LCD Death Mage

Discussion in 'Latest Chapter Discussion' started by lygarx, May 21, 2017.

1. spycho357

spycho357 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I called it, the female vampire camp is jealous of fang's collar, but Chipuras was a pleasant surprise. I love the fact that Van is seriously considering making a spirit collar for him. Can't say Van doesn't love his people. My question is what was the 1 command fang couldn't understand?

2. jemini

jemini Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My guess, since it wasn't specified this chapter it must have been somewhere in the previous chapter when he had first met Fang. Will have to re-read that chapter in order to confirm said suspicion.

BTW

tirirism likes this.
  3. tirirism

tirirism He who dealt it

Reading List:
    Link
    So it's either:
    The battle of Morksi
    Or:
    Introduction of Magical girls to the town

4. jemini

jemini Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    For a moment, I thought you were talking about the command Fang couldn't understand because you had re-read the previous chapter. But, looks like you are trying to guess at what the countdown is for. (Since you have obviously read the RAW or MTL, I would think it should be easy to just count ahead on the chapters and see exactly what the countdown is for. This either/or stuff makes it pretty obvious you haven't for some reason, which is probably related to laziness in some form.)

5. spycho357

spycho357 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I have been in this forum for a while and i have been eagerly anticipating what that countdown means.

imafire and xshugox like this.
  6. kuroAnsatsu

kuroAnsatsu Realistically Stoic

Reading List:
    Link
    Why did the cover haven't been approved to be changed yet?
    I understand why the volume 5 didn't get accepted because of Rita and Saria's t*ties are quite the sight, but what's wrong with the volume 6? The exposure aren't that different with the first one

fec2c83d5f80163c7cf79fea82197327-450x662.jpg

7. kari-no-sugata

kari-no-sugata Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The raw term is 異形精神 which is basically a coined term formed of two words 異形 (grotesque) and 精神 (mind). 精神 is relatively simple and refers to the mind/spirit (not the soul or brain). 異形 can simply mean "atypical appearance" but can also mean things like "fantastic; grotesque; strange-looking", so which is right in this case? Given that the skill explanation specifically says that Van's the only "person" on Lambda with this skill and the only others with it are basically the evil gods from another world and that it's already an awakened skill I think it would be reasonable to use something more extreme sounding or more "horror" in theme.

Yes, Heinz is all too human...

So basically, while you don't condone what he's done you're not wishing for him to have a "bad end" either, right? If so, you're not the only one...

bf likes this.
  8. Overlord2019

Overlord2019 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That's the problem. He's decidedly not improving, at all, or even really trying. He's merely deluding himself that he is. To take your analogy and run it to its logical conclusion, he's not getting to a C starting from failing grades + family discord + no interest; he's a student that, let's be generous and give him a C- on his big midterm test, because he failed to make use of publicly available knowledge on his term-paper, and rather than admit his error, goes on to take his street gang, the five colored fruits, and tears apart the classroom, tortures the teacher into trying to have her give him a better grade, and setting her on fire when she refuses. Then as the gang is having a party to celebrate their rampage, he finds out she had a half-year old child and was a single mother, making him "feel sad."

Again, rather than admit his wrongdoing, he and his gang flee town in the middle of the night to another country, and join organized crime as "enforcers" and tell themselves they're actually cops, even wearing the uniform. Then they proceed to bust heads, knock over liquor stores, raid drug-dealers, etc. Leaving mountains of bodies in their wake, including helpless women and children, thinking that this is some bizarre kind of "atonement", and sneaking in a wikipedia article every now and then so Ketchup can one day go back to the principal and try to convince him the curriculum was wrong, not himself or his actions. But to the public at large, he lets himself look heroic because bandits and drug-dealers coincidentally happened to be on his list of murder targets.

Meanwhile, for some 10 odd years, the teacher's now orphaned babe bounces back and forth in the foster care system until he finds himself adopted by a family militia. He gets treated decently by said militia until the five colored fruits start coming after his adopted family too, and when then he retaliates, Ketchup cries out that not only did he do nothing wrong in the original murder, and the harassment, but insists that he's going to keep on threatening the people his victim cares for.. Yeah, Ketchup deserves to be hated, so hard!

As for chapter 209, the MTL had Fang be a Devil Dog, meaning the mutt has mutated into an US Marine! "They called us leathernecks, they called us 'devil dogs'... The few. The proud. The Marines."

Nimitz, bf and tirirism like this.
  9. tirirism

tirirism He who dealt it

Reading List:
    Link
    Laziness in its most pristine form. How dare you insult my laziness!!

jemini likes this.
  10. jemini

jemini Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm totally guilty of laziness as well. I have the excuse of time-crunch for why I hadn't gone through to figure out what the command Fang can't understand was before I made that last post, but laziness is definitely the reason why I do not plan to go digging for what it is now that I actually do have the time.

11. bf

bf Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Now this makes so much more sense to me. "weirdly shaped" (like potato that looks like it is gonna give you cancer if you eat it) "spirit/soul" is what the term directly means in Chinese. So now I can just mentally swap for that every time I read it. Thanks.

Yeah, the theme justifies changing it for the extreme horror sounding one. Oh this is so much translation fun.
    Aww, you guys are really showing that you aren't experienced in teaching. If some of our students could even pretend to be trying to improve... degenerates into tears in fetal position

The point is that he was originally just "My orders are to capture and deliver this gal", and he found "omg, I caused a death I really didn't want, so ugly, am I a bad person?". Just this recognition at all is already improvement. One has to first recognise a problem before any attempts at fixing them could consciously happen. That he spectacularly failed at that is something you might be annoyed at, but that is not going to help if the student isn't convinced that the folk remedy they are applying is no better than actually improving.

I can even give you a particularly relevant real world example. Every beginning physics student learns about Newton's 2nd Law. My maths is good and so I never had real problems with it, but even as a youngster I did curiously note that most of my peers were struggling way too much with it. One year, a particularly good teacher spent 9 months repeating the exact same mantra for how to draw free body diagrams and using N2L. I got so freaking bored out of my mind. So I actually just up and asked him why is he spending so much time on it.

Turns out, he had a wonderful explanation. Most of the cohort, even the ones good at maths (my class took Further Maths, so none of them could claim to be bad at technical manipulation) does not actually understand fully the mechanics of the system. As in, they notice that their gut instincts and intuition are wrong. They don't get the correct answers in exams. But they also don't want to learn the correct stuff. They want to take shortcuts and leap straight to answers, even if those are just wrong. The only reliable way to get them to change is to repeatedly bash their heads in with "if you do your way, you will be wrong. If you follow these simple instructions religiously, you will be correct" over and over until they conform, and finally they will get things reliably correct. And needless to say our class gets the best overall grades for mechanics at the end of it all. This is a sign of a teacher who cares.

In fact, this is an extremely well-known and researched headache. It is a direct example of a paradigm gap. The students are thinking in a medieval / Aristotelian manner, and those gut feelings are just plain wrong. We have to start by replacing the wrong stuff with correct Newtonian concept, and then build the new intuition around them. My preferred method is to directly confront students with problems, leading them to their own conclusions that their deeply held beliefs are just incompatible with the evidence. I do this because I find that giving students the rationale for why things are done is specific ways dramatically shortens the time needed for the bad habits to break. They would at least have an understanding why their prior stuff doesn't work, and stop wasting time trying to fit the new into the doomed. i.e. Most of my students don't have to suffer the entire 9 months just to get the basics right.

So, no, as an effective educator, I cannot endorse a "this person is not showing the results of actual improvement" kind of judgement. The reality will be more messy, and resemble something closer to the movie "The King's Speech" (first one). Those that merely want quick results, just end up with students able to jump through hoops in a certain way for the exams and lapse back into their wrong ways whenever outside the exam hall. My students don't do that. They might not remember the full reasoning why we have to do things our way, but they will remember that method X is never going to give correct answers.

penguinleecher likes this.
  12. kari-no-sugata

kari-no-sugata Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The "glass half full" view of Heinz...

He's like an alcoholic who has admitted to having a drinking problem and is now going to an AA class.

The "glass half empty" view of Heinz...

His actual drinking habits haven't materially changed.

Gin_Hindew, ZeroDelta and bf like this.
  13. tirirism

tirirism He who dealt it

Reading List:
    Link
    So what is the countdown for? :p

bf likes this.
  14. Feng Tian

Feng Tian Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link

Neiden likes this.
  15. sjmcc13

sjmcc13 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That is pretty much it, He is an entitled racist narcissist with a hero complex, and does not reflect on his actions properly because his ego can not handle that he was the villain way to often. He makes a token action and nothing else.

you ever see those stories of the delusional mother who denies that her "sweet little angel" could have cheated, really be the school bully, have raped a classmate, etc. Heinz is that for Alda, even knowing Alda is doing something wrong Heinz goal became to earn an audience to ask him why, not to try and fox the issue, or to get Alda to admit he is wrong, just ask what Alda's perfect reason is.

For me my opinion on Heinz is heavily influenced by something from an untranslated chapter :
    When Heinz gets to the end of the dungeon Alda made to train him, he finds a non-responsive Bellwood and sealed Evil God of Sinful Chains
    • EGoSC ability is to make people feel the weight of their sins, I think it was the suffering of their victims.
    • This effect caused Bellwood to realize he F-ed everything up and he has been doing nothing for 50 millennia because he feels he will just make things worse.
    • In order to walk up to Bellwood, Heinz has to walk over the EVoSC and be constantly effected by his ability while doing so.
    • it barely phased Heinz, the rest of the party barely made it a few steps.
    • Bellwood explained why he has been dormant, as he knows he F-ed up
    • Heinz then seems to use his Guidance to get Bellwood to move and respond.
    After this Heinz focus on training to be able to have a "talk" with Van and not die instantly, as opposed to using the knowledge from his personal hero Bellwood to actually start fixing things.

Also how he just screwed up the last arc and helped revive Guduranis because he ignored Van, went where he was not needed, and got in the way of Van and Avalon's fight. But he did this because his ego will not let him be anything other then the Hero "Justice" (by which he means the rape, murder enslavement and general oppression of anything other then the 3 original "human" races, because they do not have the same rights as people)
    I tried counting it once, and I think (though likely miscounted the chapters) it was
    Van offing EG of Joyful Life/the one the Vamps worshiped
    could be way off though.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
    Ghost-Plant and bf like this.
  16. bf

bf Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That is literally hurtful to me. That would be a botched job at character development in my eyes. Supremely human and utterly believable that such a character exists, but then it makes the moral judgement against him so dam easy. Where is the moral ambiguity gd it!!!??!!!

Then again, this fully explains why Alda needs him so much. Now I can just hate on him with no qualms. This makes me sad. It was so fun trying to figure out if the author had planned for some supreme plot twist at the end and tomato becomes a flawed but still moral person. Gaahhh I now want to be the me of 15 mins before, not knowing this spoiler!!

On a completely unrelated note, I am quite wary of Vandalieu becoming more and more divine. Yes, that boosts his raw power, but if he technically becomes a god, then technically Alda's judgement should affect him, unlike before when Vandalieu could just break the swords stabbing into Vida. Dam Alda, yer better hold on tightly to yer cushy law job; be a pity if someone puts you in jail with all the guys you put away.

17. sjmcc13

sjmcc13 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Only if he becomes a God of Lambda.... :whistle:

MonitorShotput and bf like this.
  18. jemini

jemini Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, unless you want to just count 16 RAW chapters ahead (counting side stories,) you will just have to find out when everyone else does.

Of course, I can repeat the clues I have to everyone else. 1. It is something significant enough to be more or less a game changer. 2. It is something that will have next to no predictability to it (despite the fact that it's been foreshadowed.) Next to no one will say "yeah, I predicted that was going to happen about now." But, a few people might say "about time, I was certain that would happen at some point in the story, just didn't necessarily know it would be now."

19. Eddy andres

Eddy andres Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I feel touched by this, because basically I am the student you described, mostly because of my own incapacity in some aspects and on the other hand, a pride and stubbornness that prevents me from doing the things that I know fit, besides basically getting to The university dragged and although I do not use traps, I ended up using a bottleneck method that only absorbed 20% or 40% of everything I was taught.

Heinz arc is a bit more complicated than that, at one point he and vandeliu (a modified family member for combat) meet again and instead of judging their actions, they decide to talk about 2 aspects.

The first is the opinion of selen and the "innocent" members of his group about how his revenge is unnecessary now that his mother has been revived and that she has been saved by them, but that vandeliu denies on the grounds that they did not help Nothing to the resurrection of Darcia and that adopting Selen does not change the fact that they basically left Darcia and Vandeliu at his death.

The second is vandeliu's motivations, which consist in the destruction of any threat to his loved ones, especially darcia, to the point of destroying potential threats whether intentional, accidental, possible or impossible. of course, they cannot understand such an extreme thought (for the perspective of any human being in general, but not for vandeliu that it has already been shown that both his race and thought process are completely different from ours) that ironically it is very similar to politics of extermination of arda life races, but the latter allows him to understand vandeliu a little more, implying that in the hate hierarchy of vandeliu, the group itself is above the arda faction, and in an increase in his complex of hero of justice for better?, he begins to think about the possibility of creating a peace treaty between the faction of vida and Arda, in exchange for his life to ensure the survival of his friends and of all humanity, something that I think is possible and that although it is one more stage of the hero complex of heiz, it shows that he really cares about the people around him and beyond his eyes, and that he is really starting to try to understand Der your enemy instead of simply killing him.

bf likes this.
  20. tirirism

tirirism He who dealt it

Reading List:
    Link
    WAIT! I think I got it. Still not gonna count 16 chapters tho :cool:

Btw, how many races are there that can have both Ranks and Jobs? Or am I tripping?