Question OP mc

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by xlyzex1991, Jan 11, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xlyzex1991

xlyzex1991 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't understand why people hate OP mc and like the mc who struggle hard to win..

I don't like struggling mc becoz it's really tedious reading all that fighting scene...it feels every move mc make there is always a counter and the villain always and always have some stupid backup plan(i hit u..u hit me back..i use a very strong move..u actually hid ur cultivation and counter..i use a very awesome forbidden technique..u use a very powerful ultimate patriarch granpa..grandpa use some big move..suddenly I have backup from the royal clan)it's really boring and tedious reading this kind of fight

kennykdogg likes this.
  2. DomDomDom

DomDomDom Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    CN doesn't like OP mc. In JP and KR there are tons of OP mc where no grandpa comes to fight for grandson.

An Anime Addict likes this.
  3. slightofhand

slightofhand Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You and I seem to have completely different definitions of OP as I'm pretty sure the whole point of Chinese cultivation novels is that the MC is OP.

4. DomDomDom

DomDomDom Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Now lets explain The Theory of Relativity. If MC is OP and other characters are also OP then MC will not be called OP. For Example , In a CN MC becomes God, Super God, Super-Duper God but other people of similar power are also there I won't call MC as OP even if he can destroy Universes at a wave of hand.
    On the other side if MC doesn't have these God, Super God Power but everyone else has way less power then MC then I'll call MC as OP.
    So, According to The Theory of Relativity, Power of OPness is directly proportional to difference of power between Power of MC and Power of antagonist.

5. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    It's not about hating OP MCs as its about how OP MCs are handled. It's like eating sugar, great once in a while but will make you sick if you just keep stuffing sugar down your throat.

OP MCs often suffer a lot from: 1) Every other character is bland, 2) Every other character exists for sole purpose of MC, either to praise him to death or keep suiciding themselves against MC. 3) Poor management of climax

So they are hated due to the stigma with them. But that is mostly by mature veteran readers, most readers prefer OP MC over non-OP ones cause of escapism.

Chrono Vlad likes this.
  6. Aleff Null

Aleff Null Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It depends on the novel. it's good to have a good struggle and a satisfactory ending to the "drama" by having your mc power up.
    But it needs to be well written xD

OP MC are hard to make. we all want a good story and not a wish fulfillment novel to fap mentally.
    I mean... It's good from time to time, but not every day.

"I love my hand, but I need a wife."

What a metaphor.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
  7. Diametric

Diametric Waifu Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    Struggling to overcome adversity has been the foundation of storytelling since the dawn of time.

It's relatable and engages the reader.

8. riandanis

riandanis Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The mention of escapism really hits me hard there

9. Asf

Asf 《《The aria of souls》》

Reading List:
    Link
    I dont like reading about a game in easy mode with the MC having speed hacks power hacks infinite item and wikipedia brains since i think it isnt fun.

10. Bachingchung

Bachingchung Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Your arguments are contradictory. If they don't even need to ask their grandpa to fight for them, then wouldn't that mean they could handle the MC already?

11. flannan

flannan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It is a matter of writing skill. If you can write a cool fighting scene, bedroom scene, scenery description or whatever - go ahead and write it. If you're bad at it or don't like writing that, it's better to soft-focus it or make MC win it easily.
    And unless your translator is also a proper author, writing skill will probably diminish in the translation.

Also I have to agree - a good fighting scene should not be just a transcript of a fight from your favorite RPG - it should demonstrate ebb and flow of battle, with one side pushing the other into a corner, plans, sudden reversals and everything else necessary for interesting writing.

12. Villager Anonymous

Villager Anonymous Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    But the only true power is plot armor so what we should compare is the plot armor if the protagonist and antagonist as cultivation is secondary if even. Secondly in Jp isekai and Kn dungeon novels there is usually an omnipotent being or group called gods that are the source of all the problems hence they cannot be OP by your definition of the word. Lastly strength is relative but OPness is the ability to flip the board. One is stronger than is justified by the story. They are a broken character who are put in a world of crippled fetuses, go back to plot armor for more information.

DomDomDom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.