider is fine too.

20. Cutter Masterson

Cutter Masterson Well-Known Super-Soldier

Reading List:
    Link
    I believe I would do well.
    I have read many time travel and isekai stories. Whenever I come across an idea. I usually research it and figure out how hard it would be. Making gunpowder (ratios). Guns. Artillery. Trucks. Telegraph. Flight. Ships. Steam. Penicillin. Ice cream. Soap. Cement. Cotton gin. Gun cotton. Loom. Honey. Sugar. Armor. Stamp press. Lathe. Trains. Mining. Lights. Generators. Power tools. Assembly lines. Glass. Mirrors. Clothes. Zippers. Shoes. Lumberjack. Plumbing. Carpentry. Batteries. Games. Music. Stories. Strategy. Politics. Brick making. Submarines. Satellites. Rockets. Mills. Reapers. Tractors. Blimps. Mortars. Irrigation. Butcher. Trapper. Hunter. Bowyer. Blacksmithing. Forger. Printing press. Brewer. Optics. Dentistry. Chemistry.
    Just to name a few.
    I have books, videos and play lists with survival themes. I have strategy books like the art of war. I have preper equipment read to go and the knowledge to use them. From prospecting to skinning. I’m as ready as I can be for either an apocalypse or another world.
    Bring it on.

imK likes this.