Earbuds conundrum

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by Nneeil, Jan 14, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Nneeil

Nneeil Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, it happened again. At this point I feel like I'm cursed. I payed 17 euros for this pair of earbuds. Good noise isolation, strong bass, the sound was clear and smooth. In brief, I was a very happy costumer.

However, after roughly one month and half, the wires started malfunctioning. Now, to make them work I have to bend them into weird angles. This was the third pair of earbuds that I had to discard because of that. Understandably, the previous ones were all crappy and cheap.

But daayyum... 17 euros might not be that much, but for something at this price I expected earbuds more durable.

So I decided to buy wireless ones... any recommendations? I need something that is not pricey, over 10 euros/dollars and less than 30.

Also, if you have them, can you tell me how long do they last with one charge?

xiazixin likes this.
  2. ReadOrDie

ReadOrDie already dead

Reading List:
    Link
    I have one plus wireless, jack and type c earphone. Rarely touch the wireless one but hey it’s your choice.

3. Kutaifa

Kutaifa Pokémon trainer

Reading List:
    Link
    You expect too much from insanely cheap earbuds. Unless you spend 30-50€, you won't get durable, good-ish sound and fine touchpad features.
    You won't find anything below that price range, that has all those capabilities. If you want fine sound, and bad durability, then sure. But you wont get it all.

4. Heimdallr

Heimdallr [I-don't-know-what-to-write-here]

Reading List:
    Link
    What kind of earphones with 17€ are good.... i bought Sennheiser 4,40 BT for 50€ they are a few new generations of them but if i had to rate by sound i would say they are pretty good. Noice cancelling is also nice and they keep me warm outside during winter.

5. pass1478

pass1478 I'm in Despair!

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm usually a very cheap and stingy person, as long as it's cheap and does the job, i'll take it. But when it comes to earphones and headsets? I tend to go all out. Usually, I go for Anker products when it comes to ear phones/buds, and Audio Technica for Headphones (I avoid wireless headphones.)

6. S4TY4

S4TY4 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    - check places like eBay & Amazon first or your local similar e-store
    - find & make potential candidates list
    - try checking outside reviews of those candidates (YouTube would be a prime candidates since you could find several reviewers w/ their pros & cons + if it's not there, you could easily kick it from your list)

7. eray.gns

eray.gns Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Got my Sennheiser MX 475 for around 20 euros 3 years ago and it is still going strong and I've yet to find earphones which sounds as good as these. So cheap and, good and strong earphones are possible. One just has to find the one.

BUT if you are looking for wireless earbuds for below 30 euros, you'll be quite disappointed. First of all those won't sound good and then there is the battery life. Mind that those wireless earbuds has limited amount of "recharge" counts, so cheap ones will die even faster.

If you want something closer to apple's, you might want to try Huawei FreeBuds. Anything below that sounds shitty. Also, personally, I couldn't quite get used to "wireless" earphone concept as I forget to charge them quite often.

8. Ral

Ral Not a Well-Known Member ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reading List:
    Link
    I had the same problem with a lot of my earbuds, then I decided to try something cheap... It's been almost 10 months and, to my surprise, they're still working properly. I even machine washed them (left them in a pocket of my shorts) in their first month and nothing happened to them. The only drawback to them is that there is no volume control or prev/next buttons - it's just play/pause, but I don't generally skip tracks and I can always reach my phone's volume keys if I need to adjust. They're JBL T110, btw.

As for wireless, I've been using a pair for a few years - they have a long lasting battery (8,5hrs playing), but they're very loud, even at minimal volume. Too loud to listen to at night while reading. And they generate some noise even if the music is not playing, but you remain connected. I use them mostly for cycling or while doing chores. They're Sony MDR-XB50BS.

9. xiazixin

xiazixin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    As some one in to HiFi, I can recommend you cheap pc but hard to recommend a cheap ear buds.

that's quite good, last time.

You mean ANC? Bose have good ANC, but they are wired and cost a few hundreds. If your looking to buy Bode, your probably into HiFi like me. So I think recommendations is not needed.

Huawei have cmq3 anc, but also wired. It cost like 40 usd but the quality is really good, sound like over hundred plus. But not as good as bose. Value for money.

There is rog cetra, decent, it uses Sony's drives and sound okay for the price? It cost a bit over 100 usd.

There is AKG (big brand) but it's make my Samsung(small brand) it's quite good, but ANC is a bit floaty and not as good as huawei and cost over 70 dollars.

Note, all of the above ANC are types c cable.

If your looking for normal in ear head phone without ANC. There are a lots of brands.
    From cheapest to expensive.
    • 1more piston fit. Cheap and quality, it's the best head phone to start with. Sound okay, not sure if it's dynamic headphone or Balanced armature. At this price range of lesser than 20 usd it's probably dynamic but 1more is famous of using expansive Balanced armature for cheap.
    • 1MORE Dual Driver In-Ear Earphones. A multi driver Balanced armature head phone with 30+ usd. Just where in the world can you find a price like that. And it sound good. The build quility is good too. To the point that it made my other 100 over usd head phone cry.
    • Sennheiser momentum the cheapest one. Man, there are many versions of momentum, there are wireless ones. But they are expensive. The wired one that I own cost about 100 usd. I think it's cheaper now. Its really good.
    • Ie80s. My ie80s is still in shipment. It's second hand. Cost about 300 usd if it's new. Wired, can be wireless if you brought an after sales wire. At this price range you need a portable amplifier to truly enjoy the In ear head phone. Lucky I got a cheap creative x-fi sound card on my pc. But a portable amplifier cost like 500 usd.
    • Ie800s the extream version of ie80s and the improved version of ie800. I dream of getting it. But too bad I'm poor. Can't say anything. It cost close to a thousands or even more than a thousand usd.
    • akg k3003, another inear head phone that you can only buy in your dreams mine dreams too. It use to cost over 3000 usd. Or 4000usd. But over the years the price dropped to 1000+ which make it best value for money head phone. If you don't like ie800s after buying it try this one.

Edits tldr: most value for money is huawei cmq3, 1more piston fit, 1MORE Dual Driver, and akg k3003(it use to cost over 4k usd. And now just 1k.)

Edits 2: senheiser is famous for fake heads phones, buy only at official store if you are new to headphones. AKG is still okay, but still be careful there may be fake ones. 1more is just too cheap for the cost, and who in the world that sells double Balanced armature for lesser than 40usd even counterfeit wouldn't earn money, it's better for counterfeiters to starts their own brands. That's why I recommend 1more.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
    Nneeil and earthdrake like this.
  10. xiazixin

Reading List:
    Link
    I should write an extra long thread about HiFi, head phones and drivers. Really. It's difficult to explain.

11. xiazixin

Reading List:
    Link
    Nneeil likes this.
  12. earthdrake

earthdrake Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Wireless buds with good quality sound start after 50 eur so no dice there (and they are barely into the "good" quality).
    Wireless has many issues and they are expensive for that reason, you have to be careful about the batery life, sound quality, power, bass (most are NOT bass heavy), transmission used (most use bluetooth 4.0, anything before will impact negatively into them), etc.
    Good earbuds are hard to find too as the cables tend to be more cheap on the connections and you have that problem again, try to spend a bit more and go for good brands (Sennheiser is generally a good one except for a few models) the 4.40 mentioned above are good.
    Also remember that BT will have a limit on the information it can transmit, meaning higher quality music will ALWAYS be compressed to fit a codec (think the maximum is 990 for LDAC) so it will always be lower than wired ones and most likely it will on the 300/500 zone (LDAC is propery of sony and you need sony equipment to use it). Just in case compression means loss of quality.
    If you want to listen to music and don't really care about quality but want a good bass buy some sennheiser/bose/audio technica/other brands over ear wired (HD 200/300 are good and ~30/40 bucks) and it will work for years.
    Sennheiser momentum wireless use the codec SBC which is the standard and also the worst one, can't recommend them.
    Also as xiazixin said there are plenty fakes of most check always. Bought some i80 from an "official distributor" and where fake, had to fight a lot to get my money back (they only had fakes).

xiazixin and Nneeil like this.
  13. xiazixin

Reading List:
    Link
    Most wireless are BA which consumes less battery. Which is a bad thing as most BA drive are more expensive to manufacture as compared to dynamic one. And BA have a very bad bass.

That's so true, the person who created the 3mm head phones jacks should kills him self. 6.3mm head phone jack is way better.

Never owns a single wireless head phones. All my head phone are wired. Too bad the momentum in ear headphone wired actually sound really good.

That must have hurts. I bought the ie8 at long ago too, and it was a fake and didn't even get my money back. During that period, ie8 is litters with fake literally everywhere. Also from an "official distributor" I hope my second hand ie80s on shipment is real lol.

But seriously, it became difficult to recommend it to anyone with all the fakes laying around. But I still recommend the 1more double drives, but don't worry it have good wire quality.

Nneeil likes this.
  14. earthdrake

earthdrake Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The 1more was recommended several times and was considering to buy them.
    Had both versions of Sennheiser momentum (ios version), the wireless is notably of lesser quality in both driver and sound quality.
    And yeah it's incredible how good some copies actually are, they look the same and the sound for the first 20/40 hours may be close, after that they go straight to hell but still.

xiazixin likes this.
  15. xiazixin

Reading List:
    Link
    I only have 1more double drive and a h1007 over ear.
    As I know, as of all head phones they upgrade the drivers and the sound every years. The double drive that I own is from 2016 and have stright plugs.

I heard now the newer model of double drives comes with 1 graphene driver and 1 balanced Armature deliver.
    I never own a graphene drivers headphones so I can't say for sure. But with that price, links on previous comments, you have nothing to lose.
    All their headphones are tune by famous musicians and their build quality is better than sennheiser. And since it's a "upgrade" (most likely) it should sound better than the old one that I own. And even the old one are well worth the money.

16. xiazixin

Reading List:
    Link
    @earthdrake the triple drive ones use the normal 1 dynamic drive and 2 balanced Armature, I think 1 more is likely gathering community feedbacks on the new drivers.
    There is likely an increase in price in the headphone after it. Well with that price your nothing to lose and it's a good time to try a new drive.

The one I own is 1 dynamic and 1 balance Armature drives. Dynamic drive are cheap to produce anyway. So I think it's an improvement most likey

17. xiazixin

Reading List:
    Link
    Correction, they change to graphene since 2018? But I don't know, not much news on it mine was early first released version, which use straight plugs instead of L plugs.
    Well it tune by Luca Bignardi. With one G driver for low with one BA for mids.
    If you have momentum there is no points in getting it.
    Maybe getting a ie80s or ie800s or k3003i for a upgrade, personally k3003i is the most value for money on my list.

18. Suranchan

Suranchan ♥‿♥♥‿♥

Reading List:
    Link
    well, try Sony's WH 1000-XM3. been using it for more than a year, no regrets at all.

19. xiazixin

Reading List:
    Link
    Sadly all my answers got killed with now kz zs10 pro. In 20~100 usd range.

Moondrop kxxs have no compators in 100~300 usd budget range.

They just took the markets by storm, other IEM of similar price range is not even an option.

Well, the 300+ and abrove hi-fi price range is still the same I think.

And this is an old thread.