Discussion Discussion about opinions.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Deleted member 97520, Jan 16, 2020.

1. Deleted member 97520

Deleted member 97520 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    So, like the title said this will be a discussion about opinions.

Do you have anything you feel so strongly about that you force your opinions on others? Like how eating meat is animal abuse, some really bad feminism (the ones that say kill all men and crap) or just some general stuff?

I personally think that the ppl here are mostly level headed and rational, so I got a bit curious about this.

Also a really nice quote that I like that I discovered on RRL: Rationality is just but a tool to chase the irrational.

Loni4ever likes this.
  2. Devil of Boredom

Devil of Boredom Exists.

Reading List:
    Link
    Opinion whats that? Can I eat it ? Is it tasty ?
    On a serious note i just use logic and agree or disagree with others. I usually don't have much to say unless they are doing something stupid. And by the way the quote is amazing. Which novel is it from?

3. Deleted member 97520

Reading List:
    Link
    It's from Living A Long Life As A Legend by bor902... I can't remember the word for word, but it's something like that. I also don't know if it's original or not.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2020
  4. mir

mir Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I have a few. I won't go into detail.
    It boils down to 'hurting others intentionally just for the sake of it or for your own pleasure is wrong,
    and if you disagree you can shove your opinion up your own @$_, I mean, since you're already far up in there anyway.'

..... I think this thread topic has the potential to open up a can of worms.

5. juniorjawz

juniorjawz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Opinions are opinions.

Deleted member 155674 likes this.
  6. Loni4ever

Loni4ever The Fluffy White Wolf

Reading List:
    Link
    I seldom force my opinions on others but that doesn't mean it'll make no difference whether someone has the same opinions as me or not. I kinda doubt forcing your opinion on someone will change anything... aside from either party's mood for the worse, that is.
    Besides, I think I'm able to somewhat understand the opinions of a lot of people. It very rarely gets to a point where someone's opinion just seems wrong to me, where I have no clue how they got it and would rather see it removed from the world. Can't remember any instance like that actually XD
    But yeah, as I said, it does make a difference. If someone's opinions differ strongly from mine, I may be able to have a polite open-minded discussion with them but I will most likely be unable to interact with them too closely. There has to be a certain distance between us for me to be able to be somewhat comfortable with very differing opinions.

Since you already mentioned this
    this topic is one where I'd be unable to form a deep bond with someone whose opinion on it heavily differs from mine.
    I don't eat animal products, and although I don't think it's wrong, I avoid supporting it if/when at all possible. Although I don't think it's wrong, I'm still not comfortable with it... once you reach a certain level of empathy with other beings, it's difficult to just switch it off and pretend like what you see people doing everyday doesn't contradict your own values.
    I mostly don't like talking about this either since it may come across as me unnecessarily spreading unpleasant feelings and as a result alienating the people I'm talking to xD but well...
    So yeah. I don't force it on others but it's so deeply ingrained in me that it influences my behaviour a whole lot.
    Getting very close to someone who consumes a lot of animal products would remind me of this thing happening all the time. And it'd make me really sad so I typically keep my interactions to somewhat surface level. Might sound very impractical but what can you do. Otherwise it'd be like
    "Second hand suffering, brought to you courtesy of
    ✧・゚: *✧・゚:*Empathy*:・゚✧*:・゚✧" all the time XD

not sure if I really agree with this quote... cause if someone's really irrational, there's nothing you can do by using rationality. Yanno when someone's arguing crappily and you can kinda see that your logic is getting to them and they're sweating but still won't admit they're wrong? They may act irrational but they are somewhat rational, otherwise they wouldn't even notice sth's not going well for themselves and wouldn't be uncomfortable. A truly irrational person would just insist on their opinion without batting an eye xD

lychee and mir like this.
  7. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    • Do I want to force my opnions on others?
    No I don't
    • Do I like it if someone shares the same opinion as me or see things the same way as I do?
    Yes I like it very much, that's why I will try to make others see things the way I do or at least make them understand my perspective if possible, while I really don't care but I would rather evade any misunderstandings

Loni4ever likes this.
  8. Deleted member 97520

Reading List:
    Link
    @Loni4ever by the quote I meant things like chasing dreams of... Idk... in the novel it was immortality.

I'm not a very empathetic person, but I can imagine what other people may feel like... I usually just don't care if they're not close to me. Like family.

I guess this whole thread was made so we could have a better understanding of each other, for example I didin't know that you don't eat meat (I like meat, but that's just my opinion), you're an empathetic person and I have no idea how me being this... callous in mentioning the animal abuse crap will affect our relationship (if you popping out everywhere can be called one).

Loni4ever likes this.
  9. Deleted member 97520

Reading List:
    Link
    What about those so stubborn that they refuse to see other perspectives?

10. Loni4ever

Reading List:
    Link
    ooooh so that's what it meant... I sure love the English language but dang, its simpleness can sure lead to misunderstandings sometimes xD

Not much I think? I can somewhat understand you and you seem to be understanding too :blob_grin: so I'll just continue popping out everywhere XD

Deleted member 155674 likes this.
  11. Deleted member 97520

Reading List:
    Link
    I'll be understanding as long as ppl aren't being unnecessarily toxic and refusing facts. If it's the latter, I'll walk out... actually I'll just walk out in both cases. No need to start arguing with ppl like that.

12. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    As I said, I will try, I will be happy if they understand my point but if they don't then nothing to do about it

13. Loni4ever

Reading List:
    Link
    same, that'd be pretty much the point where I'd walk out... and revisit it as a spectator. This stuff can get quite entertaining :blobpopcorn::blobpopcorn::blobjoy:

14. Deleted member 97520

Reading List:
    Link
    Yah, and then you can make it worse by trolling.

Loni4ever likes this.