Discussion Question about RPG or System Novel

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Ram5, Jan 8, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ram5

Ram5 [Noodle Stealer]

Reading List:
    Link
    I have seen a lot of RPG or system genre, doesn't this type of novel required more work than the others? for example, the level up mechanism and stat distribution, let alone must set up the quest, weapon, and other things, and making sure to stay consistent throughout the story.

What makes people so passionate to write this genre?

2. pass1478

pass1478 I'm in Despair!

Reading List:
    Link
    Isn't the game system a lazy way to show progress?

It's efficient, but lacks creativity.

GDLiZy, strayCat0, Tianshen and 2 others like this.
  3. Liyus

Liyus Laksha's Desu~ Cat

Reading List:
    Link
    the thing that i like most of the system genre are the quest and MC reaction at them, specialy if they are hilarous.....

4. Nisaea

Nisaea Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It SHOULD require more work. The thing is, most of them just don't bother with balance and consistency. And as someone already said, they just use it as a lazy way to show progress.

strayCat0 and Astaroth like this.
  5. Jigoku Shounen

Jigoku Shounen An Envoy From Hell

Reading List:
    Link
    I changed something for you.

Because it's one of the Easiest Plot Device to make the MC....something....like making him OP, making him Lucky, making him seem Smart, etc
    ^ This

6. Tianshen

Tianshen Ex-Lurker

Reading List:
    Link
    Agreed with the post above, it's the ultimate weapon for lazy writing. Whenever the authors have no idea how to give mc motivation and start another arc.

Ding!

Quest triggered!

Failure punishment: Penis exploded.

There you go. Instant motivation for mc.

canaria23 likes this.
  7. pass1478

pass1478 I'm in Despair!

Reading List:
    Link
    Though I said what I said above, it can also be used as a proper part of the story's plot.

A good example would be "My House of Horrors." The quest/reward system (from the black phone) gives hints and foreshadowings regarding the mc's untold past and unknown future.

There's also "kumo desu ga nani ka." Not gonna spoil anything for those who haven't read it, but it actually is part of a fairly big plot twist.

And then there's probably the most unique use of it from "The Experimental log of the Crazy Lich." Note that i'm not solely refering to his own troll system.
    He basically tries to implement a not existing reward system as to aid and motivate people from his world. (Though I personally think that the Author didn't put enough attention into it.)

Oh yeah, there's also a huge plot twist regarding his own troll system.

There are probably more novels with great and creative uses for such a used and unoriginal concept.

So yeah. Generic concept, good execution.

8. Ram5

Ram5 [Noodle Stealer]

Reading List:
    Link
    But we do laugh at that...

I do agree with the reward system from the quest, what I hard to think was when it comes to maintaining stat or exp, even Sword Art Online didn't show this much...

9. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link

A lot of authors write what they read or want to read. Litrpg with a system is a popular genre cause of our empathy with gaming. Many people who game know the feeling of getting stronger with leveling, learning skills and etc.

You are correct that NORMALLY, it requires a lot of work to insure a proper gaming system. But most authors completely ignore them and the gaming aspect is simply there for the nostalgia.

That said, I disagree with the comments saying a gaming system is simply being lazy. Because lets be honest, be it cultivation level or just saying "hey I got 2x stronger", or "I learned a new spell/element" and etc. They are all the same. There is no such thing as a lazy or non-lazy methods of characters getting stronger, they are all the same.

What matters most is HOW it is done and how much effort is put into refining that system. If the author doesn't put much effort into it regardless what they use and if it lacks consistently, THAT is lazy.

flannan likes this.
  10. flannan

flannan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1) Natural language isn't really meant to describe how awesome fantasy characters are. RPG systems, on the other hand, exist exactly for that. So using a game system helps you keep track of how awesome your MCs are, and how they aren't just almighty gods.
    2) If you're a numbers person, like a physicist or a mathematician, RPG systems are convenient and easy to use. It's putting things into words that is hard.
    These days, it also applies to fans of RPGs, both computer and tabletop ones.
    3) Things staying consistent is an important part of writing, and if you can't even remember how level ups work in your setting, you should just write it down.
    4) To modern kids, "fantasy" no longer means books like Lord of the Rings. Now it means whichever fantasy RPG was the author's favorite. And most of these RPGs took Dungeons and Dragons' "level" system, and went overboard with it. So now the only way you can possibly keep track of the extreme differences in power is using a similar level system.

11. Villager Anonymous

Villager Anonymous Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I have to disagree that they are the same as a leveling system leaves much more room for refinement where as stages of qi or magic could at best be used for pay to win mobile games due to the limited number of stages and unbalanced power spikes. That said it is generally used lazily as a lackluster reason to be op and write fillers. That said a well thought out one does require effort and has the potential to match.

12. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    I never said they are all the same, all I said is it makes no difference from perspective of lazy writing. No way of getting stronger or weaker is any more or less lazy. It's just a baseless stigma.

The only difference is that for system novels, since they are primarily numbers based, it is much easier for the author to mess up if they are not paying attention and be inconsistent. Like I've seen plenty of novels which tell you 5 points of strength is like 10x stronger hence MC easily beats someone in strength, but a few chapters later MC can hold their own in strength against someone with 10 points of strength higher as author tells you they are "close enough". But just because the flaws are more visible to the reader does not mean a level system is anyway more or less lazy than any other method.

Again, it's not the method, it's the way it is presented that shows if its lazy or not.

13. flannan

flannan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe that "strength" value has diminishing returns? It makes sense for stats like dexterity, but it's rare for strength, though.

14. EnuoFH

EnuoFH Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't think its a plot device that its lazy,i think author is lazy , if you want you can try to bring new things, to innovate with it, to bring more work in this kind of plot device, but it just don't happen you know? To me it doesnt need to be overly detailed or anything, but there is a need of a consistency and at least something more well done, i don't mind leveling or whatever to me its just the same as you getting stronger/better through training or something else but done in a different way

And i still don't mind too much even if its lazy as long it just dont break the whole setup because of it, since its unlikely the plot of the story being around it anyway so i will just take it as a minor problem or even a personal thing of not liking it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.