Question Am I the only one who doesn’t like manipulative love interests

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by White Empress, Jan 11, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. White Empress

White Empress Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I seem to have seen so many just plain manipulative love interests that I would’ve liked other than the crazy “I have to tie them to my side by any means.” Basically force, rape, preventing them from seeing other people, twisting information, guilt tripping, killing others, etc. and the other party is just okay with it?? It seems to go body first (rape or really early sex) then heart, but it’s not even an equal relationship, the person is treated more like the Ring by Gollum. The relationship doesn’t have any depth at all other than a of we’re fated lovers and grow old together. Very cliche too. It seems really popular but I don’t get why? Am I the only one who doesn’t like it?

IndusEla and otaku31 like this.
  2. Minarett

Minarett Peaceful Adventurer

Reading List:
    Link
    Just don't read novels with the yandere tag. Although from what i've seen around 70% of the female protagonist novels have that kind of love interest so it may be a bit hard to avoid it.

naghi32 likes this.
  3. Liyus

Liyus Laksha's Desu~ Cat

Reading List:
    Link
    when possesiveness is brought to the extreme....:facepalm:

4. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The MC is a doormat. The ML loves to step on others. It's a match made in heaven. I don't understand what's the complaint. :blobunsure: :blobpeek:

5. IndusEla

IndusEla Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yup, it's so damn annoying to read. The MC usually has no sense of self worth and in the name of 'love' is willing to be abused, raped, manipulated, and threatened. Maybe they are secretly masochistic. :blobowoevil_horns:

The authors think that since their darling male lead is rich, handsome, dashing, blah blah blah, it's alright. Because at the end of the day, the toad (MC) is getting to be with the swan (ML).

White Empress likes this.
  6. Kirill

Kirill New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I also hate it so much, because it doesn't matter whether it's gay or straight novels, the ML almost always has to be insanely possessive. They also have the very same lines, which gets very irritating to read repeatedly.

It's also why finding 1 novel, with a healthy, proper relationship feels so refreshing & new to me.

White Empress likes this.
  7. Lazriser

Lazriser Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I have a better allegory, but it would be sexually offensive should I replace yours with mine. Are we talking about female CN protagonists set in the ancient era or modern era or both?

8. Bachingchung

Bachingchung Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Women would heal like Wolverine if the wallet is fat enough.

IndusEla likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.