Recommendations Japanese Novels similar to some Korean and Chines Novels

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by namigi, Jan 9, 2020.

1. namigi

namigi New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hey all,

I'm learning Japanese and interested in reading some raw novels but I can't find something that is interesting to me.

Are there any Japanese novel that is similar to some of the following novels:
    Second Coming of Gluttony - I especially like the first parts where you can see the MC struggling to get by and the difficulties he was able to overcome through perseverance.
    Lord of the Mysteries - I really like the Victorian Esque settings and that most antagonists are actually pretty smart and scheming. It gives the feeling that a lot of things are happening behind the scenes, and making you look forward to the revelations in succeeding chapters.

Thanks all!

2. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Twelve Kingdoms
    It's not specifically similar to Chinese novels, but it's heavily inspired by Chinese history and mythology. This is one of the old school isekai novels so the protagonists have to work extremely hard to get ahead so if you want to see struggles, this book has it in spades. It also has fantastic world building and some of the best themes I've seen in Japanese fiction.

Bright_Lucky_Star likes this.