Non-Fic strange thing

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Amaruna Myu, Jan 9, 2020.

1. Amaruna Myu

Amaruna Myu ugly squid dokja (●´∀`●)

Reading List:
    Link
    nothing to do with the show.

a stranger messaged me asking me if I called her.

my call log showed me that my last call was to my mum 1 day ago.

then she sent me a screenshot of my number calling her 5 minutes ago.

My phone was in my hands 5 min ago and I was watching family friendly anime on a not so grey anime website.

is it possible for someone to have the same number as me?
    what on earth is happening?!

2. Bored_Nick

Bored_Nick Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmmm
    Either someone is messing with you or you operator messed up.

3. thepope

thepope Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Do you see the number or just name? An hack on smartphone is doubfull there are other informations that have more use... but "you" could have given an order for same number sim card from your operator try that first if they give the same number to someone or have send someone one...I know that trick with bankcards if someone got your ID or other personal data they can change post adress etc fast...

Edit: If you do not know that person which you "have" called do not use that smart-phone for banking or log-in with vital personal data before you clean it up and do an software update.
    The pic could be a troy horse like the extras pfds in emails... scammers are everywhere.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
  4. mir

mir Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I used to get that alot before my previous phone broke.
    It's called spoofing.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caller_ID_spoofing
    Scam telemarketers will call people using random numbers, and your number happens to be on their list of numbers that they are using.

It goes like this:
    1. Scammer calls person from the scammer's number, but when the person's phone receives the call, your number is shown instead.
    2. Person tries to call back the scammer, but the call goes to your phone, not the scammer.
    3. You answer, they ask why you called, you say you didn't. Both of you are confused.

bonus round
    :
    If they have been receiving multiple calls, they will believe that you are with the scammers and just lying to them. Or that you are a potential mistress that needs to be told that the bf is taken. Or that you are a troll/prank caller. Or that they must have dialed the wrong number somehow. Or they won't care who you are, but if you don't somehow magically stop them from receiving these phone calls, they will continue to be very upset and show you just how violent and colorful their language can be.

All these calls I have received. It was interesting. For the mistress one, they were extremely polite about the whole thing so it ended up being a very nice call. I hope they are doing well.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
    imK and thepope like this.
  5. Ral

Ral Not a Well-Known Member ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reading List:
    Link
    You'd better stop replying to that person.
    Besides spoofing, it's possible that the person that contacted you is the scammer. Contacting them may lead to enormous phone charges.
    Screenshot doesn't mean anything - it can be edited or even more simply they can set your number as a contact's "name" and it'll look the same as a random call on their call log.
    Google that number. My country has websites where people submit numbers of scammers or telemarketers (etc.) that called them. It's always good to double check.

imK and mir like this.
  6. Amaruna Myu

Amaruna Myu ugly squid dokja (●´∀`●)

Reading List:
    Link
    :notlikeblob:
    I don't get it... the person sent me a picture of my phone number in their call log and messaged me via whatsapp and asked if I called.
    it was not a call but rather messages. it ended as a peaceful conversation after I said I didnt know what happened.
    phone charges using free wifi messaging app?
    well, I'll check it out!

mir likes this.
  7. Ral

Ral Not a Well-Known Member ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, you didn't specify in the original post. I thought they texted you.

imK likes this.