Discussion Lord Of Mysteries fans

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by Xu Wen Hui, Sep 15, 2019.

1. Xu Wen Hui

Xu Wen Hui Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I haven't read Lord Of Mysteries yet so i was just wondering about what you guys think about the book
    I've read the comments on NU and Webnovel because i have a habit of reading the reviews before I read a book XD

is it really as good as other people says it is?

Spectator_2 likes this.
  2. ZachB

ZachB Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Its better than average.
    I just read the latest chapter (raws).

Spectator_2 likes this.
  3. criticalmind

criticalmind Enter Chunni Name Here

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes it is.
    Read it.

Spectator_2 likes this.
  4. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Depends on what you are into but yes it is good, at least give it a try

Spectator_2 likes this.
  5. readerread

readerread Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Slow and reads like a published novel but it is excellent

Spectator_2 likes this.
  6. mm38910

mm38910 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The story is good. Different from the usual cultivation narrative with bits of western mixed here and there. The start is a little weak compared to rest of the story, but it pays off.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
    Spectator_2 likes this.
  7. Halmista

Halmista Doctor of Books

Reading List:
    Link
    If you're tired of the usual OP protagonists steamrolling everyone every single chapter with never-ending face-slapping the arrogant young masters and getting everyone with a vagina and jade-like skin fall in love with him, then you'll find this novel a huge breath of fresh air. Like God chewed a mint gum and blew a hurricane to your face.

Lord_Gardoss likes this.
  8. skyfall3250

skyfall3250 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's definitely different from usual CN novels and in good kind of way.
    The beginning is kind of slow as author does solid world building and characters are not cardboard cutouts.
    Some point mentioned in the beginning May get relevant later so it's bit mysterious too.
    I'll say definitely go for it

Halmista likes this.
  9. Har D Rai

Har D Rai Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Smart and surprisingly sensible mc , good not over the top worldbuilding and I like the way the world's history slowly unfurls before us , no romance yet (which is a plus for me) , not op but not weak mc , a lot of mysteries in novel , nothing cliche here , basically I have nothing bad to say about it as of recent chapter release.

10. Lswarmruler

Lswarmruler 『Anya, The Cutest Esper Loli』《Spy x Family Manga》

Reading List:
    Link
    Well yes it is really good compared to most of chinese novels here.. mc is very careful n calculative about his action n the worldbuilding is really good.

But it is still not perfect just like every novel here. Every characters are kinda one dimensional including mc, both mc n his nemesis protected by strong plot armor, n after more than 1000+ chapters i really felt like the author trying so hard to prolong the plot instead of just straight to main goal, n finish the novel.

There is about 550+ ch translated. But i read the latest raw 1050+ ch.

11. perspherspley

perspherspley IZ*ONE

Reading List:
    Link
    There are only 1024 chapters.
    https://book.qidian.com/info/1010868264#Catalog

12. ughughugh

ughughugh Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I like it too, but I don't know if it's the writting style or translation because the writting/flow feels a bit robotic.

thymee likes this.
  13. roadnii

roadnii Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    it's one of the few relatively well-written chinese novel (IMO alongside Trafford's Trading Club, which is sadly stopped translation, and the House of Horrors).

like what the others said, the first half ofbthe first volume is really slow paced but I disagree with the characters being one dimensional, provided that I've only read to the latest translation. The recurring side characters might feel like they only show one part of their personality but their interactions have not been boring and I personally feel that those recurring character are the 'relief' after every intense moment in between transitions.

i recommend for you to read it atleast 50chaps before you give it up. my recommendations are only up to the latest translation but I don't think it will change much

kkgoh likes this.
  14. NeurogamiPrime

NeurogamiPrime Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    its really good. My only real gripe with it is that the Main character is boring and seems to treat the world like he isn't really a part of it. and i get it it. its a transmigration. but he feels almost too distant at times. but then randomly it throws in that he suddenly cares so much about everyone including people he barely knows and acts on that sudden burst of emotion that existed no where until that point even in his mental narrative.

15. Liron

Liron Well-Known (Failed) Prophet

Reading List:
    Link
    As a fan of Lovecraftian horror and Bloodborne I can say this novel is great. My favorite ongoing novel without a doubt. It is not perfect, but it is so far above 99% of the stuff out there that I don’t mind the few flaws one bit.

16. kkgoh

kkgoh Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm probably the reviewer you're referring to :whistle:

Had a decent discussion with a LOTM fan @Night Ghost in another thread.
    https://forum.novelupdates.com/threads/highly-overrated-novel.92209/page-3#post-5209281
    I can see his point that the story/content might interesting in later stages, but I'll acknowledge I've never gotten there since it's so far away. My primary issues were with the verbose writing style, fillers, and pacing, which killed it for me as a supposed mystery novel.

It's kinda up to you on whether you're willing to slog through the beginning (and possibly future) to get to the "good parts", and whether it ends up being worth it for you. All reviews are inherently biased, even mine. There'll always be cult followings of highly specific genres.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
  17. rninejr

rninejr Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    @kkgoh

hmm I've seen your points from that post. First, I don't like One Piece because most of the main characters are typical shounen mangas guys. Can't be helped since it's a shounen manga, but it doesnt fit my taste. The only character I respect is Nico Robin which is perhaps "the most hated straw hat pirate's crew" by fans since she bring harm to her friends in a way for a number of occasions. But for me, she's a real person who's truly struggling with her personality n inferiority in the world of shounen manga that overly glorifying brotherhood, friendship, and the spirit of "never surrender till you die."

I'm not a literature guy nor a smart one. I'm quite a slow thinker, also slow at learning, and I just read what I want to read regardless of others' opinion. The best thing I'm quite proud of is not forcing my perspective and opinion to someone else or other parties.

In my point of view, all those small characters with name that u call "useless without purpose" and some minor facts like the exact amout of change our MC get when buy something are actually have a purpose, not a significant one but still a purpose nonetheless. They are there to add more depth to this webnovel and that is why I feel that LOTM isn't fit to be called a webnovel. For me, by knowing the environments abit more than usual make me understand the "common sense" in the world of LOTM, lets say in Tingen City or Backlund. It's abit refreshing rather than keep focusing on the main story.

There is no harm in knowing how Klein is reluctant to spend money in luxury at the start of the story and he keep it that way until the latest chapter I've read (1225). It rather unique for me to know a few small trivias about a character. Some ppl hate the fact how often Klein being hypocrite or lampooning someone, but for me, that's what a person should be. Human are flawed, contradictive creatures. Klein is just your typical average guy who's trying his best not to harm other but decisive enough to take the risk to reach his goal. He's not perfect but that's why he is good.

Also, it's true that there are almost no character development in LOTM but there is barely 2 years gap between the latest chapter and the first one so I think all characters are already set to enter the main stage, not to be developed further.

Ofc, there are few truly useless and boring parts even for me, but for a chinese webnovel, LOTM is far far far greater than most chinese webnovel out there. I don't get how ppl could even read the likes of Martial God Asura or Martial World or Lord Xue Ying. To me, those titles are just copy+paste all over again and again. My eyes were on the verge of bleeding when I gave them a try (I read MGA until ch 1200 btw and finally gave up...it get worse and worse).

kkgoh likes this.
  18. kkgoh

kkgoh Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No worries, I get that everyone has their own likes and dislikes. All novels are relative, and I'm not uniquely bashing on LoTM either. A lot of the other chinese webnovels you mentioned rank pretty low on my list.

I don't think any review should be taken as "forcing an opinion on someone else".

As I stated in my prior post, "It's kinda up to you on whether you're willing to slog through the beginning (and possibly future) to get to the "good parts", and whether it ends up being worth it for you. All reviews are inherently biased, even mine. There'll always be cult followings of highly specific genres."
    A review's main purpose is to bring to attention details of the story that might have been overlooked, and summarize the overall outlook from the reviewer's perspective. Readers can then decide for themselves if it's a positive, negative, or no big deal.

As an example, I've pointed out that there are many named random characters (not "side" characters) that appear and disappear. Most of the time they don't advance the story. It's just a (clumsy) attempt at world building and lore, as you yourself have pointed out. I appreciate that acknowledgement. Most other fans of LoTM refuse to even admit that the random named characters bring nothing to the plot, and claim that everything is interconnected as some kind of incredible mystery novel. Which we should all agree is BS by now.
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts.

If you read most established writers works and creative writing classes, you'll know that this style of writing is widely considered a negative. But if you're ok with it then that's up to you.

On a side note, I believe I've never made any negative comments about LoTM character development. I don't think I've ever commented about LoTM characters at all (beyond them spouting a lot of sesquipedalia). After sorting through all the filler, I didn't see any obvious logical problems up till where I read.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
  19. rninejr

rninejr Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link

Hmmm, I myself don't really care about someone badmouthing LOTM. I'm at least can tell the difference between badmouthing and criticizing. It's just that I tried to attract more ppl to read and discuss this webnovel since you and some ppl already pointed out its weaknesses — the kind of ppl who worth my time, while I simply ignore those who can only spiting out degenerating comments.

I'm more about encouraging potential reader since the early parts are slow, more like the author were still looking in the dark. And yes, I mentioned character development since many reviewers pointed it out as a fatal weakness while in my opinion, LOTM isn't the same with naruto become hokage or Luffy become the greatest pirate.

I think I kinda get your meaning about clumsy way of world-building. I recall the lady who work as a receptionist at the divination club where Klein joined as Sherlock Moriarty has a name and she is totally useless indeed. Or perhaps like a girl who got injured when Backlund is being bombarded, she also has a name but she's unimportant character that I forgot her name.

For me, the best part of LOTM,
    is when Klein held captive by Amon. I know Klein as the MC should be able to survive but then my hope was crushed little by little, to the point that I feel desperate on how the hell he could escape safely from this OP Angel of Time. I wont spoil the rest, let ppl read it themselves haha. But for me it' was one hell of a ride, something i rarely found from other chinese webnovel — one of them is Ze Tian Ji by Mao Ni.

All in all, I admit LOTM is far from perfect. Regardless, I still recommend ppl to read it because it is worth the time compared to 99% of all chinese webnovel out there. For me, the amount of "filler" and "useless" parts are still tolerable compared to the other rising star, Reverend Insanity....

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2020
    kkgoh likes this.
  20. lafiel11

lafiel11 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The first act sucks, but it gets better when mc moves from klein moretti's persona..

. I bashed the novel for the first big arc but after tka ended I got free reading tixkets and readed it in one go and now following daily updates on the novel.

Pretty good, you should check it out