Discussion Endings?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Flores520, Jan 8, 2020.

?

What type of undesired conclusion to a liked work would you rather have?

1. Bad Ending

47.1%
  2. No ending

52.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Flores520

Flores520 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    We all would love for novels/manga to have a great, or even a decent, ending. However, this sadly very rare. But given the option between a bad ending or none at all, what would you rather have?

2. livorino

livorino Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The "Go back tot chapter 1" ending. Do you know that one?

Mnotia likes this.
  3. Delirious

Delirious [Code of conduct]

Reading List:
    Link
    At least with no ending, we can speculate and make a version of our own. With a bad ending, a cannon ending so to speak, you're left to swallow the shit that is produced. So, IMO, a bad ending is far worse than just no ending. Both suck, tho.

4. Fluffy Jellyfish

Fluffy Jellyfish 『Number 1 Lolicon under Heaven』

Reading List:
    Link
    I am the one that enjoy the journey more than the ending

So, I prefer to re-read until the story just turn bad :blobpats:

5. pass1478

pass1478 I'm in Despair!

Reading List:
    Link
    If the ending's not too bad, then i'll take it, but If it's NTR or something pass that, then i'd rather not have read the story in the first place.

ughughugh likes this.
  6. Zaroz

Zaroz Existential Lurker Demonic Calamity

Reading List:
    Link
    Pretty sure that one is a website design problem!:blobtongue:
    I agree that having a crappy ending can be annoying, like Night Ranger, but having the series just abruptly stop leaves you with no sense of closure, like Cut & Paste (Although that one is because the author died, so I can't really blame him...).
    I feel that for an author, even if you no longer want to continue writing a given novel, as long as you give it a proper ending (even a crappy one), you are showing your respect for all of the readers and fans that have supported the story.

AMissingLinguist likes this.
  7. pass1478

pass1478 I'm in Despair!

Reading List:
    Link
    Though, what do you mean by "bad ending?"

Is it a bad ending in terms of writting or in terms of the story's situation?

A bad end can be written pretty well, and I may be able to bear with it. But a good end with bad writting is just a bad ending to me.

8. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What about books where the ending is bad because it basically doesn't have one? One of the books I liked got ruined because the writer decided to do just that. Realistically though, the worst are the endings that spoil what is otherwise a good book. On the other hand, if something like "Kenkyo, Kenjitsu" just stopped where it is without an ending, it'd still be one of the best Japanese webnovels out there.

9. Mnotia

Mnotia The Trash Man

Reading List:
    Link
    I hate the "mc dies at the end and repeats everything over" type ending but I prefer it more than the other shit endings like "It was all a dream", "happily ever after", "See you next series", and etc.

10. Dinosquash1

Dinosquash1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I despise rushed bs endings, like Avalon of the Five Elements, which is so prevalent in mangas especially.
    if u cant write a good ending, just make an open ending instead of some hot poo you try to serve to us.

11. Blackrabbit0634

Blackrabbit0634 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    it depends on some novels.. like for me sometimes most CN cultivation novel is better with no ending because those have seriously have a track record for shit or rushed endings. While some novel really need a bad ending really fast so that we can just move on and not expect anything anymore to destroy the goodness of the novel, (e.g. when your reading a novel and just feels like it should have ended in the last arc feeling like the current arcs are fillers and you start to lose interest)

12. Sparteh

Sparteh The Devourer

Reading List:
    Link
    This is a tricky question. I guess it would all depend on the ending and the story.
    I have completed roughly 100 novels on NU. Out of them all, I have found only 1 ending truly perfect for the story. There were a few decent ones as well, but the majority were those I would consider "bad" endings or close to them.
    Honestly, I would rather have a bad ending than no ending at all. Authors could always make those open/journey continues type endings, but having no ending and quitting without finishing it feels worse. That has already happened to Reverend Insanity and is most likely to happen to Grasping Evil and these are just a few examples of how no ending could ruin a novel more than a bad one.

13. ludagad

ludagad Addicted to escapist novels

Reading List:
    Link
    Easy. I'll take a no ending over an ending where the MC and/or their love interest dies or get separated by 'reality' :blob_pout:

14. AMissingLinguist

AMissingLinguist [Not Here][Blank Sect][Nuffian #N]

Reading List:
    Link
    This question is a dilemma. I would rather choose a third option, if possible, or nothing at all. Abstaining from choosing is a possible option.

15. Asf

Asf 《《The aria of souls》》

Reading List:
    Link
    As bad as it is I like to see the author's version of the ending.
    Sad ending doesnt count as a bad ending for me.
    Axed ending is..

16. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    I would argue that there is no such thing as a story with no ending, you have on one end open endings that leave everything unresolved and on the other end closed endings that leave nothing unresolved and in between you have a very wide spectrum of endings that resolve some things but not everything.
    The thing is that they are all still endings that can be either good or bad depending on what that particular story needs, for some stories open endings are good and fitting endings despite a lack of resolution, while in other stories the whole plot might be completely reliant on the ending resolving things.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
    AMissingLinguist likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.