[Poll] Build or destroy?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by lychee, Jan 16, 2020.

Tags:
?

Would you build or destroy?

1. I'm male - I would work hard to improve the jenga block city

6 vote(s)
    13.3%
  2. I'm male - I would add a bunch to the jenga block city

6 vote(s)
    13.3%
  3. I'm male - I might add a piece or two

5 vote(s)
    11.1%
  4. I'm male - I would disassemble and rebuild some parts

4 vote(s)
    8.9%
  5. I'm male - I would modify some parts

2 vote(s)
    4.4%
  6. I'm male - I would do nothing

2 vote(s)
    4.4%
  7. I'm male - I would remove a piece or two

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. I'm male - I would disassemble quite a bit

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  9. I'm male - I would knock over some buildings

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. I'm male - I would knock down everything

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  11. I'm male - I'm unsure

2 vote(s)
    4.4%
  12. I'm female - I would work hard to improve the jenga block city

4 vote(s)
    8.9%
  13. I'm female - I would add a bunch to the jenga block city

3 vote(s)
    6.7%
  14. I'm female - I might add a piece or two

3 vote(s)
    6.7%
  15. I'm female - I would disassemble and rebuild some parts

2 vote(s)
    4.4%
  16. I'm female - I would modify some parts

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  17. I'm female - I would do nothing

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  18. I'm female - I would remove a piece or two

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  19. I'm female - I would disassemble quite a bit

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  20. I'm female - I would knock over some buildings

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  21. I'm female - I would knock down everything

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  22. I'm female - I'm unsure

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  23. I do not wish to respond

3 vote(s)
    6.7%
  1. lychee

lychee [- slightly morbid fruit -] ❀[ 恋爱? ]❀

Reading List:
    Link
    :blobicecreamlove::blobicecreamlove::blobicecreamlove:

You were visiting the local library today, and there is a table in the lobby with a large number of jenga blocks.

This table has been present in the lobby for many months, and you often see various people randomly adding a few more pieces to it whenever they pass by. Sometimes, you see kids knocking down pieces. Anybody is allowed to play with the table.

Over time, the table has accumulated a large number of structures — kind of like a jenga block city. The city is made up of many haphazardly placed buildings and wooden blocks such as these:

[​IMG]

+ + + ​

Today, you are waiting for a friend in the lobby so you have twenty minutes of time to kill. You accidentally left your cellphone at home, so playing with your phone is not an option. Leaving the lobby is not a good idea because it may be difficult for you to find your friend later.

There is nobody else in the lobby right now.

Currently, you are staring at the table of jenga blocks.

It would take a single push to knock a large portion of it over. Alternatively, you could add some more blocks and make the wooden city bigger.
    1. What do you do?

2. In general, do you prefer to "build" or "destroy"?

3. Do you think most people prefer to "build" or "destroy"?

4. Why do people like to "destroy" things?

5. If you like to "destroy" things, are there situations where you wouldn't "destroy" something? Why don't you "destroy" whatever you like? When is it not okay to "destroy"?

NamGi, imK and otaku31 like this.
  2. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Being ham-handed, I doubt I could I add anything. Wouldn't destroy, but would take a photo as memento as I appreciate creativity.

Lurking, Loni4ever, Diametric and 2 others like this.
  3. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    1. What do you do?
    Optimize the crap out of the mini-city. I'll rearrange blocks that look weird and make it all look as good as I can make it in that short period of time.

Build.

I think people prefer to build things, but that's just in my experience inside my social circle.

Because it can be fun and requires less thinking than building things.

5. If you like to "destroy" things, are there situations where you wouldn't "destroy" something? Why don't you "destroy" whatever you like? When is it not okay to "destroy"?
    I do destroy things sometimes, but only things that are already broken. I quite enjoy disassembling random things so I can take a look at their inner workings.

Loni4ever, imK and thisworldofmine1 like this.
  4. AMissingLinguist

AMissingLinguist [Not Here][Blank Sect][Nuffian #N]

Reading List:
    Link
    Does all your polls have to do with gender? Are you planning a decade spanning book that uses all your polls to showcase how men and women are similar or different? :blobhyperthink::blobhyperthink::blobhyperthink::blobhyperthink::blobhyperthink::blobhyperthink::blobhyperthink:

1. I don't have a phone, but I do bring my laptop wherever I go. Poll is subverted! :blobowoevil:
    2. No preference.
    3. Explosions are fun. Catharsis is the phenomenon of letting feelings out, which can be accomplished quickly by destroying things. (Please consult a real psychologist for better answers.)
    4. Reality is an illusion. Energy cannot be created, nor destroyed. As for me, I prefer to listen to music. No need to destroy anything, unless there's some form of danger or long term contamination. Most people would agree that destroying or stopping toxic waste is a good form of destruction. Converting toxic waste to something else instead of destroying it would also be a good alternative.

:cookie::cookie::cookie:

Loni4ever, Diametric, imK and 3 others like this.
  5. lychee

lychee [- slightly morbid fruit -] ❀[ 恋爱? ]❀

Reading List:
    Link
    That's a good question!

Actually, in an ideal world, I would love to substratify most of these polls on all sorts of variables, including age, country, marital/dating status, liberal/conservative... gender just happens to be the easiest one. :blobsmilehappyeyes:

If @lychee made a poll site with more questions, would people go and answer on it? :aww::aww::aww::aww:

6. Snowbun

Snowbun

Reading List:
    Link
    I graduated in Architecture and Urban Planning.
    I hate sand and sun but spent 2.5 hours last time I went to the beach building up a fort with only my hands and a plastic cup.
    It was destroyed in 15min. after sunset when the tide went up.
    IF YOU GIVE ME BLOCKS I CAN PLAY ALL DAY!

I think demolishing or taking apart things is fun too as long as it has a purpose: recycling, rebuilding, etc.
    I don't usually destroy stuff but I like grinding and chopping things like ingredients for food. It's sorta therapeutic at times.

Loni4ever, arashi-chan12, imK and 5 others like this.
  7. AMissingLinguist

AMissingLinguist [Not Here][Blank Sect][Nuffian #N]

Reading List:
    Link
    A poll site is unlikely to have many visitors. I can't imagine a lot of people enjoy using their time to answer question after question unless there's some kind of big incentive, but that's just how I think. Maybe you can create a poll about creating a poll website!
    :cookie::cookie::cookie:<-This is my poll thinking face.

imK likes this.
  8. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Don't spread the news, poll haters will attack that website :notlikeblob:
    Poor lychee will cry :blobsob:
    On the other hand NUF might no longer get polls, kind of interesting to think of the number of shit posts that might happen because nuffians will be deprived of the lychee polls :hmm:, you know what, I changed my mind, spread the news @AMissingLinguist, I want to see what will happen :aww:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2020
  9. Stormaggeddon

Stormaggeddon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    'cause I'M AN ASSHOLE. I'M AN ASSHOLE. A-S-S-H-O-L-E MUUHAHAHA

Loni4ever and imK like this.
  10. Blitz

Blitz ⛈️ awakened from the reverie❄️

Reading List:
    Link
    ............I accidentally pressed the back button and jumped to a previous page. It didn't autosave anything. I spent 10 minutes on writing an answer.:blob_catflip::blob_catflip::blob_catflip:

11. felidormit

felidormit probably asleep.

Reading List:
    Link
    i think i'll just stare at every of that wood pieces for a very long time and see if i can notice the details.

i probably will try to add something to the wooden city, only to fail at giving a nice addition and knock off a jenga tower in the process. seeing the blocks fall after another in misery, the brute within me will say, [​IMG]
    and that will be the start of me toppling buildings with joy.

Loni4ever and imK like this.
  12. Diametric

Diametric Waifu Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    1) I'd maybe build a little thing, or move some things around. Nothing too major, in fear of ruining it all.

2) In this situation, I think it's not really that related to "building" or "destroying", but which would be more engaging. If all I have to do to destroy the city is a single push, then that's one big catharsis followed by boredome in comparison. By setting a goal to improve the city a bit, I have to think through what would look nice and be dextrous for an extended period of time, all while under the threat of accidentally ruining everything.

In comparison, If all I had to do to build the city was press a button and watch one pop out of the ground, and to destroy the city I would have to solve a puzzle and remove the pieces in a specific order, then destroying the city would be more enjoyable.

In general, "building" things tends to be more engaging and destroying things tends to have negative consequences for other people. Since I am neither a masochist who enjoys being bored (not to mention getting punished for destroying things), nor a sadist who enjoys watching others suffer, "building" seems to be better than "destroying" for me.

3) I think it's like how I said in (2) for most other people, too.

4) An innocent answer would be that watching something ordered be reduced to chaos can be cathartic.
    A less innocent answer would be that people sadistically enjoy indulging in the idea that they are more powerul than the thing they are destroying.

5) Morally, I don't think it's acceptable to destroy something that you don't own unless it is infringing on you moral rights (kinda like self-defence in a more abstract way). To what degree it would have to be affecting you in comparison to the scale of the harm you would cause to others by destroying it isn't very clear, though.

Personally, (since I'm sociopathic :blobcurse:) my judgement on whether I would destroy something would boil down to how much I would enjoy it vs what are the chances of me getting caught.

Loni4ever, Mnotia, otaku31 and 4 others like this.
  13. arashi-chan12

arashi-chan12 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1. What do you do?
    Add onto it, or bask in it's Glory lol

The blocks aren't hurting anything, and since it's been left there then the library must've let it be. They could easily clean it up during closing time but it's been there for days, if it's not approved by the library then there must be some reason they haven't gotten rid of it yet.

Plus, don't be too sure there aren't security cameras lol. Even if it's not a crime, you'll be outed as a big douche to everyone else who built or appreciated the structures lol

Build!

I've always been fascinated by the concept of creating something out of nothing, aka creative arts.

Not sure. I haven't read the other replies but given the choice in that situation in real life, I doubt many would actually choose destruction.

Because they want to see the world crash and burn? Lol

Maybe it's more they revel in having power. It's thrilling when all the power rests in your hand to decide fate, and the satisfaction of the reasoning of your decision that comes after feels pretty good too (this might just be me though). Basically a small god complex?

"I am feeling generous today, so I will save you small, pitiful mortals from my Divine wrath." *Smug face* lol jk

Versus directly being told to destroy something and being told to decide to destroy something, I feel people would generally appreciate the latter more.

Though I get evil thoughts sometimes, I'd rather continue building or protecting something, especially if it was a communal effort. I only destroy my own things lol

At the end of the day, it all comes down to respect. I tend to put others before myself unless it concerns myself or self-interest.

Loni4ever, Diametric, Mnotia and 2 others like this.
  14. imK

imK Artful Dodger

Reading List:
    Link
    1. What do you do?
    Destroy and rebuild it in the middle of the table in order to maximize space for additional structures.

Depends on what you give me to work with. I build if I have a clean slate. I destroy if it serves no purpose. I rebuild if it can be improved.

No idea. Depends on the environment and their personality. I'll roll a dice and say build.

Too many reasons to list for others so I'll just state mine: Because it's fun. Because I don't want it to exist. Because I'm going to replace it with something I consider better. Because it's Wednesday and on Wednesday we destroy things.

I don't destroy anything that serves a useful purpose and/or doesn't impede my objectives. Other than that it's a case-by-case situation.

Loni4ever, Mnotia and Snowbun like this.
  15. imK

imK Artful Dodger

Reading List:
    Link
    I know it's not PC but seriously this song and Christmas in New York by The Pogues are still two of my favourite things.

Loni4ever likes this.
  16. keialpha

keialpha Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1. What do you do?
    I would remove a few piece to follow the normal jenga play style.
    In general I would build. However, isn't jenga designed to fall down? The "nature" of the game is such that it is designed to fall down. You can "nurture" it somewhat to be taller, but it is highly unstable, so the natural order of things is for it to fall down. Why fight nature in such a roundabout way when there are plenty of other things are designed to be much more stable?
    Build.
    Mostly to attract attention since it is different from norm. It is much harder to attract attention by creating something new.

Loni4ever, Mnotia and imK like this.
  17. auraizen

auraizen aeu •.*°☆「procrastinating 」『always sleepy』

Reading List:
    Link
    1. What do you do?
    Make another pretty structure
    Build, I rarely ever destroy because it makes me feel bad
    Build,not many people like to watch things crash and burn, unless it happens to someone they don't like
    It makes them happy? Helps them get rid of some stress probably

Loni4ever, Mnotia and imK like this.
  18. jbturkle

jbturkle Fruit

Reading List:
    Link
    I hear my calling
    1. What do you do?
    Jenga and Legos were my childhood. I will construct a full-blown scale model of Cardiff Castle.
    BUIIILDD. Upon completion, I would then have fun wrecking everything while pretending to be Godzilla, then get very embarrassed when I realize I'm in a public space and people are watching me.
    Destroying other people's work, protecting and building their own.
    I suppose two reasons. It's because of either some sort of intense feeling (such as jealousy, hatred, or revulsion) or that sadistic, addicting pleasure that you can get from seeing things crash and burn, so long as they happen tother people.

19. Mnotia

Mnotia The Trash Man

Reading List:
    Link
    1. What do you do?
    Imma build that bitch up
    I usually prefer to build cause if you destroy for no reason then you're pretty much a fucking asswipe
    I think most people would choose to destroy it cause theyd post it on their social media or just cause their asswipes
    They think it's funny to cause others pain and that people would think their edgy cause they did something no one likes.

imK and Loni4ever like this.
  20. Lazriser

Lazriser Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm thankful to you for not making your poll with its usual size. Your questions are HARDER to answer than your previous polls.
    1. I will... go into the Thinker's posture while contemplatively starting at the wooden city before me.
    2. First comes destruction, then creation anew.
    3. What do you see? I see all creation. To create is to destroy. One must replace the other.
    4. An interesting question, in fact. I like to explore on the destructive nature of mankind in another thread, but I shall not. It would require the cooperation of numerous fellow members here, and the time needed to discuss and decide which information is to be posted. I would join such a discussion if someone does start one. My bad, here's my answer: It's not a matter of like or dislike, but it's part of human nature - "curiosity". Not just humans, but other creatures have the Omega Factor in them as well. The Omega Factor is what makes lifeforms reproduce and die. Every species has an Omega Factor.
    5. It's all reliant on satisfying which makes you content based on your core values. Same could be said when deciding which should be destroyed or not. I did say it's not a matter of like or dislike when it comes to destruction, but core values are entirely on what your likes or dislike are, and these values are subject to change alongside on how one's worldview affects their view on what is worth keeping or not.
    Everything started from "curiosity". Try reading history of human civilizations.

imK likes this.